Save data entered into a form

Hi, I am new to access 2003 and  have been training myself. I have created a
form based on 2 tables. I have both bound and unbound boxes within the form.
I have a search command button which allows the user to quickly search
through the records to find the correct record and allows data entry into
each text box  but when i save the form, all the data entered into the form
is lost and the form opens at the first record again. I have tried to apply a
filter which works, but I still cannot save the data entered into the text
box fields.
I am sure it is a simple expression i need to use, but am still very new to
the expression building process. Any information you may be able to provide
would be greatly appreciated.

--
Lyndy

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 15:15:01 -0800, Lyndy <Lyndy@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi, I am new to access 2003 and  have been training myself. I have created a
>form based on 2 tables. I have both bound and unbound boxes within the form.
>I have a search command button which allows the user to quickly search
>through the records to find the correct record and allows data entry into
>each text box  but when i save the form, all the data entered into the form
>is lost and the form opens at the first record again. I have tried to apply a
>filter which works, but I still cannot save the data entered into the text
>box fields.
>I am sure it is a simple expression i need to use, but am still very new to
>the expression building process. Any information you may be able to provide
>would be greatly appreciated.

Have you verified that the underlying table is not getting data? If the data
is in the table but not visible in the Form, you may have set the form's Data
Entry property to Yes - this will let you enter new records but will not show
you existing ones.

If that's not it... What is the Form's Recordsource property? Post the SQL
view. And what are the Control Sources of the textboxes which are losing data?

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 15:15:01 -0800, Lyndy <Lyndy@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi, I am new to access 2003 and  have been training myself. I have created a
> >form based on 2 tables. I have both bound and unbound boxes within the form.
> >I have a search command button which allows the user to quickly search
> >through the records to find the correct record and allows data entry into
> >each text box  but when i save the form, all the data entered into the form
> >is lost and the form opens at the first record again. I have tried to apply a
> >filter which works, but I still cannot save the data entered into the text
> >box fields.
> >I am sure it is a simple expression i need to use, but am still very new to
> >the expression building process. Any information you may be able to provide
> >would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Have you verified that the underlying table is not getting data? If the data
> is in the table but not visible in the Form, you may have set the form's Data
> Entry property to Yes - this will let you enter new records but will not show
> you existing ones.
>
> If that's not it... What is the Form's Recordsource property? Post the SQL
> view. And what are the Control Sources of the textboxes which are losing data?
>

> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .
> Hi John,
 Thanks for your response, i feel i may have not explained things well.
I work for a manufacturer and am setting up a system whereby data can be
entered into the form by different departments. Each department will need to
save their data into the form before it moves on to the next department.
Hence the text box control handles.
The form does retrieve data from the tables well, but wont save the data
imputed as a new form. The table (I hope) will be updated automatically as
the data  for the exisiting records are entered. I have run queries off this
table and it works well, its the forms Im having trouble with.

Post the SQL... if you're basing your form on a query that is based on 2
tables, it's possible that it's not an updatable.  The only way for anyone to
tell is for you to post the SQL...
Open your form in design view, and post the RecordSource for your form....

PieterLinden
2/15/2010 3:11:52 AM
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:44:01 -0800, Lyndy <Lyndy@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for your response, i feel i may have not explained things well.
>I work for a manufacturer and am setting up a system whereby data can be
>entered into the form by different departments. Each department will need to
>save their data into the form before it moves on to the next department.
>Hence the text box control handles.
>The form does retrieve data from the tables well, but wont save the data
>imputed as a new form. The table (I hope) will be updated automatically as
>the data  for the exisiting records are entered. I have run queries off this
>table and it works well, its the forms Im having trouble with.

Well, it would seem that I haven't explained things well either!

*MOST* Access applications involve bound forms: the form's Recordsource is a
table or (more often) a Query; multitable forms will typically use a bound
form with bound subforms. Entering data into the form directly stores that
data in the table. You can use validation rules in the table, and/or code on
the form to ensure that all departments' data get entered in the proper
sequence.

Your approach can certainly be made to work, but it's a lot more laborious,
since you must provide code to do every little thing that Access does for you
automatically with bound forms. If you've demonstrated to your own
satisfaction that bound forms are unable to meet your needs, then you're stuck
- but I'm guessing that you've leapt directly to unbound forms with
programming to move the data. Am I mistaken?
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:44:01 -0800, Lyndy <Lyndy@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your response, i feel i may have not explained things well.
> >I work for a manufacturer and am setting up a system whereby data can be
> >entered into the form by different departments. Each department will need to
> >save their data into the form before it moves on to the next department.
> >Hence the text box control handles.
> >The form does retrieve data from the tables well, but wont save the data
> >imputed as a new form. The table (I hope) will be updated automatically as
> >the data  for the exisiting records are entered. I have run queries off this
> >table and it works well, its the forms Im having trouble with.
>
> Well, it would seem that I haven't explained things well either!
>
> *MOST* Access applications involve bound forms: the form's Recordsource is a
> table or (more often) a Query; multitable forms will typically use a bound
> form with bound subforms. Entering data into the form directly stores that
> data in the table. You can use validation rules in the table, and/or code on
> the form to ensure that all departments' data get entered in the proper
> sequence.
>
> Your approach can certainly be made to work, but it's a lot more laborious,
> since you must provide code to do every little thing that Access does for you
> automatically with bound forms. If you've demonstrated to your own
> satisfaction that bound forms are unable to meet your needs, then you're stuck
> - but I'm guessing that you've leapt directly to unbound forms with
> programming to move the data. Am I mistaken?
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .Hi John,
Sorry for the delay was out of office.
Yes I did jump straight into the programming as you said and as I am not
very understanding of the systm have encountered all these problems. My
form's RecordSource is as follows:

> Products - Transparencies

which is the name of my main table. the second table is an employees list
table.
There are NO data record sources entered into the un bound handles and I now
fear this is where the error is occuring. Do I need to set up another table
which will carry the information entered? I was trying to cut down on the
number of table requirements!

Hello John,
I have just changed the form data record source to run on a query rather
than the table and it now works great!!! Many thanks for your assistance and
patience with a novice like myself.

--
Lyndy

"Lyndy" wrote:

> --
> Lyndy
>

> "John W. Vinson" wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:44:01 -0800, Lyndy <Lyndy@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for your response, i feel i may have not explained things well.
> > >I work for a manufacturer and am setting up a system whereby data can be
> > >entered into the form by different departments. Each department will need to
> > >save their data into the form before it moves on to the next department.
> > >Hence the text box control handles.
> > >The form does retrieve data from the tables well, but wont save the data
> > >imputed as a new form. The table (I hope) will be updated automatically as
> > >the data  for the exisiting records are entered. I have run queries off this
> > >table and it works well, its the forms Im having trouble with.
> >
> > Well, it would seem that I haven't explained things well either!
> >
> > *MOST* Access applications involve bound forms: the form's Recordsource is a
> > table or (more often) a Query; multitable forms will typically use a bound
> > form with bound subforms. Entering data into the form directly stores that
> > data in the table. You can use validation rules in the table, and/or code on
> > the form to ensure that all departments' data get entered in the proper
> > sequence.
> >
> > Your approach can certainly be made to work, but it's a lot more laborious,
> > since you must provide code to do every little thing that Access does for you
> > automatically with bound forms. If you've demonstrated to your own
> > satisfaction that bound forms are unable to meet your needs, then you're stuck
> > - but I'm guessing that you've leapt directly to unbound forms with
> > programming to move the data. Am I mistaken?
> > --
> >
> >              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> > .Hi John,
> Sorry for the delay was out of office.
> Yes I did jump straight into the programming as you said and as I am not
> very understanding of the systm have encountered all these problems. My
> form's RecordSource is as follows:
>
> > Products - Transparencies
>
> which is the name of my main table. the second table is an employees list
> table.
> There are NO data record sources entered into the un bound handles and I now
> fear this is where the error is occuring. Do I need to set up another table
> which will carry the information entered? I was trying to cut down on the
> number of table requirements!

Problems saving a worksheet with Links
Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue ... I have a directory which contains 129 worksheets which have links to external data (in a Master Spreadsheet) -- I need to copy these files into a New Directory, but kee the Master Spreadsheet (which they are linked to) in the original location. If I do a simple Cut & Past, the Reference Link to the Master Spreadsheet gets moved to the New Directory (where the file does not exist), but if I open the worksheet (in the original directory/location) and Save As to the New Directory, the worksheet saved in the New Directory maintains its link t...

Saving User Settings in Outlook...
Hello everyone, Does anyone know how to save the user settings for MS outlook 2003? Thanks to all who reply, Ismael The reason I would like to be able to save the user settings is so I'll be able to restore these settings should I need to in case I had to do a clean install of WinXP and office 2003 either on the same computer of on another newly bought computer. Thanks to all who reply, Ismael "Ismael" <I_Tena@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ueqwqfaHGHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello everyone, > > Does anyone know how to save the user setting...

Passing data from one form to another

Help ! formatting data to text

form and query problem. please help.

Save As using contents of Cell in Name

how do i recover data in publisher
i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked the "ok" button in the window and lost all data . can i recover it Look in a folder in My Documents named "My Data Sources". Publisher data is saved as .mdb(Access) file. Did you try selecting "Edit Address List" in the Mailings and Catalog menu (Tools)? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:690430F1-36DE-47EE-8B7D-DD12A096C075@microsoft.com... >i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked ...

save as version 2003 problem
I'm working in vba in Access to create and save an Excel file. All's good except that one of the workstations this is runnign on is using Office 2007. I'm developing in 2003 and all the other workstatiosn they have are using 2003. It's very important that the files be saved in 2003 format. When I do this, it runs fine and saves as 97/95 objExcelBk.SaveAs sTempPath & sExcelFileName, xlExcel9795 ','56 = xl 2000/2003 I read online in a forum post that "56" is the correct code for saving as 2003 but that's when the code is written in 20...

Using subtotals as single data entries
Sorry about the subject--I couldn't figure out how to describe it simply. I have a large file (16,000 records) of amounts billed by roughly 10,000 service providers. A number of these providers have multiple office locations, so each record is unique to a specific office location. In other words, a provider who billed from 3 different office locations will have 3 entries. Each provider has a unique provider ID number, which stays the same regardless of which office location he is billing from. I want to be able to subtotal the amount billed by each provider for all their office locations...

Enter multiple cash receipt payment methods in Cashbook/BM.
When entering a receipt into cashbook/bank management, there is sometimes a need to receipt the amount as more than one payment type - e.g. cash and cheque. This process is accommodated well in SOP. It would be useful to have this type of procedure included in Bank Management. This is a user request from Pan Pac Forest Products. ...

Retrieving sorted data from same table.
Hi All, I am working on a table (mentioned below) I am looking for a query which can get me the data according to the =93id=94 column with respect to speed. The condition is that I have to get three consecutive entries which have speed > 60 Below is the sample table with data on which I have to retrieve the data on above condition. The output i need can be as given below DVXC002 12/10/09 0:12 96 DVXC002 12/10/09 18:40 89 DVXC002 12/10/09 19:43 65 DVXC005 12/10/09 11:56 69 DVXC005 12/10/09 15:26 62 DVXC005 12/10/09 17:35 85 Need your help urgently....Thanks in advan...

Import directory data into Excel 2003
I have over 1000 media files that I would like to extract information from and put into an Excel spreadsheet. Using Explorer, I have defined the fields I would like to see, such as title, duration, comment etc. Now, I need to import this data into Excel. So far, I've not been able to find a way to do this. Can someone offer some suggestions please? Thanks, Nigel -- www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends www.sysadmininc.com - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking... www.british-expats.com - Connect with British Expats World Wide www.kxez.com/shows_britishinv...

show last data point in chart
Hello, I am charting a range of observations/data points. Is there a way to make the last data point show up differently on the chart (different color/shape)? Thank you. Nathan - > I am charting a range of observations/data points. Is there a way to make the last data point show up differently on the chart (different color/shape)? < Click the charted data once to select the entire data series. Pause. Click the single point to select it. Then use the Format menu. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com Thanks for your reply. Well, that would work if I knew which point on the chart ...

Copy Data from One Group of Cells to Another Group
I have five columns of data on two different sheets in the same workbook. One set of columns is sorted in ascending date order the other in descending date order. When I enter data into the last row of Sheet 1, I need the data in that row in columns A, B, C and D to be copied into Sheet 2 columns A, C, D and E in a newly inserted row 14. Is this possible with the use of a macro? I can find the last cell in Sheet 1, but then need to go up one row and back to column A. I am having difficulty with that. Thanks is advance for any assistance offered! /s/ Alan Auerbach On Sat, 26 May 2007, ...

Showing the perimeter of a set of (X,Y) data!
Good day all, I need to plot the perimeter of a set of data. I have a set of (X,Y) data with error bar and it is a nice mess so I just actually need to see (show) the area were the data can be found. Then hopefully overlay an other set of (X',Y') data and show that they both cover the same surface of existence. i.e this is a set of metrology measurement in X and Y of a part build from different mould. Obviously you get a nice cloud of X and Y but does the new material offer the same 'cloud' ? Thank you I think the easiest way to do this is plot the data on a XY Scatter cha...

Import excel data to outlook calendar
I have found lots of tips to import excel data to the address book, etc, but can't find how to "custom map" or how to import data from an excel spreadsheet into the outlook calendar. Could anyone make any suggestions? Hi Tracy, normally you are in the wrong newsgoup, but I try to help you. - First export the dates from your OL calender to an excel file. - In this file, you can find all the headlines for importing. - If you try to import date, be sure that the headline matches as described before. - Then to the normal job for import in Outlook -- Ich hoffe, das hilft / ...

Registration Entry for External Data Refresh Prompt
Hello, I have several Excel Workbooks with external queries, pivots, etc. I have "ASK TO UPDATE AUTOMATIC LINKS" checked in TOOLS - OPTIONS. But it seems like I still stometimes get asked whether or not I want to update. Particularily I notice when I close the workbook I may get prompted if I want it to automatically update. Is there something I can do so I do not get prompted? Something in the registry perhaps? Thanks for any assistance! ...

How do I get total value data labels in a stacked bar chart?
I have a 3-D stacked bar chart with four series and I want to have the total value in each category be displayed in a data label. Can I do this, and if so, how?? Hi, This should help http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm Cheers Andy blemerson wrote: > I have a 3-D stacked bar chart with four series and I want to have the total > value in each category be displayed in a data label. Can I do this, and if > so, how?? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Thanks, Andy. The CFO is thrilled. Heather "Andy Pope" wrote: > Hi, >...