Any Way to Run Access Function in Separate Process?

We have a modal dialog in an Access application, that upon confirmation goes
out and does about 25 minutes of queries and then puts the result on the
clipboard.    This long processing period locks the user out from the rest
of the application.   We want to find a way to have this 25 minutes of data
gathering run in the background without blocking the user from interacting
with other parts of the application.

Is there any way to launch the function that takes so long to run in a
separate process space, so that it doesn't lock up the application while it
runs?   We would obviously need the new process to inherit the context of
the parent process.   What other options are there?

--
Will

0
Will

put the function and code in a new separate mdb, and launch that
separately......

You can't launch a new thread in access, but you can certainly launch
another copy of ms-access to run a separate new mdb.....

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert

How to change decimal separators when importing text (csv) files?
I have a problem importing text files into Excel 2007. I'm currently working on a German version of Excel 2007 running on a German version of Windows XP Pro. Whenever I try to import data from a text file (csv), every number with a decimal separator is recognized as text. This clearly is because of the decimal separators. The csv files use points to separate decimals, whereas this German Windows is used to separate decimals using commas. Although the text import wizard allows me to select what type of decimal and thousands separators are to be used, the separators are always reset to th...

how can I asign printscreen to a function key or key combination?
My key board has no printscreen key. What can I do? That seems unlikely, but it is hardly a Word issue. The PrtScn button is usually a dual function button somewhere on the top row of your keyboard. If it is not then you need to ask the keyboard manufacturer. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< ...

Can't connect to Exchange server after VPN access
I can connect to my office Exchange server when in the office (LAN) but I cannot connect outside with Outlook. I can only use the webmail after entering a web VPN access: - First portal for VPN : https://xxx.yyy.com --> I enter my user_VPN/password_VPN - On the next web page, I have the choice for the webmail and it's a link as https://xxx.yyy.com/go/webmail.yyy.com~ssl where I can enter my user_mail/password_mail So I can't enter the url in RPC as every slash is forbidden In my Outlook, the Exchange server (EXC.yyy.com) is not reachable by ping (or tracert) and I can't ...

can't print separate entries per page after merge
I merged information from access into publisher for a postcard. But now when I test print I get the same 4 entries on the same page. I would like to have 4 different entries on each page instead. How do I set that up? Thanks for the help, -- RJ Are you actually printing it or just looking at Print Preview? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "rjincali" <rjincali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5A74256-8FFF-4D87-A788-5BA149A44B84@microsoft.com... >I merged information from access into publisher for a postcard. But now >when > I test p...

Exchange replicating only 1 way...
i have 2 exchange servers and it only replicates 1 way What do you mean it only replicates one way? Do you mean public folder replication? If so see if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842273/en-us Nue "BDog" <BDog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E592683-4FA3-493D-8C62-A69236E933F9@microsoft.com... >i have 2 exchange servers and it only replicates 1 way ...

Access 2007 12-17-09
I am building a contact data base for my church. How do I get the phone field to automatically format like this (xxx) xxx-xxxx when the numbers are typed in the cell? -- Thank You In the form design view select the phone control and open the properties dialog. Goto the Data tab and use the Input Mask to define the format you wish to use. If you click on the ... to the right hand side on the property you will get another dialog where there are predefined input mask or you can define your own. For instance, I use !\(999") "000\-0000;0;_ to format my telepho...

lost my calendar
Well, I'm having some serious troubles. I hope someone can offer me a way out of this mess. For reasons irrelevant to this post, I believed that my Outlook profile was corrupt. I followed the instructions at this page to the best of my ability: http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm After I was done creating the new profile, I went to Control Panel > Mail and removed the old profile. Now, however, I realize that my old Outlook calendar is gone. I thought that it had been duplicated or something in new profile, but I was clearly wrong. Is there any way to get that C...

Separators In OUTLOOK Tool Bars???
How do I pace a separator in an OUTLOOK tool bar? In outlook 2003: Right click on toolbar, and choose customize. Select the Commands tab, then click on the toolbar button you want to be to the right of the separator. Click on "modify selection", then on "Start a group". HTH Mark -----Original Message----- From: C. Davey Utter [mailto:cdutter@spamex.com] Posted At: 02 October 2005 19:57 Posted To: microsoft.public.outlook Conversation: Separators In OUTLOOK Tool Bars??? Subject: Separators In OUTLOOK Tool Bars??? How do I pace a separator in an OUTLOOK tool bar? --...

Add a blank page separator
How do I add a blank page automatically as a separator after every 15 pages when printing a document of 250 pages? Use a macro containing the following code to print the document: Dim i As Long Dim blank As Document For i = 1 To 240 Step 15 ActiveDocument.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:=i, To:=i + 15 Set blank = Documents.Add With blank .PrintOut .Close wdDoNotSaveChanges End With Next i -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professio...

Adding a button with a function on protected sheets.
How do i add a button to 'reset/clear' the data on a worksheet that is protected and uses VLookup data (from another worksheet). Everyday this table will have data chosen from combo boxes or manually entered in allowable editable fields and at the end of the day after the files is saved, I need to clear that data for use on the next day. How is this Reset button applied with allowable edit ranges, VLookup data and a protected worksheet? Thanks There's several ways to do this. 1. Instead of straight vlookups, use =IF(ISBLANK(VLOOKUP(....)),"",VLOOKUP(....)) wher...

Today Function
how is this function called in the code? I want to use in in an update query that is coded to a button. thanks Hey Dave, I hope I'm understanding what your asking for but I think this is what you are looking for: Today() HTH, Shane Dave wrote: >how is this function called in the code? >I want to use in in an update query that is coded to a button. > >thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200706/1 Well I think it is either Today() or Date() not sure which and not sure how to use it in the code. I ...

Remote access to another company's Outlook calendar?
Hello! I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version not known yet). How can the remote company share this person's calendar with my client? He would need to access it and add appointments to it. Thank you for the help! Gregg Hill On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:15:24 -0700, "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote: >Hello! > >I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an >employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version no...

Inserting Excel into Access Reports

Simple Access counting queries

Expression Too Complex in Access 2000
Hi, Consider the following query: SELECT crTbl.acct_1, crTbl.amount, crTbl.date FROM crTbl WHERE (((crTbl.acct_1)="Supplies") AND ((crTbl.date) Between [Forms]![crReportOptionsFrm]![startDate] And [Forms]![crReportOptionsFrm]![endDate])); The query works fine on my own computer in Access 2002. When converted to Access 2000 and used on an other computer, I get the following error: "This expression is typed incorrectly or is too complex to be evaluated. Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to variables." The problem is with the "Between...

groups detail section totals access 2003
Hi all, I know this can be done, but haven't figured out how yet. I have what basically is a summary report that my sql comes up with for the detail rows. I want to total these rows in the report and display immediately below the detail section. I don't really want to group anything, but want to treat the whole detail section as a group. That being said, how can I get a "group footer" on the designer so I can add my total columns. If I use "sorting and grouping", it starts grouping things and that is not what I want. I don't want to use the "page foo...

Function doesn't run
In my spreadsheet, I have the following function =VLookup(K16, zips, 2) However, instead of returning a result, the function remains in the cell. How do I fix this problem? Format the cell as General and re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Justin" <jmeyer@incrementaladvantage.com> wrote in message news:1165596899.059148.31580@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com... | In my spreadsheet, I have the following function | =VLookup(K16, zips, 2) | However, instead of returning a result, the function remains in the | cell. How do I fix th...

Change of field separator
When I open CSV files in Excel all data is put in one column. Can anyone tell me, where I change my set up, so I get another field separator? Please be specific, because my Excel is a Danish version, and sometimes I have a hard time following the English instructions. Thanks! Jane Hi you specify this in the Windows regional settings. Another idea: - rename your *.csv file to a *.txt file - now open it with excel. The Import wizard should appear and should allow you to specify a different delimiter "Janepige" wrote: > When I open CSV files in Excel all data is put in one co...

Outlook Inbox running tally of e-mails in it
HELP ! This should be simple for someone but not me. I used to have a number on the left side of my screen when in my in-box that would tell me the total number of e- mails in my inbox (normally around 200-300). This was not JUST the new ones which are reflected on the folders line. It was at the bottom of the page and would change immediately if I deleted or added one. I lost the number and want it back. How do I do that? Thanks for any help anyone can give ! Cindy view - status bar "Suzanne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0bb901c3deda$1...

Text to columns

comdlg32.ocx and Access 2007
I have several Access databases that were originally written using an Access version prior to Access 2007. I am in the process of converting the databases and installing them on new machines running Win7 and Access 2007. Over the years, one of the References I commonly used was comdlg32.ocx. It does not appear that either Win7 or Access 2007 installs that particular Active X file. I can copy it from an older machine, but that seems like a strange solution. Is comdlg32.ocx a "legacy" Active X file and has it been replaced with a newer (and differently named) Activ...