Conditional Formatting - Worked - Bad - Doesn't Work

I set a text box for conditional formatting based on a check box (no check
- normal, checked- bold, red bg, yellow font). I did this to 6 text boxes
(based on 6 check boxes).
This is the code I used:
[Check183].Value=-1

The first time I did one box, it worked, when I coded the other 5, I got
some out of memory error and could not open up the form again. Luckily, I
had a backup (that i created right before playing with this). When I did
one, it didn't work, nor all 6, but it didn't give me the memory error.

Any ideas?

Vic
0
Victor

Victor wrote:

>I set a text box for conditional formatting based on a check box (no check
>- normal, checked- bold, red bg, yellow font). I did this to 6 text boxes
>(based on 6 check boxes).
>This is the code I used:
>[Check183].Value=-1
>
>The first time I did one box, it worked, when I coded the other 5, I got
>some out of memory error and could not open up the form again. Luckily, I
>had a backup (that i created right before playing with this). When I did
>one, it didn't work, nor all 6, but it didn't give me the memory error.

I would expect  [Check183] = -1 to work IF you are using the
Expression Is option.

If it doesn't, I suspect your form is corrupted.  Try
creating a new blank database, set all it's options as
needed (especially that Name Auto Correct is OFF), and then
import everything from the problem database.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Quick question, why does it do the formating if = -1, not 1 (yes or
checked)?
May help me in the future :)

Thanks again

Marshall Barton <marshbarton@wowway.com> wrote in

> Victor wrote:
>
>>I set a text box for conditional formatting based on a check box (no
>>check - normal, checked- bold, red bg, yellow font). I did this to 6
>>text boxes (based on 6 check boxes).
>>This is the code I used:
>>[Check183].Value=-1
>>
>>The first time I did one box, it worked, when I coded the other 5, I
>>got some out of memory error and could not open up the form again.
>>Luckily, I had a backup (that i created right before playing with
>>this). When I did one, it didn't work, nor all 6, but it didn't give
>>me the memory error.
>
> I would expect  [Check183] = -1 to work IF you are using the
> Expression Is option.
>
> If it doesn't, I suspect your form is corrupted.  Try
> creating a new blank database, set all it's options as
> needed (especially that Name Auto Correct is OFF), and then
> import everything from the problem database.

0
Victor
5/7/2010 2:10:45 AM
On 07 May 2010 02:10:45 GMT, Victor <not@home.com> wrote:

>Quick question, why does it do the formating if = -1, not 1 (yes or
>checked)?

In an Access JET/ACE backend, a Yes/No field is in fact stored as -1 for Yes,
0 for No.

If the backend is SQL/Server it's possible (but not obligatory) that the field
is a BIT field, with 1 being Yes and 0 being No.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in

> On 07 May 2010 02:10:45 GMT, Victor <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>>Quick question, why does it do the formating if = -1, not 1 (yes or
>>checked)?
>
> In an Access JET/ACE backend, a Yes/No field is in fact stored as -1
> for Yes, 0 for No.
>
> If the backend is SQL/Server it's possible (but not obligatory) that
> the field is a BIT field, with 1 being Yes and 0 being No.

0
Victor
5/7/2010 1:18:40 PM
On 07 May 2010 13:18:40 GMT, Victor <not@home.com> wrote:

>Very weird. I coded it as was advised  [Check183]=-1 for EXPRESSION IS.
>It worked. When I reopened the db up later to do some more work, it doesn't
>work now, but the coding for the CF is still there.

"Doesn't work" is a bit hard to answer...
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

> On 07 May 2010 13:18:40 GMT, Victor <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>>Very weird. I coded it as was advised  [Check183]=-1 for EXPRESSION
>>IS. It worked. When I reopened the db up later to do some more work,
>>it doesn't work now, but the coding for the CF is still there.
>
> "Doesn't work" is a bit hard to answer...

Doesn't work as in if I check the box (Check183), it doesn't change the
formating of the text box that I put the conditional code in (Bold, Red BG,
Yellow Font).  It worked when I first did it then saved it, closed Access,
opened it later, didn't work. Checked to see if the coding was still there,
it was.

0
Victor
5/7/2010 8:52:50 PM
It seems cleaning up a few left over prt_click()s solved all my problems.
Thanks for the direction to look into.

Vito/Victor>

0
Victor

Newsgroups doesn't work
When using MS Newsgroups, I am able to navigate to any category with no problem. Once in however, when I see a message of interest, I can read the question but when I click the + sign for the response, the + changes to - but the response does not appear. When I click on "Contact us", I select one of the threer choices then click continue. Nothing happens. I've tried every way to contact Microsoft on my machine , all unsuccessful. I'm sending this plea on my daughters machine. I've tried twice to get some help from Dell to no avail. I apologize for posting this...

Alt + A doesn't work in Payables Trx Entry Distribution Window
In Version 9, there's a problem with the Alt+A keyboard shortcut in the Payables Trx Entry Distribution Window. When you use the Alt+A it accessed Transactions from the Menu rather than selcting the Default button from the Distribution Window. There are other problems with Alt + keys as well so I'm sure this just needs to be added to the problem report list. Thanks, Peggy Aitken Aitken Accounting Services (972) 365-8611 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click th...

Auto Format Change
Re Excel 2002. I have a colleague in accounts. She has a spreadsheet of bank details. She formats her sort codes to text (an example is 20-40-70) and then saves as a CSV file. When she then opens the CSV file, some of the sort codes have changed to dates (example 20/05/2016). It doesn't affect all the sort codes so what can she do? I believe I have just solved it! I have advised her to not format to text, just leave as general and this seems to do the trick. "DM" wrote: > Re Excel 2002. > > I have a colleague in accounts. She has a spreadsheet of bank deta...

Conditional Formatting 05-06-10
Hi and TIA. I have a worksheet like so. I'm trying to conditionally format the cells in Column C. If this is possible where do a place a call to the procedure? I want the procedure to run for each individual row except I can't simply copy the formula down the sheet because I have headers and totals rows. I'm new to excel. I'm an Access geek. Any advice or if you can point me in the right direction is appreciated. Thanks for your time! Header: USS Vinson A B C 1 3 3 1 2 2 3 4 3 1 2 2 Tot 6 8 ...

error C2661: 'CStdStr<CT>::Format' : no overloaded function takes 19 argumentswith[CT=char]
Hi, I am getting following error, error C2661: 'CStdStr<CT>::Format' : no overloaded function takes 19 arguments with[CT=char] If you have the solution please provide it. Thanks, Shilpa Did you compile as Unicode, but still put in an ANSI format string like ..Format("%d") rather than .Format(_T("%d")) Tom "shilpa" <bharatid@cybage.com> wrote in message news:1174467883.296564.83070@p15g2000hsd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am getting following error, > > error C2661: 'CStdStr<CT>::Format' : no overloaded ...

Outlook 2007 Autocorrect with formatted text
I need to know how to enable Outlook to replace autocorrect entries with formatted text. In Word 2007, its as simple as clicking the radio button to enable it. In Outlook however, not so much. Here is what I am trying to accomplish -- this worked two weeks ago before my hard drive died, however, I can't remember how to recreate it. I enter my initials and autocorrect formats a signature with contact information. The path, Tools, Options, Spelling, Spelling, Spelling and Autocorrect Options, Autocorrect Options --- however, the "Formatted text" radio button is ...

Combining data (numeric format) in multiple cells into one cell (t
If you have data in multiple cells that is numeric format, can the data be combined into one cell as text? Example. Cell A1 is number of correct answers (9), Cell B1 is number of questions (10). In cell C1, would like to display data as (9-10)? Can a formula be created that will automatically do this so as to eliminate having to type the information? one way: =A1 & "-" & B1 In article <018B8827-4277-4C02-81E1-3BEDB61422A0@microsoft.com>, "GNAC SID" <GNAC SID@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If you have data in multiple cells that is num...

Formatting changed when received by version 97
Hi, I have a problem with my Outlook XP. I am using Outlook XP with SP2 installed and using Word as my email editor. My problem is that when my emails are received by a 2000 or XP version of Outlook, all text is displayed correctly, but when a version 97 receives my mail then the font is changing mid sentence and extra blank lines are being added. The whole email look a complete mess. I know 97 only uses text and not HTML so something must be wrong with the way 97 removes the HTML tags. Has anyone had this problem or know of a fix? TIA Mark It is not so much that Outlook 97 does not ...

Count Unique with condition
Hello Everyone, I am looking for a formula to count unique occurances of column (A) where column (B) equals a certain value. Any help would be appreciated. I have the formula =SUMPRODUCT(('data'!A3:A6<>"")/COUNTIF('data'!A3:A6,'data'!A3:A6 &"")), which gives me a count of the unique values in 'data'!A, now I would like to break it down over a value in 'data'!B the result would look like this: smith, john, blue smith, john, red jones, james, yellow jones, james, green williams, john, orange williams, john, teal Uniq...

IMF filter updates not working
I have IMFv2 running on a Win 2003 SP1/Exchange 2003 SP2 running but the IMF updates aren't working. When I go to the MS Update site it's not listing any new updates even though I have the registry value ContentFilterState set to 1. I've restarted the SMTP service after making the change - it didn't help. I copied the folder with the latest IMF update "6.5.7869.0" from a working server and restarted the SMTP service - is that enough to make it use the new definitions or do I have to unregister the old DLL and register the new one? Thanks! ...

export to .pdf from MS works spreadsheet?
If anyone can tell me how to do this I'd be very grateful. Everywhere I go with these spreadsheets, which are in .xlr or 'Microsoft Works Spreadsheet' format, they open up differently (margins and colors are different) depending on what version of 'Excel' or 'Works' the printers use. I've had no luck with the help texts, can anyone tell me how to get these files into .pdf format?? Is it an IMPORT function of adobe acrobat I need to examine? Many thanks in advance, Tom Wailea, HI You need to buy a program that creates the PDF file. They typically set...

How do I make my msn email work on 2003 Outlook?
Can anyone help me fill in the boxes so that my emial will work on Outlook. I bought a new hard drive and the guy didn't suggest that I write down my email setting. I saved my personal files, but it didn't save my email accounts. It worked fine before I installed the new hard drive. You have a Hotmail account? Then install the Outlook Connector and fill in your email address and password. You can download the Outlook Connector here; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9A2279B1-DF0A-46E1-AA93-7D4870871ECF -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configurin...

Conditional Formatting and selection
I have one column that has both name/address(in one row) and telephone numbers(in another row). I'd like to move the name/address info into it's own column. I've been able to do a conditional format to change the text info to a new color but I can't seem to mass select that info so I can move it all at once. Any ideas would be appreciated. if either the names or the telepphe numbers are all in even rows insert a helper column and enter =mod(row(),2) and copy down to the end of the data use autofilter on this column and select 0 select all and paste somewhere change the aut...

Format Function
Below is a snipplet of code that gets a recordset. I'm trying to output to a text file and keep my columns of data straight by using tabs. Because of the length of records in the field objRS!sShift, the vbTab code wasn't lining my column correctly, so I used the Format() function with the "@@@@@@" parameter and my data from the objRS!sShift now right-aligns. My new problem is I have a new field called "percentData" that is a percent that I need to display as 54.62% for example. Without the Format() function, the raw output of this field looks like 0.5462625 f...

How do I resize my work from poster to A4?
Hello I have made a poster which includes text boxes and photos which spreads over 4 A4 pages. I now need to print this A4 size due to lack of space. If I go file, page setup and select A4 only the paper size changes and all the photos stay the original size (too large). Can you help Thanks Some printers will scale documents down to fit. If yours doesn't, convert the poster to a .pdf file and print that as an A4. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Mail merge working erratically
I use a calculated field from Excel as a mail merge in Word. We hav changed from Office 2K to office XP. From then on there is a decima overflow. If my data in excel is 0.06, the same in word is reflecte as 5.666666666666669 etc. Some one kindly help. I did not have thi problem in office 2k:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi krishca , If the column were text, you won't have the problem, but since it is a numeric field in Excel XP you would want to ... In the Confirm Data Source dialog box, click the MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls), and then ...

Date Formatting #6
Please can somebody help me. I need to disable date formatting in Excel 2003 & 2007. Excel's "helpfullness" is being VERY unhepfull at the moment. It is changing my style codes to dates, and if you format the cell to text then it applies some useless number that means nothing to me instead of what is supposed to be in that cell. I need to open already created csv files - so formatting the cells beforehand isnt an option. Please can somebody tell me how to disable date formatting entirely in Excel. The application dumps data to csv files. Users manipulate this data and wo...

Protection from format changes allowing form to be filled in
I have a questionnaire matrix to be filled in by others. I would like to protect the form from changes in format. However, others should be able to fill in the form by choosing from drop down list and/or writing in cells. The way I have been trying is: tools, protection, protect sheet, insert password, ok. Tried variations with contents, objects, scenarios boxes all ticked/partically ticked/blank. However, in all cases, the sheet becomes read only and does not allow to be filled in. Thank you for your help. Unprotect the worksheet (if you have it protected). Select the cells that the users ...

Hotmail Junk/Spam filter - Doesn't work
Many people have found Hotmail continually puts legit email in the Spam folder. Is there any way of disabling this non-helping feature? You can set it to low - but of course that is useless. Or maybe there is a way of forwarding your Spam folder to your Spam folder in your POP3 email program? That would work ok. Once you use an email program you don't want to have to log in to Hotmail to check your messages. That's the whole point of using an email program. To get away from slow, ponderous, awkward webmail. To make matters even worse Microsoft deletes th...

Excel 2000: File format of Unicode text files
In Excel it is possible to save a worksheet as 'Unicode text'. Is there a description of the file format of these unicode text files? The problem is that there are some quotes (") added, if the cells content e.g. a line feed or quotes. So there may be some additional cases, where unexpected content is added by Excel and this would be very helpful to know. Thanks -- Rolf Keller I don't think MS has documented their file format publicly. Your choices may be to do the experimenting yourself to deduce their format, or to use a macro to create the Unicode text file. Here...

Format Cell Dialogue Box
Hi there, Why don't you make the Format Cells dialogue box modeless. So that you do not have to keep opening and closing it. Jimbola There are no "you"'s here, if your post is referring to Microsoft developers. This is a peer to peer News Group manned(personned?) by volunteers and not by Microsoft employees. Your "modeless" idea is a good one, however................ There are many shortcut keys for formatting cells without opening the dialog box. Perhaps one or more of them would suffice. See answer wizard on "shortcut keys" Gord Dibben Excel ...

Average with Condition
I have a report sheet where Cell b10 represent the day of the month I need a formula that will look to a prior month sheet for the corresponding day as identified in B10 and average the sum sales to that point In the source sheet Column B (rows 9 thru 39) = day of month Column AE (row 9 thru 39) = sales -- ce In Excel 2007 there is a AVERAGEIF function (look it up in help) that should do the trick If you are in Excel 2003 this is not available but you can still achieve your result by doing a conditional sum and dividing by the number of days like this =SUMIF(S...

Formatting problem #3
Hi, In thspreadsheet, I'm able to format only one cell but not other cell besides this cell. Could anyone tell me how I could fix this problem. Thanks. Rajan -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Rajani More imformation required. Can you select other cells?, the worksheet may be protected. Bob C. >-----Original Message----- >Hi, >In thspreadsheet, I'm able to format only one cell but not other cells >besides this cell. Could anyone tell me how I could fix this problem. >Thanks. >Rajani > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelFor...

An odd question about formatting
Ok, here's a toughie. I have a list of numbers in column A and I would like in column B a smiliar number of asterisks like this: 4 **** 1 * 9 ********* Any ideas? Amy Give the REPT Repeat function a try, I think it will fulfill your needs nicely. "cvgairport" wrote: > Ok, here's a toughie. I have a list of numbers in column A and I would like > in column B a smiliar number of asterisks like this: > > 4 **** > 1 * > 9 ********* > > Any ideas? > > Amy =REPT("*",A1) -- David Biddulph "cvgairp...

Format custom number: C-0000-L
Hi, I need to format a few cells in Excel to look like C-0000-L where "0000" represents four numbers and "L" represents a letter. I tried to do it in format - custom with C-0000-@ but it gives me an error message. I also tried to do it using the concatenate function but it doesn`t work. Can anyone please help me? Thanks! -- Sonia Custom format "C-"0000"-L" -- David Biddulph "Sonia" <Sonia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EAB02FD-1AA5-4E80-880A-7C9A33A8FE01@microsoft.com... > Hi, I need to format...