Run-Time error '94': Invalid Use of Null??????

Hi I have a record lock function in my form which works fine until I click
New Entry, which would normally start a new blank record. I keep getting the
error message...

Run-Time error '94':
Invalid use of Null

If I click Debug it highlights the line...

If recordlock Then

in yellow. This is the bit that is in the Form_Current area.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get rid of it?

The code looks like this but with 99% of all of the fields inserted into it
inc its autonumber.

Private Sub Form_Current()
           operativebutton.Enabled = Not IsNull(operativecombo)
           sitebutton.Enabled = Not IsNull(AddressCombo)

If recordlock Then
  Me.jobnumber.Locked = True
  Me.datereceived.Locked = True

 Else

   Me.jobnumber.Locked = False
   Me.datereceived.Locked = False

 End If

 If Me.recordlock = True Then
  Me.recordlabel.Visible = True
Else
  Me.recordlabel.Visible = False
End If

End Sub

Can anybody help me sort this out? Its the last thing I have to fix and then
my whole db is complete ! :o)

Thank You to anybody that gives it a go!

evilcowstare

Sometime you refer to "it" as "recordlock" and sometime as "Me.recordlock".
I thought it was a function at first but now it may be a control.  What is it?

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
3/24/2007 2:46:44 PM
Hi recordlock is the name of a checkbox

ruralguy wrote:
>Sometime you refer to "it" as "recordlock" and sometime as "Me.recordlock".
>I thought it was a function at first but now it may be a control.  What is it?
>
>>Hi I have a record lock function in my form which works fine until I click
>>New Entry, which would normally start a new blank record. I keep getting the
>[quoted text clipped - 41 lines]
>>
>>Thank You to anybody that gives it a go!

evilcowstare
3/24/2007 2:57:45 PM
It would be a better practice to always refer to the control in a consistant
manner.  My preference is to use the Me. predicate so we can tell is is
probably a control.

<...getting down from soapbox...>
Is your CheckBox bound to a field in a table?  Does that field have a default
value? Which line does the debugger highlight?

evilcowstare wrote:
>Hi recordlock is the name of a checkbox
>
>>Sometime you refer to "it" as "recordlock" and sometime as "Me.recordlock".
>>I thought it was a function at first but now it may be a control.  What is it?
>[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
>>>
>>>Thank You to anybody that gives it a go!

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
3/24/2007 3:08:57 PM
The checkbox has a table field that has no default value and is set up as a
yes/no field
As written above .....

If I click Debug it highlights the line...

If recordlock Then

Thanks if you can help :o)

ruralguy wrote:
>It would be a better practice to always refer to the control in a consistant
>manner.  My preference is to use the Me. predicate so we can tell is is
>probably a control.
>
><...getting down from soapbox...>
>Is your CheckBox bound to a field in a table?  Does that field have a default
>value? Which line does the debugger highlight?
>
>>Hi recordlock is the name of a checkbox
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]

evilcowstare
3/24/2007 3:49:01 PM
Either give your field a default (True of False) or use the Nz() function
when you look at the field.

If Nz(Me.recordlock,0) Then

Which will default a Null to False for the test.

evilcowstare wrote:
>The checkbox has a table field that has no default value and is set up as a
>yes/no field
>As written above .....
>
>If I click Debug it highlights the line...
>
>If recordlock Then
>
>Thanks if you can help :o)
>
>>It would be a better practice to always refer to the control in a consistant
>>manner.  My preference is to use the Me. predicate so we can tell is is
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
3/24/2007 3:59:22 PM
Hi I tried giving it a default and it did nothing and then added on top your
Nz code and it works fine!
Thanks Very much for your help, it was really appreciated. Out of interest
what does Nz mean?
Thank You !!!!

ruralguy wrote:
>Either give your field a default (True of False) or use the Nz() function
>when you look at the field.
>
>If Nz(Me.recordlock,0) Then
>
>Which will default a Null to False for the test.
>
>>The checkbox has a table field that has no default value and is set up as a
>>yes/no field
>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

evilcowstare
3/24/2007 4:11:34 PM
You can look it up in VBA Help.  It is a function to deal with Nulls.

evilcowstare wrote:
>Hi I tried giving it a default and it did nothing and then added on top your
>Nz code and it works fine!
>Thanks Very much for your help, it was really appreciated. Out of interest
>what does Nz mean?
>Thank You !!!!
>
>>Either give your field a default (True of False) or use the Nz() function
>>when you look at the field.
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
3/24/2007 4:22:26 PM
Here's a question: Why does evilcowstare need to add the Nz function to get
his code to work, when I run the identical code (I gave him the hack he's
using yesterday or the day before) and have no problem running it without the
Nz? I've run a number of permutations including adding a new record? Is not
the value of a yes/no checkbox 0 if it's not checked?

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

missinglinq
3/24/2007 7:10:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that until it is checked the first time, the field is a Null.

missinglinq wrote:
>Here's a question: Why does evilcowstare need to add the Nz function to get
>his code to work, when I run the identical code (I gave him the hack he's
>using yesterday or the day before) and have no problem running it without the
>Nz? I've run a number of permutations including adding a new record? Is not
>the value of a yes/no checkbox 0 if it's not checked?

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
3/24/2007 7:17:27 PM
Nope! I don't think so!

Private Sub Form_Current()
 If Me.NewRecord Then
    If IsNull(Me.RecordLock) Then
      Response = MsgBox("It's Null")
    End  If
 End If
End Sub

doesn't throw up the messagebox! On the other hand

Private Sub Form_Current()
 If Me.NewRecord Then
   LockCondition = Me.RecordLock.Value
   Response = MsgBox(LockCondition)
End If
End Sub

pops up a messagebox with Me.RecordLock's value of Zero!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

missinglinq
3/24/2007 8:03:29 PM
Evil,

"Hi I have a record lock function in my form which works fine until I click
New Entry, which would normally start a new blank record. I keep getting the
error message..."

What do you mean by New Entry? Is this a custom command button? If so, what
code do you have behind it?

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

missinglinq
3/24/2007 8:06:00 PM
Do you have a default value for the field set at the table level?

missinglinq wrote:
>Nope! I don't think so!
>
>Private Sub Form_Current()
> If Me.NewRecord Then
>    If IsNull(Me.RecordLock) Then
>      Response = MsgBox("It's Null")
>    End  If
> End If
>End Sub
>
>doesn't throw up the messagebox! On the other hand
>
>Private Sub Form_Current()
> If Me.NewRecord Then
>   LockCondition = Me.RecordLock.Value
>   Response = MsgBox(LockCondition)
>End If
>End Sub
>
>pops up a messagebox with Me.RecordLock's value of Zero!

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
3/24/2007 8:13:01 PM
MissingLinq,
My testing indicates that a Yes/No field without a default is Null until the
record is Dirty.  With a default of No the value is 0 without the record
being Dirty.

missinglinq wrote:
>Nope! I don't think so!
>
>Private Sub Form_Current()
> If Me.NewRecord Then
>    If IsNull(Me.RecordLock) Then
>      Response = MsgBox("It's Null")
>    End  If
> End If
>End Sub
>
>doesn't throw up the messagebox! On the other hand
>
>Private Sub Form_Current()
> If Me.NewRecord Then
>   LockCondition = Me.RecordLock.Value
>   Response = MsgBox(LockCondition)
>End If
>End Sub
>
>pops up a messagebox with Me.RecordLock's value of Zero!

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
3/24/2007 8:24:13 PM
Hi everyone, it all works fine now but for the people that wanted the details.
..

The checkbox is in the table and now has a default value of Null on top of
the code suggested above with the Nz (if i rememeber).
When i was talking about New Entry I just used the wizard on a button to go
to "New Record". It isnt a customised button.
When I did have the problem I also got the same error message when I went to
the Latest record and clicked next, using navigation buttons made with the
wizard.

Not really sure what the EXACT problem was, all I know is with the table
field saying Null as default and the additional Nz code it works fine.

Thanks to everybody for helping !!!
All the best
Jay

ruralguy wrote:
>MissingLinq,
>My testing indicates that a Yes/No field without a default is Null until the
>record is Dirty.  With a default of No the value is 0 without the record
>being Dirty.
>
>>Nope! I don't think so!
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
>>
>>pops up a messagebox with Me.RecordLock's value of Zero!

evilcowstare
3/25/2007 12:12:41 AM
No, RuralGuy! I have no default set at table or form level, and as my code
shows it tests as being zero not null!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

missinglinq
3/25/2007 2:50:05 AM
"Not really sure what the EXACT problem was, all I know is with the table
field saying Null as default and the additional Nz code it works fine."

Curiouser and curiouser! If at table level the default is Null, and by using
the Nz function in the form code it works, then it should work if both of
these are removed, since Nz essentially neutralizes the Null default!

Of course, the main thing is that you go it to work, and sometimes yuou have
to just settle for that!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

missinglinq
3/25/2007 2:55:25 AM
What version of Access are you using?  Here's the code I was using:

Private Sub Form_Current()

If IsNull([Testing]) Then
   MsgBox "Testing is Null"
Else
   MsgBox "Testing = [" & [Testing] & "]"
End If

End Sub

I just used the Nav buttons to change records.  [Testing] is the Yes/No field
in the table.

missinglinq wrote:
>No, RuralGuy! I have no default set at table or form level, and as my code
>shows it tests as being zero not null!

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
3/25/2007 9:36:20 AM
I'm using Access 2000. If you look closely, you'll see that your code simply
combines the the two pieces of code I posted. When I run yours, the
messagebox pops up stating that Testing = 0! As I said, no defaults are set
at any level.

Ain't Access just grand!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

missinglinq
3/25/2007 10:42:34 AM
LOL if it helps im using Access 2002.
Seems to be just something stupid that Access is having a laugh with, Im just
happy the error is gone :o)
Maybe it was just going on strike over all the code and stuff I have been
making it work out lately, its always the very last thing that you need to do
when it finds fault. Oh well, its all done and complete now, thanks to
everyone that gave me help when I got stuck, especially you missinglinq, your
code saved me more then once :o)
Hope you all have a fab weekend
All the best
Jay

missinglinq wrote:
>I'm using Access 2000. If you look closely, you'll see that your code simply
>combines the the two pieces of code I posted. When I run yours, the
>messagebox pops up stating that Testing = 0! As I said, no defaults are set
>at any level.
>
>Ain't Access just grand!

evilcowstare
3/25/2007 12:56:20 PM
It has to be something M$ changed between ac2K and acXP.  Go figure.

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
3/25/2007 2:03:44 PM
OMG! You mean M$ would just arbitrarily change something?

Of course,  maybe it's caused by acXP being used in the rarified atmosphere
at an altitude of 8300 feet!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

missinglinq
3/25/2007 2:27:34 PM
I know the altitude affects me and cooking but I don't think it affects
Access.

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy

Using rules wizard to send to a list of emails addys in BCC
i need to setup an automatic mailing of a newsletter that i receive, to be forwarded to a list of emails addresses, where the emails are inserted into the BCC line, and not the TO line. I do not want my clients to see each other's emails. thanks! No, natively you can't. Even when you use a template to reply with and fill in the BCC field it won't work. It is even worse this way; the rule gets deactivated completely. But programmatically it is possible although not supported by Microsoft. For more info; http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/autobcc.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [M...

Running Money 2003 in Vista

Time Series
I have about 30000 lines of data that looks like so: Time Count 93000 447 93001 1020 93002 1438 93003 2177 93004 3042 93005 3467 93006 2913 93007 3341 93008 3547 93009 2908 93010 3512 93011 4090 Where ColA is time. I am having trouble creating a graph with time on the x-axis and count on the y-axis. Thank you in advance. You need to make an XY chart But with 30,000 data points you could run into trouble; Help says you can 32,000 data points in a single data series. However, if you want markers it will look like heck. You could limit the data like this: assume y-values in B2:B30001 in ...

Errors saving to network drive

Using scanner in Word97

Using later version of microsoft access

Separating Date and Time in a cell

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

Dynamic Range Selection Using VBA

Error loading XML into DataSet

Multivalue with Null value SSRS 2005
I have a query to populate a multivalue parameter: SELECT distinct cast(AGRPYear.value as varchar(4)) + AGRPMonth.value 'ReportDate' FROM TPROJECT AS TPROJECT One of the values that is returned from this query is NULL. However, when I run the report, the NULL value does not show in the dropdown. I've also tried adding "select NULL as 'ReportDate' union" to the above query and the null value still doesn't show. As a result some of the records in my database have a null value for this field, they will never show up on my report. Any id...

Run time error 5 : HQClient

LNK2001 and LNK2019 errors with template class
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00BB_01C695ED.3958DA70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a smart pointer class that uses template functions that works = fine under VC6 but it not linking under VS2005. 1>TestGridToolkitView.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol = "void __cdecl PrismGCSmartPointer(class CPrismSmartPointer<class = CDialog> &)" = (?PrismGCSmartPointer@@YAXAAV?$CPrismSmartPointer@VCDialog@@@@@Z) = referenced in function "protected: __...

Money 04 runs very slow
file size is 17,480 kb, about 5 years data. Machine is a P4 2.2 GHz, 512 mb ram. Money runs very slow, processing downloaded statements, switching screens, etc. I switched from Quicken about a year ago. That didn't run nearly this slow. Any ideas? Will trimming the file size help at all or much? Thanks Ideas? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=4. Trimming? Most people haven't had great luck trying this through means like File|Archive--which, by the way, I'd discourage for any number of reasons. "Tom Orlando" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

delivery failure error
"The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to" then says user unknown, even though other comupters don't have that problem. I get this error for a few clients, yet other clients can email the same address. I have Windows small business server 2000, I am pretty sure everything has updated patches. I know i security updates automatically. My clients are an updated Windows XP SR 1 with Office 2003(outlook) SR1. ...

on Writexml error
(Type your message here) Hi all, I have a XML file as a datasource. I read that file using dataset.readxml.Then in that dataset I make some changes. Now I want to write that changed dataset by overwriting the file that was created initially. I someone please tell me how to do it. -------------------------------- From: ratnesh gupta ----------------------- Posted by a user from .NET 247 (http://www.dotnet247.com/) <Id>sCyOfoucUUyYsxAsNxg9AA==</Id> ...

Excel error 1706

Error with Bold
What's wrong? With Worksheets("Recent") Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, 2)).Font.FontStyle = "Bold" End with Take a look at the activesheet. I bet that range is bolded. But if you want Recent to be the sheet with the change, add a couple of dots. With Worksheets("Recent") .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(1, 2)).Font.FontStyle = "Bold" End With Without those dots, the range refers to the activesheet (if the code is in a general module). crapit wrote: > > What's wrong? > With Worksheets("Recent") > Range(Cells(1...

Oulook 2003 dial up sync errors
we are using outlook 2003 will all current updates insatlled and are using cashed exchange mode. our operating system is windows 2000 SP4 with all the current updates as well. when the user connects and hits f9 to sync we get the following error in the sync log (i have run detect and repair and removed and recreated the users outlook profile) any suggestions??: 18:57:44 Synchronizer Version 11.0.5604 18:57:44 Could not connect to public folder server. 18:57:44 [8004011D-526-80040115-0] 18:57:44 The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are networ...

Error loading outlook 2003
Hey Guys need a little help I'm running office 2003 with outlook, I'm using my own exchange server, everytime I load up outlook on one of my workstations it loads up fine until I hit the inbox, once I do that Outlook closes down, I check in the event view and got this error message: "The MOF file created for the outlook service could not be loaded. The error code returned by the MOF Complier is contained in the Record Data. Before the performance counters of this service can be collected by WMI the MOF file will need to be loaded manually." Anyone know a fix inste...