Users and Asset Data linked on Form

Hello everyone,
I have two tables, one a Staff list and the other an Asset list
extracted from seperate databases, the information in the tables has
absolutely no common data, I have a form with the user name and other
bits and pieces on from the staff list and also a drop down list of
all asset numbers which I can then select the appropiate asset number
from then, that asset number and other details I would like to be
associated to that user.

I have tried, I have done this in the past about 4 years ago but I
cannot remember any of it!

Any help would most appreciated

Cheers
David
0
Dave

David,

The first thing to clarify is whether there will only ever be one Asset
associated with any given Staff, or whether a Staff can have more than
one Asset.  Or, less likely I suppose, whether an Asset can be
associated with more than one Staff.

--
Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP

Dave wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I have two tables, one a Staff list and the other an Asset list
> extracted from seperate databases, the information in the tables has
> absolutely no common data, I have a form with the user name and other
> bits and pieces on from the staff list and also a drop down list of
> all asset numbers which I can then select the appropiate asset number
> from then, that asset number and other details I would like to be
> associated to that user.
>
> I have tried, I have done this in the past about 4 years ago but I
> cannot remember any of it!
>
> Any help would most appreciated
>
> Cheers
> David
0
Steve
11/30/2007 7:44:12 AM
Thanks Steve,
A user certainly could have several assets for instance a PC, printer,
scanner, etc. It is also possible for a PC to be shared. But for the
moment just to show how you would do it and hopefully I will be able
to adapt it from there lets assume one asset is allocated to one
person, how would that be achieved/

Cheers
David

0
Dave
11/30/2007 9:53:30 AM
David,

Well, that's the point, you see.  How it would be achieved in one case
is quite different from how it would be achieved in another, so staring
with one and then adapting to the other doesn't really come into it.  If
we assume one asset is allocated to one person, you would need to put an
AssetNumber field in the Staff table, where each Staff has their
associated asset entered, which would be done via a combobox on the
Staff form.  Whereas if we are talking one-to-many relationships, you
would need a separate table for the asset allocation data, which
includes both the StaffID and AssetNumber fields, so the data can be
related to both the Staff and Asset tables.  And the data would be
entered via a subform, which is based on the Allocation table, and
placed onto the Staff form.

So, tryu it like this...

1.  Make an Allocation table, with these fields:
AssetNumber (same data type as corresponding field in Assets table)
StaffID (same data type as id field in Staff table)

2.  If you want to keep historical tracking of asset allocation, this
would also be the place to add other relevant fields e.g. AllocationDate.

3.  Make a Continuous View from based on this Allocations table.

4.  Make the control for StaffID hidden (set Visible property to No)

5.  Make the control for AssetNumber as a combobox, whose Row Source is
the Assets table.  Adjust the properties of this combobox so you can see
the columns you want to see in the drop-down list.

6.  Place this form as a subform on the Staff form.  Set the Link Child
Fields and Link Master Fields properties as StaffID.

7.  Open the Staff form at the record for one of the Staff members, and
try entering in the subform the Asset(s) associated with that person

--

Dave wrote:
> Thanks Steve,
> A user certainly could have several assets for instance a PC, printer,
> scanner, etc. It is also possible for a PC to be shared. But for the
> moment just to show how you would do it and hopefully I will be able
> to adapt it from there lets assume one asset is allocated to one
> person, how would that be achieved/
>
> Cheers
> David

0
Steve
11/30/2007 7:24:21 PM
Thanks Steve,
That's extremely helpful

Cheers
David
0
Dave

Use Form to prompt for report criteria

not able to link chart points from same series
I'm working on a chart that pull information from several pages. Tha table is able to plot information correctly in the graph but I can't seem to link the dots on the chart with a line. Everytime I try a linear chart or a scatered chart with smoth lines, the lines start from the x axis and reach the dot rather than connecting dots from the same series. suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If the points are not in the same series (i.e., the data source is from different sheets, not a single summary sheet), you will never link them. If you have gaps, true actual blanks (n...

user initials and auto correction
Hi, Can someone please help me with the following...? People usually type JD in the To: field when they want to send me an email via Outlook. After a recent addition and deletion of another account with the initials of JD I'm finding that it is default to this user - and it's not even trying to qualify the correct recipient with a list of possible users, like it does with other similar users. I would like it to ask for qualification and also default to my account. Any ideas anyone? Thanks, Joe "Joey D" <joeydocherty2404@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Can...

The Links from e-mails don't work
If I copy the links and insert it into IE 8 it reads it. Trying to link over from an e-mail directly is not working. If I copy the link and go to IE 8.0 the link (URL address) works. It was working before. pgman27 You mean if you click on the link in a message it does nothing, not even an error message? Are you certain IE has all its defaults? Open the Default Programs applet, which you can access either from the Start menu or via the Control Panel, then click the first item: "Set your default programs." After a few seconds, a list of programs comes up. Click on...

Twist Data?...
Hi all... I've got the following in a dataset: 19 30 1200 FI FI 20030906 36 19 30 1324 FI FI 20030906 36 and I want the following result: 19 30 1200, 1324 FI FI 20030906 26 Any guess on how to do this? thanks much!... Hmmm... Not quite clear: The data is arranged in columns, I assume It looks as if both items in the same column are the same, you want just one item, otherwise the one in the top row first, then the one from the bottom row. But what about the last 36s that should yield 26? Typo? Does the dataset have more columns or more rows or both? And how big is it?...

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Transformation of data into columns

Filling Web Form
Dear freinds Hello, I have written code in vc++ using MFC to fill the Webform using HTTP post method and I'm able to fill the form but I'm facing a problem that I'm unable to fill login name and password. So any one amongst you have any Idea or help then please help me With Regards Sachin ...

Data Validation List not showing

Add new record through Form view
I have a table which is linked to a form, i would like to have a command button which will add a new record to my table. On the click of command button it should view the last empty row of my table in a form. On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:11:01 -0800, Ranjith Kurian <RanjithKurian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a table which is linked to a form, i would like to have a command >button which will add a new record to my table. >On the click of command button it should view the last empty row of my table >in a form. The Click event should show [Event Proced...

Link and Embed in 2003
Using the Insert>Picture>From File comand we can use either the 'insert' or 'link to file' command to insert a picture. During our development we prefer to link pictures then when completed save the .ppt with all pictures embedded. 1. When pictures are in slides during design is it possible to tell if the picture is linked or embedded? 2. Is there a way to embed any/all linked pictures when the slide presentation is completed without going to each slide and reinserting the picture as 'insert' Cheers! -- Blumburg In article <07E6153F-5D...

linking worksheets #3
I know ho to link cells to oher cells. But is there a convenient way to link ranges or worksheets to others. Hi just link the first cell e.g. ='sheet1'!A1 and copy this formula for your range. The reference will adapt automatically -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany j van c wrote: > I know ho to link cells to oher cells. But is there a convenient way > to link ranges or worksheets to others. ...

I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does not work. When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. How can I get it to work. Thanks. On Apr 4, 12:33=A0pm, Mint <chocolatemint77...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does > not work. > When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. > > How can I get it to work. > > Thanks. Is this Windows MCE SP2? What method did you use to add time update permission to your limited user account? Does your unlimited user accou...

Adding extra data options
Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. Can you add extra data fileds and types in CRM 3.0? You can add extra data fields to an entity. Go to entities customization at setting area. -- Marco Amoedo Plain Concepts http://geeks.ms/blogs/marco/ "xxdcmast" escribió: > Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would > like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. > > Can you add extra data ...

trying to link maps and pie charts
Hello I was trying to link sales data stored in an excel table with a specific country in MapPoint. This software allows you to do this very easily. You can even picture the data in piecharts (% sales for each competitor). However there is very little flexibility with the look of the result: you cannot choose the color of the slices of the pie, you may not display data on the graph, and the maps do not look very professional. I know it is possible to link automatically a table with a shape in visio. Can this shape be a given country/region on a map? Can the callouts have th...

make outlook automatically delete html mail with linked images
The junk mail filter should be able to automatically delete html mail with linked images ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9e1b783b-c9c1-44f2-a1dd-93da59216c56&dg=microsoft.public.outloo...

Limiting CRM application ability to aasigning user to approprite CRM security group
IT administrator that I have for client does not like the idea of CRM application assigning user group automatically. They prefer to do the security group assignment manually. Is this possible? What do I need to do to achieve that? Thanks Kyaw Hi Kyaw, I did it the following way for a customer: 1) You will need to precreate the five groups within your AD. There is no need of having a own OU (Container, Organizational Unit) for them. Follow the naming convention of your company or use the default namings from Microsoft for the five groups. There is no need for your AD Admin to assig...