Subforms, Continuous Forms, and Locking Columns oh my...?

Hi,

Ok, let me see if I can explain this...

We're moving from Excel to Access.

In Excel we could lock the first 5 columns in place.  Great.  In
Access the only way to lock columns is to use the datasheet view.  The
problem with that is the user can change the width of the fields;
also, I can't dynamically hide fields.

I also have a requirement to have custom field labels.  If I use the
datasheet view, I'll get the grey boxes with fieldnames.  I can blank
them all out (I'm willing to live with this), but I can't add a Form
Header to the datasheet view which allows me to have some field name
labels red (indicating mandatory).

So I thought of making 2 side-by-side continuous subforms.  The first
one would hold the 5 "always needed" fields, and the second one would
hold the other 15 (actually 75, with buttons that hide and unhide 15
at a time).  This was working pretty well until I realized that the
subforms didn't scroll together.

The next thought I've had, which I haven't attempted yet, is to hide
the scrollbars and use my own scrollbar to scroll them both at the
same time.  Not sure if this would work though.

HELP!...Does anybody know of a custom control, or ....

Thanks,
Bodi

0
BodiKlamph

It doesn't address all of the issues you've raised, but you may find
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa217449(office.11).aspx to be a
useful article.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

<BodiKlamph@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Ok, let me see if I can explain this...
>
> We're moving from Excel to Access.
>
> In Excel we could lock the first 5 columns in place.  Great.  In
> Access the only way to lock columns is to use the datasheet view.  The
> problem with that is the user can change the width of the fields;
> also, I can't dynamically hide fields.
>
> I also have a requirement to have custom field labels.  If I use the
> datasheet view, I'll get the grey boxes with fieldnames.  I can blank
> them all out (I'm willing to live with this), but I can't add a Form
> Header to the datasheet view which allows me to have some field name
> labels red (indicating mandatory).
>
> So I thought of making 2 side-by-side continuous subforms.  The first
> one would hold the 5 "always needed" fields, and the second one would
> hold the other 15 (actually 75, with buttons that hide and unhide 15
> at a time).  This was working pretty well until I realized that the
> subforms didn't scroll together.
>
> The next thought I've had, which I haven't attempted yet, is to hide
> the scrollbars and use my own scrollbar to scroll them both at the
> same time.  Not sure if this would work though.
>
> HELP!...Does anybody know of a custom control, or ....
>
> Thanks,
> Bodi

0
Douglas
11/12/2007 8:58:00 PM
I love you!!!  In a totally 0-to-1 kinda way, not a 1-to-1, lol.

On Nov 12, 3:58 pm, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
> It doesn't address all of the issues you've raised, but you may findhttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa217449(office.11).aspxto be a
> useful article.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> <BodiKla...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> > Ok, let me see if I can explain this...
>
> > We're moving from Excel to Access.
>
> > In Excel we could lock the first 5 columns in place.  Great.  In
> > Access the only way to lock columns is to use the datasheet view.  The
> > problem with that is the user can change the width of the fields;
> > also, I can't dynamically hide fields.
>
> > I also have a requirement to have custom field labels.  If I use the
> > datasheet view, I'll get the grey boxes with fieldnames.  I can blank
> > them all out (I'm willing to live with this), but I can't add a Form
> > Header to the datasheet view which allows me to have some field name
> > labels red (indicating mandatory).
>
> > So I thought of making 2 side-by-side continuous subforms.  The first
> > one would hold the 5 "always needed" fields, and the second one would
> > hold the other 15 (actually 75, with buttons that hide and unhide 15
> > at a time).  This was working pretty well until I realized that the
> > subforms didn't scroll together.
>
> > The next thought I've had, which I haven't attempted yet, is to hide
> > the scrollbars and use my own scrollbar to scroll them both at the
> > same time.  Not sure if this would work though.
>
> > HELP!...Does anybody know of a custom control, or ....
>
> > Thanks,
> > Bodi- Hide quoted text -

BodiKlamph

Column Reference to External Source As a Variable
Can anyone help me convert the column referenced in the formula below into a variable that the user can define? More specifically, I have several columns that I need to read from an external workbook (Short_Billy.xls). Each column to the right of column C represents an additional day out in a 14 day projection from today (whose data is held in column C). In cell I5 of my active workbook (Inventory.xls), I would like the user to be able to enter a value representing the number of days out they would like to see the projection for (0=today=Column C, 1=Tomorrow=Column D, etc.). In cell I6, I...

Text to columns

Column Headings #11
Can you add seperate column headings (A, B, C, ...) into one spreadsheet? I'm attempting to alter the column sizes half-way through the spreadsheet w/out affecting the upper column sizes... Coolumn width belongs to the entire column and cannot be altered in separate sections of that column. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:51:01 -0800, spencer4hire <spencer4hire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can you add seperate column headings (A, B, C, ...) into one spreadsheet? >I'm attempting to alter the column sizes half-way through the spreadsheet >w/ou...

Forms 07-27-07
Hi, A VB Code is used that has the following line: Me.Visible = False (Me refers to the forms names frmBirthsearch) After this line a second form (form2) is opned based on a query that reads two dates from the frmBirthsearch using the line code: DoCmd.OpenForm "frmBirthdates", acViewNormal at this point frmbearthsearh is hidden. What command shold I add after this in order to close the frmbirthsearch? ...

Additional lookup for contacts on opportunity form
Hi, I try to customise CRM 3.0 without any training - therefore a question for which I need some help. On the opportunity form exists a look-up (potentional customer) for contacts/accounts. I'd like to add an aditional one to the form (to replace the decision maker). I tryed to create a new field on the opportunity entity but there's no field-type "look-up". It's also not possible to create a new relationship to the contact entity (both system entity's). Does anybody of you know how I can do this? (if yes - please explain it more detailed...). Thanks Joerg Look...

Excel locking up
For some strange reason I open a spreadsheet and when I click in the cell, I cannot do anything else...as I move the mouse around the selected cells just increases wherever I move the mouse....no menu selections are available and I cannot even select the close box in the upper right..I have to right click in the bottom taskbar and select close.... when I reopen it allows me to access all the menus items until I click in a cell and it locks up again....HELP!! if I restart the computer it goes away, but then it happens again several days later Hi Mabe David's page will help http://...

Excel 2003 Copy/Paste filtered column
I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filtered column. It is not copying over the original filtered column but rather over cells that have been filtered out. The worksheet/cells are not protected. What could the problem be? Kind Regards Heather That's the way pasting works. It'll hit the visible and hidden cells. Heather wrote: > > I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, > changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filter...

how to automatically suppress space before after column break?
Having Spacing Before and After on some of the styles, I seem to be unable to have the space before at the beginning of a column automatically dismissed when applying a column break. I have tried a couple of options under compatibility, but to no avail. This in on Word 2003. The No HTML function + No Space Before after column break do not solve the problem. Can you help please? Tools | Options | Compatibility: Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break. If this isn't working, then check to make sure you don't have an empty paragraph before the first text pa...

matching columns of numbers

Subform question 04-09-10
I have a form (Form1) that contains a subform (Subform1). Within this subform I have a combo box which, depending on what is chosen, pops up another form (Popup1)for additional information. I need this additional information in the form that pops up to be 'linked' with the subform. The problem I am running into is that when the user enters information in Popup1, the table has not been populated witht he data that is in the subform so there is no record to 'link' to. What is the best way to force te esubform to pass its information to the table? Thanks i...

removing predefined locked fileds
do someone know by a chance how to remove predefined locked fileds from some forms (like address fileds in the Order form) ? On Feb 4, 1:05 am, "eliran" <eliran...@gmail.com> wrote: > do someone know by a chance how to remove predefined locked fields > from some forms (like address fields in the Order form) ? You can't remove, but can hide them using onLoad event script like this: crmForm.all.ordernumber_c.style.display="none"; crmForm.all.ordernumber_d.style.display="none"; If there are a lot of fields, that you want to hide, you can p...

Count the text in a column
I would like to count the text in a column then for it to add a figure in another cell if it meets the text criteria Thanks! Do you mean count the characters? If so =SUM(NOT(ISNUMBER(A1:A20))*LEN(A1:A20)) as an array formula (committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Peter Curtis" <PeterCurtis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94C093C4-38DC-4989-846A-9352F3298B7C@microsoft.com... > I would like to count the text in a column then for it to add a figure in > another cell if it meets the t...

forms and column lengths
Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the row above?? Hi there's n o bulit-in feature for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Blair" <Blair@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C1D2CAAD-C4E9-492A-ADF4-CBDB659514A3@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row > when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the > row > above?? ...

Enable/Disable a Form Control Based on Security Group Permissions
How do I enable or disable a control in a form based on a user’s security group membership? For example: If I have a checkbox on a form (call it box1), I want box1 to be enabled if the user who opened Access is a member of a security group called “Breaker Test Admin.” For members of any other group (except of course “Admins”), box1 should be disabled. Thank you, for your help! On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:57:13 GMT, "BenS" <u35527@uwe> wrote: >How do I enable or disable a control in a form based on a user�s security >group membership? For example: If I have a checkbox on a ...

Trying to Create a pop-up form
Due to size limitations on my main form, I am trying to create a form that, when I select a button, it pops up like a dialog box with the main form, Frm_Escheat, in the background I've created a qry which is the record source on my pop-up form. In the criteria of the query is: [Forms]![Frm_Escheat]![statecode] where [statecode] is the field from the Master Form. So, my "pop-up" form is activated when I select the button, but my problem is that it just goes to the pop-up form without the main form showing in the background. Thanks for your help. It would probably hel...

Auto Fill a Textbox in Form
What is the simplest way to auto fill a textbox (in a form) with the maximum values of more than one field in the last record entered, in the same table? Can the =DMax function be used for this? I have tried =DMax(“[field_1]”, “[field_2]”, “[field_3]” , “table_1”)+1, but this doesn’t work. Is something like this possible with two or more feilds with DMax? Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com See MinOfList() and MaxOfList() here: http://allenbrowne.com/func-09.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allen...

user forms #5
Hello, I have created a user form (click on New Employee). How do I get the information entered in to this form to appear in the correct columns in the Payroll data sheet? And how do I get the combo boxes to display the drop down information from the sheet called input. Regards Runner77 -- Runner77 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Runner77's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30388 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500502 ...

Selecting a column with an integer
Sub ColumnSelection() ' Selecting a column with an integer ' Please show me how to eliminate the use of Cells(1, 1) Dim r As Integer Dim c As String Dim numericcolumn As Integer Dim alphabetcolumn As String numericcolumn = 4 ' in practice 4 is the resultant of an equation alphabetcolumn = "=CHAR(" & numericcolumn + 64 & ")" Cells(1, 1) = alphabetcolumn ' I like to eliminate the use of Cells(1, 1) c = Cells(1, 1).Value ' I like to eliminate the use of Cells(1, 1) Cell...

Standby Continuous Replication (SCR)
Does anyone know if you can add the SCR server to either a CCR cluster or a stand alone Exchange 2007 server? Does it matter? ...

VBA project locked
Hi While importing the Calender package (Calendar80.Package) i got the following error "Package contains items that cannot be imported becuase their VBA project locked" Date Dialong , Microsoft Calender control 11.0 and Rm_Analysis Report were shown as locked How to resolve this ? ...