Why does Autoexpand in combo box not work with accented characters?

To quote the Access online help:
You can use the AutoExpand property to specify whether Microsoft Access
automatically fills the text box portion of a combo box with a value from
the combo box list that matches the characters you enter as you type in the
combo box. This lets you quickly enter an existing value in a combo box
without displaying the list box portion of the combo box.

This works fine when I use the normal English alphabet, but fails if I type
an accented character as the first character of a name in a foreign language
such as Hungarian. Is there any way to make AutoExpand work for all
characters in either Access 2000 or Access 2003?

David

0
David

How are you "typing" in these accented characters? If I have a value in a
combobox such as Çhua where the Ç was created by entering <Alt> + 128, and I
again enter Ç using <Alt> + 128 in the combobox, it does AutoExpand for me!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

Linq
11/13/2007 2:34:58 AM
Hi Linq,
I have only just become aware of the need to accommodate accented characters
in my Access 2000 application, so I have not yet sorted out an easy method
for my users to 'type' such characters on a UK keyboard (finding a way to
use the Windows charmap.exe utility program might offer a solution). The
accented names that currently exist were originally created in Excel,
probably using the symbol insertion facility.

My initial test of AutoExpand was done by copying the required accented
character from the Windows Character Map and then pasting it into my combo
box. This didn't work, but your post implied that there might be a problem
with this method of data entry so I have just tried pasting in some
non-accented characters. That didn't work either, so clearly pasting was my
problem, not the character. Thanks for highlighting that issue.

Your solution of using an Alt-nnnn keystroke combination to enter an
accented character is fine if your required character can be generated in
this way. However, based on a random search through Character Map, many
characters have not been allocated an Alt-nnnn code (displayed at the bottom
right of the Character Map acreen). They only have a U-FFFF code, displayed
at the bottom left of the Character Map screen. I've no idea what you are
supposed to do with this U-FFFF code (where FFFF is a hexadecimal number),
and the Help doesn't help. Any suggestions?

BTW, your example of a capital C with a cedilla accent is Alt-0199 according
to Character Map. Where do you get Alt-128 from? Both codes work on my PC.

David

"Linq Adams via AccessMonster.com" <u28780@uwe> wrote in message
> How are you "typing" in these accented characters? If I have a value in a
> combobox such as �hua where the � was created by entering <Alt> + 128, and
> again enter � using <Alt> + 128 in the combobox, it does AutoExpand for
> me!
>
> --
> There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!
>
> Answers/posts based on Access 2000

David
11/13/2007 10:57:58 AM
David,

I saw your post by randon accident and thought I would comment.

Don't know that this is directly relevant to your issue but,

Keep in mind that IF your ComboBox is populated in its DataSource
property by a SQL SELECT or SELECT DISTINCT statement, then unallowed
characters may break the SQL query that provides the source population
to the list box. The election for the version of ANSI SQL may also
affect this as there is differerent behavior in different ANSI SQLs in
Access. On just this see KB824189, depending upon Access version of
course. If you are not using a query "behind" or for the DataSource,
this is probably not a problem.

I had an experiece where users decided to put character that were in
not allowed by SQL language as it applies to MS Access (i.e., not
standard alpha-numeric and the few allowed symbols) and that started
breaking queries. It was a curve ball. It was ugly. I was able to
quickly discover that they were doing this, but it was a mystery at
first and could have caused a lot of frustrating troubleshooting time.
Many SQL queries brok in the app due to this in a key table. Not
practical in this instance to validate.

JIm
0
jimatch4
11/30/2007 12:02:38 AM
Hi Jim,
I don't have any current requirement to specify ANSI 92 SQL in my Access
2003 apps but I'm interested in your reference to 'unallowed' characters.
Where are such SQL restrictions documented?

David

<jimatch4@gmail.com> wrote in message
> David,
>
> I saw your post by randon accident and thought I would comment.
>
> Don't know that this is directly relevant to your issue but,
>
> Keep in mind that IF your ComboBox is populated in its DataSource
> property by a SQL SELECT or SELECT DISTINCT statement, then unallowed
> characters may break the SQL query that provides the source population
> to the list box. The election for the version of ANSI SQL may also
> affect this as there is differerent behavior in different ANSI SQLs in
> Access. On just this see KB824189, depending upon Access version of
> course. If you are not using a query "behind" or for the DataSource,
> this is probably not a problem.
>
> I had an experiece where users decided to put character that were in
> not allowed by SQL language as it applies to MS Access (i.e., not
> standard alpha-numeric and the few allowed symbols) and that started
> breaking queries. It was a curve ball. It was ugly. I was able to
> quickly discover that they were doing this, but it was a mystery at
> first and could have caused a lot of frustrating troubleshooting time.
> Many SQL queries brok in the app due to this in a key table. Not
> practical in this instance to validate.
>
> JIm

0
David

Is there a list of characters that Word considers equivalent on Fi
Word's Find will find "equivalent" characters. For example, a find for straight quotes will also find curly quotes, and a find for a space will also find a non-breaking space. Where can I find a list of the characters that Word considers equivalent in this sense? Thanks. ...

Out of Office (OOF) not working
Hello OOF isnt working on one of our users mailbox, ie. she turns it on, but it doesnt auto reply. ive searched through the existing posts on solutions but still no joy. Ive disabled/re-enable OOF setting in Exchange admin. The user has no exisitng rules setup. The oof never worked so it cannot have been send one per user. Im using Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003 clients. Any help, would help! thanks Jay If new mailboxes are working fine, you may want to take the simple "shotgun" approach of exporting the users data to PST, saving out the rules, and then creating a new mailbo...

Outlook 2003 working with Groupwise client
We are moving our people from Groupwise to Exchange and I am having a horrible time getting the two to work together. We need to keep both clients on the machine for a short time while the switch is done. I installed Outlook 2003 on my workstation running Windows XP and Outlook and Groupwise are happily coexisting. When I tried this on a Windows 2000 machine everything went to crap. I've tried all of the tricks I can think of. I've removed Groupwise and windows messaging and reintalled everything from scratch and no dice. I just keep getting Outlook MAPI errors and messages s...

I have a red pencil box
It's red and holds pencils. ...

Rules not working #7
I have a mail profile that I use with one email address that gets a LOT of spam. I have a fair size number of rules (probably 10-15) for categorizing and filtering it, all of them starting wth "Apply this rule after the message arrives". Problem is that most of them only work about half the time. I'll get some messages that were moved to the correct folders, and some similar messages still in the inbox. If I click "Rules Wizard" and the "Run Now" button, selecting all the rules, it moves the ones still in the inbox to the correct folder. How come it didn&#...

How to have combo list sorted
I have set the following data name: =OFFSET(Par!$D$2,0,0,COUNTA(Par!$D$2:$D$201)-COUNTBLANK(Par!$D$2:$D$201),1) How to get all data in the right onummeric order? It seems to be with offset($D$2,0,0,counta($D:$201),1).... likely looks like the upperformula I use. But the combo is not sorted when I use it. Bart You would have to sort the source data: Whatever's in this range Par!$D$2:$D$201 needs to be sorted. Biff "AA Arens" <bartvandongen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166147791.194106.272500@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have set the following data name...

hyperlinks within the same document are not working
Hi. I am trying to create an email publication in MS publisher 2007. It has several stories that will be sent out in email and the first section is supposed to contain a summary with hyperlinks to each story within the same email for more details. I am adding a bookmark at the begining of each story, and then trying to create a hyperlink in the summary section to the bookmark. However, when I send the publication as email, or do an email preview, the hyperlinks do not work. Please help! ...

Hyperlinks do not work in email in outlook
Shortly after installing the new service pack for Windows XP I began getting this message whenever I tried to click on a hyperlink in an email: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I assume it is because some switch has been set. Could someone tell me how to regain the ability to use the embedded links in email in outlook? Thanks Bob <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Shortly after installing the new service pack for Windows > XP I began getting this message whene...

Exchange 2003 Envelope Journaling not working
Hi, I have a single Exchange 2003 SP1 server. I'm trying to get envelope journaling to work. I have enabled message journaling and then used "exejcfg.exe -e" to enable envelope journaling. The journal mailbox is receiving the standard message journal messages, but not the envelope journal formatted messages. I have verified with LDP to confirm the heuristic value is 512 for the Exchange Org object. Anyone else seen this before or have any advice? Thanks --- Greg Reboot maybe? greg@intellireach.com wrote: > Hi, > > I have a single Exchange 2003 SP1 server. I...

Inbox and unread box
What's the purpose of having an inbox and an unread box in my outlook 2003. They both read the same number of messages. Is it a duplicate? With Outlook xp, it would simply show a number in black, to let me know the number of unopened messages. Now, there seems to be a separate folder entitled "unread" and it has the exact same number of email messages as my inbox ... all of time, and has always displayed the exact same number since I installed it. Is anyone able to explain this? I dont' understand it. Thanks in advance. Diana Definitely not a duplicate; it's a S...

DB Mail is is not working. Need help please.
I have try stop and start the db mail by executing the SPs below but no luck. Does anyone has seem the error below and how to fix it. Thanks in advance for your advise/help. --steps USE msdb; go EXECute sysmail_stop_sp; go EXECute sysmail_start_sp; go EXECute sysmail_help_queue_sp @queue_type = 'Mail'; go queue_type length state last_empty_rowset_time last_activated_time ---------- ----------- ---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------- ------------...

failure of Open XML 1.1.4 to work
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Previous versions of this worked fine. This version comes up with comment &quot;not enough memory&quot;. As I have 2mg Ram this seems strange. Any help appreciated. I'm afraid you haven't provided sufficient information for anyone to go on, especially since that message quite often has nothing to do with memory. For any questions of a technical or performance nature it's important that you specify your current update level of OS X as well as for Office. Exactly when does this messag...

How do I get automatic completion to work for an in-cell dropdown
If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropdown, I'd like typing 'G' to auto-select Gamma. I'm pretty sure it was doing that at some point, but now, it does not. This isn't supported under data|validation. You could use A,B,G in the dropdown and then use a helper cell with a formula in it, though. Say you put your abbreviations in A1:A3 of sheet2 and the real names in B1:B3, then you could use: =if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)) Joseph Weisblatt wrote: > > If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropd...

Text box jumps to left of page
Word 2004 (I am relatively new to Word and am delighted to find a forum specifically for the Mac version. There are a number of unresolved, niggling issues I can live however they slow the workflow. I am eager to learn.) In the recent past, I manually converted 12,000+ recipes from WordPerfect 7 to Word. Since Word 2004 does not have a filter for the old files, the conversion was done on the Windows side of my Mac in Word2003. Those files _usually_ open without protest also in 2004. One annoyance regards text boxes. When text was highlighted and a text box was requested for it in...

_CRTDBG_MAP_ALLOC doesn't seem to work
I'm having problems tracking down a meory leak and thought the best way would be to follow the instructions in MDSN: "Detecting and Isolating Memory Leaks Using Microsoft Visual C++" However, I can only get the basic memory dump, without source file and line number. It's as if _CRTDBG_MAP_ALLOC is being ignored. I tried building a test application (basic MFC SDI application) to try it out. At the top of Leaktest.h, I have #define _CRTDBG_MAP_ALLOC #include <stdlib.h> #include <crtdbg.h> In CLeakTestApp::InitInstance(), I have _CrtSetDbgFlag( _CRTD...

OWA timeout does not work for every client
I set the timeout setting on OWA, i don't have any issues but i'm getting lots of complaints that users are getting logged of after 15 min. why does this happen with some clients but not all? thx ...

I cannot paste from one workbook to another. Copy works, paste do.
When I attempt to copy from one workbook and paste into another, copy appears to work but paste does not. The paste menu item is grayed out in the workbook to which I attempt to paste. Are there setting that can be changed to aloow the paste?? Check to see if either workbook and/or worksheet is protected. If so, unprotect. Then Copy/Paste should work. BTW, how are you copy?paste(ing) Tab or content? Dennis "JimmyMc" wrote: > When I attempt to copy from one workbook and paste into another, copy appears > to work but paste does not. The paste menu item is grayed out...

Work Schedule in Excel doc ... Don't have Excel
I just started a new job and the boss sent next weeks schedule in Exce format but I don't have excel. Is there anyway to just read an Exce file? If not can someone tell me my schedule for me -- charlene202 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- charlene2021's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1641 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27780 Hi you can get a free viewer for excel from the microsoft site .. the following link should get you there http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/of...

List box
I am trying to use the list box function from the control toolbar. I am not sure how to get the listings I want in the list box. Is there certain VB coding that is needed? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Todd No VBA code needed. In Design mode, click on your list box and select Properties from the Control toolbox (or right-click your list box and select Properties), then scroll down to the ListFillRange Property and indicate the cell range address that has the items you want to appear in the box (i.e., A1:A10). Then exit out of design mode and test your list box. MRO "Tod...

Journal stopped working #2
I have noticed that after upgrading from Outlook XP (2002) to Office Outlook 2003 my journal has completely stopped logging entries. I have turned it off and re-initialized it and still not entries. I mailing want it to log Word and Excel files. Any help would be appreciated I am running Exchange 2003 in cached outlook mode on a SBS 2003 server. ...

Table headers in a list box (Custom Report)
I have a big table with many fields (more than fifty). They are not in one table but related. Now user's come with a requirement of a separate type of report everyday which has different fields. because of which i have to design a report for them with the required query. I was therefore wondering can i make a form which has two list boxes the one on left side will have all the fields of the table (only headers needed, not data). Users can select multiple no. of fields from that list box which will appear in another list box. Users should be able to then select the order of fi...

Spreadsheet macro stopped working!
Hi, I recently made an Excel spreadsheet for keeping track of my golf score. The spreadsheet is quite simple. It consists of 4 sheets: Scorecard, statistics, database and equations (for calculating some specific). I insert informations about the golf course I'm playing and how my score was etc. I then hit a button "Save scorecard" that runs a macro. The macro inserts specifik values from the scorecard into the database sheet (which works like a charm). The macro also updates the "Statistics" sheet with information about stroke number and points for ...

Working with elapsed time data
How do I set up Excel to accept race times for a cross- country team? I want to enter minutes and seconds for each runner for each race. Then I want to calculate each runner's average time. When I enter minutes and seconds, Excel converts it to the time of day - which is not what I want. Go to www.cpearson.com for lots of tips on working with time. Bernard "DW" <dweskalnies@vertisinc.com> wrote in message news:080f01c38854$46e18100$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How do I set up Excel to accept race times for a cross- > country team? I want to enter minutes and seconds for...

Dead Exchange box
I have a SBS 2003 Box that has failed and the owner has no back ups! (Fool) All I have to work with is the new box (Sane Name as the old box) and have managed to retrive the exchange folders from the old srever. Could someone please tell me the best way to get the data back On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:49:02 -0700, AndrewS <AndrewS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a SBS 2003 Box that has failed and the owner has no back ups! (Fool) >All I have to work with is the new box (Sane Name as the old box) and have >managed to retrive the exchange folders from the old srever....