select multiple items from dropdown

hello everyone,

i have a table which is populated using a form. one of the fields is
person's name, the dropdown for which picks up data from a second table
(which has an index and person's name).

what i want to do is modify the form so that a user can select multiple
items from the dropdown, but i havent been able fo find a  way to do so.

i am using access 2003. i know that access 2007 lets you do that, but i dont
have an option of upgrading right now.

i would appreciate your suggestions

thanks,
vc-programmer

Create a related table, where you can store many options for one record in
your existing table (i.e. a one-to-many relation.)

This would be the best approach, even if you were using Access 2007.

If that's a new concept, here's a couple of introductory examples:
    http://allenbrowne.com/casu-23.html
    http://allenbrowne.com/casu-06.html
a free tutorial:
    http://allenbrowne.com/bin/Access_Basics_Crystal_080220_Chapter_03.pdf
and some other links:
    http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html#DatabaseDesign101

"vc-programmer" <vcprogrammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello everyone,
>
> i have a table which is populated using a form. one of the fields is
> person's name, the dropdown for which picks up data from a second table
> (which has an index and person's name).
>
> what i want to do is modify the form so that a user can select multiple
> items from the dropdown, but i havent been able fo find a  way to do so.
>
> i am using access 2003. i know that access 2007 lets you do that, but i
> dont
> have an option of upgrading right now.
>
> i would appreciate your suggestions
>
> thanks,
> vc-programmer

0
Allen
3/21/2008 3:24:52 PM
A combo box control (aka "drop down") only allows the selection of a single
item. A list box allows multiple selections.

A combo box is designed to combine the type-a-single-value textbox with some
of the preexisting list features of a listbox (hence the name Combo). With
the right settings, a combo allows the addition of a new value to the list
(similar to a text box) but a list box provides the user with no built in
method of adding to the provided list.

Afaik, none of this has changed in Access 2007, nor would any change be
desirable(IMO).

Afaik, if you want/need to allow multiple selections, you have to use a
listbox.
--
HTH,
George

"vc-programmer" <vcprogrammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello everyone,
>
> i have a table which is populated using a form. one of the fields is
> person's name, the dropdown for which picks up data from a second table
> (which has an index and person's name).
>
> what i want to do is modify the form so that a user can select multiple
> items from the dropdown, but i havent been able fo find a  way to do so.
>
> i am using access 2003. i know that access 2007 lets you do that, but i
> dont
> have an option of upgrading right now.
>
> i would appreciate your suggestions
>
> thanks,
> vc-programmer

0
George
3/21/2008 5:54:07 PM
allen: thanks for responding to my query. i am going through your suggestion
to make it work, i will send a reply soon. the tutorials are well written, my
compliments.

george : thanks for suggesting another way of doing it. i seem to be doing
something wrong to make it work, i have provided details of what i was
trying.
- a main table is populated with data using a form. one of the fields to be
populated is a person's name, which is pulled from another table by a look-up
which has names and serial numbers auto-numbered.
- i earlier had a listbox in the form, this allowed me to enter one name.
- i now created a combo-box in the form using the wizard. what happens is
that i select a name from the drop-down, it gets populated in the combobox.
when i select another name, the previous name in the combo-box gets
over-written.

what am i doing in-correctly here? i want to be able to enter multiple names
into the field. i guess i am missing something here...

thanks for your input.

"George Nicholson" wrote:

> A combo box control (aka "drop down") only allows the selection of a single
> item. A list box allows multiple selections.
>
> A combo box is designed to combine the type-a-single-value textbox with some
> of the preexisting list features of a listbox (hence the name Combo). With
> the right settings, a combo allows the addition of a new value to the list
> (similar to a text box) but a list box provides the user with no built in
> method of adding to the provided list.
>
> Afaik, none of this has changed in Access 2007, nor would any change be
> desirable(IMO).
>
> Afaik, if you want/need to allow multiple selections, you have to use a
> listbox.
> --
> HTH,
> George
>

> "vc-programmer" <vcprogrammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hello everyone,
> >
> > i have a table which is populated using a form. one of the fields is
> > person's name, the dropdown for which picks up data from a second table
> > (which has an index and person's name).
> >
> > what i want to do is modify the form so that a user can select multiple
> > items from the dropdown, but i havent been able fo find a  way to do so.
> >
> > i am using access 2003. i know that access 2007 lets you do that, but i
> > dont
> > have an option of upgrading right now.
> >
> > i would appreciate your suggestions
> >
> > thanks,
> > vc-programmer

george, i feel like an idiot for not reading your post carefully.

i have been using list-boxes, but i have not been able to select multiple
items in a form to populate a filed using that. i tried using combo-boxes,
but that dosent work either ( like you mentioned in your post )

for access 2003, is there a way to select multiple items in a list box?

"vc-programmer" wrote:

> allen: thanks for responding to my query. i am going through your suggestion
> to make it work, i will send a reply soon. the tutorials are well written, my
> compliments.
>
> george : thanks for suggesting another way of doing it. i seem to be doing
> something wrong to make it work, i have provided details of what i was
> trying.
> - a main table is populated with data using a form. one of the fields to be
> populated is a person's name, which is pulled from another table by a look-up
> which has names and serial numbers auto-numbered.
> - i earlier had a listbox in the form, this allowed me to enter one name.
> - i now created a combo-box in the form using the wizard. what happens is
> that i select a name from the drop-down, it gets populated in the combobox.
> when i select another name, the previous name in the combo-box gets
> over-written.
>
> what am i doing in-correctly here? i want to be able to enter multiple names
> into the field. i guess i am missing something here...
>
> thanks for your input.
>
> "George Nicholson" wrote:
>
> > A combo box control (aka "drop down") only allows the selection of a single
> > item. A list box allows multiple selections.
> >
> > A combo box is designed to combine the type-a-single-value textbox with some
> > of the preexisting list features of a listbox (hence the name Combo). With
> > the right settings, a combo allows the addition of a new value to the list
> > (similar to a text box) but a list box provides the user with no built in
> > method of adding to the provided list.
> >
> > Afaik, none of this has changed in Access 2007, nor would any change be
> > desirable(IMO).
> >
> > Afaik, if you want/need to allow multiple selections, you have to use a
> > listbox.
> > --
> > HTH,
> > George
> >

> > "vc-programmer" <vcprogrammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > hello everyone,
> > >
> > > i have a table which is populated using a form. one of the fields is
> > > person's name, the dropdown for which picks up data from a second table
> > > (which has an index and person's name).
> > >
> > > what i want to do is modify the form so that a user can select multiple
> > > items from the dropdown, but i havent been able fo find a  way to do so.
> > >
> > > i am using access 2003. i know that access 2007 lets you do that, but i
> > > dont
> > > have an option of upgrading right now.
> > >
> > > i would appreciate your suggestions
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > vc-programmer

> - i earlier had a listbox in the form, this allowed me to enter one name.
Listboxes have a MultiSelect property. If set to Simple or Extended multiple
selections are allowed, but the default is None.

> when i select another name, the previous name in the combo-box gets
> over-written.

And this is bad because??

The only time I can imagine you would NOT want a combobox value to NOT
overwrite existing data is if you were trying to use one combobox for both
data entry and record navigation (which is a lousy idea: use 2), but you
haven't even hinted that's what you are trying to do, so I'm confused.
Sorry if I'm being dense.  If you really do want to make multiple
selections, you need a listbox.

 --
HTH,
George

> [...]
>>
>> Afaik, none of this has changed in Access 2007, nor would any change be
>> desirable(IMO).
>>
>> Afaik, if you want/need to allow multiple selections, you have to use a
>> listbox.
>> --
>> HTH,
>> George
>>

>> "vc-programmer" <vcprogrammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hello everyone,
>> >
>> > i have a table which is populated using a form. one of the fields is
>> > person's name, the dropdown for which picks up data from a second table
>> > (which has an index and person's name).
>> >
>> > what i want to do is modify the form so that a user can select multiple
>> > items from the dropdown, but i havent been able fo find a  way to do
>> > so.
>> >
>> > i am using access 2003. i know that access 2007 lets you do that, but i

0
George
3/21/2008 9:03:52 PM
> And this is bad because??
what i want to do it use a dropdown list of names to select multiple names,
and then populate this to a field in a database.

> > - i earlier had a listbox in the form, this allowed me to enter one name.
> Listboxes have a MultiSelect property. If set to Simple or Extended multiple
> selections are allowed, but the default is None.
i set the multiselect properties to extended. when i select multiple items,
and hit enter - the field i linked it to does not get populated . do i need
to set something else too?

vc-programmer wrote:
>> And this is bad because??
> what i want to do it use a dropdown list of names to select multiple
> names, and then populate this to a field in a database.
>
>>> - i earlier had a listbox in the form, this allowed me to enter one
>>> name.
>> Listboxes have a MultiSelect property. If set to Simple or Extended
>> multiple selections are allowed, but the default is None.
> i set the multiselect properties to extended. when i select multiple
> items, and hit enter - the field i linked it to does not get
> populated . do i need to set something else too?

Access does not make what you want to do simple because it is a bad idea to
do in the first place. A field should hold ONE piece of data.  For multiple
pieces of similar data you create a new table with a relationship to the
first (one to many).

If you insist on ignoring this basic premise of database design then you
will have to do some work to make it happen.  That means using code to grab
the values from your multi-select ListBox and doing something with them to
get them inserted into your field.  Then you have even more difficult work
(with more code) to make such a field editable with your form.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick

non-taxable item
Hi, this is the scenario, I would like to know if there is a way to show non-taxable sales figure in the z-report. I would like to see the breakdown for the sales figure as follows Vat Sales Tax Amount Non taxable Amount Any help will be appreciated. -- Kay Yes, you could email me your z-report template, and i will do that for you. Please visit our website: www.tadsystem.com. "Kay" wrote: > Hi, this is the scenario, I would like to know if there is a way to show > non-taxable sales figure in the z-report. > > I would like to see the breakdown for the sales figu...

Receive one message to multiple user mailboxes
Hello all, Does anyone know if there is a way to have a single message routed to multiple users? When they had an ISP handling the mail, they just set Outlook to save the messages on the server, and had multiple users pull mail from that box. Now with Exchange Server, they want a message sent to admin@domain.com to drop into 2 or 3 different user mailboxes. Is this possible? or do they have to setup a common mailbox and give the users access to it? or other suggestions?? Thank you in advance. you need only to configure a distribution group with the smtp address admin@domain.com, ...

Selecting a single column expands selection to span of merged cell
When selecting a single column, the selection expands to the span of a merged cell in that column. I cannot duplicate this behaviour on other Excel installations, we're using Excel 2003 SP2. Spent a morning googling for a solution but did not succeed. Help me guys, you're my last resort... -Jeroen I can duplicate that in xl2003 SP3 if I do it via code. But I can't duplicate it if I do it manually. You want to share the address of the merged cells and the column that you're selecting--and how you're selecting it. But each version of excel seems to behave differe...

Allowing both multiple values and list edits in Lookup field
In Access 2007 I am trying to make a table column utilize a combo box that allows both multiple values and list edits. However, when I set it to allow both features, it doesn't let me make any edits to the list in the table; the multiple values aspect works just fine. When I don't allow multiple values, I can edit it to my heart's content. Anyone know a way around this problem? I know that I'm doing it right (all you have to do is select "Yes"!) but it's jut not allowing me to have both allowances as it should. Jess If you are saying that you a...

Clearing a customer's information once selected
Sometimes I pick the wrong customer or don't use the customer that is selected for a certain transaction. It appears the only way to clear the customer card (of course except by selecting another customer card) is to restart the program. Any suggestions on how to get around this? Thank you in advance. I made a custom button with the clearcustomer command. Just click on it and you'll start back with no customer selected. Craig "knightsbridge" <knightsbridge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A582EA2-2408-47EF-AC36-A70F09A2EA07@microsoft.com... &...

Pivot: Selecting data with Query Result
Hello Community, I am using Pivot functunality to get access to data that is stored in a classical table. As I result from selecting the name in the the page field, I would to display the corresponding values like customer number and post code just below the name field but not in the data field. Moreover, I want to be able to enter the customer number once and another time the name, whereas each time the "related field" is filled correspondingly. Could anybody help me on that issue. Thanks and cheers. Glenn Format of the source data: #Name #Customer Nr. # Postcode # Reven...

multiple program windows?
How can I enable a second excel program window to view on a secon monitor connected to a laptop -- tafstewar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tafsteward's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2593 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39304 You would use the same Excel instance, but drag the right border of Excel to run into the next display. If it cannot be done with just the graphics cards, you could download and try the stuff from www.ultramon.com. It will do it for sure, ...

can you use select with DoCmd.RunSQL?
From the Access help, it says that you can use a select statement in RunSQL. My question is, how do you get the values of that select statement? For instance if I select a dropdownlist which lists columns "ID, first name, middle name, last name", is there a way I can make all those values show up in the dropdownlist.text property? Or would it be the .value property? To try to work around this problem, I want to do RunSQL to do a select statement: "select first name, last name from employees where '" & empid = dropdownlist.value & "'". The p...

Selecting a Drawing Object
I need to get the name of a drawing object when I click it via a left click, something like: Sub TheDrawingObject msgbox(me.name) End Sub I need to assign it to a variable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Option Explicit Sub TheDrawingObject() Dim myShape as shape set myshape = activesheet.shapes(application.caller) 'just to show a few ways to get it and other options msgbox application.caller _ & vblf & myshape.name _ & vblf & myshape.topleftcell.address End sub Troubled User wrote: > > I n...

OL 2003: Archive only selected subfolders
I used to be able to archive just selected subfolders in OL 2000, although it was annoying to have to reset the autoarchive properties in the main folder. Now that I am using OL 2003, I am confused. It doesn't seem possible to (1) set auto-archive off for all folders (2) turn on auto-archive for selected folders only. If I got this to work again, I could cut my PST file size dramatically. I'm not in imminent danger of hitting the dreaded 1.87 GB limit, but I do need to keep an eye on file size. I live on Outlook <Private@privacy.org> wrote: > I used to be able to a...

select and move columns by their name in header row
Hi I get a large ws with 70 - 100 cols each month. There is a header row, but the names of the cols are not always in the same order. I want to select 3 or 4 entire columns, and move them to a blank sheet in the same workbook "mdata". This code doesn't work in MS Excel 2007, but I can't figure out how to correct it. Sub cleanup() Sheets("cases-dump").Select date = WorksheetFunction.Match("Procedure Date", Rows("1:1"), 0) icd9 = WorksheetFunction.Match("Pre-op Diagnoses 1", Rows("1:1"), 0) cpt1 = Worksh...

How to handle Outlook Contacts who have multiple Names
We have many contacts who have multiple names, e.g., (1) women who, having been married several times, sometimes use their "maiden" surname, and sometimes use their first or second husband's surname; (2) people who sometimes use their formal name, and sometimes use a nickname [e.g., Jack Kennedy]; (3) people who live in Israel, who sometimes use their "English" names [e.g., Jeffrey Goldberg], but also use entirely different names in Hebrew [e.g., Yakov Ben-Tzion]. Is it possible to create (what I'll call) "Shortcuts" in Outlook (for a part...

Displaying Multiple Text Lines At Runtime
I need to display various text messages in my dialog app, and they change during the application. There will be multiple lines of text in one rectangular area. In order to handle that and format it well, should I not use the edit box with an attached CStatic variable? Should I just use text out with coordinates and maybe draw a rectangular area instead of using a control? Thanks, Matt There are several ways by which you can acheive this. 1. In your Status bars, create a new panel for displaying your messages. 2. Create a control bar, which can be docked/closed, and write your messages in...

Import multiple photos into excel
I am trying to create a photo sheet that will allow me to import all photos in a directory into an excel spreadsheet. I want it to: Import all images in a directory. (even if I have to choose to open the folder and then select all) Place each photo into a separate box Auto-format all the photos to the same size where (2) images fit on each printed page. Have a space for a text description to the right of each photo. Auto-number each row/photo if possible (so it changes all the numbers if I delete a row) Place a header with a logo on each printed page. Insert a merge field in t...

should be able to view more attributes on the item list
I would like to be able to view more options on the item list like the other attributes on the general tab. I need to be able to distinguish between color and size etc. and when going to item lookup, it is hard for me to do that when just looking at the description or lookup #. It would be nice to be able to view any of the colums on the detailed item list and choose the look of it like on the reports (the part where we can pick what fields show up on the report) or just an arrow and the ability to sort the way the columns show up in the box. Right now if I am not sure if I am choosing ...

Multiple CRM Sites (child domains) on 1 Server
I would like to install multiple CRM sites, from different child domains, on 1 CRM server. I believe this is possible. Are there any things I should be aware of? Any critical issues that will arise? Is this covered in the implimentation guide....off to get it now. Thanks. "Scott" <wikayaker@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1141061562.354599.267210@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com... >I would like to install multiple CRM sites, from different child > domains, on 1 CRM server. Not possible, sorry. I believe I read MS is considering this for the next version, to f...

Multiple copies of the same email downloaded to inbox
I have checked the 'keep copy on server' since I download to multple machines. However, randomly any machine will continue to download not only new messages but whatever is in the pop box on the server (i.e. non deleted email). this of course is extremely annoying. Anybody have any idea of what might be wrong? Is it a server problem or a client problem. I tend to think it might be server since it happens randomly on any client. Thank, Greg What version of Outlook do you have? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties...

multiple selection
how to have the multiple selection in the interfaces of research of the recordings in MS CRM 3.0 because a message is posted: "you can select 1 at the same time line" ...

OE6 Multiple identities receiving mail on shared computer
In Outlook Express 6, we have several identities sharing one computer. All identities receive all emails directed at any one of the identities. Does anyone know what causes this problem? Please Advise of solution. Post in an Outlook Express group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office - Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer. You can also try http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com for some excellent OE assistance. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus,...

howto setup SMTP Connectors to single/multiple smarthosts?
Have multiple W2K user machine (minimum SP4) and Outlook 2003 (SP1) that connects to a new SBS 2003 (SP1). All e-mail is via "smarthost". Attempting to set Exchange up to initially send (SMTP) to a smarthost that requires a different "Outbound Security" setting for each email user. Later, want to be able to send to any smarthost based on the email that the user set up (different smarthost/name/password). Currently have POP3 Connector bringing in the mail from multiple smarthosts/name/password just fine. The SMTP Virtual Server has no "Smart Host" or &quo...

Code for selecting worksheets
Hi I have a workbook with 70 sheets named Sheet1 to Sheet70, and I am trying to write some code into a macro to allow me to select (say) only Sheets 15 to 40. I am trying to write code in the following format, but struggling: Sheets ("Sheet15" to "Sheet40").Select Or in another case: Sheets("Sheet15 to "last sheet").Select - where last sheet could be any sheet depending on how many I add or delete in the middle. If I try to record a macro by selecting the sheets it uses the array command, but lists each sheet in the range by name. This is no goo...

Matrix Items/Lookup Codes
I'm somewhat new to RMS and have a question about matrix items and lookup codes. We are a clothing/footwear store. When I want to input one style of jeans in 10 different sizes, I believe I should use "Matrix Item". It appears that there is only one "lookup code" for the entire style. Does this mean that when my cashier goes to checkout the customer who buys size 30, they have to scan the barcode/lookup code and then find the size 30? Shouldn't each size have its own lookup code to save time and to avoid the possibility of the cashier making a mistake o...

no show all function in dropdown list in Pivot Table
Dear Sir, I'm using excel 2000 professional version. When I create new pivot table, everthing is fine but once I want to look at the specific item, I have no "show all" function in the dropdown list of item field. So that I have to unmark all items, instead of only unmark the "show all". How can I have "show all" function in this case? thanks In Excel 2000, and earlier versions, the Show All checkbox isn't available. You can use programming to hide or show the items -- there's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html...

Format/Column/Autofit selection lost
In Excel 2002 I was trying to put the Format/Column/Autofit Selection option onto the toolbar. In the Customize/Commands window I could not find this command under the Format category (or any other). I then tried to drag the option from the Format/column menu onto the toolbar which effectively deleted the option from that menu. Any ideas? If you hold the control down when you drag that menu item, you'll end up with two copies. I like to do it this way: Tools|customize (just to show that dialog) then expand the menu and control copy the item to its new location. You should be a...

Emails to multiple recipients not being delivered
Windows 2000 Server SP4 Exchange 5.5 SP4 We've had multiple complaints about people not being able to send to multiple recipients in the "To:" field. For example: John Doe, Jane Smith, and Mike Brown are all listed as the "To:" recipients of an email. Jane Doe gets the email but nobody else listed does. We have had a few people tell us about this problem. Somtimes all recipipients will get the email but sometimes not. Are there any settings in Exchange 5.5 that will prevent this? Thanks in advance. Mr. Mike On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:02:02 -0700, "Mr. Mike"...