why in god's name won't calculated controls work?

I have been trying to no avail to create a calculated field on a form
I have used the expression builder, I have typed in code manually, I have
tried using full table and field name syntax all without success.

In the control source I have
                                            =[transactions]![amount] * 2
The table and field names are correct ( they appear in the expression
builder) and the amount field is a number data type.
All this produces is #name? in the form field
Every book and website I have consulted tells me that this should work.
I am getting incredibly fed up with this pathetic useless software
can someone please tell me why this will not work.
Thanks in advance

0
Stahlhelm

I suspect that it's failing because the name of the textbox control is
"amount".  You probably built the form by drag-n-drop, and this was
originally the control to display the  [amount] field,so its default name is
"amount".  Access is confused because the field name and the control name
are the same, and will display the #name? error in that case.  Try renaming
your control.

HTH,

Rob

"Stahlhelm" <qrty@froot.com.jp> wrote in message
>I have been trying to no avail to create a calculated field on a form
> I have used the expression builder, I have typed in code manually, I have
> tried using full table and field name syntax all without success.
>
> In the control source I have
>                                            =[transactions]![amount] * 2
> The table and field names are correct ( they appear in the expression
> builder) and the amount field is a number data type.
> All this produces is #name? in the form field
> Every book and website I have consulted tells me that this should work.
> I am getting incredibly fed up with this pathetic useless software
> can someone please tell me why this will not work.
> Thanks in advance

0
Rob
6/18/2007 12:47:39 PM
Is the "amount" field from the "transactions" table in the form's
RecordSource query? If not, the calculated field will not work -- you must
use the DLookup function instead. See Help for info about it.

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"Stahlhelm" <qrty@froot.com.jp> wrote in message
>I have been trying to no avail to create a calculated field on a form
> I have used the expression builder, I have typed in code manually, I have
> tried using full table and field name syntax all without success.
>
> In the control source I have
>                                            =[transactions]![amount] * 2
> The table and field names are correct ( they appear in the expression
> builder) and the amount field is a number data type.
> All this produces is #name? in the form field
> Every book and website I have consulted tells me that this should work.
> I am getting incredibly fed up with this pathetic useless software
> can someone please tell me why this will not work.
> Thanks in advance

0
Ken
6/18/2007 12:59:26 PM
"Stahlhelm" <qrty@froot.com.jp> wrote in message
>I have been trying to no avail to create a calculated field on a form
> I have used the expression builder, I have typed in code manually, I have
> tried using full table and field name syntax all without success.
>
> In the control source I have
>                                            =[transactions]![amount] * 2
> The table and field names are correct ( they appear in the expression
> builder) and the amount field is a number data type.
> All this produces is #name? in the form field
> Every book and website I have consulted tells me that this should work.
> I am getting incredibly fed up with this pathetic useless software
> can someone please tell me why this will not work.
> Thanks in advance

I would suggest binding your form to a query and performing the calculation
in the query rather than on the form.

Keith.
www.keithwilby.com

0
Keith
6/18/2007 1:03:42 PM
I not sure where you got the idea that you can, or need a table qualifier
for expression in text box on a form. You not find ONE example anywhere on
the internet that even suggests as such.

It is a RARE day when you actually will use the table name in a control on a
form. (don't confuse building expressions in sql, or in the query builder
and that of controls on a form).

The form is going to be based on a table, or query...that is ALL!!!

Your expressions are thus limited to fields/values in that query or table.

So, assuming your form has a underlying field called amount, then your
expression should be:

=([amount] * 2)

That is all you should need.

If you have query that joins in more then one table, then you can ONLY use a
table qualifier if there is a name conflict.

It will be:

=([ctest_1.amount]*2)

Notice here again that the [] brackets are around the whole expression.

To create your expression, I would place a text box on the screen. (make
sure the text name is NOT amount, as then ms-access will get confused
here -- and, check YOUR name for the text control...it can't be "amount", as
then ms-access will get confused as to if you referenced a field, or control
named "amount"...which one will ms-access use? -- it can't know!!!). So, if
you going to place a text box on a form, and use a calculated control, MAKE
SURE the name of the control does not CONFLICT with existing field names in
the underlying data used.

Now, in the data tab for this text box, select the amount field.

You likely have for the data source something like

amount

Now, just edit the above to become

=([amount] * 2)

The reason why I suggesting you FIRST select the amount from the combo drop
down is to ENSURE that you correctly selected the amount field. Now, test
the form, and ensures it displays the amount. ONLY ATTEMPT TO EDIT THIS
CONTROL AFTER YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY DISPLAYED THE AMOUNT AND YOU KNOW IT
WORKS!!!.

So, flip the form into view mode...does it display the amount correctly?
Only THEN should move on to the next step of your calculations. Now, re-edit
the "amount" expression to

=([amount] * 2)

Now, if the field value your trying to display is actually from another
table, then you have to use a different approach. And, you have to specify
what record from the other table you want to display in this case also. And,
of course, when you attempted to use legal field values to set the control
source, you ONLY see values from the current forms underlying data. So, you
*can* display data from another table, but you have to as mentioned use a
function like dlookup() to retrieve this value (and further  you have to
specify what field and record to retrieve from that other table).

>I am getting incredibly fed up with this pathetic useless software

You know, normally I would have a real snide remark here. I going to be a
gentleman, and lets just leave this alone. Don't blame the tool because you
don't know it yet. Simply take the time and make the effort to learn the
tool.....ok?

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
6/18/2007 1:03:46 PM
Is [Amount] present on your form? If so,

= [amount]*2

should work.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

missinglinq
6/18/2007 1:08:05 PM
you need A c c e s s D a t a P r o j e c t s

"Stahlhelm" <qrty@froot.com.jp> wrote in message
>I have been trying to no avail to create a calculated field on a form
> I have used the expression builder, I have typed in code manually, I have
> tried using full table and field name syntax all without success.
>
> In the control source I have
>                                            =[transactions]![amount] * 2
> The table and field names are correct ( they appear in the expression
> builder) and the amount field is a number data type.
> All this produces is #name? in the form field
> Every book and website I have consulted tells me that this should work.
> I am getting incredibly fed up with this pathetic useless software
> can someone please tell me why this will not work.
> Thanks in advance

Console Control
I used to be able to put /console after the IP address of the host and manage (root) it. But when I reinstalled my Windows XP PRO and tried to do it it tell me "The server name specified is invalid." But without the /console the IP address connects. Any ideas? By the way the "mstsc /console" commmand works. You need to install the newer client. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script sam...

How to calculate quarterly
I have a worksheet which has a date between Januarys to December. This worksheet I m using for record sales and Concession form. According to new rule sale against concession form should be submitted by concerned customer 1st quarter concession for should be deposited in next quarter’s 1st month. For example Date of Sales bill Expected Concession form submission 1.10.2005 1.01.2006 2.10.2005 5.10.2005 2.11.2005 4.11.2005 2.12.2005 3.12.2005 How it can be formulated and calculated. Thank and regards Rao Ratan Singh If your sale ...

Change computer name
Hi there, Is it possible to change the computer name of Exchange Server 2003? I'm wondering whether something will be wrong after changing the computer name. Thanks. Ray Easily? No. In order to rename an Exchange server, you must move all of the mailboxes, connection agreements (MX records if this is external-facing), public folders, etc. to a new Exchange server and uninstall Exchange before renaming the server. If this is the only Exchange 2003 server in your organization, or if this is the first Exchange 2003 server in your organization, you will want to follow the guide...

Deleting Names in Excel 2003
How do I delete names (name ranges) all at once, rather then having to do it individually On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:25:06 -0800, steve_nelson <steve_nelson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.excel.misc: >How do I delete names (name ranges) all at once, rather then having to do it >individually With VBA: Dim myName As Name For Each myName In Names myName.Delete Next myName Qualify Name as required: Application, Workbook, Worksheet. Unqualified, Names will refer to ActiveWorkbook. See Help: Names Property (<mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\Microsoft...

how do I change/edit the names of catagories in Calendar?
want to make my own names for the color designations in "Catagorize" Version? In 2003, click on the labels icon on the toolbar and choose edit... (can also access it using the edit, labels menu) in 2007, click the category button and choose all categories to access the editor. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...

Nesting an If factor and using the range name
I am taking a course for advanced excel and I need help with a question> I am working on a spread sheet for real estate. I am supposed to set up a formula using NESector and CornerLot classifying them as shown below. 1, 2 or 3. Can any one help????? NESector CornerLot Classification Yes Yes 1 Yes No 2 No No 3 Assuming the NESector is in A1 and the first row of "Yes"s is A2 and B2; The formula needed in C1 is =IF(A2="Yes", IF(B2="Yes", 1, 2), 3) ...

Company Name
V8. To the left of the tools bars displays user name, Co. name and date. These take up too much real estate. Maybe should have used a shorter version of the company name but its too late now. Is there any way to display a shorter, user defined, company name? How about modifying the date format to dd/mm only (I usually know what year it is except on Mondays after a very good weekend!) Thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C5A7EB.1D240460 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable A coupl...

filling a control in a continuous form with a field from a table
I had posted this under "Access Reports" in error and received a response and responded. Please follow the dialog for an explaination of my question: Original Question: I have a form with the fields: date, client, atty, time, billable and description. All these fields update the Time Sheet Table. I want the atty field to automatically take the attorney's name from the table Attorney which contains one field called Atty. So for I can only figure out how to use a combo box to chose the Attorney table field. Response Received: Your combo box to select the at...

Select criteria based on the field name the user selects
Hi all, I am facing with aproblem where in i have a small access db with forms and reports now i want to change or set the where condition of a query based on the value the user selects from the form through a combo box. For ex:- if user is selecting Invoice_date then the where condition should search based on invoice date if the user selects any other field the querys where condition should search based on that particular field.Can any one help me in getting a solution for this. I have a sample database that shows how you can use various controls to set the filter of a query that i...

tab control scrolling
I inherited an access form with a tab control with six tabs. When the user navigates from one tab to the next, the scroll bar position is in the middle and the tabs on the top of the tab control can not be seen unless the user scrolls up. Is there a method to automatically scroll to the top of the tab change event? Using the OnChange event of the Tabbed Control you'll need to set focus to the top/leftmost control on any given Page. Having said that, I have to say, IMHO, that having forms long enough to require scrolling up and down to see all content is very user-non...

Currency symbol in calculation from fullpage report
Hello, I have the following code in my fullpage report: <ROW> Transaction.SalesTaxes.Description "|" Transaction.SubTotal "|" Transaction.SalesTaxes.total "|" Transaction.SubTotal + Transaction.SalesTaxes.Total </ROW> When I print the report, I don't get the currency symbol for the value: Transaction.SubTotal + Transaction.SalesTaxes.Total I tried to place "(" and "[" but that also doesn't work. Is it possible to get the currency symbol throught this config of xml? Thanks in advanced! -- Kind regards, Raymond Bak...

Rules work but have a delay
I have a rule which whenever an email come into the Inbox, if the person is in my address box to move the email to another folder. The rule works ok but sometimes an email will come into the Inbox and sit there for 30 seconds to 2 or 3 minutes before it moves to the other folder. Clicking and Send/Receive has no effect. Anyone know how to get rid of this delay????? Thanks in advance For those that might be able to help... What Version? What operating system? Up to date? "Copper" <noreplay@aol.com> wrote in message news:uSP8pdAaHHA.1508@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I ha...

How do I run a query that displays field names and not captions
How do I run a query that displays field names and not captions The simplest solution would be to open the table in design view, and clear the Caption property for your fields. If that doesn't work, you could alias the fields in the query. For example if you have FirstName showing as First Name (with a space), and you want it to actually show as FirstName, switch the query to SQL View (View menu), and change the SQL statement from: SELECT Table1.FirstName, ... to: SELECT Table1.FirstName AS FirstName, ... -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for A...

Exchange Notifications not working :-( help
Hello all, Ok here is my new problem. Exchange Notifications not working. I’m running Exchange 2003 enterprise Cluster I have setup monitoring of the C drive free space threshold, SMTP Queues growth and some other default monitoring exchange stuff. I then went to the notifications of exchange system manager and setup email notifications. I know one of my drives on exchange exceeded its size and passed the threshold in the monitoring tab, the other day the SMTP queues growths were exceeded also. I setup my notification to send an alert to an email address and on the warning sta...

Can't see default instance of sql 2008; login name oddness
I am seeing two odd characteristics with a new windows 7 x64 box. The install and config steps were like so: [1] Computer OS installed, computer named Comp1. [2] Install sql server std 2008, developer version, including ssms, as default instance [3] Install sql server express 2005, named instance (sqlexpress). [4] Change computer name to Comp2. It's possible that the timing of 3 and 4 are reversed in the list above. The two oddities are that when I browse for sql servers on this box (browse service is on) I see only two entries: Comp1\sqlexpress Comp2\sqlexpress IE...

data from many work books
How do I collect data from many workbooks from select columns into a single workbook automatically. I don't want to open each one manually and copy and paste from it to the main workbook. The system should ask me for which file to be opened. Please can you help. Thanks and regards, Sandeep S. This can be done with VBA code (a macro). You haven't given enough information to provide a more detailed answer, but there is one command available that does allow you to browse and identify files to be worked with that will probably end up in the code: Application.GetO...

modeless dialog in dll doesnt work ...
Hai all, i have an issue with the CWnd derived class Control Which is Owner draw ,that is used as a editcontrol with multiline functionality. The CWnd devied class has a parent which is a CDialog . When i create the Dialog as Modal the framework calls the pretanslateMessage() of the CWnd Derived Class and CDialog . But if create as modeless it doesnt called . I dont know the reason why... if any body can suggest some idea or came across this issue kinldy give me suggestions .... I had passed the handle of the parent window m_pMainWnd of CWinApp from client to the dll in Create(IDD,m_p...

Open form to specific record quits working
I have a customer search form that opens a specific customer order. Sometimes when I add a field or make a minor change to the customer order form, the customer search pulls a blank or new record. I delete the change I made to the order form but a blank record is still pulled. What can I do to fix this? Thanks Sorry, I meant to post this to Access. "Ron Weaver" wrote: > I have a customer search form that opens a specific customer order. Sometimes > when I add a field or make a minor change to the customer order form, the > customer search pulls a blank or new record...

Excel XP question, working with Array's
Hello Guys/Girls, I have the following problem. I have one main-list (Row A and B) with all member numbers. Also I got a list (Row K and L) which contains a second List with financial information and a part of the numbers of the members-list. I would like to combine this. Is there een option, like the if-function, which could check the mainlist with the second-list and if there has been found a match, the financial information put in Colum C behind the right member number?. Greetings from the Netherlands, Johan Heegsma Hi Johan could you clarify why columns A & B contain member num...

IRR Calculations
How do you use the Function for IRR if you have an outlay of cash at the start and then you receive the same amount of cash indefinitely? Hi Laurie! If it's a single outlay: Rate = CashFlow/Outlay Rate will be the effective rate for the periodicity of the cash flow. With a monthly cash flow Annual Effective = (1+CashFlow/Outlay)^12-1 -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. You can't use the IRR function because your cash inflows do not e...

News server name for software testing -reg
Dear friends, Like msnews.microsoft.com, I need the News server for winrunner (Automated software testing tool), to configure in the Outlook express. regards, Thiru Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolici...

TLS not working for some senders (inbound)
We have been using TLS (over SMTP) for many years on Exchange 2003 SP2 (Windows 2003 SP2). A time has come to renew a certificate as the existing one was expiring, so we did renew. We installed the new ceritificate successfully 2 month before expiration of the current/old certificate. When the old certificate expired we were still receiving secure email (TLS) from most senders but few. No problems to send secure email. We tested the SMTP protocol using telnet and all looked fine up to the last step you can test with telnet (issuing STARTTLS command and receive correct response ...

CRM 4
We had a CRM 4 setup which was working successfully: - Server 1 is a Windows 2003 Server with CRM Server installed - Server 2 is a Windows 2003 Server with SQL 2005, Reporting Services with CRM Data connector installed The SQL 2005 server was upgraded to SQL 2008 Enterprise. After the installation and rebooting, the CRM Server was working apart from Reports. REPORT ERROR MESSAGES ====================== When a report is run from a CLIENT machine, the following error appears - "The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized." [WebException: The request failed with HTTP status...

How can you change the name of a Business Unit?
Is it possible to change the name of a Business Unit? If so, how? If not, why not? Thanks in advance Unsupported, but you can directly edit a BU name in the businessunitbase table in the _MSCRM database with the usual SQL tools "Piri Yebra" <PiriYebra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3669CF30-FB8C-40CD-8D62-ADF7A4363590@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to change the name of a Business Unit? If so, how? If not, > why > not? > > Thanks in advance ...

word 2002 to work with vista
I can't get word 2002 to work on my vista its says have have to change the association preferences. Can anyone help me with that? I am not very computer savvy so i will need step by step instructions. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee i really need this to work ...