Text import - date format

Hi
I have a text file which I import into Access table using transfertext method.
everything is okay except few date columns are in ddmmyyyy format

In some of the columns I have a date in the follwoing format ddmmmyyyy (i.e
13Oct2007) - without any slash or hyphen.  How can I get this in proper data
format 10/13/2008 (mm/dd/yyyy) either at the time of importing or after
importing get this proper date in a different column.

Aslo, I have some dollar amount columns and signage (negative or positve) is
given in a separate column.  So all the dollar amounts are abosolute value.
Based on the signage, I have to multiply by -1 if negative.  I don't think
this can be done at the time of importing (using transfer text).  How can I
update the dollar amount in a new column with the signage?

Thanks
Mohan

It is not possible to handle inconsistent formatting when using the standard
transfer methods.  You would need to write custom VBA code.  After you
import the data, add two new columns to the table, one defined as date and
the other defined as currency.  Create an update query to copy the string
values to the new fields.

cDate(Left(indate,2) & "/" & Mid(indate,3,3) & "/" & Right(indate,4)) as
FormattedDate

IIf(sign = "-", inAmt * -1, inAmt) As SignedAmt

"Mohan" <Mohan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have a text file which I import into Access table using transfertext
> method.
> everything is okay except few date columns are in ddmmyyyy format
>
> In some of the columns I have a date in the follwoing format ddmmmyyyy
> (i.e
> 13Oct2007) - without any slash or hyphen.  How can I get this in proper
> data
> format 10/13/2008 (mm/dd/yyyy) either at the time of importing or after
> importing get this proper date in a different column.
>
> Aslo, I have some dollar amount columns and signage (negative or positve)
> is
> given in a separate column.  So all the dollar amounts are abosolute
> value.
> Based on the signage, I have to multiply by -1 if negative.  I don't think
> this can be done at the time of importing (using transfer text).  How can
> update the dollar amount in a new column with the signage?
>
> Thanks
> Mohan

0
Pat

Paragraph formating jumps to defaults.
Hi, We are using Office/Outlook 2007 We have an email signature script that is run when users login, it´s working ok except for two things; If the default paragraph settings in Word 2007 for a user matches those in the signature script, the signature will use the "Base defaults" of Word 2007, that is SpaceAfter = 10 and LineSpacing = "Multiple" with a value of 1,15. So if I change the script to use SpaceAfter=0 and the user has set his/her Word 2007 to use SpaceAfter=0, the result will be SpaceAfter=10. If the script is set to SpaceAfter=0 and the us...

converting text to a formula
is it possible to convert a text string to a formula? I have built a series of cells using CONCATENATE to produce a text string for a vlookup formula - is there a way to now use this text as a working VLOOKUP formula? Thanks. West. -- West ------------------------------------------------------------------------ West's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16123 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=277050 West Wrote: > is it possible to convert a text string to a formula? > > I have built a series of cells u...

if cell is text move left one column

Where is the lasso feature in 2008? (was in formatting palette in 2004)

Date display in Excel

Formatting a subtotal line with a macro

formatting auto replies
Does anyone know of a method that allows outlook 2k2 to format automatic replies regardless of the format of the original message? I setup this automatic response rule that replies with a template, but problem is, when replying to http clients (hotmail or yahoo), the message at the receiver's end has words totally misplaced, all over the page. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ...

C# Adding Days to a Date
Hello, I have 2 objects: objContract.activeon and objContract.expireson. I am trying to add 364 days to objContract.activeon and assign it to the value of objContractexpireson. ---------------------------------------------------------- // Contract Start Date DateTime dt = DateTime.Now; objContract.activeon = new CrmDateTime(); int iFound = 0; string sTemp = ""; if (objAccount.paymenttermscode.Value == 1) // due on receipt - use Todays Date { objContract.activeon = objInvoice.CFDinvoicedate; } else // ...

Separating Date and Time in a cell

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

pulling certain characters from a string of text
I need to look up "certain critera" within a string of characters, then return that "certain criterea" to a new column. Some examples of a strings of characters may look like these: K5J091509001 Sample PO#S881009 K55sample PO CarrieRJR TJ5 My "Certain Critera" I have listed on another sheet, named "REP ID" K5J S88 K55 RJR TJ5 How do I pull out the 3 characters of "Certain Criterea" from the string of text and copy or enter it into a new column? Hi, =left(a1,3) "SaraMack" wrote: > I need to look up "c...

can I snap wrap points to a text box

Format for credit card numbers

default text height comment
Is there a way to set the default text height for a new comment? Thanks mark (I've looked through help but can't find it if it's in there.) I assume you mean the font size? There is no text height available in Excel. A comment has a shape property and that is what you can use to change the font size. They didn't make it easy ... Range("D4").Comment.Shape.TextFrame.Characters.Font.Size = 12 -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware (free and commercial excel programs) "mp" <nospam@Thanks.com> wrote in message...

Varying format
Is there any way to format a cell differently depending on the number of decimal places typed in? What I need is a minimum of 2dp but 3 if the typed entry matches. eg 1.2 appears as 1.20 and 1.234 appears as typed. TIA Ian Hi! Try formatting the cell with a custom number format such as 0.00## Al -- Alf ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AlfD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27494 "AlfD" <AlfD.1f5q6o@excelforum-nospam.c...

date function #3

Removing spaces from text #4
I'm in excel and i have a bunch of text data that has an extra space at the end of the text on the right hand side for each cell. Is there any easy way to remove this space? Use the TRIM() function. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "lj" <lj@spu.edu> wrote in message news:1144876429.220961.309040@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I'm in excel and i have a bunch of text data that has an extra space at > the end of the text on the right hand side for each cell. Is there any > easy way to remove this space? > I tried using that function but the results st...

Install that important pack from the Microsoft Corp.
--xzkkhdmcbxymiaud Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="vaccmkjzdr"; type="multipart/alternative" --vaccmkjzdr Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ggmepcujya" --ggmepcujya Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft User this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help maintain the security of your computer from these vulnera...

Time Format Question
Hello, I currently have time entered like this: 173517 90207 I need to look like this: 5:35 p.m. 9:02 a.m. I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so far. Thank you. With your values in column AA, try: =TIME(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-4),LEFT(RIGHT(A1,4),2),RIGHT(A1,2)) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "Toria" wrote: > Hello, > I currently have time entered like this: > 173517 > 90207 > > I need to look like this: > 5:35 p.m. > 9:02 a.m. > > I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so fa...