Update Status field by record selection

Table 1 Name:  Bank
Table 2 Name:  Ledger

1 Main form with 4 subforms (only having problem with 2 subforms)
1st Subform:  UnMatch1 (query based on Ledger)
2nd Subform:  UnMatch2 (query based on Bank)

Once my users verfied information from both subforms, they will decide if
those items match (by record) on the Status field.

I need to have a CmdMatch which can allow users to select particular record
and make update the Status to Match or UnMatch.

I did some research all day but only one that's close enough to what I wanted
is the following code:

Private Sub CmdMatch_Click()
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim db As DAO.Database
Set db = CurrentDb

mySQL = "UPDATE Ledger SET Status = ""Matched"" WHERE [Status] = '" & Status
& "'"

 CurrentDb.Execute mySQL

End Sub

This code changes all records to "Matched" in the Status field.  ??

Thanks in advance.

accessuser

The field that I want to update is "status" field.  I have it in continuous
form right now, so I want it to change from UnMatched to "Matched" base on
the record I select.  I only want it to apply to whatever record I select.
How do i do that??

Thanks.

Mr B wrote:
>You need one more critera in your sql statement. You are simply requesting to
>happen exactly what you are describing that is happening.
>
>You did not indicate what you have for a Key field in the "Ledgere" table.
>What ever that key field is, you would need to add the value from that field
>for the current record to the criteria.  That will specify the one and only
>record that is to be updated.
>> Table 1 Name:  Bank
>> Table 2 Name:  Ledger
>[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

accessuser
3/5/2007 1:23:23 AM
You must include in the "WHERE" part of your sql statement the value of the
Key field for the record you want to update.

You just add to the "WHERE" part of the sql statement.  Something like:

mySQL = "UPDATE Ledger SET Status = ""Matched"" WHERE [Status] = '" & Status
& "' AND [Name of Key field from the Ledger table]  = value of Key field for
record to be updated""

You'll have to provide the exact field name from the Ledger table and the
value of the key field for the record you want to update.
--
HTH

Mr B

"accessuser via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> The field that I want to update is "status" field.  I have it in continuous
> form right now, so I want it to change from UnMatched to "Matched" base on
> the record I select.  I only want it to apply to whatever record I select.
> How do i do that??
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mr B wrote:
> >You need one more critera in your sql statement. You are simply requesting to
> >happen exactly what you are describing that is happening.
> >
> >You did not indicate what you have for a Key field in the "Ledgere" table.
> >What ever that key field is, you would need to add the value from that field
> >for the current record to the criteria.  That will specify the one and only
> >record that is to be updated.
> >> Table 1 Name:  Bank
> >> Table 2 Name:  Ledger
> >[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.

[Name of Key field from the Ledger table]  = value of Key field

What do you mean?  My key field is "Status" and I don't know which record i
will select.  It various depends on which record users select.  Can you
explain it in more detail, i didn't write the code above, i did some research
on this site and that's how i got it.  I'm confused your code.  Do i just
type "Status" again in your [Name of Key field from the Ledger table]???

Thanks for taking the time to reply my question.

Mr B wrote:
>You must include in the "WHERE" part of your sql statement the value of the
>Key field for the record you want to update.
>
>You just add to the "WHERE" part of the sql statement.  Something like:
>
>mySQL = "UPDATE Ledger SET Status = ""Matched"" WHERE [Status] = '" & Status
>& "' AND [Name of Key field from the Ledger table]  = value of Key field for
>record to be updated""
>
>You'll have to provide the exact field name from the Ledger table and the
>value of the key field for the record you want to update.
>> The field that I want to update is "status" field.  I have it in continuous
>> form right now, so I want it to change from UnMatched to "Matched" base on
>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

accessuser
3/5/2007 5:37:17 PM
I seriously doubt that your "Dey" field is Status.  Status was the field that
you indicated that you wanted to update for a selected record.

The "[Name of Key field from the Ledger table]" is the name of a field that
holds a unique value for each of your records in the "Ledger" table.
Normally this would be an "AutoNumber" type field that is automatically
incremented each time a user adds a record to the table.

Let's see if we can start from the top.  How does the user select the record
that is to have the "Status" updated.  If they are selecting this record from
a list box or a combo box, then the record source (query) must include the
unique value that will identify a specific record.  The bound column for the
list box or combo box needs to be set to be that unique field.  You can
display any other field(s) you like but the bound field needs to be the
unique (key) field.  This wan, when the user selects a reocrd, the value of
the list box will be the unique (key) value for the selected record.

You would then use that value in the "WHERE" part of your sql statement.

Try something like this in the "AfterUpdate" event of the listbox or combox
where users are selecting the record to be updated. (This assumes that the
listbox or combo box has the Key value as the bound column.

Dim lngRecID as long
lngRecID = Me.NameOfYourListbox
mySQL = "UPDATE ledger Set Status = ""Matched"" WHERE YourKeyFieldName = " &
lngRecId & ""

CurrentDb.Execute mySQL

Be careful about the word wrapping in the sql statement. For now, just keep
it all on the same line.

The code above will read the value of the bound value for the selected
record, assign that value to a variable and then use that value in the SQL
statement.

--
HTH

Mr B

"accessuser via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> [Name of Key field from the Ledger table]  = value of Key field
>
> What do you mean?  My key field is "Status" and I don't know which record i
> will select.  It various depends on which record users select.  Can you
> explain it in more detail, i didn't write the code above, i did some research
> on this site and that's how i got it.  I'm confused your code.  Do i just
> type "Status" again in your [Name of Key field from the Ledger table]???
>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply my question.
>

> Mr B wrote:
> >You must include in the "WHERE" part of your sql statement the value of the
> >Key field for the record you want to update.
> >
> >You just add to the "WHERE" part of the sql statement.  Something like:
> >
> >mySQL = "UPDATE Ledger SET Status = ""Matched"" WHERE [Status] = '" & Status
> >& "' AND [Name of Key field from the Ledger table]  = value of Key field for
> >record to be updated""
> >
> >You'll have to provide the exact field name from the Ledger table and the
> >value of the key field for the record you want to update.
> >> The field that I want to update is "status" field.  I have it in continuous
> >> form right now, so I want it to change from UnMatched to "Matched" base on
> >[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

I'm sorry, after all these, i am still having problem with this code.  Ex) my
user compare the UnMatched record to their check register, and found out,
there is an adjustment.  They will do whatever they have to do, and then
change the UnMatched to Match, because they made an adjustment.

But after reading your code and tried for many hours, it is still not working.
Could you explain to me one more time.  Maybe i missed something from your
code, but i tried so many different way.

Private Sub CmdMatch_Click()
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim db As DAO.Database
Set db = CurrentDb()

mySQL = "UPDATE Ledger SET Status = ""Matched"" WHERE [Status] = '" & Status
& "' AND [Check_Num]"

 CurrentDb.Execute mySQL
End Sub

Check_Num is not my primary key for this Ledger Table.  sometimes there could
be two, because one is the cleared amount by the bank, and the other might be
adjustments.  Manually, users will have to type delete UnMatched, and type
Matched, then its all set.  Any easy way to just tell the cmd to change its
value???

I really appreciate your help on this.

Mr B wrote:
>I seriously doubt that your "Dey" field is Status.  Status was the field that
>you indicated that you wanted to update for a selected record.
>
>The "[Name of Key field from the Ledger table]" is the name of a field that
>holds a unique value for each of your records in the "Ledger" table.
>Normally this would be an "AutoNumber" type field that is automatically
>incremented each time a user adds a record to the table.
>
>Let's see if we can start from the top.  How does the user select the record
>that is to have the "Status" updated.  If they are selecting this record from
>a list box or a combo box, then the record source (query) must include the
>unique value that will identify a specific record.  The bound column for the
>list box or combo box needs to be set to be that unique field.  You can
>display any other field(s) you like but the bound field needs to be the
>unique (key) field.  This wan, when the user selects a reocrd, the value of
>the list box will be the unique (key) value for the selected record.
>
>You would then use that value in the "WHERE" part of your sql statement.
>
>Try something like this in the "AfterUpdate" event of the listbox or combox
>where users are selecting the record to be updated. (This assumes that the
>listbox or combo box has the Key value as the bound column.
>
>Dim lngRecID as long
>lngRecID = Me.NameOfYourListbox
>mySQL = "UPDATE ledger Set Status = ""Matched"" WHERE YourKeyFieldName = " &
>lngRecId & ""
>
>CurrentDb.Execute mySQL
>
>Be careful about the word wrapping in the sql statement. For now, just keep
>it all on the same line.
>
>The code above will read the value of the bound value for the selected
>record, assign that value to a variable and then use that value in the SQL
>statement.
>
>> [Name of Key field from the Ledger table]  = value of Key field
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]

accessuser
3/6/2007 1:52:49 AM
Ok, we'll take another shot at it.

First, i notice that you are declaring a recordset and and then using that
variable to open the recordset.  If you are working in the current database,
then you do not need to do this. You can just create your sql statement and
then execute it.

You may need to send me a copy of your database so I can actually see what
you are doing and how your tables are designed.

If you want to send me a copy, then attach it to an email and send it to:
mrbpolknospamplease@suddenlink.net (just remove the no spam please)

I will be happy to look at it and see what we can do.
--
> [...]

> >You would then use that value in the "WHERE" part of your sql statement.
> >
> >Try something like this in the "AfterUpdate" event of the listbox or combox
> >where users are selecting the record to be updated. (This assumes that the
> >listbox or combo box has the Key value as the bound column.
> >
> >Dim lngRecID as long
> >lngRecID = Me.NameOfYourListbox
> >mySQL = "UPDATE ledger Set Status = ""Matched"" WHERE YourKeyFieldName = " &
> >lngRecId & ""
> >
> >CurrentDb.Execute mySQL
> >
> >Be careful about the word wrapping in the sql statement. For now, just keep
> >it all on the same line.
> >
> >The code above will read the value of the bound value for the selected
> >record, assign that value to a variable and then use that value in the SQL
> >statement.
> >
> >> [Name of Key field from the Ledger table]  = value of Key field

I tried to send the database to you by email for 4 times, but all came back
failed.  Is there anything that you see is missing on my code.  I am running
this code on the VBA, right?

Mr B wrote:
>Ok, we'll take another shot at it.
>
>First, i notice that you are declaring a recordset and and then using that
>variable to open the recordset.  If you are working in the current database,
>then you do not need to do this. You can just create your sql statement and
>then execute it.
>
>You may need to send me a copy of your database so I can actually see what
>you are doing and how your tables are designed.
>
>If you want to send me a copy, then attach it to an email and send it to:
>mrbpolknospamplease@suddenlink.net (just remove the no spam please)
>
>I will be happy to look at it and see what we can do.
>> I'm sorry, after all these, i am still having problem with this code.  Ex) my
>> user compare the UnMatched record to their check register, and found out,
>[quoted text clipped - 66 lines]

accessuser

Letter Writing Assistant Fields
Would like to be able to add other fields other than the menu available in Word. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=57b4ee9b-3cfd-44e1-aad2-0ae86ffd16eb&dg...

Showing orders with a certain value of a bit field?
I've included a custom field on the order form. It's a bit field with the values YES and NO. The default value is NO. Our employees use this field to tell the system, if an order has been complete and is ready for invoicing. (We do not want to use the system possibility of completing an order). I've made a custom view of orders, where the view criteria is, that the value of this bit field is NO. And another view where the view criteria is, that the value is YES. However, when I select these views, I cannot see any orders. Could someone please explain, what I'm doing wr...

How to make a commad button show a new record
I know the code for a command button to show a new record is: DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec But the question I have is, how do I stop the mouse scrolltab action from moving to a previous or new reocord. I only want the command button of new record and command button of previous buttons to move the records back and forth. Can I get help on this matter. If you really want to disable the mouse wheel, see: http://www.lebans.com/mousewheelonoff.htm But *why* you wish to put the user into a straight jacket and prevent them using the familiar ways to functionality to move records? To do that...

Spell checking current record
I have added a spell check to a database using DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSpelling Which works, I just want it to spell check the current record, not the whole database. Is that possible? "jamccarley" <jamccarley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0ED2E35-3346-41D9-939D-56F9F345C309@microsoft.com... >I have added a spell check to a database using > > DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSpelling > > Which works, I just want it to spell check the current record, not the > whole > database. Is that possible? IIRC, if you select the record...

is there a way to make graphic indicators of status
In MS Project you can customize a field to give a graphic indicator for the status. Is there a way to do it in excel? -- rdc EXCEL 2007 You appear to want Conditional Formatting. You may find the following helpful. Go into F 1 Help Facility and type in:- conditional formatting Hit the Search, "button". There is s topic called:- Conditionally formatted data: Examples and guidlines Click on the above topic. Opening the above topic there is a hyperlink about three quarters of the way down the page called:- Conditional Formatting Samples Click on...

update /delete external refs
I have written a macro and want to se it on older workbooks.This requires that a new page replaces an existing page.However all the references come over with the new page.I want to use edit/find replace all to replace [JUL02]Frame!C$6 with Frame!C$6 ie delete all references to original worksheet.(or some other way!) I have figured it out!.I copy the new page over to the old worksheet and then change source of links back to itself! >-----Original Message----- >I have written a macro and want to se it on older >workbooks.This requires that a new page replaces an >existing pa...

auto select
I am here by attaching a file, in which i need some help from th experts, which i always getting from them in the past. in this file there are 3 sheets, one for the main sheet i am usin other for i am generating the bill, third i made recently for my ne finding . Earlier i had a question which is not clear for you, In the Main shee if i put p(purchase) , and F colomn the code for example 1201, i hav to get the I coloumn automatically USD and the rate range should onl accept between .38 and .384. I mean the main sheet i need the linkin help from rate sheet. If i get this help i can made...

How can I update endnote cross-references in Word 2007 ?
I created a long document with many endnotes and some cross-references to these endnotes. When I insert a new endnote somewhere in the document, the following endnote numbers change but not the cross-reference numbers. This seems to be a bug in Word 2007 as it worked perfectly in my previous Word version. How can I update endnote cross-references in Word 2007 ? Ctrl+A, F9 should work in all versions of Word. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Joe56" <Joe56@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

POS/RMS: A bigger window for Notes field.
Hi, can you please increase the Notes field or maybe make a separate new tab and make the Notes field large? I realize that the I can enter a large amount of information into the current Notes field...but the window is very tiny. We always keep a lot of information on our customers and using the tiny Notes window is very inconvenient even though we realize that it can keep a lot of data. It would be better if we can view a larger and wider Notes field and I am sure many of your clients or users of POS would agree. Great enhancement but would be easy for you to implement. -----------...

Report Writer should allow more than 80 chars in Static Field txt
Report Writer does not allow to have more than 80 characters in the static fields text. Only option would be to align them and this results in spaces between them..This issue should be looked upon ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.c...

Is there any way a macro can be created for various print area selections?
Hi, I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a way to have a macro select a print area of a constant width (columns A thru K) but with a variable length. Our MRP system will dump our BOM's into Excel and all of the BOM's vary in the number of rows used. Some can be 3 pages while others will be 15 pages. Currently we have to set up a print area to capture the information we want printed under columns A thru K everytime we go to print a BOM. Please advise, Steve If you hit ctrl-end, do you go way past where you think the data should end? If yes, you could use the techniques at...

ActiveX object security in the HTML Status page
Hi all, Have a funny issue over here: I have an ActiveX object (it's a simple "WScript.Shell") in my HTML status page, for the RMS POS. I'm using it for the SendKeys possibilities... Everything works well, but each time the Cushier need to start working with the POS (and the Status page need to be loaded) we get the question/warrning from the system if we want to let the ActiveX object to be executed. I know it is silly, but each time we need to start POS we need to do this... I want to take this question/warning out. Have tryed with the properties of the Internet E...

Solution for: Windows XP (NL): Windows Activation Problem + Windows Automatic Update Problem = Very Slow Computer.
I think I have found a solution on the internet, I will sum it up shortly because the description wasn't that accurate, my description will be more accurate with additional information about what I think might have happened, but first a little story what I wanted to do today: Today I wanted to try and install Service Pack 3 for Windows XP dutch version (NL). This was not possible because Windows Automatic Updates was required by the Microsoft website to be able to download it and windows automatic updates is malfunctioning, so that became a short attempt. Then I decided to ...

KB982524-.Net update
WIN XP PRO SP3 I have just dll, burnt to disc and installed this update. All went well - the yellow shield has gone from system tray, but on checking Add/Remove, the KB installed is 976576?? Is this correct? Rgds Antioch On 2010-06-25 8:43 a.m., antioch wrote: > WIN XP PRO SP3 > > I have just dll, burnt to disc and installed this update. > All went well - the yellow shield has gone from system tray, but on > checking Add/Remove, the KB installed is 976576?? > > Is this correct? KB982524 says that 982524 is an update rollup, and references 9765...

Date Selection for Pivot Table
I build some pivot tables for our laboratuary. They contains daily analysis results. I want a solution to: 1-) User can enter week number and then daily analysis for that week appears day by day on a pivot table. Example: Input: 49 Output:29/11/2004---> 05/12/2004 on pivot table and regarding data 2-) User can enter month and than daily analysis for that month appears day by day on a pivot table. Example: Input 11 Output:01/11/2004--->30/11/2004 on pivot table and regarding data Thanks a lot ...

Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB956744) Cannot Install.
For Windows Server 2003. This is a standard Windows Update that I try to install but get a message that it failed to install. I can't find any source to tell me why it won't or what I can do about it. I am not getting an error code of any sort - it is just listed under "not installed" when I get my update installation screen at the end of the installs. Can anyone help please? I downloaded the update manually from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a37a2d8a-a5ce-4f06-bf07-8cafa16e7a59&displaylang=en Ran it, and then ran Check U...

Macro to select files with specific dates from a folder
I would appreciate your help to create a macro. I have a folder with a particular date say Aug 2006 and it contains various files with specific dates say 1st August, 2nd August etc and some with different date format. The macro should pick up only those files with dates 1st August, 2nd August and NOT select the files with the different date format and deposit these selected files into a new folder named Aug 2007. I want to make the macro code as generic as possible. Thanks, Amit Check out this page http://www.rondebruin.nl/folder.htm See the macro Copy_Files_Dates -- Regards Ron de Br...

Count Records in a SubForm
Hey everyone... Struggling with some syntax here. I'm trying to Count records in a subform. I have a textbox and have set it equal to many variations of the following... =[qryStudents subform1].[Form]![ID].[Form].[RecordsetClone]. [RecordCount] Most of the examples I've seen of this take the form of nameofsubformcontrol.Form.RecordsetClone.RecordCount What I'm having trouble with is, my subform control's name is qryStudents subform1. The field I'm trying is the ID field. How would I combine that into one line, so teh syntax above would work? Any ide...

Merging two select cases
I am trying to produce a single select statement which is true for two separate cases (so I can reuse it within an IN expression.. which means no IF statements). The answer is probably so simple I'll smack my head. Here is the setup: DROP TABLE #A; DROP TABLE #B; DROP TABLE #C; DROP TABLE #D; CREATE TABLE #A (ID int primary key clustered, PR_ID int null, [User_ID] int null) INSERT INTO #A (ID, PR_ID, [User_ID]) VALUES (99, NULL, 904551) CREATE TABLE #B (ID int primary key clustered, PR_ID int null, [User_ID] int null) INSERT INTO #B (ID, PR_ID, [User_ID]) VALUES (96, 57,...

How to use cascading combos to *select* locations
Hi, I'm a bit lost, and finding the Access learning curve *very* steep... Anyway, I have read about using filtered queries to limit available selections in eg. combo box 2 based on the entry selected from combo box 1. However, I think I need something a little different. I am trying to develop a database to catalogue "talks" given at various locations (locations are three lookup tables: Country, Region, and Building). And the main reason I do not wish to use filtered queries is that I wish the locations to be unique (eg. two different regions might have a building with the s...

parsing and importing a text file with records through a VBA macro
Hi all, I'm really stuck in a problem in parsing and importing a text file into an Excel sheet with a VBA macro. I strongly need to do it by a VBA macro in order to postprocess the resulting data through Excel. I searched a lot into the network and I found something useful but I can't achieve the final solution actually. Can you help me please? Your help is really appreciated. My text file is containing several records formatted like this: REC1_FIELD1 REC1_FIELD2 REC1_FIELD3 REC1_FIELD4 REC1_FIELD5 REC1_FIELD6 REC2_FIELD1 REC2_FIELD2 REC2_FIELD3 REC2_FIELD4 R...

field tips?
is there a way i can have instructions pop up as a field is clicked. i'm trying to look for an alternative to writing an instruction manual for the database i'm creating -- deb Deb, Maybe this will work? http://www.lebans.com/tooltip.htm -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "deb" <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8BA27FB-1EEF-4231-A681-0BA0D395261F@microsoft.com... > is ...

How do I join a querry field to a table in a form's SQL
From another post, where I have recieved some help, I am now wanting a little more. I am told that 'In the main Shipping_Control form source SQL you have to join the qryPartValue to tblShipping_Control.' This is the SQL from the qryPartValues SELECT Shipping_Control.DescriptionOfCargo, Shipping_Control.CargoQty, tblValues.Value, ([Shipping_Control].[CargoQty]*[tblValues].[Value]) AS CommercialValue, Shipping_Control.ShippingDate, Shipping_Control.ShipTo, Shipping_Control.ShipFrom, Shipping_Control.CollectionNoteNo, Shipping_Control.PackingListNo, Shipping_Control.Sh...

Change the default color Excel 2007 uses to highlight selected cel
I'm using Excel 2007 and I'd like to change the default color Excel 2007 uses to highlight the selected cells in a worksheet. When selecting a range (ex. A1:D10). The selected range takes on a light transparent blue. Very hard to see when working in selected range. I've tried changing Office>Excel Options>Popular>Color Scheme - 3 colors to choose from (Blue, Silver, Black). This doesn't make a difference with the selection color at all. Also tried to change the Personalization>Appearance>Different Color Schemes with the Advanced option>Item areas, thi...

Access2000: Update query
Hi I have a table p.e. MyTable with columns ID, F01, F02, ..., F12 I also have a view/query p.e. MyQuery, also with columns ID, F01, F02, ..., F12, where MyQuery.ID is read from MyTable (i.e. both table and query have same set of ID-values), and rest of fields are calculated based on data from other tables in database. Now I need to update MyTable with values for columns F01 - F12 from MyQuery for all ID's. Somehow I don't get it working. What will be right syntax? Thanks in advance! Arvi Laanemets Normally, you use something like UPDATE MyTable INNER ...