Data not saving from bound form when control loses focus

Hello,

I noticed this thread:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.access.formscoding/browse_thread/thread/9cea14add792f567/47e8c7ca272a99b9?lnk=gst&q=save+data+control+focus#47e8c7ca272a99b9

In this thread it says that if a form is bound (which mine is to a
query) when a user moves from control to control it should save when
the control loses focus.
It currently saves when users close or move from record to record
however this is causing problems as sometimes users use a custom
toolbar which opens up popup forms to perform other tasks, which dont
close or affect the bound form (so no data saved).

Also if a user edits a control on the bound form then clicks a button
to go to another form related to the bound form, the recently edited
value is the original (so the data isnt saving).
For the second problem I know I can input Me.Dirty commands in the
button to force refreshes, however after reading that thread that it
should auto save anyway I feel it is a problem with my database.

Obviously I would want this applied to all forms with the minimum
effort.

Can you think of any way to do this?
Also is what is mentioned in the thread above true? Should it auto
save?

Thanks
0
Veus

I believe you misread the post.  A record is only saved when you move to
another existing record or add a new record or when you close the form.  Your
problem may be the custom toolbar or moving to another form.

I would suggest you use the Me.Dirty to save the record when you need to.
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"Veus" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I noticed this thread:
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.access.formscoding/browse_thread/thread/9cea14add792f567/47e8c7ca272a99b9?lnk=gst&q=save+data+control+focus#47e8c7ca272a99b9
>
> In this thread it says that if a form is bound (which mine is to a
> query) when a user moves from control to control it should save when
> the control loses focus.
> It currently saves when users close or move from record to record
> however this is causing problems as sometimes users use a custom
> toolbar which opens up popup forms to perform other tasks, which dont
> close or affect the bound form (so no data saved).
>
> Also if a user edits a control on the bound form then clicks a button
> to go to another form related to the bound form, the recently edited
> value is the original (so the data isnt saving).
> For the second problem I know I can input Me.Dirty commands in the
> button to force refreshes, however after reading that thread that it
> should auto save anyway I feel it is a problem with my database.
>
> Obviously I would want this applied to all forms with the minimum
> effort.
>
> Can you think of any way to do this?
> Also is what is mentioned in the thread above true? Should it auto
> save?
>
> Thanks

Move Control to another Form Problem
This Control Button I want to move from my MainMenu Form to the form that contains the the List Box [lstModify], which is where my Invoices sit to be distributed, When I moved the control I got a yellow error on {subSetInvoiceValues} thanks for any help......BobPrivate Sub cmdDistributeAllInvoices_Click() Dim nRtnValue As Integer nRtnValue = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to Distribute All Invoices?" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "If you choose Yes, all the Invoices will have Invoice Numbers.", vbCritical + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, "Distribute all Invoices"...

Displaying multivalue field data in report
I have an Access 2007 database that was built upon the Access Contacts template. A multivalue field called Tags was added to the Contacts table that may have any or all values available in a table called Attributes. I have some sample data of contacts where the tag field for a record may contain a single tag like smart, or several values like smart, tall, agressive. When I try to display the tag values for each record in a report the displayed value is numeric like 2, 4, 7. How can I get the report to show the actual values instead of what appears to be an index value for eac...

Help
Hope someone can see the error of my way. I have a workbook saves as a template. Each week I receive a new excel file (data dump) from payroll timesheets of all the employee's hours charged to the different job codes and projects they worked on for the week. With this file open, I run the below macro. I only use two colunms, job numbers and hours from the original file. I copy the two columns, then open the template, paste the data into the newly created file, input the week ending date in a cell (that cell is referenced in the chart title), then do a save, then ask for it to calculat...

Be very careful using Money (2006) tax related data!!!
For a long time I learned to hate Microsoft products quality. Money is no better in that respect. Capital gains reports that you may want to use for tax purposes are patently wrong. Here is an example: I was putting money periodically into a mutual fund for past ten years. At the end of this year I decided to sell it because I racked up price appreciation loss and wanted to cover some other capital gains. Money 2006 was showing this correctly in portfolio view. I sold the fund and recorded the sell transaction (specified "by lot"). Money proceeded to tell me that I had an absurd amo...

data base crash
hello, i am an exchange adminisrator in the ministry of foreign affairs in israel and one of the exchange servers in the embassy in rome crashed. it is an exchange server 5.5 with service pack 4. i have tryed to make a soft recovery(eseutil /r), and a hard recovery. the hard recovery for the pub.edb file worked but the recovery for the priv.edb file(4.5 gb) dose not work, it is just stuck in the same table all the time. the eseutil /p is running for more than 10(!!!) hours without showing any sign or error number. what else can i do??? please let me know as fast as you can by email. tha...

Scrolling a static control?
Given a narrow "static" control on a dialog, it's text can be set using SetWindowText("Some looong text here...."). That same long text can be retrieved with GetWindowText(). What's missing is the ability to select the text while holding down the left mouse button. Enabling the SS_NOTIFY style on the control itself will notify the parent of things like WM_LBUTTONDOWN, WM_MOUSEMOVE, and WM_LBUTTONUP messages, but can anything be done to scroll and select the text? Thanks, DC You cannot do that with a static control. An alternative is to use a CEditBox control ...

error in Forms Printer with retrieving data
Hello: In GP 10.0 with Forms Printer and Crystal XI, I added a SQL view that I created in the database. This view was not in the report, until this point. Then, when I printed the report, I got an error onscreen saying that the report was unable to retrieve data. I clicked OK and received two subsequent messages--Invalid File Name and Invalid Job Number. Any ideas? childofthe1980s Not sure which formsprinter is being used, but did you grant access to DYNGRP for the view. -- Mick "childofthe1980s" wrote: > Hello: > > In GP 10.0 with Forms Printer and Crystal X...

SRS to open Record of Focus
Hello All! Customer needs to use SRS to open custom quote while in CRM Quote Form. I have added button that points to custom SRS Report, but don't know how to pass the info from the quote of focus to let SRS know which customer record to display when running the report. I believe I can prompt for this parameter in SRS, but this would be an extra user step; as they already have the quote form open. Thought about src attribute, but SRS isn't looking for url... Any ideas? Hi, There is already a facility for reports which you can use instead of creating it yourself if I understo...

how do i print tiles to form a banner
I'm trying to print from my home computer a banner 2 pages wide. Simple right...but i can't find the menu to print in tiles. Please help! There is no such menu in Word, because Word can't do banners. Do it in Publisher or, if you don't have that program in your version of Office, try using Excel. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. Joy wrote: > I'm trying to print from my home computer a banner 2 pages wide. > Si...

Report Writer (Modify Stock PO Form)
I need to add a comment to all PO's forms. (ie. "All corespondents must reference the above PO number.") Can someone walk me through the process from start to finish or show me where to find this info. thanks, GP9.0 SP3 -- Christian S South Carolina Christian, If this is a comment that will be used very often, then you can create a comment ID in the Comment Setup window (Tools > Setup > Company > Comments) by entering the Comment ID, i.e., POREFRNCE. and setting the series to Purchasing. When you create your PO, you can select this comment ID from the lookup. ...

Programatically Change Recordsource SQL of a form
I am wondering if it is possible to have the record source of a form be the SELECT query of a table that would be "defined" by the entry the user makes on a field in the form. Example - 3 tables all have the same fields, they are named: 55091 55104 55116 The user opens the form and enters the ZipCode they are working with in a field - 55901. I'd like to program the form so that the record source becomes SELECT * From 55901. It seems like that would be something simple ... I would also welcome any feed back as to whether this would be a wise set up. A lit...

saving data as access97 format
Is saving data as access97 format possible using Access2002? If yes, how is it done? Or how would i modify the application so it would read Access2002 file? Hello, Yes you can convert an Access97 to Access2002 Format : Go to Tools-> Database Utilities-> Convert Database-> To Access97 File Format Regards, "James" <jtnchang@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:050e01c34f5a$7d59bd70$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is saving data as access97 format possible using > Access2002? If yes, how is it done? Or how would i > modify the application so it would read Access200...

Best way to play Video files on an Access form?
Hello, My client has an Access front end with an SQL Server back end that will be storing Videos. The client wants to play those videos on an Access form. I know I can use Windows Media Player, but just wondering if anyone has experience doing this that has some insight on what the best way to handle this is. I know Media Player can be a bit of a pig, so if there is a better solution, I would love to hear it. Thanks! Rico ...

What controls what appears in the Title Bar?
I have a user who usually runs Outlook 2007 with several calendars open: her own, and calendars of two other people in her department If she has only her own calendar open the title bar says 'Calendar - Microsoft Outlook'. If she has these shared calendars open, the title bar shows the name of one of the people who's calendar she has open, i.e. 'Bob Smith - Microsoft Outlook' She would like the title bar to display 'Calendar - Microsoft Outlook' all the time, regardless of who's calendar she has open. Can this be done? Thanks, Jim By the way, our back...

Preventing other users saving another version of protected workboo
I have protected a workbook with locked cells and unlocked cells that can be edited. I would like to prevent the user from "saving as" and abusing the protection. Is this possible? Saving As will not alter the protection. "Laura Cook" <laura.cook@strand.ltd.uk.(nospam)> wrote in message news:B8ED3CA2-108C-48D3-8D08-FA233E136A7B@microsoft.com... >I have protected a workbook with locked cells and unlocked cells that can >be > edited. I would like to prevent the user from "saving as" and abusing the > protection. Is this possible? ...

Missing "Save Embedded Files dialog box"
I am using Frontpage 2003 (portable). After replacing my harddrive and reinstalling Frontpage 2003 I am unable to upload pictures to my website. The "Save Embedded Files dialog box" is missing and does not come up after adding a new picture to a page and saving. Suggestions? Import your images into FP web/site first (into folder of your choice), then place them into your design...you will never have a problem doing it this way. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "USKDMMA" <USKDMMA@discussions.micro...

question....Can a query retrieve data from a streaming java table?
I have been told it cant but would like to make sure by asking a few more technically minded people.............. If it can would someone like to let me know how to go about capturing some data? thanks ....... ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Data validation to prevent duplicate entry.
with refer to this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213185 you can use this formula =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1 for data validation to prevent duplicate entry. This is very simple and easy to understand. ...

HELP- Copy a Data Series to Other Graphs?
Hi- I'm using Excel 2002 and I've got a lot of XY (Scatter) graphs. When I add a new data series to one graph, it is defined by 3 values (Name, X Value and Y Value) If I want to add this data series to 7 or 8 add'l graphs, I know that I can copy/paste these 3 values to each of them. Is there a simpler way to accomplish this? thnx ...

How to store hidden binary data?
hi! is there any interface (like Variables in MS Word) in Excel and powerpoint. actually i want to store some hidden binary data through VBA in PowerPoint and Excel. in word i have used document variable for it. but now i have to do same in Excel and Powerpoint. Any Idea about. Thanks in advance. Ahmad either a hidden worksheet or names. you can add names with .visible=false that cannot be seen without vba. (or users may have Name Manager addin) -- keepITcool | www.XLsupport.com | keepITcool chello nl | amsterdam Ahmad wrote : > hi! > > is there any interface (like Vari...

Questionnaire forms in outlook 2003
I'm trying to create a questionarie, but haven't progressed a lot. I want to have several text fields (at least) where my colleagues enter their opinion and a button which send geathered information back to me. I try to use e-mail forms. I've created one, disabled reply (and so on) buttons. I tried to create one extra action, but don't know what form name to provide. Survey forms work in Outlook only if you can publish them to the = Organizational Forms library on the Exchange Server. If you can't do = that, then you need to consider a different approach.=20 The same...

Custom shortcutmenu for commandbutton to open form with arguments
How does one create a custom shortcutmenu to set to a CommandButton that will open up a form passing in arguments from the current form, all in Access 2007 and VBA? Attached is some code that I use for a custom shortcut menu that I use on most of my forms. I call the subroutine when my Splash screen loads, and then use the click event of a control on my form (usually a label in the upper left corner of the form) to display the shorcut menu, using: CommandBars("MyFormMenu").ShowPopup What you will need to do is change the references to fnCloseForm to a new function th...

where can I find an excel file I "saved as" in OLKE9?
I saved over an EXCELL file that someone sent to me in OUTLOOK, after adding hours of data. Unfortunately I clicked "save as" but did not change the directory. It has saved my EXCEL FILE in a folder called OLKE9. I have searchjed the path, but cant fnd the file (I am displaying hidden files). Please help, I need this file in only 8 hours time or my life will be a misery. Easy way: Open ANY file (EXCEPT THAT ONE!!) through Outlook, and hit File-->Save as. That'll take you to the OLK folder. If you don't see it, likely, it's gone. Never, ever open files attached ...

save as,
hi, is there any way that i can save a copy of my document, in vba cod under a new name, and not change my open document to the new name /jock -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Jocke Have a look at the SaveCopyAs-method. -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "jocke >" <<jocke.155t56@excelforum-nospam.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:jocke.155t56@excelforum-nospam.com... > hi, is there any way that i can save a copy of my document, in vba code > under a new name, and not change my open document to the new name > &g...

To Include All Data
Assuming i hv two tables and same fieldacno as per below :- TblA TblB FieldAcno FieldAcno A A B D C E How to create a query that joined fieldacno from the two tables but will produce records of A,B,C,D & E. hi, On 23.02.2010 10:14, zyus wrote: > How to create a query that joined fieldacno from the two tables but will > produce records of A,B,C,D& E. Take a look at the UNION query. As SQL: SELECT fieldacno FROM TblA UNION SELECT fieldacno FROM TblB Also take at the d...