subform not refreshing

Hi there, I have a main form with a subform embedded to be able to scroll
through a list of records.  There is no linking field between the two.  The
subform displays all the records properly.  One of the fields in the subform
is a checkbox to 'close' the record indicating that the info is no longer
current and shouldn't be displayed.  This works fine.  I should also mention
that the subform is based on a query.
I have a button on the main form which opens another modal form based on the
same query as the subform that will let me uncheck the checkbox in case the
record was 'closed' by accident and is actually still current.  This works
also, when I check record A then close and reopen the main form record A is
gone.  If I open the modal form, uncheck the appropriate box, close and
reopen the main form, record A is back.
My question is "Is it possible to have the main form, and by extension, the
subform reload so that record A reappears without having to close and reopen
the main form?"
I've tried setting the focus to the form/subform and running the requery
method with no success.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Michael

mav51

You can requery the subform by using this syntax-

If the code is on the main form:

Me.YourSubformContainerName.Form.Requery

If the code is on another form:

Forms!YourSubformContainerName.Form.Requery

Where YourSubformContainerName is the name of the container control that
houses the subform on the main form and not the subform name (unless it is
the exact same name as the container, which they can be the same but aren't
necessarily so).
--
Bob Larson
Access World Forums Super Moderator

"mav51 via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> Hi there, I have a main form with a subform embedded to be able to scroll
> through a list of records.  There is no linking field between the two.  The
> subform displays all the records properly.  One of the fields in the subform
> is a checkbox to 'close' the record indicating that the info is no longer
> current and shouldn't be displayed.  This works fine.  I should also mention
> that the subform is based on a query.
> I have a button on the main form which opens another modal form based on the
> same query as the subform that will let me uncheck the checkbox in case the
> record was 'closed' by accident and is actually still current.  This works
> also, when I check record A then close and reopen the main form record A is
> gone.  If I open the modal form, uncheck the appropriate box, close and
> reopen the main form, record A is back.
> My question is "Is it possible to have the main form, and by extension, the
> subform reload so that record A reappears without having to close and reopen
> the main form?"
> I've tried setting the focus to the form/subform and running the requery
> method with no success.
>
> Any help is appreciated, thanks!
> Michael

That did the trick, thanks!

boblarson wrote:
>You can requery the subform by using this syntax-
>
>If the code is on the main form:
>
>Me.YourSubformContainerName.Form.Requery
>
>If the code is on another form:
>
>Forms!YourSubformContainerName.Form.Requery
>
>Where YourSubformContainerName is the name of the container control that
>houses the subform on the main form and not the subform name (unless it is
>the exact same name as the container, which they can be the same but aren't
>necessarily so).
>> Hi there, I have a main form with a subform embedded to be able to scroll
>> through a list of records.  There is no linking field between the two.  The
>[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
>> Any help is appreciated, thanks!
>> Michael

mav51

formula for subform nested into a subform
Hello!!!,,,I need an urgent help in a formula. I have the tables: [Ship] [Invoice] [Payments] IdShip (keyfield) ----------------> IdShip IdInvoice DateShipped IdInvoice (keyfield) ---------> AmountPaid Port AmountInvoiced DatePaid Customer DateInv I have a form A, which contains a key field &quo...

Acc2002 - Form/subform
I have a main form with a combo box and a subform. The combo box contains a list of 15 tables. I want to be able to select a table from the combo box, and then have the table show in the subform, so I can then edit the table. Since each table contains different fields, does that mean I need to create a separate form for each of the 15 tables? Is there a way around this? I tried setting the RecordSource dynamically (in the combo box AfterUpdate event), but I'm not sure how to handle the controls on the subform, since the controls will be different for each table. Any ideas would be much...

Disable automatic refresh
I have checked the option to always enable automatic refresh for an Excel file that has links to an Access database. How can I reverse this so I once again get the choice to enable or disable. Thanks in anticipation Hi Kris, Uncheck 'Update remote references' under Tools|Options|Calculation. If you don't want to be prompted to update links, uncheck 'Ask to update automatic links' under Tools|Options|Edit Finally, if you want to force calculation to 'Manual', look under Tools|Options|Calculation. Cheers "Kris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.co...

Glue/Lock cells to external data before refresh
I have a spreadsheet with a table of data which has been imported from an Access Database. If new records have been added on the database, then when I refresh the data in Excel it will add these new lines onto the spreadsheet. I need to be able to put certain comments in my spreadsheet against lines of data from the database. However, if new lines are inserted when I refresh the data, the comments can end up being next to the wrong record. Is there any way to keep my lines of comments attached to a particular record of external data, so they will move when the record does? ...

I am working in MS access 2007 , I have a subform contains two fields
I am working in MS access 2007 , I have a subform contains two fields customer name (type text) and customer selected (type yes/no) , one of these customer has a value 'ALL' , the question is : is there a way when i click in the customer selected field that has the customer name 'ALL' , to select all the records of the customer (mean add tic in all customer selected) ? any one could tell me how to do that ? ...

Query Refresh-Enable Automatic Refresh Dialogue Box
I continually click the Enable Automatic Refresh button on the Query Refresh dialogue box so why does it continue to appear for the same worksheet? ...

Use Refresh/Requery
I have a subform that I use to update information - for example an end date - a summary of which transactions are accessed by clicking a control button opening another form and subform. I want the user to be able to click the control button and see the summary form with the information updated without first having to click out of the record. I have tried using refresh and requery in all sorts of locations but to no avail. The user has to click out of the record and then click on the control button to see the other form/subform displayed correctly. Any ideas, anyone? grahamswindon@talktalk...

how to key in details into subform
hi, Im currently doing up a database for a tuition centre. The problem now is, I have to add students into the system. I have a form already Currently, the form has the following fields: First Name Last Name Contacts Level (grade 9,10,11,12) Subject 1 (english, maths, science) Subject 2 Subject 3 In my subform, I actually want to add in the classcode which is related to my other tables eg. English Grade 9 = 9E-101 (where 101 is the teacher's ID) however, I do not know how to key it into the subform. is there any formula i can use? pls do get back to me soon as this is ra...

Refresh a read only file
Is there a way to refresh the data in a "read-only" file without closin and reopening the file, each time someone else makes a change to th file and saves it? I want to use this option when I did not make an changes to the worksheet. Sometimes when I make changes to a "read-only" and when the fil becomes available for read-write access, it asks whether to save th file under a different name or discard changes. Sometimes both th options crash Excel. How can I see what other users changed to th file since the last time I viewed the file? Is it possible? Thanks for you...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Excel Report Data Refresh
We recently rolled out a new PC for a user and now when they try to refresh various CRM based Excel reports the data connection cannot be established. Is there an additional installation from CRM for this automatic update to work on the new PC? ...

Make subforms invisible/visible
Can I code an event procedure to make a subform visible or not visible? For example, if a user clicks a button on the main form the subform appears/disappears? I don't know how to do this aside from manually using the property box for the subform control. A SubFormControl has a Visible property. The click event of your commabd button on the Main form would be: Me.SubFormControl.Visible = Not Me. SubFormControl.Visible ...to make the SubForm toggle the visibility on and off. cuyeda wrote: >Can I code an event procedure to make a subform visible or not visible? For >example,...

Refresh All with parameter queries
Hi! I have a lovely file with numerous worksheets and five parameter queries. The queries use different tables and fields, but they all have the same parameter criteria, Month and Year. When I hit "refresh all", I have to enter the parameters five times. Is there a way to only enter them once? The month and year exist on the "summary" sheet in cells M1 and N1 -- is it possible to run the queries with a macro by referencing these cells? Thanks! ...

Blank Subform 01-24-08
Because of the rather strange design specs I have been given, the same subform appears four times on a single form. Each instance of the subform appears on a different tab of a tab control and is linked to a different master field on the primary form. Put another way, there are four subforms each with the same Source Object. Three subforms work fine, each linking the child field (QuoteID) with a different master field. The fourth does not - a white space appears where the subform should be. Given that the underlying subform (the Source Object) is the identical form in all four instanc...

Refresh Global Address Book
I have a user that had a spelling error in their name - changed a capital to a small case - no email address change though. I have made the change in AD a few days ago, but the name still appears in the GAL incorrectly. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks! What exactly did you change, and how did you change it? IIRC, the GAL uses the "Name" attribute in AD. If you go into ADUC, does the name "display" incorrectly in there? When you want to make changes like this, the best way to do it is to right-click on the user, then choose Rename. Once you hit Enter after re...

Excel 2007: "Reference is not valid" when refreshing pivot table
Hi all I have a pivot table that works fine in Excel 2003. I've created an Excel 2007 version and some code fails because (in VBA) "The PivotTable report was saved without the underlying data". Yet, when I manually try to refresh the pivot table, I get a message saying "Reference is not valid". I've had a look at the source data, but there doesn't appear to be any issues with that. Can anyone suggest what the error might be? BTW, I'm not sure if I've cross-posted correctly (excel.misc & excel.programming), so apologies if this causes...

Referencing subform
Hey there, I need to reference my subform in a module I have that is creating an audit trail. The name of the subform is getting passed in through a function. The name of the subform is BinderSub and it gets passed to the function in a string called FormName. When I try and start my For loop for the audit trail, like so: For Each C In Forms(FormName).Controls It errors on this as it says it can't find the form BinderSub referred in a macro expression or VB Code. Can anyone help me reference this properly without actually putting the name of the form!subformname because I need t...

Will not go to New Record in a subform.
I am 'controlling' a form (Form_Cust) via code in another form (Form_Control) and want to go to a new record in a subform (Form_Cust_Subform) in Form_Cust. I use the code: Forms("Form_Cust")("Form_Cust_Subform").SetFocus DoCmd.GoToRecord , "Form_Cust_Subform", acNewRec but the error says "the object is not open". I have tried many combinations of the DoCMd eg DoCmd.GoToRecord , "Forms('Form_Cust')('Form_Cust_Subform')", acNewRec inserted 'acDataForm' in the appropriate spot etc NO WAY will it happen! -- Rega...

Subform
I'm having a problem loading data in a subform. The fields in the subform and main form are not bound. I'm using MSAccess 2007 I put VBA code in the "On Load" event of the subform to get records from a table and populate the fields on the subform after the main form is opened from a previous form but I'm getting the message: " MSAccess can't find the form referenced in the VBA code" (referring to the subform, mysubform) . As a test, I put the code to populate the subform (including, as the first line of the code, "DoCmd...

Using an option group to display a subform
Is it possible to use an option group to display a subform. I am looking to show subform1 if option one is selected and subform two if option two is selected. Is this possible? Thanks -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Jason" wrote: > Is it possible to use an option group to display a subform. I am looking to > show subform1 if option one is selected and subform two if option two is > selected. Is this possible? Thanks Yes it is. Use the option group's After Update event to make the source object of the subform control the form you selected. If Me.My...

Search not filter and display results in subform.
Hi, I have a small split DB BE and FE. I need to implement a search form where the results shows in a subform. I tried this http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html which is good but because there are about 2000 records and the BE is in a share drive it takes a while for the subform to load to show all records before I can filter. what I need is a "on the fly" filtering or search. I think I have to use SQL and build a query on the fly or is there a faster way? any ideas will be a appreciated. thanks! ...

Controlling fields in continous subforms (hunting for ideas)
Hi all, Just would like some of your views as to how to go about solving a problem. I have two tables (A and B) that are linked through a form to create records in a link table (C). Lets say that (A) represents bedrooms and (B) represents tenants. Obviously a tenant could stay in different rooms at different times, and obviously a room can have different tenants at each time. So (C) tracks instances where a tenant stays in a given room. Table (C) also contains the start dates and end dates of that instance of stay. All straightforward so far… Now, (C) manifests itself in a...

Control a form with a subform?
Hi All, In the past, I[ve done a lot of forms where the form's query filtered on a listbox on the form. Select the record of interest from the listbox, requery the form from the listbox's click event, and get access to the records detail info in the form. Is there a simple way to do this using a subform instead of a listbox? I've mocked it up, but find that when I click a record in the subform and requery the main form, the subform also requeries, and I lose the record I was at in the first place. I can save the record ID, then scroll the subform backl to it ...

Dynamically Changing SubForm Columns
I am pretty new to Access, so pardon my inexperience. I have an interesting problem. I am trying to track a number of figures, let's call them X's, by date, with one value for each date (call the dates 'Y'). I would like to have a subform that shows in a datasheet view the X's as rows and the Y's (dates) as columns. I've created a crosstab query that shows the information, but the problem I am having is that every day I use the table I have a new date, and therefore a new column. Since I've set up the subform with only the dates through yesterday as colum...

PLS HELP~! Simple Question: Master & Child Link without subform
Good day everyone. I appreciate any suggestion by all of you. 1st Is possible have Master & Child Link function without adding any subform? If yes, how? Eg: When I selected a customer "ABC Inc" from a combolist (or many more than 1 field; eg this month,sales man A and etc), all transaction record from table tbltransaction will show me all transactions in a ~*SPLITFORM*~ according what i selected, when I adding new record in the form the table tbltransaction will automatic adding new record including all selection(customer ABC Inc,sales man A and etc) I make whi...

Excel
We're using Outlook 2003 / Excel. The refresh data option (DATA / Refresh Data) use to work fine on my Excel documents. All of a sudden the field is now greyed out, and thus can't be selected... Anyone know why, or how to correct this? ....ok, I've figured it out. If a cell with numbers/figures is NOT selected, then the Refresh Data button will be greyed out. Once the cell is selected, all is ok! "Ivan T. Williams" <itw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23C2EDJlLGHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > We're using Outlook 2003 / Excel. Th...