Saving a record on a form to multiple places

Here is what I think will be an easy question, but im not sure...

Lets say I have a databasee, which i do.  Lets say that on my main
form, I have a text box called "company".  On the same form, I have
command buttons that link to other forms that have to do with this
company, but they are too numerous to put all on subforms within this
form, as I was instructed to make the forms less cluttered.

When I enter a new company's name in the text box, as if im adding it
for the first time, I would like it to update that field to other
tables as well, which all contain that companies name.  How do I go
about this?

Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Sean

0
SeanMatyas

If you have the company name in more than one table, your database design
needs some rework.  Additionally, the other tables don't yet have any data
related to the company, so there is nothing to put there.

It appears you need to do some reading on relational database design.  The
correct way to handle this is to have a company table that has a primary key
field that is not the company name.  That is what Autonumber fields are for.
The reason is, company names change (Singular is now AT&T), but the data
related to the company entity does not change.  Primary keys should be a
vaule that does not change.  That is because whereever in your database you
need to reference the company, you do not store the company name or any other
company information.  You only store the primary key of the company's record
in the company table in a field.  That field is known as a foreign key.  That
is a key that points to where the data is.  This is a basic relational
database design concept.

--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

On Jul 25, 3:04 pm, Klatuu <Kla...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> If you have the company name in more than one table, your database design
> needs some rework.  Additionally, the other tables don't yet have any data
> related to the company, so there is nothing to put there.
>
> It appears you need to do some reading on relational database design.  The
> correct way to handle this is to have a company table that has a primary key
> field that is not the company name.  That is what Autonumber fields are for.
> The reason is, company names change (Singular is now AT&T), but the data
> related to the company entity does not change.  Primary keys should be a
> vaule that does not change.  That is because whereever in your database you
> need to reference the company, you do not store the company name or any other
> company information.  You only store the primary key of the company's record
> in the company table in a field.  That field is known as a foreign key.  That
> is a key that points to where the data is.  This is a basic relational
> database design concept.
>
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "SeanMat...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > Here is what I think will be an easy question, but im not sure...
>
> > Lets say I have a databasee, which i do.  Lets say that on my main
> > form, I have a text box called "company".  On the same form, I have
> > command buttons that link to other forms that have to do with this
> > company, but they are too numerous to put all on subforms within this
> > form, as I was instructed to make the forms less cluttered.
>
> > When I enter a new company's name in the text box, as if im adding it
> > for the first time, I would like it to update that field to other
> > tables as well, which all contain that companies name.  How do I go
> > about this?
>
> > Thank you in advance for your assistance,
> > Sean- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for the help... however, i feel i should clarify a little,
and hopefully I am not completely off base here...

There is a  reason i have other tables without information pertaining
to the company itself.  It may not be a good one, however.  We store
the company's main contact information on one table.  Next, we have a
table that lists whether or not this company has been inspected by our
department.  We are not required to inspect every company, but it is
important to know which ones we have and have not inspected.  Thus, on
a table known as "2007 inspections", it is important to have every
company listed, as that way we can see what percentage of the total
companies we have inspected.  On another Table, I have all of the fee
information.  Thus, it is important there to have the company listed
as well automatically.  Is it suggested that I put these seemingly 3
unrelated pieces of information into one table?

I hope this clears things up... if im still way off base, which i just
might be, let me know as well.

0
SeanMatyas
7/25/2007 8:20:33 PM
No, not at all.
Each should be a separate table.
Your inspection table should have only the company Id, the date of the
inspection, and any other data pertenant to the inspection.  You don't need
all the companys to determine the number inspected, or percentages thereof.
That you do with queries.

--

On Jul 25, 3:54 pm, Klatuu <Kla...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> No, not at all.
> Each should be a separate table.
> Your inspection table should have only the company Id, the date of the
> inspection, and any other data pertenant to the inspection.  You don't need
> all the companys to determine the number inspected, or percentages thereof.
> That you do with queries.
>
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "SeanMat...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > On Jul 25, 3:04 pm, Klatuu <Kla...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > If you have the company name in more than one table, your database design
> > > needs some rework.  Additionally, the other tables don't yet have any data
> > > related to the company, so there is nothing to put there.
>
> > > It appears you need to do some reading on relational database design.  The
> > > correct way to handle this is to have a company table that has a primary key
> > > field that is not the company name.  That is what Autonumber fields are for.
> > > The reason is, company names change (Singular is now AT&T), but the data
> > > related to the company entity does not change.  Primary keys should be a
> > > vaule that does not change.  That is because whereever in your database you
> > > need to reference the company, you do not store the company name or any other
> > > company information.  You only store the primary key of the company's record
> > > in the company table in a field.  That field is known as a foreign key.  That
> > > is a key that points to where the data is.  This is a basic relational
> > > database design concept.
>
> > > --
> > > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

> > Thank you for the help... however, i feel i should clarify a little,
> > and hopefully I am not completely off base here...
>
> > There is a  reason i have other tables without information pertaining
> > to the company itself.  It may not be a good one, however.  We store
> > the company's main contact information on one table.  Next, we have a
> > table that lists whether or not this company has been inspected by our
> > department.  We are not required to inspect every company, but it is
> > important to know which ones we have and have not inspected.  Thus, on
> > a table known as "2007 inspections", it is important to have every
> > company listed, as that way we can see what percentage of the total
> > companies we have inspected.  On another Table, I have all of the fee
> > information.  Thus, it is important there to have the company listed
> > as well automatically.  Is it suggested that I put these seemingly 3
> > unrelated pieces of information into one table?
>
> > I hope this clears things up... if im still way off base, which i just
> > might be, let me know as well.- Hide quoted text -

Ok... I have the company ID in my company table as the primary key, as
suggested. I also have the company ID in my inpection and fee tables.
I have defined a relationship between the tables using the company
ID.  Yet when i run a query that looks for companies (from my company
table) without an inspection (yes/no field on my inspection table), it
returns zero records because the company ID is not being transferred
to the Inspection table... which is really what my starting question
was, i think... help?

thanks again, i hope we can work this out
Sean

0
SeanMatyas
7/25/2007 9:21:00 PM
The value of the key will not transfer automatically.  You can do it either
with a form/subform where the form is the customer and the subform is the
inspection.  Then, when you add a new record, it will be done automatically.
Or, perhaps easier, would be to add a combo box to your existing inspection
form that would have two columns, one for the customer name (to satisfy
humans) and one for the key field.  Then have the combo bound to the field in
the inspection table that is the foreign key.

This will seem very confusing, I know, but soon it will go off like a light
bulb and be perfectly clear.
--

On Jul 25, 4:40 pm, Klatuu <Kla...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> The value of the key will not transfer automatically.  You can do it either
> with a form/subform where the form is the customer and the subform is the
> inspection.  Then, when you add a new record, it will be done automatically.
> Or, perhaps easier, would be to add a combo box to your existing inspection
> form that would have two columns, one for the customer name (to satisfy
> humans) and one for the key field.  Then have the combo bound to the field in
> the inspection table that is the foreign key.
>
> This will seem very confusing, I know, but soon it will go off like a light
> bulb and be perfectly clear.
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "SeanMat...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > On Jul 25, 3:54 pm, Klatuu <Kla...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > No, not at all.
> > > Each should be a separate table.
> > > Your inspection table should have only the company Id, the date of the
> > > inspection, and any other data pertenant to the inspection.  You don't need
> > > all the companys to determine the number inspected, or percentages thereof.
> > > That you do with queries.
>
> > > --
> > > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

> > Ok... I have the company ID in my company table as the primary key, as
> > suggested. I also have the company ID in my inpection and fee tables.
> > I have defined a relationship between the tables using the company
> > ID.  Yet when i run a query that looks for companies (from my company
> > table) without an inspection (yes/no field on my inspection table), it
> > returns zero records because the company ID is not being transferred
> > to the Inspection table... which is really what my starting question
> > was, i think... help?
>
> > thanks again, i hope we can work this out
> > Sean- Hide quoted text -

Ok... I have it working that way, i still run into a problem
however... when i go to run a query to find the Companies who have not
been inspected (using CompanyID from Company table and Inspection yes/
no or even inspection date from inspection table), it will not return
companies that appear in only the company table but not the inspection
table....even though what i am really in need of is to find out which
companies have no inspection records... where am i going wrong here??

Thank you for your efforts and patience,
Sean

0
SeanMatyas
7/26/2007 3:56:20 PM
You may need a Union query for this.
--

"SeanMatyas@gmail.com" wrote:

> On Jul 25, 4:40 pm, Klatuu <Kla...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > The value of the key will not transfer automatically.  You can do it either
> > with a form/subform where the form is the customer and the subform is the
> > inspection.  Then, when you add a new record, it will be done automatically.
> > Or, perhaps easier, would be to add a combo box to your existing inspection
> > form that would have two columns, one for the customer name (to satisfy
> > humans) and one for the key field.  Then have the combo bound to the field in
> > the inspection table that is the foreign key.
> >
> > This will seem very confusing, I know, but soon it will go off like a light
> > bulb and be perfectly clear.
> > --
> > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

> > > Ok... I have the company ID in my company table as the primary key, as
> > > suggested. I also have the company ID in my inpection and fee tables.
> > > I have defined a relationship between the tables using the company
> > > ID.  Yet when i run a query that looks for companies (from my company
> > > table) without an inspection (yes/no field on my inspection table), it
> > > returns zero records because the company ID is not being transferred
> > > to the Inspection table... which is really what my starting question
> > > was, i think... help?
> >
> > > thanks again, i hope we can work this out
> > > Sean- Hide quoted text -

> Ok... I have it working that way, i still run into a problem
> however... when i go to run a query to find the Companies who have not
> been inspected (using CompanyID from Company table and Inspection yes/
> no or even inspection date from inspection table), it will not return
> companies that appear in only the company table but not the inspection
> table....even though what i am really in need of is to find out which
> companies have no inspection records... where am i going wrong here??
>
> Thank you for your efforts and patience,
> Sean

How do I Restore old save dbx files back into OE store folder
I have some old dbx files that I saved into a folder in 'My documents' some time ago during earlier OE back ups. I now wish to re-import some of these saved dbx folders back into OE in order to assess some of these emails again. I've been looking at the wed sites 'Inside OE' and 'OE help'. But can't seem find or see the part that will give me directions on how to do this. Some of these saved dbx folders have the same names of existing folders that I'm currently using in OE. So presumably, I'm going to have to do some folder renaming or s...

Updating a table from Form Entry
I have a form that pops up when a user clicks a button to Print said form. The form is for the user to enter the name of the table and any footnotes for that particular form, this form is connected to a table that stores this information for everytime the report is printed. THe problem I having is that when the user enters the information and clicks [PRINT] the report is blank, when I open the table the info the user has entered has not updated onto the table yet. Is there a way so that when the user clicks [PRINT] the footnote table will update BEFORE the report prints? Larry -- Neve...

Update textbox on form
The following are events on two combo boxes on a subform "NewJobsSubform", the first sets the rowsource of the second and also sets a default value in the second. The second event sets the value in the text box "Sell" to the price associated with the RepProduct in cboRepProduct - collected from the table "RepairProducts". "Private Sub cboCatName_AfterUpdate() On Error Resume Next Me.cboRepProduct.RowSource = "SELECT RepairProduct.RepProduct FROM" & _ " RepairProduct WHERE CatName = '" & Me.cboCatName.Value...

Copy field data to multiple places

Forms Based Authentication
I have configured Exchange 2003 Server on Windows 2003 Server. Everything works , HTTP,HTTPS, OWA Password change , but whenever I enable forms based authentication I recieve an error "440 login timeout" and the page will not load. Pls Help Regards I hesitate, because it doesn't fully match your diagnosis but take a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;817379 to see if it's of any help. >-----Original Message----- >I have configured Exchange 2003 Server on Windows 2003 Server. Everything >works , HTTP,HTTPS, OWA Password change ,...

Please help with last formula for order form.
I am able to accomplish this with 1 column by the formulas below. Cell H160 is the subtotal: =IF(SUM(H72:H111)>0,SUM(H72:H111),"") Cell H166 the total: =IF(SUM(H160)>0,SUM((H160*H163)+H160),"") Cell H163 is for Tax. I am almost finished creating an order form. I would like to get the SUM of 3 different columns that are separated. I am not able auto fill strait down the column, because the information is separated in groups with titles, and the cells are not identically sized. I tried varations of this formula: =IF(SUM(H72:H111)+(116:131)+(135:154)>0,SUM ((H72:H...

Change color of multiple autoshapes
I need to change the color of several autoshape based on different cells I know how to change one autoshape using a worksheet_change event but i can't just copy and paste this and change the object name + cell name. is it possible to have multiple worksheet_change events in the same worksheet?? T-bone, You have only one worksheet_change event, but in it you can test to see which cell was changed with something like If not Intersect(Target, Range("A1") is nothing then ' do range A1 stuff here end if If not Intersect(Target, Range("A2") is nothing then &#...

Automatically generate a new record
Can I autumatically generate a new record adding information (future date) from a current record? Yes. In your form have Double-click event call an append query that pull data from your form fields to append one record. INSERT INTO [YourTableToAppendInto] ( Field1, Field2, Field3, Field4 ) SELECT TOP 1 [Forms]![YourForm]![1stField] AS [X], [Forms]![YourForm]![2ndtField] AS [Y], [Forms]![YourForm]![2rdtField] AS [Z], [Forms]![YourForm]![4thtField] AS [A]; -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "Crown Jenny" wrote: > Can I autumatically generate a new record addin...

How do I add multiple times together
Hi does anyone know how I can add multiple times togther and get the anser in hours and minutes. I have formatted the cell for time however when I atosum I keep getting an answer that is incorrect. Any help? Thanks D Maybe it was just a formatting problem. Try a custom format of: [hh]:mm Playhouse pm wrote: > > Hi does anyone know how I can add multiple times togther and get the anser in > hours and minutes. I have formatted the cell for time however when I atosum I > keep getting an answer that is incorrect. Any help? > Thanks > D -- Dave Peterson ...

Recovery after "do not save changes" selected accidently
I mistakenly clicked on "do not save changes" for a worksheet (file) that i'd been working on (I thought a different file was highlighted). As it turns out I had not saved the original file in over a day, though the autosave is set up. is there any way to get my file back, or at least an intermediate version, instead of one with a day's less of work??? help!!!!!! Thanks very much for your help! Sorry to say, but your day's work is gone. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Mayukh" <msukhatme@hotmail.com> wrote in...

can't find form
i have a command button on a form [frmMainMenu] that when clicked, closes that form and opens another [frmFixtureSchedulePrintOptions]. The 2 share the same table as a record source, so i'm doing this to avoid conflicting updates the code behind [frmMainMenu] reads like this (below), and functions correctly DoCmd.Close stDocName = "frmFixtureSchedulePrintOptions" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, acNormal on the new form [frmFixtureSchedulePrintOptions], there is a command button to save to close itself, and open the previous from [frmMainMenu], and the ...

multiple instances of IE on same site
I have winxp and use IE 8. My problem is that I have 2 usernames on some web forums. I used to be able to login using both usernames and have both instances running simultaneously. Now I can't. Everytime I'm logged in and try to initiate another instance the username just changes. It does not allow me to open 2 IEs with 2 usernames at the same time. I'm pretty sure this is just a setting but I don't know where it is. The reason I think it's an IE setting is that when I try to login with a competitor browser as the 2nd user...it allows it. Any help would be gre...

Form Summarys
I want to know if i can write up my form on excel and then on anothe sheet it summarizes it so i have a log of all the forms i send out bu each time i create a new form can it create a new summary underneat the old one ?? Many Thanks:D Ben -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Does this mean that you have certain cells that you want to track? If yes, then you could run a macro when you're done with the form: Option Explicit Option Base 0 Sub testme01() Dim myCellAddresses As Variant Dim FormWks As Worksheet Dim LogWks As Worksheet Dim nextRow As Long D...

Multiple entries in CRM Contacts when viewed from Outlook
Hi everyone, We have an odd problem going on here with this. When we create a new E-mail in Outlook, select the To button and the CRM Contacts, it brings up the list of contacts from CRM that we can select from. All good so far. The problem is that each contact appears several times and it's different for different users. For example, every contact appears 6 times for me. It makes for a very long list. All of them are valid and any one of those 6 can be selected and the address will be correct and it will track against the correct contact. Other users have anywhere from the correc...

recording keystrokes
How do I record keystrokes and then evoke a command to repeat those keystrokes? For instances; I want to change the first word in a numbered list in the document all the way through the document. You cannot record loops with the macro recorder. The following will replace the first word in each paragraph in the selected text with the word(s) defines in sText Sub ReplaceFirstWord() Dim oPara As Paragraph Dim sText As String sText = "Replacement Text" For Each oPara In Selection.Range.Paragraphs oPara.Range.Words(1).Text = sText & Chr(32) Next oPara End ...

Import Customer Records
I am trying to import customer records and I am running into the following error: DOC 1 ERROR: Are you sure you want to delete this customer record? Ln 810 Col 2, Update module, Last CBOM field read was root.'Customer ID', Last window field visited was 'Clear Button' of window 'RM_Customer_Maintenance' of form 'RM_Customer_Maintenance' Any ideas? Thanks! Are you on the latest integration manager service pack? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at h...

using program to record audio comment and compress audio to MP3
I can use VBA to record an audio comment into a Word file using Selection.InlineShapes.AddOLEObject ClassType:="SoundRec", FileName:="", _ LinkToFile:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=True, IconFileName:= _ "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sndrec32.exe", IconIndex:=0, IconLabel:="Wave Sound" BUT but by default the file is stored as a PCM at 44kHz and 16 bit stereo whcih is about 200kB per second Sound recorder (which is used to do the recording) allows me to manually convert this to a MP3 and a much smaller file e.g. 3kB per second Is there any way I can aut...

Pass infomration from a form to a report...
I have a form that displays a certain fields from a specific record. How can the selected values be passed to create a report? From my understanding reports can only get information from tables and queries. How can I query th information from a form? Thank you for any help, George On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:13:31 -0400, George <MyEmail@FakeEmailAddress.com> wrote: >I have a form that displays a certain fields from a specific record. How > can the selected values be passed to create a report? > From my understanding reports can only get information from ta...

How do I read in a record / row from a table.
Hi, I have a form where I need to read in the parameter setting for the current user. I know I can use DLookup but I have to lookup about 14 different parameters off a single row. But that seems quite inefficient. I need to read the record and extract the values from the record / row. Thanks. -- Dennis Dennis Here's one possible approach ... there are many ... You could create a form that is bound to that record, and make the form hidden. You can refer to controls on the form with: Forms!YourForm!YourControl Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft ...

Excluding multiple checking accounts from budget totals?
Howdy! Running Money06, and I have two checking accounts synching through Bank of America. Everything there is working well, but one thing that I dont like is that the totals for BOTH accounts are added together. I have two accounts, 'personal' and 'class', and both accounts are shown in the net balance statements, the 'spending by catagory' chart on the home page etc. I would like to keep synched with my class account, but want it excluded from all of the balances.. any suggestions? "Raichean" <Raichean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Multiple recipients for one address
Total newbie question. I work for a company with a dedicated service department. I need for up to 5 people to be able to get a copy of a message that comes in to the address "servcie@ourdomain.com". I tried adding this address to each of the users, but I can't give one address to multiple users. I don't want to create a "Service" user and have them check that account. I just want the emails to be routed from the service@ address to each users' inbox. Total newbie, so detailed answers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Create a mail-enabled Grou...

Problems Sending Messages to domains w/ multiple MX records
Got a question for the Exchange experts out there. We have a wierd situation occuring where e-mails we send to domains w/ multiple MX records either do not get through or the recipient receives the message multiple times until we manually delete the message in the ESM/Queues. All other messages get through fine. We have come to this conclusion (problem is with multiple MX records) by testing the domains we are having problems w/ using www.dnsstuff.com DNS Lookup tool for MX records. All of them come back w/ multiple MX records. Here is what has changed recently: We moved to a new locat...

Publisher cannot save file???
I am working on a brochure in Publisher. I have tried to save and received the message "Publisher cannot save file". Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated. Carrie No other wording? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Carrie" <Carrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0E3E735-A56A-4D5C-A33E-E89716AA475C@microsoft.com... >I am working on a brochure in Publisher. I have tried to save and received > the message "Publisher cannot save file". Any direction or help would be > greatly appreciated. > >...

Continuous Forms
Hi I have a subform with the records displayed in the Continuous Forms view. On each line, I have a group & a subgroup. Both fields are Combo boxes. What I am trying to do is limit the choice of subgroups to those pertaining to the group shown. I have tried putting code in the On Current event in the form to allow only the correct subgroups in the Combo box, but it seems to take the criteria for the top record & apply it to all the others. This is the code:- Dim strSQL As String strSQL = "SELECT TLK_SubGroups.PK_SubGroup, TLK_SubGroups.TXT_SubAbriv, TLK_SubGroup...