Subform doesn't work once added to main form

Hi,

I've been searching around looking for some help and can't find anyone
that has had quite the same problem.

I have a main form called 'Sites' and have added a subform called
'Previous Year Flows' into the main form. I do not enter data into
this subform. Instead, data on previous years is drawn through from a
table called prev yr flows into this subform. When I open the subform
on its own it draws through all the necessary data, but when it is
embedded within the main form, none of the actual data is pulled
through at all, although the linked fields, Site ID and Application
Number are drawn through, so I don't know if this means that it is
linking properly?

I just can't seem to get the subform to draw through the data properly
when it is added onto the main form. I've been going around in circles
with this and can't find a solution so if anyone can offer any hints,
I'd be grateful. I'm afraid I'm not very proficient at Access so it
could be something simple I'm missing.

0
Rachel

Rachel,

When you say that Site ID and Application Number are "the linked
fields", do you mean that both of these fields are included in the
Record Source of both the main form and the subform?  And that the Link
Master Fields and Link Child Fields properties of the subform would both
read like this:
[Site ID],[Application Number]
Is that right?

In that case, let's say you open the subform independently.  In the data
shown on the subform, are there records with the same Site ID *and*
Application Number of the main form record you were looking at when you
tested with the subform embedded?  Hope that makes sense...

--
Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP

Rachel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been searching around looking for some help and can't find anyone
> that has had quite the same problem.
>
> I have a main form called 'Sites' and have added a subform called
> 'Previous Year Flows' into the main form. I do not enter data into
> this subform. Instead, data on previous years is drawn through from a
> table called prev yr flows into this subform. When I open the subform
> on its own it draws through all the necessary data, but when it is
> embedded within the main form, none of the actual data is pulled
> through at all, although the linked fields, Site ID and Application
> Number are drawn through, so I don't know if this means that it is
> linking properly?
>
> I just can't seem to get the subform to draw through the data properly
> when it is added onto the main form. I've been going around in circles
> with this and can't find a solution so if anyone can offer any hints,
> I'd be grateful. I'm afraid I'm not very proficient at Access so it
> could be something simple I'm missing.

0
Steve
5/14/2007 9:19:00 AM
Hi,

Not sure what happened to the reply I sent the other day, so we'll see
if I can remember what I wrote! When I said they were the ''linked
fields'' I meant that they are the fields that I have based the
relationship between the main form, site browser and the subform, prev
yr flows on. The link master fields and link child field properties of
the subform reads:

Site Reference; Current Application (master)

Site ID; Application Number (child)

When I look at the subform independently, all the data is drawn
through from the prev yr table as well as the Site ID for that
particular record, but the application number isn't. When the subform
is embedded in the main form, none of the data on previous years is
visible but the Site ID and Application Number fields are both
completed.

I'm afraid I'm not too good at all the intricacies of Access so hope
thats answered your query

Thanks

On 14 May, 10:19, Steve Schapel <scha...@mvps.org.ns> wrote:
> Rachel,
>
> When you say that Site ID and Application Number are "the linked
> fields", do you mean that both of these fields are included in the
> Record Source of both themainformand thesubform?  And that the Link
> Master Fields and Link Child Fields properties of thesubformwould both
> read like this:
> [Site ID],[Application Number]
> Is that right?
>
> In that case, let's say you open thesubformindependently.  In the data
> shown on thesubform, are there records with the same Site ID *and*
> Application Number of themainformrecord you were looking at when you
> tested with thesubformembedded?  Hope that makes sense...
>
> --
> Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> Rachel wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I've been searching around looking for some help and can't find anyone
> > that has had quite the same problem.
>
> > I have amainformcalled 'Sites' and have added asubformcalled
> > 'Previous Year Flows' into themainform. I do not enter data into
> > thissubform. Instead, data on previous years is drawn through from a
> > table called prev yr flows into thissubform. When I open thesubform
> > on its own it draws through all the necessary data, but when it is
> > embedded within themainform, none of the actual data is pulled
> > through at all, although the linked fields, Site ID and Application
> > Number are drawn through, so I don't know if this means that it is
> > linking properly?
>
> > I just can't seem to get thesubformto draw through the data properly
> > when it is added onto themainform. I've been going around in circles
> > with this and can't find a solution so if anyone can offer any hints,
> > I'd be grateful. I'm afraid I'm not very proficient at Access so it
> > could be something simple I'm missing.- Hide quoted text -

Rachel
5/16/2007 6:59:01 AM
Rachel,

Can you please post back with the SQL view of the query that the subform
is based on?

Here's the deal:
On the parent form, there is a [Site Reference] control, and there is a
[Current Application] control.  Right?  So when the main form is open,
at any particular record, there will be a particular value for each of
these two controls, right?  So in the subform, the *only* records that
will be shown, with your setup, are the records where the value of the
[Site ID] field matches the value of the main form's current [Site
Reference] field, *and* the value of the [Application Number] matches
the value of the main form's current [Current Application] field.  It is
apparent that there are no matching subform records, so therefore it is
only to be expected that there will be no data shown in the subform.
What we have to identify ow is "why"...

--

Rachel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure what happened to the reply I sent the other day, so we'll see
> if I can remember what I wrote! When I said they were the ''linked
> fields'' I meant that they are the fields that I have based the
> relationship between the main form, site browser and the subform, prev
> yr flows on. The link master fields and link child field properties of
> the subform reads:
>
> Site Reference; Current Application (master)
>
> Site ID; Application Number (child)
>
> When I look at the subform independently, all the data is drawn
> through from the prev yr table as well as the Site ID for that
> particular record, but the application number isn't. When the subform
> is embedded in the main form, none of the data on previous years is
> visible but the Site ID and Application Number fields are both
> completed.
>
> I'm afraid I'm not too good at all the intricacies of Access so hope
> thats answered your query
0
Steve
5/17/2007 10:23:57 AM
Hi Steve,

I think this could be the problem then - my subform is based on the
Prev Yr Flows table not a query. So I can't post the SQL view of the
query the subform is based on beacuse it isn't based on any query. At
the end of the year I update the Prev Yr Flows table and then I was
expecting the updated info to be drawn through into the subform.

As far as the other things you mentioned, your asssumptions are all
correct as far as I'm aware.

Thanks..

On 17 May, 11:23, Steve Schapel <scha...@mvps.org.ns> wrote:
> Rachel,
>
> Can you please post back with the SQL view of the query that the subform
> is based on?
>
> Here's the deal:
> On the parent form, there is a [Site Reference] control, and there is a
> [Current Application] control.  Right?  So when the main form is open,
> at any particular record, there will be a particular value for each of
> these two controls, right?  So in the subform, the *only* records that
> will be shown, with your setup, are the records where the value of the
> [Site ID] field matches the value of the main form's current [Site
> Reference] field, *and* the value of the [Application Number] matches
> the value of the main form's current [Current Application] field.  It is
> apparent that there are no matching subform records, so therefore it is
> only to be expected that there will be no data shown in the subform.
> What we have to identify ow is "why"...
>
> --
> Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> Rachel wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Not sure what happened to the reply I sent the other day, so we'll see
> > if I can remember what I wrote! When I said they were the ''linked
> > fields'' I meant that they are the fields that I have based the
> > relationship between the main form, site browser and the subform, prev
> > yr flows on. The link master fields and link child field properties of
> > the subform reads:
>
> > Site Reference; Current Application (master)
>
> > Site ID; Application Number (child)
>
> > When I look at the subform independently, all the data is drawn
> > through from the prev yr table as well as the Site ID for that
> > particular record, but the application number isn't. When the subform
> > is embedded in the main form, none of the data on previous years is
> > visible but the Site ID and Application Number fields are both
> > completed.
>
> > I'm afraid I'm not too good at all the intricacies of Access so hope
> > thats answered your query- Hide quoted text -

Rachel
5/21/2007 1:43:24 PM
Rachel,

Ok, thanks for the further clarification.

So, let's say we look at a "test case".  Decide on one of the main form
records.  When you open the main form at this record, the problem is
that there is no data shown in the subform.

In the table/query that the main form is based on, this record includes
these fields:
	Site Reference
	Current Application
Take note of the value of these fields for the "test case".  Ok?

Now, here's the question... Are there any records in the Prev Yr Flows
table where:
- the Site ID field is the same as the Site Reference in the main table
....and also:
- the Application Number field is the same as the Current Application
field in the main table
??

Sorry, this is similar to what I wrote before, but I was still not clear
on the answer.  Thanks.

If the answer is Yes, there are such records in the Prev Yr Flows table,
then also please check in the design view of the tables that the data
type of the corresponding fields are the same.

--

Rachel wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I think this could be the problem then - my subform is based on the
> Prev Yr Flows table not a query. So I can't post the SQL view of the
> query the subform is based on beacuse it isn't based on any query. At
> the end of the year I update the Prev Yr Flows table and then I was
> expecting the updated info to be drawn through into the subform.
>
> As far as the other things you mentioned, your asssumptions are all
> correct as far as I'm aware.
0
Steve
5/21/2007 9:22:00 PM
Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for suggesting going through that method of a test
case. When I went through it step by step as you suggested, I realised
that in the Prev Yr Flows table there was a record with the same Site
Ref, but NOT that application number as well. Once I removed the
criteria for having to match up Site Ref AND Current Application and
limited it to just having the same Site Ref, the subform data was
visible and now works as part of the main form.

Problem solved!

Thanks very much for all your help and patience
Rachel

On 21 May, 22:22, Steve Schapel <scha...@mvps.org.ns> wrote:
> Rachel,
>
> Ok, thanks for the further clarification.
>
> So, let's say we look at a "test case".  Decide on one of the main form
> records.  When you open the main form at this record, the problem is
> that there is no data shown in the subform.
>
> In the table/query that the main form is based on, this record includes
> these fields:
>         Site Reference
>         Current Application
> Take note of the value of these fields for the "test case".  Ok?
>
> Now, here's the question... Are there any records in the Prev Yr Flows
> table where:
> - the Site ID field is the same as the Site Reference in the main table
> ...and also:
> - the Application Number field is the same as the Current Application
> field in the main table
> ??
>
> Sorry, this is similar to what I wrote before, but I was still not clear
> on the answer.  Thanks.
>
> If the answer is Yes, there are such records in the Prev Yr Flows table,
> then also please check in the design view of the tables that the data
> type of the corresponding fields are the same.
>
> --
> Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> Rachel wrote:
> > Hi Steve,
>
> > I think this could be the problem then - my subform is based on the
> > Prev Yr Flows table not a query. So I can't post the SQL view of the
> > query the subform is based on beacuse it isn't based on any query. At
> > the end of the year I update the Prev Yr Flows table and then I was
> > expecting the updated info to be drawn through into the subform.
>
> > As far as the other things you mentioned, your asssumptions are all
> > correct as far as I'm aware.- Hide quoted text -

Rachel

Making a form Maximize when opened?
How do I do this? "m galvin" <mgalvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BE1B7CF-E57A-42D5-B103-8A48E657C0E5@microsoft.com... > How do I do this? In the form's Open event, execute the statement: DoCmd.Maximize Note that maximizing a form also maximizes any other (non-popup) forms and reports, so you may want to restore things when the form closes. In that case, you could use the form's Close event to execute the statement DoCmd.Restore You can also do the same thing using the corresponding macro actions, Maximize an...

Making the custom form available
Hello: I have an exisiting contacts in the contacts folder. I redesigned the contact form and published it and now have all my new conacts using the new form. However how do I get the older pre exisitng contact items to update to the new form. Thanks Brian You would need to update the message class. See the link below for more info. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;201087&sd=RMVP "Brian" <waly2990@optonline.net> wrote in message news:OkFVg.204$Jl6.125@newsfe08.lga... > Hello: > I have an exisiting contacts in the contacts folder. I...

Exchange 2003 new domain adding
I have a domain (abc.com). I just purchased another one (xyz.com) and I need to create all the users under this new domain. If I have a user as mark@abc.com, I also need the user to be mark@xyz.com How can I do this? Is it possible that once I have the second domain created with all the users to forward the emails coming to to @abc.com to go to xyz.com? Thanks Manolo after you get your MX record in place, add a new recipient policy... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268838/en-us -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Manolo" <Manolo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83EC4...

Javascript alerr in crm forms
If you open a crm form for an account/contact or any other entity, make some changes and try to close the window without saving information, you see this javascript pop up which warns you of the unsaved information. In our deployment, we see this window even if we do not change anything!! Any idea how to take care of this issue? Thanks Typically this is caused when records were saved without some "default" information that the forms wants in there. This could have been from integration or data saved prior to the form being updated. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ------------...

Excel No Longer Working
Ok. This one has me stumped. I have adding the compatibility pack to systems in my office with no problem, until yesterday. Added the pack to an Office 2003 Pro system. Everything works great except for Excel. Now when we start excel it acts like it is trying to do an initial setup, then says it needs the disc. I put the disc in, but it will not find the CAB file. Weirder than that is every time I retry it the CAB designation changes. I have tried to do a repair and the same thing happens. I have tried a reinstall and the same thing happens. Anyone have ANY ideas???? I don't know...

How do you create a list with name address phone in a column form.
I have an excel file with last name, first address city state in each column. I want to prepare a two column report with each persons name first then address then phone. Can't remember how to print out a different view of excel. Making it look more like a two column word document. Maybe you can use MSWord's MailMerge. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave Rado. denise108 wrote: > > I have an excel file with last name, first address city state ...

Outlook has stopped working #3
I am not at all knowledgeable about this so I am hoping you will have patience with me as I learn. Thanks in advance. I tried to get into my mail yesterday and it would not open. Hesitated for a couple of minutes and then shut down and a box came up. I am going to type what was in the box in hopes someone can help me understand it: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file. C:\Users\Teresa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, an...

Lookup Outlook Contact does not work
Hello everyone, I have Outlook 2007 with configured MAPI e-mail account for corporate Kerio MailServer 6. My contact folder is included into Outlook Address Book however: - Lookup Outlook Contact does not work; - contact picture is not show for incoming messages; - way Outlook displays From field differs from specified in corresponding Outlook contact. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Regards, Shahin Musayev You are using the Kerio Outlook Connector? Have you checked their support site? Does the connector add it's own address book to outlook? Do you see your Cont...

eseutil /p didnt work
Hi! I was trying to do an information store restore because it got corrupted due to unexpected shutdown. I ran eseutil /p and defragmenter right after. But when I check for database integrity using isinteg, I got an error. What do I do knowing that this process didn't work? Im using windows 2003 and exchange 2003. Unfortunately the backup i have is not credible. Thank you. On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:53:04 -0700, "Arthus Lim" <ArthusLim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi! I was trying to do an information store restore because it got corrupted >due to unex...

Adding products to the temlate for quotes (Print quote for custome
Hi all I try to add more than one product for quote temlate (from Print quote for customer). I want to have a temlate with table of products from quote. But I can choose only one product. Thanks in advance for any help. ...

Show Names drop down box not working
I recently graduated to Office 2003 and I'm having a problem I don't know how to get around. I want to send this email to a large number of people, so I want to select several names from one of my contacts folders. But it won't let me. Here are the steps I'm going through: From the Mail Screen, New, To, then I want to click on the "Show Names from the" drop down box, but it won't let me. When I click on the drop down arrow, nothing happens. I have used Outlook in its various versions for years and have always used this feature. These files were imported fr...

visual basic has stopped working error message
I hope this is the discussion group for VB6. I have a vb6 project with crystal report 8.5. In the program once i click on RDC to open a report in design view I got this "Visual basic has stopped working" message comes up and I have to closed out visual basic. It always happens when I tried to open the report designer. I can run or compile the program fine without opening reports. My computer is vista home with SP2. Any suggestions? "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7F6B7C3-A847-43EF-A1C5-B300428EDC68@microsoft.com.....

Summing values where one is #Error doesn't work
I have a raw_data table (originating from an external source and pasted regularly into Access). I have a normalised_query query based on raw_data and doing 'stuff' including converting a text column to a number column. Where this conversion fails (<1% of cases) the column in the query contains #Error. I now want to run another query which includes a sum of that column, but because the value #Error appears in one of the rows, the sum fails. What's the simplest way around this? How are you converting the text to number? You might try something like: IIF(isnumeric([you...

Re-enabled AD account can't open it's mailbox
Hi, we just disable the wrong users AD account, so we renabled it and they now cannot access their mailbox: They error on the Exchange 2003 server is: Disabled user /o=Company name/ou=New York/cn=Recipients/cn=Joe.Bloggs does not have a master account SID. Please use Active Directory MMC to set an active account as this user's master account. Try this article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=278966 Nebojsa Seslija "SW" <SW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A43EEC0E-D62D-4213-9BC4-503EAA12E40A@microsoft.com... > Hi, we just disable the wrong u...

WORD FORMS
I need to change the colour of a CELL in a word form depending on the seletion of a Dropdown form called "Select Level" which provides 4 differing levels to choose from. Level 1 = Platinum Level 2 = Gold Level 3 = Silver Level 4 = Bronze And i Wish to change the colour of cells further down the form to those colours specified against each level. I believe that I may need touse a macro to do this, but have never actually used one before and do not even know how to start (Complete Novice in Macro) so would need instructions of how to input the macro if anyone is kind e...

Double click to open form and create new record
Hi team, Have scoured all of the posts and tried several different things for days but just can't seem to nut this one out. I have a form (FrmSeedBankStockAvailable) in datasheet view that lists seed lots by BatchID. I want to be able to double click on the record selector for a particular batch and have a form (DialogSeedBankWithdrawal) open so that I can make a new withdrawal entry, with the BatchID already entered from the selected record. I know that to do this I need to use the forms' DblClick property. I have been using the following code (and tried variations of from...

Registraion number not working for some users
Hi there, Two of my users cannot create a product registration number (Sales-Accounts-select product-Generate registration number) When you click the button the little window appears as it should but within it is a "Page cannot be displayed" message. Other users with the exact same permissions & assigned roles do not have this problem. I have installed the latest hotfix roll-up but this did not correct the error. Any help would be appreciated -Joseph Sounds like you are using a custom add-in or ISV integration. I would check with that vendor first... -- Matt Wittem...

Excel no autosum after rows added
Using Excel 2000, adding contents of columns using the standard formul (=sum(A1:A45)) etc.. Then paste linking result into anothe sheet/workbook. When adding new rows using a macro the formula does not work and th paste link is kaput.. Help pls -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Gmats, If I understand your question correctly, you have a table in Excel of which you have a total (sum) which you want to show up in other worksheets and/or other workbooks. This is done by linking to the cell containing the total. When you insert a row in your table, your formula does not adapt t...

Adding scores and need average
Mr. B set this up for me, but now I need the average of these 15 combo boxes. The formula below adds up the combo boxes for me quite nicely, but now I would like the text box to return the average score of the 15 combo boxes. Thanks, Tom Me.Text144 = Val(Me.Q1) Me.Text144 = Val(Me.Text144) + Val(Me.Q2) Me.Text144 = Val(Me.Text144) + Val(Me.Q3) Me.Text144 = Val(Me.Text144) + Val(Me.Q4) Me.Text144 = Val(Me.Text144) + Val(Me.Q5) Me.Text144 = Val(Me.Text144) + Val(Me.Q6) Me.Text144 = Val(Me.Text144) + Val(Me.Q7) Me.Text144 = Val(Me.Text144) + Val(Me.Q8) Me.Text144 = Val(Me.Text144) + Val(Me.Q...

Adding 2nd @emailaddress.com To Exchange
We are running Exchange 2003 on Native AD. Our company is adding starting a 2nd division which will have it's own email domain. Example. Currently Address user@email1.com Need to add: user@email2.com I know I can add multiple addresses to the Exchange server but now here is the tricky part. If an email comes in to user@email2.com we need him/her to be able to reply back and the email go out with the @email2.com address in the from field/properties. All the test I have ran put the Primary address in the from field. (user@email1.com). Should I look at adding a 2nd email client? T...

Adding the users name to a new list item
Is there a way to create a list so that when the logged in user creates a new item, it automatically insert's their user name into a column? I'm creating a time entry list, and don't want the users to have to type their name in every time they add a time record. The controller will review this list once a week and create reports based on the user, client, etc. Thanks in advance! Gavin Use the Created by column. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "Gavin Steiner" <gavin@interprom.com> wrote in mes...

adding items to a matrix
When adding existing items to an existing matrix it would be nice to be able to select multiple items to add at one time. We deal with shoes. New colors in exisitng styles are added 4-5 times per year so this requires adding the new items (we usually copy and existing like-item and re-number and re-describe it to reflect the new color), then add those new items to an existing matrix. If we were to add 20 sizes in a shoe in a new color, we would have to create 20 new items, then add them one-by-one to the existing matrix (a total of 40 tasks). If a user were able to multi select ite...

Get the ID of a newly added record
I have a table that is being accessed through a class derived from MFC's CRecordSet. The table is actually implemented in Access and it's ID is an auto number field. After doing an AddNew to the table, how can the newly added row's ID be retrieved? In SQL server, I just would have created a stored procedure which would have added the row and returned the ID. obviously, I can't do that in Access. Any ideas? -- Richard Lewis Haggard Hi U�ytkownik "Richard Lewis Haggard" <HaggardAtWorldDotStdDotCom> napisa� w wiadomo�ci news:%23VlM$X1%23EHA.4092@TK2MSF...

Pop up Form to set parameter of query to generate a report
I have a pop up form that opens when I run a report via a macro. The query searchs for an item (drug) that has 2 different mnemonics. (fields are mnemonic2 and mnemonic3 from table PDM) I cannot append the table fields into a new column because the table is on a server that does not allow changes. The problem is that I cannot figure out a way to attach [Forms]![frm_mnemonic]![lstbox] ---the combobox I am using on the form ----to mnemonic2 and mnemonic3 so it it will search both since they are both text values. I can attach it to one or the other field and it works fine, but when I attach it ...

Changing Names of Multiple Cell Link Ranges
I have a series of drop down boxes created with the Forms menu. The cell link range for each dropdown is different, as follows: Cell Link Box1 = DemandBase_A_UndistExp1 Cell Link Box2 = DemandBase_A_UndistExp2 Cell Link Box3 = DemandBase_A_UndistExp3 Cell Link Box...n = DemandBase_A_UndistExp...n I want to change them all at once to: DemandBase_A_OtherCost1 DemandBase_A_OtherCost2 DemandBase_A_OtherCost... I know I can change the entire name using the following code: Sub Change_Drop_Link() For Each bx In ActiveSheet.DropDowns If bx.LinkedCell = "DemandBase_A_UndistExp1" Then ...