State table lookup - How can I display full state name only on data entry?

Hi

I have a form for entering Customer data.  When entering a new record,
I have a lookup combo box to validate the state that the user enters.
The combo box displays the state code and the state name. (ie. Ca and
California).  The state code is the bound value and the state name is
the display value.

The only time I want to display the full state name is when the user
is entering data into the form.  I want the state code to be displayed
on queries, forms, and reports.

Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks in advance
Mark

0
mthornblad

Create a table with 2 fields like this:
    StateID        Text (say, 3 or 4 characters)
    State           Text (enough characters for all state names)
Mark the StateID field as primary key.

In the properties (lower pane in table design) for State, set
    Required    Yes
    Indexed      Yes, No Duplicates.

Save the table with a name such as tblState. Enter the abbreviated state
names in the first column, and the full state names in the 2nd.

Now on your form, use a combo box for the state. Give it properties like
this:
    Row Source        tblState
    Column Count     2
    Column Widths   0

<mthornblad@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I have a form for entering Customer data.  When entering a new record,
> I have a lookup combo box to validate the state that the user enters.
> The combo box displays the state code and the state name. (ie. Ca and
> California).  The state code is the bound value and the state name is
> the display value.
>
> The only time I want to display the full state name is when the user
> is entering data into the form.  I want the state code to be displayed
> on queries, forms, and reports.
>
> Is there a way to do this ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Mark

0
Allen

UI Data Validation using XML Schema
Has anybody done UI data validation usinf XML Schemas. Any pointers will help. Thanks! ...

The recipient name is not recognized #3
Hi guys. Being a bit of a novice with Exchange... What would the first thing be to look at if external receipients were receiving a "The recipient name is not recognized" bounced email when sending emails to newly set up mailboxes on my system? I've set up 1000's of mailboxes in the past with no probs and this has just started happening with new users this past week. Thanks for any help in advance. Andy you login the new user or send email to the account yea? "Mailboxes will not be seen in ESM until the person logs into it for the first time, or the first message...

Change left bar and top bar names on Order screen
Ok, I guess this could be the left bar and top bar names for any screen, but I'm specifically asking about the Order screen. I have a client that wants to change "Create Invoice" at the top to "Close". They also want to change "Write-In Products" to "Write-In Rooms". Where do I change these? I don't see them as options in the customization screens, even in the N:1 and 1:N areas. On Sep 23, 2:18=A0pm, Wayne Walton <waynek...@gmail.com> wrote: > Ok, I guess this could be the left bar and top bar names for any > screen, but I'm ...

Naming convention for static class variables and static methods?
I've seen a number of variable naming conventions for class member variables, including m_ .... default Microsoft c_ .... for control variables associated with "widgets" x_ .... for captions _ .... underscore as prefix to member variable I'm pondering the utility of having a convention of st_ for class static variables. A typical usage would be a static class variable to keep track of how many instances of the class had been created. Anyway, before "re-inventing an out-of-round wheel", I thought I'd check on existing and preferred conventions. Is...

Change Names of Legend
Hello, I understand that you change the actual text that appears in the legend, not the font of it. I tried to follow the example given on this site and doesn't work. Here is the formula for one of the markers in the Chart. The formula refers to 2 markers on the chart. I would like one marker in the legend to be "plastic" and the other "hardware" =SERIES(,Sheet1!$C$2:$C$28,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$28,1) Thank you very much for your help. This is for a presentation due on Monday. -- Thank you... Elaine Normally I wouldn't reply, but since the real experts may be of...

Change paths to linked external data
Hello. I have a database that has 3 external links in it: 1 is to a table in another Access Database. One is to an excel spread sheet. And, the third is to a .csv file. Is there a way in VBA to change the paths to these? Basically, i want to set up a form where the user can specify the new paths in text boxes if any of these files are moved. Anybody help me out? (Access 2007) cyb3rwolf wrote: >Hello. I have a database that has 3 external links in it: 1 is to a table >in another Access Database. One is to an excel spread sheet. And, the third >is to a .csv...

Contact First & Last names the wrong way around
In Outlook 2003 when creating a new contact I typed their name into the name field in the order Firstname Middlename Lastname and Outlook placed them in the correct order. I've recently upgraded to Outlook 2007 and now when I type in a name, for example John Smith Outlook takes John as the lastname and Smith as the Firstname and displays John, Smith (it's set to file as Lastname, Firstname). Options > Preferences > Contact Options > Default Fullname Order is set to Firstname Middlename Lastname (as I want it). To confuse things further I have a number of co...

Filter Lookup for Responsible Contact in CASE when Customer is sel
Hi, I have tried one of the posted article as below and understand how it works. But I hope the responsible contact will list up in the lookup window when the related customer is selected. Anyone offers help? Thanks. //Limit the entities one can choose of crmForm.all.customerid.lookuptypes="2"; crmForm.all.customerid.lookuptypenames="contact:2"; alert("1a"); //Change the default lookup type if (crmForm.all.regardingobjectid != null) { crmForm.all.regardingobjectid.setAttribute("defaulttype", "2"); alert("2a"); } ...

Jon Peltier
Jon, How would you do this with a Pivot Table? I'm not a Pivot Table novice and I just can't envision how this one would be done. Thanks, Barb Hi Barb - I didn't see this question at first, but I responded in the original thread. I didn't try to replicate the OP's one column setup from his first post, because it didn't match the more logical arrangement in his post in the other forum. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Barb Reinhardt wrote: > Jon, > ...

excel file can't be opened #2

Something destroying Money data
My MS Money 2007 software was working fine, and then a few months ago, there were transactions missing. I went for backups, and it seemed every time I opened a MOney file there were fewer transactions--it was truly weird. Thinking a file had been accidentally deleted, I used a file recovery program and retrieved file and backup - also no data. So I just put the whole thing aside and out of mind, but tried again today and searched all partitions for mny and mbf files.. Same result, if anything fewer transactions. Is there some virus or other malware that eats Money files? I guess I can d...

Can't auto-complete e-mail addresses
Dear All, I just imported about 2000 contacts in my Outlook 2000 Address Book. Able to see them in the address book and create groups etc. But when i compose a new message and i try to enter some e-mail addresses in TO and then why do outlook do not give me suggestion to auto-complete them? I tried most of the settings. It wont work. What may be the problem? -Sameer Outlook 2000 has no such feature. Autocompletion didn't start until Outlook 2002. Versions of Outlook earlier than Outlook 2002 have a feature called auto-resolution. If you enter part of a name or a nickname then tab out o...

XML into DataSet
Hi. I need some help. I have an xml file what will contain hundreds of groups and will have an associated xsd. My overall goal is to have a web application that allows a user to input a groupID from a webform, the application will than find that groupID in the xml file and display all the related information for that group only. I have read my xml into a DataSet and have been able to successful find groupID and display some of the information for that particular group. But I have been unable to navigate to the groupsItems node and subsequently the details of each groupItem found in gro...

Can't restor backup file, "Please insert the next backup disk.....
I have money 2005 backup file (.mbf) and my original file has gotten corrupted somehow and can't repair it (computer hung and had to be restarted). Whenever I try to restor the backup file, I get the following message, Window Title: Money Multiple Disk Backup Message: Please insert the next backup disk. (The disk containing file "".) I was backing up on a different connected single harddrive and there is only one file. The file is not in multiple pieces and on different drives. When I click OK, it doesn't do anything and cancel just stops the process. I even down...

How can I shade area under a norm dist graph?
I have graphed a normal distribution curve. =Normdist(x,4,4,false) for x=-8 to +18 Now I would like to shade the areas where 8.5<x<12 and x<-3. That is, the left tail and a portion of the right tail. How do I do that? TimH - For one method, see http://www.mikemiddleton.com/ShadedNormalDensity.xls - Mike Middleton http://www.DecisionToolworks.com Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel "TimH" <TimH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31235839-5F38-48E1-98EF-69A0BB22C634@microsoft.com... >I have graphed a normal distribution curve. =No...

Word table to XML
Can some one help me in converting a word table to XML? I am using word 2003 and the macro should word even with word 2007. Thanks in advance. Which macro? What is the xml schema for the table? Yves "Sri Vidya" <Sri Vidya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F93D7E1C-7BC9-456A-90CC-920CF0219759@microsoft.com... > Can some one help me in converting a word table to XML? I am using word > 2003 > and the macro should word even with word 2007. > Thanks in advance. > > ...

Pivot Table Axis format
Hi. I have a macro that creates a pivot-table and pivot chart. The X-axis is a date. In the raw data, the date is formated as month/day. This is the way I want it on the chart. However, the X-axis formats with month/day/year. How can I force this to display correctly? Thanks, Mike. Do you see a grey little dropdown under the X axis (where you can choose your dates to show)? If yes, then rightclick on it. Select the top option: "Format pivotchart field" then click on the Number button on the next dialog. There are a bunch of date formats that you can choose from. Maybe...

HowTo add row to series data
1) insert row with ShiftDown 2) apply new data to the newly emptied cells 3) preserve original chart series range 1) after this code row 2 is empty cells Excel.Worksheet chart = (Excel.Worksheet)book.Worksheets["Chart Data"]; Excel.Range rngToday = chart.get_Range("A2", "D2"); rngToday.Insert(Excel.XlInsertShiftDirection.xlShiftDown); 2) this puts todays date into A2 rngToday.NumberFormat = "MM/dd"; rngToday.Value = DateTime.Today; 3) OOPS - the chart data is now A3..A7 because of the insert above How do I reset the souce data to A...

can't add transfers to my budget
I have 3 accounts and I want to have 2 budget plans I want to have one "main" budget that has all my expenses, then another budget for my girlfriend and I's joint expenses. We have a joint account. I wanted to add the transfer from my checking into our joint account in my "main" budget. I have a group named "Transfers out of budget accounts" but I can't add anything to it or edit it. How can I accomplish this? I say one post here: http://umpmfaq.info/faq.txt that sounded hopeful, but when I tried to follow the instructions, nothing happened. Is t...

Spreadsheet name in a Cell
I am looking for a cell formula that would recover the spreadsheet name and display it in a cell - more or less as "=CELL("row";A1) function is able to return the line number of cell A1 or as "=CELL("filename";C18)" will return the full path of the Excel workbook housing cell C18... Thanks a lot - Alain79 See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0002.html -- HTH Bob Phillips "Alain79" <desaivresanospam@free.fr> wrote in message news:ddsce3$94f$1@s1.news.oleane.net... > I am looking for a cell formula that would recover the spre...

Can you have a Territory without a manager ?
Can you have a Territory without a manager ? Is it required ? Yes you can have a Territory without a manager. Just a little tip, all required fields are indicated in red, bold letters and all business recommended (ie suggested you fill this information in) fields are indicated in blue, bold letters. Veronica. Program Manager Microsoft Business Solutions CRM "newbie" wrote: > Can you have a Territory without a manager ? > > Is it required ? > ...

error : can't find object or library
I got this error : can't find object or library whenever i try to enter some information into a cell. can someone advise how to get raid of it? thanks Hi, Try this it may work: Most likely, the application has lost the reference to an object or type library resulting in the above error. The problem may be resolved as follows: Open the database or application. Open a module in Design view or press ALT+F11 to switch to the Visual Basic Editor. On the Tools menu, click References. Clear the check box for the type library or object library marked as "Missing:" An alter...