Subform question 04-09-10

I have a form (Form1) that contains a subform (Subform1).

Within this subform I have a combo box which, depending on what is chosen,
pops up another form (Popup1)for additional information.  I need this
additional information in the form that pops up to be 'linked' with the
subform.

The problem I am running into is that when the user enters information in
Popup1, the table has not been populated witht he data that is in the subform
so there is no record to 'link' to.  What is the best way to force te
esubform to pass its information to the table?

Thanks in advance

Chad

It all starts with the data ... and you're describing forms ...

Where are you keeping your data?  In the same Access file as the forms?  In
a "split" Access ("back-end") file?  In a SQL-Server database?

In the first two situations, I believe that as soon as you "dirty" the
subform record, you are writing to the table behind the subform.  Note that
this is based on two assumptions:  1) your subform is bound to an underlying
table/query;  2) the combobox that pops up the additional form is NOT the
first field used on the subform.

You haven't described your data and structure.  If you provide a bit more
specific description, folks here may be able to offer a bit more specific
suggestions.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Chad" <Chad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a form (Form1) that contains a subform (Subform1).
>
> Within this subform I have a combo box which, depending on what is chosen,
> pops up another form (Popup1)for additional information.  I need this
> additional information in the form that pops up to be 'linked' with the
> subform.
>
> The problem I am running into is that when the user enters information in
> Popup1, the table has not been populated witht he data that is in the
> subform
> so there is no record to 'link' to.  What is the best way to force te
> esubform to pass its information to the table?
>
> Thanks in advance

0
Jeff
4/9/2010 6:55:02 PM
On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 11:30:01 -0700, Chad <Chad@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>The problem I am running into is that when the user enters information in
>Popup1, the table has not been populated witht he data that is in the subform
>so there is no record to 'link' to.  What is the best way to force te
>esubform to pass its information to the table?

In the code which pops up the form, include the line

If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False

before the openform step.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

I have a form (Form1) which uses Table1 as its source.  Form1 contains a
subform (Subform1) which uses Table2 as its source.  The Subform is a single
form data entry form used to populate a table which has a one-to-many
relationship with the table that is source table of the main form (Form1)

Within this subform I have a combo box which, depending on what is chosen,
pops up another form (Popup1) for additional information.  This popup form
is unbound but will be used to populate a table (Table3)that has a one to
many relationship with the source table of Subform1 (Table2) through a query.

The problem I am running into is that when the user enters information in
Popup1, the Table2 has not been populated with he data that is in the subform
so there is no record to relate to when running the query to populate
Table3.  What is the best way to force the subform to pass its information to
the table?

Thanks again, I hope this is more clear.

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Chad
>
> It all starts with the data ... and you're describing forms ...
>
> Where are you keeping your data?  In the same Access file as the forms?  In
> a "split" Access ("back-end") file?  In a SQL-Server database?
>
> In the first two situations, I believe that as soon as you "dirty" the
> subform record, you are writing to the table behind the subform.  Note that
> this is based on two assumptions:  1) your subform is bound to an underlying
> table/query;  2) the combobox that pops up the additional form is NOT the
> first field used on the subform.
>
> You haven't described your data and structure.  If you provide a bit more
> specific description, folks here may be able to offer a bit more specific
> suggestions.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> --
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>
> "Chad" <Chad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a form (Form1) that contains a subform (Subform1).
> >
> > Within this subform I have a combo box which, depending on what is chosen,
> > pops up another form (Popup1)for additional information.  I need this
> > additional information in the form that pops up to be 'linked' with the
> > subform.
> >
> > The problem I am running into is that when the user enters information in
> > Popup1, the table has not been populated witht he data that is in the
> > subform
> > so there is no record to 'link' to.  What is the best way to force te
> > esubform to pass its information to the table?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>

> .

Chad

I believe John V's offered a way to ensure that the subform record is saved
before moving on to the pop-up form.

> [...]
>> guarantee as to suitability.
>>
>> You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
>> possible/necessary.
>>
>> "Chad" <Chad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a form (Form1) that contains a subform (Subform1).
>> >
>> > Within this subform I have a combo box which, depending on what is
>> > chosen,
>> > pops up another form (Popup1)for additional information.  I need this
>> > additional information in the form that pops up to be 'linked' with the
>> > subform.
>> >
>> > The problem I am running into is that when the user enters information
>> > in
>> > Popup1, the table has not been populated witht he data that is in the
>> > subform
>> > so there is no record to 'link' to.  What is the best way to force te
>> > esubform to pass its information to the table?

0
Jeff

Custom workflow activity question
Hi all, It seems to be impossible to use any custom entities / attributes in the custom workflow activities. Any suggestion how to accomplish this a simple way? Thanks in advance, Robert I have seen post somewhere about accessing custom entities , you need to google it. As well as custom attributes are concerned , you need to use dynamic entity for example accessing "new_link" which is custom attribute : DynamicEntity regardingAccount = (DynamicEntity)retrieved.BusinessEntity; if (regardingAccount.Properties.Contains("new_link")) { // do somethi...

Macro Help 05-20-10
how do i assign a value of a cell to a variable in a macro This sets the variable: Sub dural() Dim r As Range, v As Variant Set r = Range("A1") v = r.Value End Sub to set the cell, reverse the equation. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "BigO" wrote: > how do i assign a value of a cell to a variable in a macro ...

Outlook 2007 Address Book 01-21-10
I've just installed Outlook 2007 and it's imported my address book from Outlook 2003 as a single list of contacts/addresses with 150 names! This is too unweildy of course, so I want to divide these up into about 6 or 8 separate groups according to the contact nature. The help advice online does give methods of creating sub-folders but I can't get either of them to work - would appreciate any workarounds please. -- Chris 1-9 (UK) "Chris 1-9" <Chris19@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50F25761-01EC-4EE5-A440-980E48511A8F@microsof...

Report writer function/calculated field question
I have a string field that consists of a number followed by a decimal followed by 5 zeroes. The number is always a whole number so I want to remove the decimal and the 5 zeroes. However, since the field is a string, I'm struggling to find a way to do that. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks. Zack I would use the RW_Strip user defined function. This function will return the value of the string with all occurrences of the specified characters stripped out. So you want to strip out .00000 and retrieve the remaining value? You would pass in the string field and then the characters y...

eConnect 10.0 and BizTalk 2006R2
I successfully installed BizTalk 2006R2 on W2K3SP2 and downloaded eConnect 10.0 from Customersource (the download is dated 10/17/07 I believe). However despite the documentation stating that there was an adapter for Biztalk, I did not see any option to install the BizTalk adapter when I installed the SDK. Does eConnect 10.0 even recognize BizTalk 2006 R2? ...

output question
#define the properties to be returned ($colPropList is an array) $colProplist = "name","member" foreach ($i in $colPropList) { $Searcher.PropertiesToLoad.Add($i) } Above is the code to set the properties for a directory search but it produces a 0 1 in the outputs. Any one happen to have experienced this and how to get rid of the 0 1 output ? Thanks Redirect result of the method to $null { $Searcher.PropertiesToLoad.Add($i) > $null } -Paul "Chris" wrote: > #define the properties to be returned ($colPropList is an array) > $col...

ExBPA config question
Can I modify the XML config file to set custom rules that fit my needs? ...

Table and query question
I would like to create a table that will relate an account to its parent(s). 1 account can have multiple parents, and 1 parent can have multiple accounts. And, a parent can have a master parent. For ex: Account 1 can have Parent 1. Account 2 can have Parent 1 and Parent 2. Parent 1 can have Parent 2. And, the queries that I will perform will request these data: 1. give me all parents of Account 1. The query should return Parent 1 and Parent 2 (because Parent 2 is the parent of Parent 1) 2. give me all parents of Account 2. The query should return Parent 1 and Parent 2 3. give...

Quick Question on Categories
An anally organized person just realized this question... ;-) Maybe someone can help me out with your solution to the problem? I'd think that going to /see/ movies is considered different from buying them on video. So, when I go see a movie, is it considered Movies & Video, or on Cultural Events? Seeing a movie is questionable as a cultural event... Thanks, Kenneth "Kenneth Pardue" <kennethNOSPAM@pardue.com> wrote in message news:vnprkfirgng4de@corp.supernews.com... > An anally organized person just realized this question... ;-) > > Maybe someone can he...

Formatting hyperlinks in an Excel cell 02-16-10
Two of the columns in a spreadsheet (Excel 2003) that I use record email and web addresses. All of them appear as hyperlinks i.e. blue and underlined but some occasionally seem to lose their hyperlink properties. This means that when one hovers over them, the cursor stays as the usual Excel cross rather than changing to the hand/finger symbol. Also, clicking on the former does not launch the browser. Is there any way to ensure they are formatted, and work, as hyperlinks please? TIA V ...

Test #10
Testing Jane And that's exactly what Microsoft.test is for ;-) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Jane" <donnyortiz@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23JQlXUO%23EHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Testing > > Nick Hodge wrote... >And that's exactly what Microsoft.test is for ;-) .... Are you assuming the OP's ISP carries microsoft.test? oops sorry, thanks for the info =) <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message news:1105567324.493817.210750@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com......

absolutely classic DLL question
Hello to all. Please, let some professional from people here guide me for creating a DLL library. I have some classes, some files, some functions, etc. DLL will be built without any guidance. Still... I need help. I need after this to create one .LIB which actually does not "enter" statically in target out file, but just loads this .DLL. In this manner is Windows Sockets 2 - using ws2_32.lib, actually linked out file to load/use ws2_32.dll. Funny, but I dont know how this must be done. Please, I need short, concrete and precise guidance. Will be very grateful for your help. Than...

Basic INDEX(MATCH()) Question:
I am currently using an INDEX() function to do a basic data retrieval by specifying both the collumn and rows. INDEX(p1rn1,1,18) p1rn1 is C2:AE28 the 1,18 retrieves what is in cell T3 in cell Q:S3 (Cells Q3 -> S3 are merged) is the text string "Weap Dam Rec" Is it possible to use INDEX(p1rn1,MATCH("Weap Dam Rec",?,?),?) to find the data in T3, if so, what is the wording of the function? If INDEX() can't do it, is there anyhting that can? for the billionth time Thanks Adam Hi! > INDEX(p1rn1,1,18) > > p1rn1 is C2:AE28 > > the 1,18 retrieves ...

newbie question re: learning curve
I am a complete newbie to Publisher. I am slightly familiar with Corel Draw and InDesign, but my new job only offers Publisher as a software. I am a quick learner, but I'd like to know a couple things: Can I import InDesign files? How similar to the other Microsft products is the interface? Can I make complex designs with Publisher (most will be simple). Thank you. Libbi -- Triple Double ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Triple Double's Profile: http://nettechguide.com/forums/member.php?u=599 View this thread: http://nettechguide.com/fo...

ISA 2004 Question
I have had ISA 2004 installed on my SBS 2003 server every since it was put into service and it has never allowed LAN workstations to access the Internet without having proxy settings in the web browser. I had to do a restore recently and after that was completed I noticed that if I unchecked the use proxy check mark in my browser I could still access Internet pages and of course my restricted web page settings were being ignored because of not using the server proxy. The proxy is working because when I have the proxy in the browser check to use it does block the web pages in my &...

Taskbar Outlook Question
I have an Outlook icon next to the clock right hand lower corner. How do I delete it? I already have one in my taskbar. Thanks, david You can't but you can customize you're Notification Area to hide it or rightclick it and choose "Hide when minimized" to remove it from the Taskbar. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message news:jdeRd.50484$Th1.39608@bgtnsc04-ne...

POP3 Internet Mail Question
I am running 1 windows 2003 server with Exchange 2003 on it. This server hosts our internal & external email for our domain name xxx.com However we have another domain name (xxy.com) that we use for internet mail that is hosted by another provider. We would like to bring this in-house and host it on our exchange server. Is there a way to configure the exchange server to host internet mail (Pop3 accounts) with a different domain name? What is the best way to set this up? thanks =?Utf-8?B?Z2tyYXNub2Zm?= <gkras19@aol.com> wrote in news:7C1FB197-B7A9-4A9E-A2D1-933577EFF0B0@micr...

Data from Form to Subform to Table
I have a main form for material inspection, and another form for the inpsection results, and tables for each that store the data. For example, you have to enter the PO# and P/N on the main form, as well as some other info, then you click to open up the inspection results form in datasheet view. The inpsection results form shows the PO# and P/N that you entered on the main form, but it wont store the info in the table for the inspection results. Can someone please help me figure out how to get the info to store in the inspection results table as well as the material inspection tab...

Type mismatch 04-02-10
Can anyone help? I am getting "Type mismatch (error 13)" when I try to call a method. The method is on a class module. The call is from a userform sub. The call: Dim DataSource as Leaf ... Set DataSource = new Leaf .... various properties of DataSource are used successfully ... .... then the problem call ... DataSource.Insert 1,"^" <<. msg occurs trying to execute this line .... The method: In class module "Leaf" ... Public Sub Insert (ipOrdinal, ipSubValue) Dim Ordinal Dim SubValue .... various statements .... call to another met...

Screen Redraws every 10 seconds. Any suggestions?
My suggestion, go to the manufacturer's web site of your video/graphics card and look around for an updated driver. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:265A9524-57F1-4422-B032-534150831760@microsoft.com... > I have the latest video drivers and a 128 meg Nvidia Geforce 6800. My PC has 2 gigs of RAM, and XP pro has all the latest updates. This is a new problem as I have used Pub for years without issues. The problem also happens in ...

Creating an index 04-27-10
-- I have been attempting to create an index using Microsoft Word 2007. I have a document that includes 5 separate Word files (chapters 1-5). Total pages of these 5 chapters is close to 800. Is there a way to create an index that will pull automarked entries from each file and allow me to incorporate into a separate index document, including updating as needed (much like the automated TOC)? Any assistance is much appreciated. VLBarnes You can do this with an RD field. See “Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents” at http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0...

a question and a question

Mailbox Manager questions
Hello, We are running Exchange 2003, sp1. Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to specificy groups/users for the mailbox management selection. When I get into the window to select users, it doesn't select them the way I'm asking. i.e. I try and select a security group and it selects a few users. I also can't seem to select multiple users correctly. Lastly, we would like to archive old Calendar items. The problem seems to be that if we archive recurring meetings that they will get deleted on future items. Thanks, Sun ...

Urgent Question Please Help: Credit Card Setup Problem
We have an urgent question regarding credit card setup/cash receipts/bank rec We understand that in Great Plains when setting up a Credit Card to be used by a Customer, it must be setup as a "Bank Card", not a "Charge Card", in order for the transaction to hit Bank Rec. However, we mistakenly setup all the Credit Cards as "Charge Cards", therefore after posting Credit Card Cash Receipt transactions in Receivables, the transaction does not appear in Bank Rec for us to perform Bank Deposits. Please Please Help!!! Is there any way to "fix" those pos...

So close and yet so far (IF ISNA question)
I'm using the following formula =INDEX(QB6!$A:$A,MATCH($B31,QB6!$B:$B,0)) This generally works, but occasionally it doesn't find a match on page QB6, in which case I get the #N/A! error. Instead of getting that error, I would like to force a value into that cell (a defined number). I'm trying to tweak it using the IF ISNA commands but just can't seem to get it right. Thanks in advance Try this: =IF(ISERROR(INDEX(QB6!$A:$A,MATCH($B31,QB6!$B:$B,0)))=TRUE,"THERE IS AN ERROR",INDEX(QB6!$A:$A,MATCH($B31,QB6!$B:$B,0))) You can replace the "There is an error...