text box filter by form

For some reason that I just can't explain, a text box on a form associated
with a single primary key field behaves unexpectedly when I do a
filter-by-form.  Instead of listing all of the records from the source table
as choices in combo box mode, I only see "Is Null" and "Is Not Null" as
choices.

I have an older form from another database that behaves as I hoped this one
would, yet there seems to be no property differences between the two text
boxes.  Can anybody explain what I'm missing please?  Having "Is Null" and
"Is Not Null" as filter-by-form choices just doesn't cut it!

Thanks!!!

0
annie

annie wrote:
> For some reason that I just can't explain, a text box on a form
> associated with a single primary key field behaves unexpectedly when
> I do a filter-by-form.  Instead of listing all of the records from
> the source table as choices in combo box mode, I only see "Is Null"
> and "Is Not Null" as choices.
>
> I have an older form from another database that behaves as I hoped
> this one would, yet there seems to be no property differences between
> the two text boxes.  Can anybody explain what I'm missing please? Having "Is
> Null" and "Is Not Null" as filter-by-form choices just
> doesn't cut it!
> Thanks!!!

If there are too many unique values the list reverts Is Null and Is Not Null.  I
think the number is a setting in options.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick

Send data from one form to another
Hi All, I want to know if it,s possible to send data from 1 form to another totally unrelated form. The situation I have it one form is my MRP requirments. I want to open another form PURCHASE ORDER (PO). I was wanting to add a button to the MRP form that would send the data to the PO form. The MRP form may change to multiple items and then add these different items to the same PO. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could do this or if it can even be done. -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.as...

Starting with no records for a filter
Hi, i have a subform that i filter based on some combo boxes at the top of the main form that the user can type into. i have a search method that is called using the following: call searchMethod(Nz(box1.value, ""), Nz(boz2.value,"") , ..... ) this search method then builds up an sql string to filter the records. this works well. when i initially load the form up, i have a minor problem. all of the records are shown, because all of the box values are "", and so there is effectively no filter. i actually want the opposite of this. i.e if the user doesnt se...

Advanced Filter #4
I used advanced filter to combine duplicate rows into a unique row. However, the duplicate rows are still there. If you go to the Data menu and click Show All, the duplicate rows are displayed again. My question is, after filtering out the duplicate rows, how do I get rid of them, not just hide them? Greg, Use "copy to" instead of "filter in place." The copied-to is your unique list. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Greg" <gwikle@triad.rr.com> wrote in message news:OpvFHg...

Refreshing a field, not an entire form
Hello - I have a form with several required fields. I want to be able to refresh the data in one dropdown field on GotFocus, based on the data in another dropdown field. DD Field 1 is called categories Cat_ID Category 1 Accommodation 2 Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing 3 Animals and Pets DD Field 2 is called Sub-Categories CatID Sub Category 1 Bed and Breakfast 1 Camping and Caravans 1 Hostels the row source for the Sub-Categories field is: SELECT SubCategories.[Sub Category], SubCategories.CatID FROM Categories INNER JOIN SubCategories ON Categories.Cat_ID = SubCategories.CatID WHE...

Importing large tab-delimited text files?
I deal with very large data sets that are in tab-delimited .txt format. Many times, there are more than 256 columns of data. The Microsoft Knowledge Base had an article titled "Sample Macro to Import Data with More Than 256 Fields or Columns". This could do the trick for me if I could modify the macro to accomodate tab-delimited formats. Q1: Could anyone tell me how to modify the macro described above for tab-delimited .txt files? Q2: Does anyone know of a bulk file conversion utility that would change a tab-delimited text file to a CSV format? Thanks a bunch, Mark R-S Ma...

How do I print a text file ?
Hi, I am new to the group and wonder if any of you could offer any advice. I am trying to print a text file directly from my visual c++ application to the default printer without displaying the print dialog What is the best way of doing this ? If it is not possible to print directly from a text file, what commands to I use in between CDC::StartPage () To print the following Hello, my name is Joe Bloggs How are you I hope you can help with this problem etc..... CDC::EndPage () Thanks in advance Paul Paul, More info on printing than you can comfortably shake a stick at: http://www....

PROBLEM SIZING A TEXT BOX IN A FORM
Access 2007/vista I have a form in which I cannot adjust the text boxes INDIVIDUALLY. I click on a text box and it becomes surrounded by an orange border, indicating it is selected. But when I size it smaller or larger, all the other text boxes in the form move in tandem. I have not encountered this before and am baffled. Ideas? -- William ...

record and print amounts in multiple boxes on 1099 forms
We have had several clients that have been very disappointed to learn that they can only do 1 amount box per 1099. For instance, they might need an amount for rents and one for non-employee compensation. I think it would need to be settable at time of transaction entry. One of our clients said they could do that in Quickbooks and was very surprised to learn that GP won't do it. -- BrianB ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in th...

Problem in showing dialog boxes from a regular dll
Hi, I had a MFC application to be used as icon window (hidden). Also I had a regular MFC DLL exporting functions that will show MFC dll. All these functions are calling the AFX_MANAGE_STATE macro and PreTRansalte message is implemented. If the functions are called from any exe they work as expected even calling from my tray icon app is alright. Now I have merged some the resources (dialogs and string) of tray icon into my dll. Still tray icon works fine. There is another console application that calls my resouce dll to display dialog boxes as well and it also works fine. Now if my ...

selecting a query from a combo box
HELP! Need to design a DB for my boss and I am lost! I have a database which lists students who have went on exchange over the last 17 years to over 20 countries and numerous institutions.. I have set up 3 queries/reports using parameters so the user can enter: 1) the year 2) the country or 3) the insitution. Now the problem is the insitution query as the name of the institution can get spelt various ways so I would prefer the user to select the institution from the drop down box which they use to enter the data into the table under the field "institution". My f...

Auto Add Textboxes in Forms
In case of the Forms I use, it is Desirable to make them as compact as possible. Stripped of any unnecessary items. It seems usefull to make a form which ads a new textbox everytime something has been entered in the last one. My question: "What Code should I use to get my forms to add a new textbox everytime something has been entered in the last one?" Thanks in Advance! Don't do it. The maintenance makes it more effort than it is worth. Just set them all up in design, and maybe hide them until needed. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) ...

creating text box dynamically in ms access
can any body please tell me the code to create text boxes dynamically or else please give me the link abt that information Thanq See help on CreateControl In general, this is only useful if you are creating some kind of wizard form that creates whole forms for end users. You don't want to be creating text boxes on the fly for a normal form. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "ravindar thati" <ravindarjobs@gmail.com> wrote in mes...

check box
hi all i am a beginner. i've created four check boxes, how to validate that atleast one check box is selected using DDV function. thanks & regards mani ...

Drop Down box
How can I make a drop down box in a cell so to choose either of 3 selections? Does this require a macro or can it be done without? -- Thank you! Data Validation with List Option and in the source, either reference a range or type: Item1,Item2,Item3 http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/data-validation.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39A645AC-3754-444E-B376-E869C4D4A3E3@microsoft.com... > How can I make a drop down box in a cell so to choose either of 3 > selections? > Does this ...

SSL & Forms based auth messed up rich client version
Okay, I'm about ready to scrap OWA entirely. I had OWA up and running perfectly with no security, however external clients could not log into their mail boxes. They would get the login screen but their credentials were not being accepted even though I know they were typing them in correctly. So I decided to try SSL and Forms based Auth. Now when I try to login using IE6 sp1 to the premium client version about half the site loads, but stops, with a "loading" message where the viewing pane should be. I'm running exch 2003 on win2k3, for both the back end, and front end s...

Auto Filter
When using the filter only the first 1000 unique entries in a list will appear when you click on the arrow. I have more than 1000 unique entries [ie. company names] that I would like to see when filtering. Is there any way of being able to accomplish this? Hi you may have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits for a workaround Frank Gail wrote: > When using the filter only the first 1000 unique entries in a list > will appear when you click on the arrow. I have more than 1000 > unique entries [ie. company names] that I would like to see when > filterin...

text conversion to number on select query
Hi, In a Select Query I'm joining 2 tables by Item ID (unique value, similar to Social Security Number) but 1 table created by IT has Item ID as a "number" value and the other table has it as a "text" value. How can I in a Select Query, create a formula that can either have the text as a number value and vice versa so i can link the 2 without getting "type mismatch in expression." I think I can use Cdbl Value or something like that in the formula but not sure. Thanks! "inspirz" wrote:subed going to jail > Hi, > ...

Can you change the way quick parts and/or auto text displays?
Is there a way to change the look of the drop down menu for quick parts and auto text so it does not take up so much space? Something like it looked in 2003? Assuming that you have discovered the building block organizer - see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Buiild_Employ_Custom_BB_Gallery.htm Like 2003 it ain't! -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<&...

Filtering Via Form, and then Export
Hi: I have a database 'query' that has about 200K rows of data. My user population, and any given time, is interested in working with (charting, excel'ing, powerpointing, etc) just a small subset of the data (for example, all rows of data for a given month, to work on month end reports (the file contains ~2 years of data). Each of these users sends me requests for excel files (sometimes access table data creation, as well) for their specific needs, based upon a fairly limited set of what I call requirements and/or filters. I envision a "form" that they could us...

adding Text to the beginning of a control source
I want to say ="HELP"&Format([Session Start Date 2],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID] I want the word HELP then the start date 2 and finally the ID ie: HELP2010:12430 How do I put the text at the beginning? Where are you putting this? In the Control Source of control on a form/report? Then it should work as posted provided that [Session Start Date 2] and [ID] are in the object's record source. In a query? Then you just need a field alias and drop the = sign; MyHelpText: "HELP" & Format([Session Start Date 2],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID] ...

Don't change text to numbers
I want to replace the character "-" into "." in cells formatted as text eg 0060-1003 must become 0060.1003 i already unchecked in error checking : numbers stored as text if i do it manually it is ok but because i want to do it by replace to . and then it becomes 601003 How can i prevent this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use a temporary "helper-column (a new inserted column)" let's say Column B: and in Cell B1 enter =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",".") where A1 has your 0060-1003. Copy B1 down, then Copy B:B to B:B & u...

split text in cell into 2
I am needing help with formula. I have a cell that takes values from several other cells to create one long line text (for a command used in other app). For ex: a1=jack b1=ran c1="There was a person named"&a1&"who was hungry and"&b1&" to Mcdonalds." This process works great except when the line is greater than 72. I need an if statment that says if c1 length is greater than 72 then to split / replace line AFTER name(a1). Where the split occurs a +, and carriage return needs to be added. So in the example above (pretend length will be over 72,...

Linking drop down boxes
I'm attempting to create a form where I have a number of columns of dro down boxes of lists. I have one column where I have created drop down boxes linked to a mai list. Each item of the main list has a separate "daughter" list. Each "daughter" list is different. In the form, I want the adjacent column related to the main list dro down choices to contain a drop down list of the relevant "daughter information only; in other words, when one item from the main list dro down box is selected, the choices in the adjacent drop down list mus relate to the selected main...

Charts: using a filtered list as a data range
Hello, I have a column of numbers, which I would like to use as the Y axis on a chart. I can get 5-15 numbers or rows (in the column) each day and I have 8 months of data. I would like to filter the column according time or have a drop down box to select month and change the chart axis to reflect only that month. The X axis only needs to increment for every Y value. If I have another column with incrementing numbers for each row for the X axis, this causes a problem when I want to select only a months data for the chart. Would appreciate any help or ideas. Thanks very much, David ...

Using COUNTIF to count explicit text that DOES NOT include other text
I have a column of text strings. The strings may contain "Before", "Before Before", "Before After", "After", "After After" and any possible mis-spelling of the above and of course blanks. I want to count the number of cells that contain the word "Before" and do not contain the word "After". I tried to be clever with COUNTIF as follows:- =COUNTIF(COUNTIF(A:A,"*Before*"),"<>*After*") and I've tried:- =COUNTIF(A:A,AND("*Before*",NOT("*After*"))) The first one wouldn't ...