Yes or No question on dirty

I would like to have a message pop up when data is changed in a form with the
action to follow.
I know it has something to do with the property of "On dirty"
If any control is changed in the "Employee" form is made, I should receive a
message stating " You have updated information on this record. Do you want to
save it?"  The answer of "Yes" or "No" is selected and the action should
happen with an exiting statment of "Update has been saved" or "update has not
been saved"

Use the form Before Update event:

    If Msgbox("Data Has Changed - Do You Want to Update this Record", _
            vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbNo Then
        MsgBox "Record Not Updated"
        Cancel = True
    End If

Now, we don't want to put the Updated message here, because the update has
not occurred.  That you should put in the After Update event.  You don't need
a question with it.  Just be sure it is placed so it will not show if an
error occurs:

Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate()

    On Error GoTo NoUpdateError

    MsgBox "Record Updated"

    Exit Sub

NotUpdateError:

   MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
End Sub
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"Nick" wrote:

> I would like to have a message pop up when data is changed in a form with the
> action to follow.
> I know it has something to do with the property of "On dirty"
> If any control is changed in the "Employee" form is made, I should receive a
> message stating " You have updated information on this record. Do you want to
> save it?"  The answer of "Yes" or "No" is selected and the action should
> happen with an exiting statment of "Update has been saved" or "update has not
> been saved"
I have inserted code stated in update event but receive this statment when
entering "NO" in text box. First I receive "Record Not Updated" then another
message box that states after clicking on the "OK" on "Record not updated";
"You can't go to the specified record" and it will not let me go to the next
record until I enter "Yes"  then it accept changes and allows me to go to the
next record
other wise it loops the statments
 Where do I enter the statment listed  below?
I am very confused on this.

"Klatuu" wrote:

> Use the form Before Update event:
>
>     If Msgbox("Data Has Changed - Do You Want to Update this Record", _
>             vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbNo Then
>         MsgBox "Record Not Updated"
>         Cancel = True
>     End If
>
> Now, we don't want to put the Updated message here, because the update has
> not occurred.  That you should put in the After Update event.  You don't need
> a question with it.  Just be sure it is placed so it will not show if an
> error occurs:
>
> Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate()
>
>     On Error GoTo NoUpdateError
>
>     MsgBox "Record Updated"
>
>     Exit Sub
>
> NotUpdateError:
>
>    MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
> End Sub
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Nick" wrote:
>
> > I would like to have a message pop up when data is changed in a form with the
> > action to follow.
> > I know it has something to do with the property of "On dirty"
> > If any control is changed in the "Employee" form is made, I should receive a
> > message stating " You have updated information on this record. Do you want to
> > save it?"  The answer of "Yes" or "No" is selected and the action should
> > happen with an exiting statment of "Update has been saved" or "update has not
> > been saved"
I made a couple of mistakes, sorry.
First, I left out a line in the before update if the user answers no.
Should be:

    If Msgbox("Data Has Changed - Do You Want to Update this Record", _
            vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbNo Then
        MsgBox "Record Not Updated"
        Cancel = True
        Me.Undo
    End If

The Undo will allow you to move to another record.

The other code should be in the After Update.

Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()

"Nick" wrote:

> I have inserted code stated in update event but receive this statment when
> entering "NO" in text box. First I receive "Record Not Updated" then another
> message box that states after clicking on the "OK" on "Record not updated";
> "You can't go to the specified record" and it will not let me go to the next
> record until I enter "Yes"  then it accept changes and allows me to go to the
> next record
> other wise it loops the statments
>  Where do I enter the statment listed  below?
> I am very confused on this.
> > Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate()
> >     On Error GoTo NoUpdateError
> >
> >     MsgBox "Record Updated"
> >
> >     Exit Sub
> >
> > NotUpdateError:
> >
> >    MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
> >

> "Klatuu" wrote:
>
> > Use the form Before Update event:
> >
> >     If Msgbox("Data Has Changed - Do You Want to Update this Record", _
> >             vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbNo Then
> >         MsgBox "Record Not Updated"
> >         Cancel = True
> >     End If
> >
> > Now, we don't want to put the Updated message here, because the update has
> > not occurred.  That you should put in the After Update event.  You don't need
> > a question with it.  Just be sure it is placed so it will not show if an
> > error occurs:
> >
> > Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate()
> >
> >     On Error GoTo NoUpdateError
> >
> >     MsgBox "Record Updated"
> >
> >     Exit Sub
> >
> > NotUpdateError:
> >
> >    MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
> > End Sub
> > --
> > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> > "Nick" wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to have a message pop up when data is changed in a form with the
> > > action to follow.
> > > I know it has something to do with the property of "On dirty"
> > > If any control is changed in the "Employee" form is made, I should receive a
> > > message stating " You have updated information on this record. Do you want to
> > > save it?"  The answer of "Yes" or "No" is selected and the action should
> > > happen with an exiting statment of "Update has been saved" or "update has not
> > > been saved"
Thanks, I am allowed to move to the next record when I answer "NO" but I
still receive the message box "you can't go to the Specified record" and when
entereing the code in the Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate() when I answer "Yes"
it goes to the compiler highliting the "On error got noupdateerror" with a
message box stating "Label no defined"

"Klatuu" wrote:

> I made a couple of mistakes, sorry.
> First, I left out a line in the before update if the user answers no.
> Should be:
>
>     If Msgbox("Data Has Changed - Do You Want to Update this Record", _
>             vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbNo Then
>         MsgBox "Record Not Updated"
>         Cancel = True
>         Me.Undo
>     End If
>
> The Undo will allow you to move to another record.
>
> The other code should be in the After Update.
>
> Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
>     On Error GoTo NoUpdateError
>
>     MsgBox "Record Updated"
>
>     Exit Sub
> NotUpdateError:
>
>    MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
> End Sub
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Nick" wrote:
>
> > I have inserted code stated in update event but receive this statment when
> > entering "NO" in text box. First I receive "Record Not Updated" then another
> > message box that states after clicking on the "OK" on "Record not updated";
> > "You can't go to the specified record" and it will not let me go to the next
> > record until I enter "Yes"  then it accept changes and allows me to go to the
> > next record
> > other wise it loops the statments
> >  Where do I enter the statment listed  below?
> > I am very confused on this.
> > > Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate()
> > >     On Error GoTo NoUpdateError
> > >
> > >     MsgBox "Record Updated"
> > >
> > >     Exit Sub
> > >
> > > NotUpdateError:
> > >
> > >    MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
> > >

> > "Klatuu" wrote:
> >
> > > Use the form Before Update event:
> > >
> > >     If Msgbox("Data Has Changed - Do You Want to Update this Record", _
> > >             vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbNo Then
> > >         MsgBox "Record Not Updated"
> > >         Cancel = True
> > >     End If
> > >
> > > Now, we don't want to put the Updated message here, because the update has
> > > not occurred.  That you should put in the After Update event.  You don't need
> > > a question with it.  Just be sure it is placed so it will not show if an
> > > error occurs:
> > >
> > > Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate()
> > >
> > >     On Error GoTo NoUpdateError
> > >
> > >     MsgBox "Record Updated"
> > >
> > >     Exit Sub
> > >
> > > NotUpdateError:
> > >
> > >    MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
> > > End Sub
> > > --
> > > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

The label is defined in the code I posted, but again, I have a syntax error.
My brain was only at about 40% power yesterday, sorry

Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
    On Error GoTo NotUpdateError  <-reference to label

    MsgBox "Record Updated"

    Exit Sub
NotUpdateError:  <- label (must have colon)

--

"Nick" wrote:

> Thanks, I am allowed to move to the next record when I answer "NO" but I
> still receive the message box "you can't go to the Specified record" and when
> entereing the code in the Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate() when I answer "Yes"
> it goes to the compiler highliting the "On error got noupdateerror" with a
> message box stating "Label no defined"
>
> "Klatuu" wrote:
>
> > I made a couple of mistakes, sorry.
> > First, I left out a line in the before update if the user answers no.
> > Should be:
> >
> >     If Msgbox("Data Has Changed - Do You Want to Update this Record", _
> >             vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbNo Then
> >         MsgBox "Record Not Updated"
> >         Cancel = True
> >         Me.Undo
> >     End If
> >
> > The Undo will allow you to move to another record.
> >
> > The other code should be in the After Update.
> >
> > Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
> >     On Error GoTo NoUpdateError
> >
> >     MsgBox "Record Updated"
> >
> >     Exit Sub
> > NotUpdateError:
> >
> >    MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
> > End Sub
> > --
> > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> > "Nick" wrote:
> >
> > > I have inserted code stated in update event but receive this statment when
> > > entering "NO" in text box. First I receive "Record Not Updated" then another
> > > message box that states after clicking on the "OK" on "Record not updated";
> > > "You can't go to the specified record" and it will not let me go to the next
> > > record until I enter "Yes"  then it accept changes and allows me to go to the
> > > next record
> > > other wise it loops the statments
> > >  Where do I enter the statment listed  below?
> > > I am very confused on this.

Thanks! That did the trick.

"Klatuu" wrote:

> The label is defined in the code I posted, but again, I have a syntax error.
> My brain was only at about 40% power yesterday, sorry
>
> Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
>     On Error GoTo NotUpdateError  <-reference to label
>
>     MsgBox "Record Updated"
>
>     Exit Sub
> NotUpdateError:  <- label (must have colon)
>
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Nick" wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I am allowed to move to the next record when I answer "NO" but I
> > still receive the message box "you can't go to the Specified record" and when
> > entereing the code in the Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate() when I answer "Yes"
> > it goes to the compiler highliting the "On error got noupdateerror" with a
> > message box stating "Label no defined"
> >
> > "Klatuu" wrote:
> >
> > > I made a couple of mistakes, sorry.
> > > First, I left out a line in the before update if the user answers no.
> > > Should be:
> > >
> > >     If Msgbox("Data Has Changed - Do You Want to Update this Record", _
> > >             vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbNo Then
> > >         MsgBox "Record Not Updated"
> > >         Cancel = True
> > >         Me.Undo
> > >     End If
> > >
> > > The Undo will allow you to move to another record.
> > >
> > > The other code should be in the After Update.
> > >
> > > Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
> > >     On Error GoTo NoUpdateError
> > >
> > >     MsgBox "Record Updated"
> > >
> > >     Exit Sub
> > > NotUpdateError:
> > >
> > >    MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
> > > End Sub
> > > --
> > > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

Glad you got it working.
Again, my apologies for the syntax errors.
--

"Nick" wrote:

> Thanks! That did the trick.
>
> "Klatuu" wrote:
>
> > The label is defined in the code I posted, but again, I have a syntax error.
> > My brain was only at about 40% power yesterday, sorry
> >
> > Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
> >     On Error GoTo NotUpdateError  <-reference to label
> >
> >     MsgBox "Record Updated"
> >
> >     Exit Sub
> > NotUpdateError:  <- label (must have colon)
> >
> > --
> > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> > "Nick" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, I am allowed to move to the next record when I answer "NO" but I
> > > still receive the message box "you can't go to the Specified record" and when
> > > entereing the code in the Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate() when I answer "Yes"
> > > it goes to the compiler highliting the "On error got noupdateerror" with a
> > > message box stating "Label no defined"

Outlook Reminder Question
In Outlook 2003 when I open an appointment that has a contact associated with it, I am unable to click to open the associated contact listed next to the "Contacts" button at the bottom, as the contact is grayed out. Is there a way to fix this? ...

GP / FRX upgrade question
A customer of ours is running GP Dynamics 7.0 and FRX 6.5. We are looking to upgrade their system. Their GP consultant is on vacation and I just need to get some hardware specs. When I look at the Business Solutions site, I see everything is now Dynamics. There is no more reference to FRX. Does FRX still exist or has that functionality been incorporated into another product? What the upgrade path and where can I get hardware requirements? Thank you. Afternoon FRX is still around. As far as hardward goes, IF GP will run on the hardware so will FRX (User Manual Chapter 1 will have specific...

AfxBeginThread question #2
I have an application where I use AfxBeginThread() to create a worker thread to do some heavy work. Within the thread function, I use PostMessage() to pass messages back to the application. I am wondering what happens if the user closes the application while the thread is still working. I assumed I would want to kill the thread during program shutdown/cleanup, but off hand I don't see a way to do that. But I'm not sure if I need to kill the thread. I ran the application and intentionally started the thread doing a very long job, then closed the application long before it finishe...

Chart question #2
I have a chart that gives percentage 10-50 by 5's on y axis and th months May and June on the x axis. I want to add July. How do I d this? Also, In my spreadsheet, I have stats from July thru May(left t right). I need it to show up on the chart as May thru July(left t right) how do i do this. THanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Select the July data, and drag it onto the chart, or copy the July data, select the chart, and choose Edit>Paste To reverse the months -- Double-click on the X-axis In the Format Axis dialog box, select the Scale tab Add a check mark ...

General Technical Questions
I know very little about CRM at this point and am looking for general technical information to begin researching a CRM implementation. Articles such as what types of problems to expect and what technical capabilities I should prepare for. Thanks, Cliff Have you tried the core documentation provided by microsoft and searching key words such as installation, migration, server, etc. here in the forum? That's where I started and there is a lot of info out here. Google CRM blogs worked well too. On Jan 11, 11:06 pm, "Cliff Davis" <cdavis.no....@wcdavis.net> wrote: > ...

another socket and thread question
Hi! I have a question about sockets and threads, but I think threads are not the part of my problem. I made a server which uses simple socket, bind, listen etc functions and threads to handle connections. Basicly all incoming connection get a new thread. You(forum members :) ) showed me there are a conceptual problem with it and I shall use CAsyncSocket. I will try to reimplement this part of the server as soon as I have a little(?or much) time. Today I start to do some performance and stability tests and I found a strange behaviour. If I open some connections at the same time (about 10-200) ...

Select All question
At home I have Excel 2002 and am very happy with it. At work, I have Excel 2003, and I find it disconcerting that, when I hit a Ctrl + A, it selects a range of its own choosing, within the work I am most currently on. When I say Select All, I mean Select All - is there some option that is incorrectly set? I have looked all over the Customize and Options areas. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. -- Regards, P D Sterling Florida, New York USA True, they added an annoying thing in 2003, you need to do it twice in Excel 2003 for it to select all, wait it gets worse! In Excel 200...

Digital ID question?
Hi! If I want to use Digital ID which does not contain email address to sign emails how can I do that in Outlook 2003. I know it is possible, but what I should do excatly? Cheers, Mikko "news.microsoft.com" <argonaut@jippii.fi> wrote in message news:%23%23sw3mHlDHA.2528@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... Now this should show correct name... Cheers, Mikko ...

Secondary Access Question
I am using a chart with both a primary and secondary axis. The primary axis runs from -4% to 8% while the secondary runs from -1000 to 1200. The 0 point on the secondary axis equates to about 1.5% on the primary axis which makes the graph is a little confusing. Is there any way to add dummy numbers or series or otherwise get the 0 point on the secondary axis at about the same spot vertically as on the primary axis? Thanks in advance for any ideas. --Dan Please ignore my post. I'm embarrassed at how simple the solution was: simply make the ratio of max to min of the two axes the same...

Newbie Question 11-30-09
I have a Dell Poweredge T100 Server running WS2003 Enterprise. Can I install and run sharepoint 2007 on it so I can also use it as a sharepoint server. or do I need a separate server for that. Sorry for my lack of technical jargon that would accurately describe what I am trying to do. ...

rule question for email from specific server
I am new to setting up rules do please bear with me. is there a way to set up a rule so that all emails from a specific server (example is aa.com) go into a specific folder? I can do it individually each time someone from work emails me but want to set it up so that people from aa.com who have never emailed me would automatically go into my AA folder. thanks -- ****************************** remove 1 to reply David MacLeod dmacleo@midmaine1.com P4 800 MHZ 2.8 OC to 3.13 Twin Seagate 120 SATA set as RAID 0 1024 MB Buffalo DDR 466 ATI 9800 Pro 256 MB Thermaltake Spark7 cpu fan Thermaltak...

Creating a table and relationship for counseling notes question
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to do something. I'm creating a database to track our counselor's activites with clients (I work for a non-profit organization). I'm creating one table with Client information (ID field - primary key, Name, address, counselor assigned, reason for meeting) and one table for a Client ID field, date/time field, and Counselor notes field(memo field). And I have created a relationship between them with the ID field. Does that sound right? Here's where I'm stumped. What I would like is to create a unique record for each client, an...

Two questions on the latest Money Home and Small Business
Sorry, forgot the exact name of this product, but I am sure you understand. The easy one: Any way to change the color scheme? I am not fond of the blue on blue on blue. The harder one. Decided to track all my accounts, so added my 401K. Updates fine except that new contributions are shown as debiting the balance. If I add that to the balance, it agrees with the holder of the account. But now it deducts any new contributions from my paycheck in a separate cash account listed under the 401K account. What might I be doing incorrectly there? Thanks. ~Bob In microsoft.public.money, B...

Outlook Express Mail Rules Question...
In outlook express mail rules the option to filter mail via the header is <b>not</b> an option. Does anyone know of anyway ot trick outlook express to filter on the header of incoming emial? Do any of the other given options filter on the header without saying so? thanx Jonas Ray ...

SQL Command question
Hi Friends, I'm using sql command scripting like this : GO :setvar ClientPortalName "Patrick" :setvar DatabaseName "ces_" :setvar DefaultDataPath "F:\Data\" :setvar DefaultLogPath "G:\DATA\" use master go print N'$(DatabaseName)' RESTORE DATABASE [$(DatabaseName)] FROM DISK = N'H:\Backup\backup.BAK' WITH FILE = 1, MOVE N'ces_default_Data' TO N'F:\Data\ces_Patrick.mdf', MOVE N'ces_default_Log' TO N'G:\DATA\ces_Patrick.ldf', NOUNLOAD, STATS = 1 , REPLACE GO My question is that...

GP Macro Question
Does anyone know of a way to run a GP macro from the command prompt? it can be done for the login macro but i am trying to run it for a macro that i would like to occur while GP is already running and i cannot schedule it because it needs to be run at different times. any ideas? thanks for your help! -Josh ...

Migration question #12
I have exchange 5.5 on a NT4 network and exchange 2003 on AD network. MS documentation recommens move mailboxes first and then rehome the connectors such as IMC. Is it ok to rehome the connector and then move mailboxes? thanks I agree with you, preferring to do it that way myself. I've had good success with that approach. I think it's a lot easier to debug the SMTP issue when you don't have a thousand users on the new server. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "sean" <nosean@noemail.gmail.com> ...

Pub 2000 Reinstall question (part 2)
To catch everybody up I'll post my original request below and the reply I received from Brian, then my new problem/question. |||| I have Windows Office XP Small Business Edition (Publisher 2002) |||| and Windows XP. |||| |||| I previously had Publisher 2000 installed but when installing the Office XP |||| package I let it overwrite/replace the 2000 version. |||| To get some features I've decided to reinstall Pub 2000 and have both Pub |||| 2000 and Pub 2002 installed. |||| |||| When I run Setup.exe on the Pub2000 CDRom I get a window that says |||| the install is running in Mai...

Excel 2002 : question on hyperlinks
Hi everybody, I have created a simple table and associated a "doughnut" type graphic. I also created a number of hyperlinks. My question is : how can I make these hyperlinks active in the graphic ? In other words, I would like to be able to click in a given zone of the graphic instead of clicking in the corresponding cell in the table in order to "hyperlink". Thanks in advance for your kind help. With best regards, Daniel This is not exactly what you asked for but it does enable you to specify a target link with a chart to a Sheet. 1. Start with the chart inside a ...

question about blackberry enterprise & syncing to home email
I'm hoping a kind soul will offer me some general information--the help desk people at my work are clueless about this issue. I am a former Palm user who loved my Palm desktop software, which allowed me to sync to multiple computers. So I could get my email and calendar items from my home and work accounts--no problem. My palm didn't have wireless, so I couldn't reply to messages, but at least I could get caught up on my email reading while on the train, etc. Now my employer has asked that I change over to their Blackberry Enterprise server so that I always have wireless access...

Embarquing on a eseutil/isinteg ... questions
Hi Everyone, FYI, our exchange db is around 110 gigs (single server ... 2003 enterprise). Assuming we have enough disk space: 1) How long would it take to run both eseutil & isinteg on such database? (I know is not an exact science). 2) While having the private store dismounted, will the arriving emails be kept in the queue? I guess I'd first ask why you want to do those things. The best way to test would be to restore a backup of the database to another server and run the eseutil/isinteg there to see if any problems were found/fixed and how long it took before you did it ...

Unicode setting question
Hi How can I change VS2008 VC project settings if I do not want to use UNICODE with L"string" for many functions . Is this newsgroup the right one to ask this question ? Thank for your teaching On 5=BF=F929=C0=CF, =BF=C0=C8=C42=BD=C331=BA=D0, Kid <K...@discussions.micro= soft.com> wrote: > Hi > > How can I change VS2008 VC project settings if I do not want to use > UNICODE with L"string" for many functions . > > Is this newsgroup the right one to ask this question ? > > Thank for your teaching project property - confiuration propertie...

Field definition question
I want to create an XML exception table were I want to capture the stack trace and looking for input into how to store this information. One thought was to create a string field which would have each stack entry delimited as shown below then parsed out for proper displaying in a DataGridView. Each record would contain more information then the stack trace and that can be handled by simple string and date fields and are not an issue. Any insight would be appreciated, Kevin Not delimited System.DateTime.DateToTicks(year As Int32, month As Int32, day As Int32) GlobalExcepti...

Question about "Outlook Web Access" (OWA)
I don't know if I'm in the correct forum, but.... does anyone know if it's possible to login to Outlook Web Access from a DOS command prompt?? For example, in a DOS command window, is there a command similar to: outlook /user="joe" /pwd="mypassword here" ???? On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 02:04:03 -0700, "Robert Crandal" <rcranz143101@gmail.com> wrote: >I don't know if I'm in the correct forum, but.... does >anyone know if it's possible to login to Outlook Web Access >from a DOS command prompt?? > >For example, in a DOS...

How to: Automaticly choose "YES"
One of the macro's I use makes a sheet, uses it and then deletes it. Because there is a sheet which is deleted, Excel asks confirmation while the Macro is running. I'd rather see that it was solved without the user has to click yes. My question: "How can I get Excel to not ask me the "Are you Sure?" question again?" Jasper Application.DisplayAlerts = False Sheets("Sheet3").Delete Application.DisplayAlerts = True Regrads Trevor "Jasper" <Jasper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:872F0D5B-E9B2-4069-B474-27D6329E17BE@...