turning a short date (11/21/07) into a long date (21st Nov 2007)

I've got a form for entering information into my database. The first piece of
information entered is the date time group (in the format yymmdd e.g 071101
is the 1st nov 2007). This is the primary key and so is a unique number in
the records. the next fields are year, month and day. im trying to get it to
work so that these 3 fields automatically fill themselves out based on the
information in the date time group field (i.e with the example above, 2007
would automatically go in the year field, nov in the month etc). any help
would be much appreciated, thanks a lot

=?Utf-8?B?YmVubnk=?= <benny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I've got a form for entering information into my database. The
> first piece of information entered is the date time group (in the
> format yymmdd e.g 071101 is the 1st nov 2007). This is the primary
> key and so is a unique number in the records. the next fields are
> year, month and day. im trying to get it to work so that these 3
> fields automatically fill themselves out based on the information
> in the date time group field (i.e with the example above, 2007
> would automatically go in the year field, nov in the month etc).
> any help would be much appreciated, thanks a lot

Firstly, are you storing the date in a text field? Your comment
about format implies you are. Dates are displayed using a format,
not stored with a format, because the format is a text string.

Proper database design says you do not store the year, month and day
fields separately. You extract those values when needed from the
date by using the functions year([dateField]), month([dateField]

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

Bob
11/3/2007 10:10:06 AM
Hi Benny,
The month, day and year values can all be calculated from the DateTimeGroup
field and should *not* be stored in your table but calculated each time you
need them.  Here's a link that describes how Access stores a date:

Storing, Calculating, and Comparing Date/Time Data
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/q130514/

I would also recommend using a calendar to select dates to eliminate invalid
values.  Here's a selection to pick from:

http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/calendars.html

benny wrote:
>I've got a form for entering information into my database. The first piece of
>information entered is the date time group (in the format yymmdd e.g 071101
>is the 1st nov 2007). This is the primary key and so is a unique number in
>the records. the next fields are year, month and day. im trying to get it to
>work so that these 3 fields automatically fill themselves out based on the
>information in the date time group field (i.e with the example above, 2007
>would automatically go in the year field, nov in the month etc). any help
>would be much appreciated, thanks a lot

--
RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
11/3/2007 10:55:09 AM
Darn, hit send too quick!
Look at the Year(), Month() and Day() functions for your calculations.

benny wrote:
>I've got a form for entering information into my database. The first piece of
>information entered is the date time group (in the format yymmdd e.g 071101
>is the 1st nov 2007). This is the primary key and so is a unique number in
>the records. the next fields are year, month and day. im trying to get it to
>work so that these 3 fields automatically fill themselves out based on the
>information in the date time group field (i.e with the example above, 2007
>would automatically go in the year field, nov in the month etc). any help
>would be much appreciated, thanks a lot

--
RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
11/3/2007 10:56:49 AM
Cool thanks heaps that helps a lot. only other thing is, i added a date/time
column and the format is yymmdd. what would the syntax look like if i wanted
to make it say yymmdd.x (e.d 071101.1 is the first entry on 1 nov, 071101.2
is the second entry in 1 nov etc). i'd want to be able to put the last number
in, not for it to be automatic...
thanks again, much appreciated.
benny

> Cool thanks heaps that helps a lot. only other thing is, i added a
> date/time column and the format is yymmdd. what would the syntax
> look like if i wanted to make it say yymmdd.x (e.d 071101.1 is the
> first entry on 1 nov, 071101.2 is the second entry in 1 nov etc).
> i'd want to be able to put the last number in, not for it to be
> automatic... thanks again, much appreciated.
> benny

For that, I'd put a separate column in the table, to store your
Sequence. Alternately, if you populate the date field with hours and
minutes, you will get them sorted correctly, but that may not be
possible, if importing data as opposed to real-time data-entry.

> "Bob Quintal" wrote:
>
>> =?Utf-8?B?YmVubnk=?= <benny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>
>> > I've got a form for entering information into my database. The
>> > first piece of information entered is the date time group (in
>> > the format yymmdd e.g 071101 is the 1st nov 2007). This is the
>> > primary key and so is a unique number in the records. the next
>> > fields are year, month and day. im trying to get it to work so
>> > that these 3 fields automatically fill themselves out based on
>> > the information in the date time group field (i.e with the
>> > example above, 2007 would automatically go in the year field,
>> > nov in the month etc). any help would be much appreciated,
>> > thanks a lot
>> >

>> Firstly, are you storing the date in a text field? Your comment
>> about format implies you are. Dates are displayed using a format,
>> not stored with a format, because the format is a text string.
>>
>> Proper database design says you do not store the year, month and
>> day fields separately. You extract those values when needed from
>> the date by using the functions year([dateField]),
>> month([dateField]
>>

>> --
>> Bob Quintal
>>
>> PA is y I've altered my email address.
>>
>> --

Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

Bob
11/3/2007 9:17:36 PM
okay thanks heaps i'll have a play round see if i can get it to work...is it
alright if you e-mail me so i can email you directly? have really appreciated
your help so far, cheers

benny

e-mail address is:  kiwi_dood@hotmail.com

"Bob Quintal" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?YmVubnk=?= <benny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
> > Cool thanks heaps that helps a lot. only other thing is, i added a
> > date/time column and the format is yymmdd. what would the syntax
> > look like if i wanted to make it say yymmdd.x (e.d 071101.1 is the
> > first entry on 1 nov, 071101.2 is the second entry in 1 nov etc).
> > i'd want to be able to put the last number in, not for it to be
> > automatic... thanks again, much appreciated.
> > benny
> >
> For that, I'd put a separate column in the table, to store your
> Sequence. Alternately, if you populate the date field with hours and
> minutes, you will get them sorted correctly, but that may not be
> possible, if importing data as opposed to real-time data-entry.

> > "Bob Quintal" wrote:
> >
> >> =?Utf-8?B?YmVubnk=?= <benny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> >> Firstly, are you storing the date in a text field? Your comment
> >> about format implies you are. Dates are displayed using a format,
> >> not stored with a format, because the format is a text string.
> >>
> >> Proper database design says you do not store the year, month and
> >> day fields separately. You extract those values when needed from
> >> the date by using the functions year([dateField]),
> >> month([dateField]
> >>

> >> --
> >> Bob Quintal
> >>
> >> PA is y I've altered my email address.
> >>
> >> --

> Bob Quintal
>
> PA is y I've altered my email address.

This thread seems to be kind of going around and around with the same things
being said multiple times, so to summarize:

Dates are stored in Access as *dates*

Setting the format, ie short, long , whatever has nothing to do with how the
date is stored, only how it's displayed!

In your table, have two fields which are bound to controls on your form:

OriginalDate
EntryNumber

On your form have 4 unbound controls with these Control Sources

Control: Day
Control Source:  =Day([OriginalDate])

Control: Month
Control Source:  =Month([OriginalDate])

Control: Year
Control Source:  =Year([OriginalDate])

Control: DateEntry
Control Source:   =Format([OriginalDate],"yymmdd") & "." & [EntryNumber]

If you wanted to store *DateEntry* you could make it a bound field, and use
the same formula in VBA code to set it. You could also use the same formula
in a calculated field in a query.

The point is, if you store OriginalDate and EntryNumber you can always pull
everything else, whenever you need it!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

Linq
11/4/2007 5:39:02 AM
yeah im struggling with this one..!! i did that and its almost working, just
got a couple more things to fix. could you e-mail me so i can e-mail you back
with the things im still having trouble with..?will stop this getting too
full...

cheers
benny

e-mail addy: kiwi_dood@hotmail.com

> okay thanks heaps i'll have a play round see if i can get it to
> work...is it alright if you e-mail me so i can email you directly?
> have really appreciated your help so far, cheers
>
> benny

I prefer to keep correspondence in the newsgroup, so that others may
read and benefit from the discussions.

I'm here every day.

> "Bob Quintal" wrote:
>
>> =?Utf-8?B?YmVubnk=?= <benny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Cool thanks heaps that helps a lot. only other thing is, i
>> > added a date/time column and the format is yymmdd. what would
>> > the syntax look like if i wanted to make it say yymmdd.x (e.d
>> > 071101.1 is the first entry on 1 nov, 071101.2 is the second
>> > entry in 1 nov etc). i'd want to be able to put the last number
>> > in, not for it to be automatic... thanks again, much
>> > appreciated. benny
>> >
>> For that, I'd put a separate column in the table, to store your
>> Sequence. Alternately, if you populate the date field with hours
>> and minutes, you will get them sorted correctly, but that may not
>> be possible, if importing data as opposed to real-time
>> data-entry.

>> --
>> Bob Quintal
>>
>> PA is y I've altered my email address.
>>
>> --

Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

Bob

Publisher 2007 and Vista
I've created a 1.3MB file in Publisher 2007 running on Vista that is a book and sent it to my editor for final review. She uses Publisher 2007 on Windows XP and was able to open and work on my file. She has sent it back to me for my final review but I cannot open her file on my laptop with a Publisher 2007/Vista combo but I can open the file on an old desktop I have running Publisher 2003 with a compatibility fix and Windows XP. Any suggestions how I can fix this so I can use this file on my Publisher 2007/Vista combo? Thanks. -- Charlierog Disable your anti-virus software, wi...

Oultook 2007 & unread RSS feeds
Hello, It is nice to see the subscribed RSS feeds in Outlook 2007. Howerver there's an annoying thing about it, the unread feeds appear in the virtual search folder as unread items and this makes it very hard to filter out the 'real' email messages from the feeds in the unread mail folder. Is there a way to NOT include the RSS feeds un the search folder? Thanks, Perry RIght-click the search folder, choose Customize This Search Folder, and = select the folders you want to search. --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www....

outlook 2007 error message in archive folders
for no discernable reason some and only some of my archive folders will no longer open and give the following error message: the message interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists restart Oultlook I have restarted not only outlook but rebooted my computer with no positive result. I have also gone back a month to a restore point but this has not changed the position. As I say it is only some files and then only some subfiles in larger files. One month ago there were no issues. I have added no new programs to the computer Try running scanpst.exe against y...

Excel #21
I have another question for this paper that I'm working on and I can't seem to find the answer to. I'm a new user for Excel and I know next to nothing about it. Any help you can give me would be great... The question is: "If you see a spreadsheet with row AND column headings as NUMBERS, what is the problem (if any!!)? Tools > Options > General tab > uncheck R1C1 reference style > OK "allybell1980" wrote: > I have another question for this paper that I'm working on and I can't seem > to find the answer to. I'm a new user for Excel...

Date functions
Our database represents dates by giving the day number within a year. For example, day number 1 is January 1, and day number 365 is December 31. Is there a function to convert day number to mmm-dd? =TEXT(DATE(2005,1,A1),"mmm-dd") where cell A1 holds the day of the year "Kirk P." <KirkP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:847D34F3-CA15-4BA2-A5EB-578DBBB42E6A@microsoft.com... > Our database represents dates by giving the day number within a year. For > example, day number 1 is January 1, and day number 365 is December 31. Is > there a fun...

Invalid Item ID 04-07-04

Tasks with no due date at the bottom?
Is there any way to convince Outlook 2000 to show tasks with no due date at the bottom of the task list -- when the sort is on by due date, ascending? I know if it's sorted by due date descending, the no-due-date tasks will be at the bottom, but that's just not it; what I need is a view sorted by due date, ascending, with no-due-date tasks at the bottom. I suppose it seems quite logical: the closes due dates on top, the farthest due dates lower down the list, the ones without due dates at the very bottom. I would love to do the same with Outlook 2003. I think the answer is that...

Is there a way to change the effective date on EFT transmit files?
I'm trying to determine if there is a way to adjust the effective date that is located on the transmit file for EFT file transmissions. Our transmit files show the current date as the effective date for our batches. We'd like to see a day or 2 later. I believe the location of this "effective date" is between characters 70 and 75 on the 5 record (company/batch header for all entries). ...

went for microsoft office 2003 to upgrade enterprise office 2007
I just upgrade from ms office 2003 to enterprise office 2007, I made my website in ms office 2003 and try to open in enterprise office 2007, it didn't load my pictures and background. What is the problem? ...

Civil Engineering job, summer of 2007
I am currently in the Civil Engineering Technology program at NBCC Moncton. I am searching for a career, starting in the summer of 2007. If any information is available, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, NW ...

coucou 03-21-10
> Ce message est au format MIME. Comme votre programme de lecture de courriers ne comprend pas ce format, il se peut que tout ou une partie de ce message soit illisible. --B_3352023642_719894 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Salut quelqun sait parlez fan�ais ???? --B_3352023642_719894 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>coucou</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <P ALIGN=3DCENTER> <FONT COLO...

space then date causes error
On my spreadsheet they have to type in a date and other calculations are taken from this point. Of the hundreds that have used it there have been no problems, however as always there will always be one....... When they fill in the date they type a space and then type the date, this throws up errors in the other calculations. Not altogether important but is there an easy fix for this, so that if anyone types a space it is ignored, I dont want to get involved in VBA/macro stuff. Right click the sheet tab>view code>insert this>modify range to suit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(By...

Parameter Query using date ranges
I am creating a parameter query where I want to pull data between 2 dates. In the date criteria of my query, if I write between #01/01/2008# and #01/31/2008# +1, I will get all data for January. If I use a form to enter the dates and have Between [Forms]![autoexec]![start] And [Forms]![autoexec]![end] +1 in the date criteria, I get an error. Does anyone know what I should put in the criteria to make the query work? Are you entering your dates as m/d/y? What happens if you try: DateAdd("d", 1, [Forms]![autoexec]![end]) Is the form open? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access...

Installing Exchange 2007 into exsiting organization
This is the first Exchange 2007 we have. Current environment is a mix of Exchange 2000 and 2003 in native mode. During the installation step, it is asking me to enter the name of organization, which I am hesitate to do -- I don't want to create a new Exchange organization under our domain. What should I do so it will pick up the exsiting organization and try to add itself into there ?? I am sorry, let me provide more info about the above post. I read this arcitle: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/54c6e6d4-aa19-4d30-87b6-31a1ca018a3f.aspx and was following the instruction ...

Empty cells showing that they are default formated to "Date"
I created a spead sheet with one column set as a date the first to the end of the month. The other columns have various in text and accounting info. If I click on a empty cell it show in the format section on the bar the the cell is set up to have a date entry. This is all over the page. Can any one tell me why this is happening? -- Fred You can correct that by setting the formating for the other columns. Simply click on the column(s) then right click and select Format cells, or select the column(s) then go to Format and then Cells. In the selection list choose any option bes...

line graph-need to pick up dates as values for the x axis?
How do you get a line graph to pick up and show dates as the values on the x axis, not starting at zero nor at the first of the month. There doesn't seem to be anywhere for x-axis data to be transferred to the x- axis. I did put the dates into a row of cells and highlight them. i am using MS office 2000. Go to Source Data on the Chart menu. On the Series tab, select the series, then click in the XValues box, clear it if necessary, and select the range that contains your dates. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions ht...

How Do I Turn Off Money 2006's Upgrade Spam?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C6B6F5.B2647A90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Now that Money 2007 is out, Money 2006 burps out a series of two = exasperating pop-ups chiding me to upgrade. I thought that maybe after = blowing it away several times, it would graciously retire, but no. Is = there any way to turn off this spam? - John ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C6B6F5.B2647A90 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable &l...

Event Procedure 07-02-07
Hi, I want to set [Event Procedure] as I have set so many Event but one of my form, shows me following message. Code is simple "DoCmd.OpenForm"My Form Name"" Where is the fault? When I click, messages comes. The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Procedure declaration does not match description of event or procedure having the same name. • The expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user- defined function, or [Event Procedure]. • There may have been an error evaluating the functi...

Mail Merge 06-17-07
Im creating a database for someone and i want to be able to do a mail merge. I have various tables with the information and can do a query to obtain a table of the relevant data, i have a word document with fields setup, such as client name etc. I want the database to have a form with a button that will create the letters and open word with the data filled in so the client can check the letters and just click print if they are ok. I cant seem to find much that shows how to best do this. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Im using access 2007 Thanks ...

Is there a style field in Word 2007?
In Word 2000, there was a field in one of the tool bars that showed the name of the style for the selected paragraph. Is there any way to get something like that back in Word 2007? I have the Quick Style Gallery, but it only shows a few styles. I'd like a field that shows the current style. You can add the Style box to the QAT from the Customize window. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Sesquipedalian Sam" <sesquipod@nowhere.noway> wrote in message news:a5riq5ho7ohierknkesjg0p0tici...

Excel 2007
I'm running into an issue with a range of cells in a spreadsheet where nothing shows up in the cell as I type. I can see the cursor moving to the right to show that I'm typing something, but the value that I'm typing doesn't actually appear in the cell until I hit <Enter>. I'm maintaining a large workbook with lots of formulas and named ranges. It was built by someone who no longer works here, so I'd rather not blow it away and start over. It appears it was built using Excel 2003. I'm now managing the file in Excel 2007. I've been adding records to t...

Office 2007 SB install failure
I have office 2007 Ultimate and cannot install the second disc. I keep getting the following failure: Failed to find the ASP.Net Version Registration with Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS). How do I get this service running properly? Was whatever version of Win updated first? "Michael Dobony" <survey@stopassaultnow.net> wrote in message news:1fqhtsx5cty07$.1jje4hsnlo59n$.dlg@40tude.net... > I have office 2007 Ultimate and cannot install the second disc. I keep > getting the following failure: > > Failed to find the ASP.Net Version ...

Format a date
I have a column of dates - 8 digit, no slashes - example: 02032003 02052003 etc. I want to have them display 02/03/2003. When I go to format-cell-date-3-14-1998, I either get ########### (and the column is plenty wide enought for the new date to fit) or I get some really bizarre numbers - 02012003 is converted to 9/3/7408. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks! Kathie, If you want to use date formatting, your dates must be Excel date-time serial numbers. Yours aren't. See www.cpearson.com for details on how that works. You can convert your "dates" to real XL dates with...

sync issues problem outlook 2007
Running exchange 2007. In outlook 2007 I am receiving this in my sync issues folder. It doesn't appear to be the case for everyone. Microsoft Exchange offline address book 15:07:16 Not downloading Offline address book files. A server (URL) could not be located. 15:07:16 0X8004010F Hi, I have the same Problem and need an urgent help bacause this is affecting the Calender too. -- Suhail A. Sallam Head of Quality Division. Integrated Solutions Dept. Applied Computer Services Co. (HASIB) "Mark" wrote: > Running exchange 2007. In outlook 2007 I am receiving th...

windows 7 and outlook 2007 12-09-09
Ever since I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7x64, my Outlook 2007 no longer works. The settings are correct, as confirmed by Comcast, and the error message is "cannot find named server..." Anyone run into this issue, I tried Comcast and they confirmed my settings and said it's a software issue? ...