Problem with versions of word and outlook

Hi

My access app uses word and outlook references which I can not get rid of
due to certain features that my app has. I have this problem that I need to
send me app to various clients who have varying versions of outlook and word
and thus my app fails to run. Is there anyway my app can find the versions
of outlook/word at start-up and readjust links to appropriate versions of
outlook/word before continuing? If not, is there another way to fix this
problem?

Many thanks. Any help would be appreciated. I am really stuck.

Regards

0
John

Whoa: no need to include so many newsgroups!

Consider using Late Binding, so that you don't need to set any references.
When you go to instantiate the object, you'll get an Error 429 if the user
doesn't have any version of the product.

Tony Toews has an introduction to the topic at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/latebinding.htm

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> My access app uses word and outlook references which I can not get rid of
> due to certain features that my app has. I have this problem that I need
> to send me app to various clients who have varying versions of outlook and
> word and thus my app fails to run. Is there anyway my app can find the
> versions of outlook/word at start-up and readjust links to appropriate
> versions of outlook/word before continuing? If not, is there another way
> to fix this problem?
>
> Many thanks. Any help would be appreciated. I am really stuck.
>
> Regards

0
Douglas
6/19/2007 8:59:40 PM
Thanks but can't use lat binding as I am using WithEvents to receive back
outlook and word events.

Regards

> Whoa: no need to include so many newsgroups!
>
> Consider using Late Binding, so that you don't need to set any references.
> When you go to instantiate the object, you'll get an Error 429 if the user
> doesn't have any version of the product.
>
> Tony Toews has an introduction to the topic at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/latebinding.htm
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> My access app uses word and outlook references which I can not get rid of
>> due to certain features that my app has. I have this problem that I need
>> to send me app to various clients who have varying versions of outlook
>> and word and thus my app fails to run. Is there anyway my app can find
>> the versions of outlook/word at start-up and readjust links to
>> appropriate versions of outlook/word before continuing? If not, is there
>> another way to fix this problem?
>>
>> Many thanks. Any help would be appreciated. I am really stuck.
>>
>> Regards

0
John
6/19/2007 9:17:07 PM
Thanks. How do you 'Use a generic reference'? I use the reference by ticking
in the appropriate ones in the list of references under Tools->References in
code windows. There are only specific versioned references only such as
Outlook 8 or 9 etc. Sorry for being naive.

Thanks again

Regards

"James A. Fortune" <MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com> wrote in message
> John wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> My access app uses word and outlook references which I can not get rid of
>> due to certain features that my app has. I have this problem that I need
>> to send me app to various clients who have varying versions of outlook
>> and word and thus my app fails to run. Is there anyway my app can find
>> the versions of outlook/word at start-up and readjust links to
>> appropriate versions of outlook/word before continuing? If not, is there
>> another way to fix this problem?
>>
>> Many thanks. Any help would be appreciated. I am really stuck.
>>
>> Regards
>
> I work in a company that uses multiple versions of Office software.  I
> develop in A97 and convert the database (usually to A2K format).  Use a
> generic reference such as "Outlook.Application" without any version
> information whether using early binding (e.g.,
> CreateObject("Word.Application")) or late binding (e.g., Dim objWord As
> New Word.Application).  Access will open the appropriate version of the
> Office program requested if it exists.
>
> James A. Fortune
> MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
>
> If we can't identify your admin code, we will by default run it as
> Standard User.  So it's time to mark that admin code.  Going forward, the
> correct way to mark admin code is to build an application manifest, which
> is just a little piece of XML that says the requested run level of this
> application is admin.  And you attach that to the exe and then you sign
> it.  Now that's not going to harm that exe when you run it on XP, it will
> be ignored.  --  Steve Hiskey, PDC05 FUN406

0
John
6/19/2007 9:42:54 PM
John wrote:
> Hi
>
> My access app uses word and outlook references which I can not get rid of
> due to certain features that my app has. I have this problem that I need to
> send me app to various clients who have varying versions of outlook and word
> and thus my app fails to run. Is there anyway my app can find the versions
> of outlook/word at start-up and readjust links to appropriate versions of
> outlook/word before continuing? If not, is there another way to fix this
> problem?
>
> Many thanks. Any help would be appreciated. I am really stuck.
>
> Regards

I work in a company that uses multiple versions of Office software.  I
develop in A97 and convert the database (usually to A2K format).  Use a
generic reference such as "Outlook.Application" without any version
information whether using early binding (e.g.,
CreateObject("Word.Application")) or late binding (e.g., Dim objWord As
New Word.Application).  Access will open the appropriate version of the
Office program requested if it exists.

James A. Fortune
MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com

If we can't identify your admin code, we will by default run it as
Standard User.  So it's time to mark that admin code.  Going forward,
the correct way to mark admin code is to build an application manifest,
which is just a little piece of XML that says the requested run level of
this application is admin.  And you attach that to the exe and then you
sign it.  Now that's not going to harm that exe when you run it on XP,
it will be ignored.  --  Steve Hiskey, PDC05 FUN406
0
James
6/19/2007 10:30:26 PM
I can't be at al client sites. Often I need to email the MED to them and it
fails on the other side if their versions of Outlook/Word are different than
mine.

I wonder if there is a way to programmatically;

1. Find the version of Outlook/Word on current PC and

2. Set the reference to the relevant Outlook/Word version (just like we do
using Tools->Reference menu).

Thanks

> John wrote:
>> Thanks. How do you 'Use a generic reference'? I use the reference by
>> ticking in the appropriate ones in the list of references under
>> Tools->References in code windows. There are only specific versioned
>> references only such as Outlook 8 or 9 etc. Sorry for being naive.
>
> I see I misunderstood the question.  How about: In A97, I simply set the
> reference to the existing one for Word or Outlook.  When I convert the
> database on the user's machine, Access picks up the correct references.
> Thus, you can come up with a version that works in Office XP, another that
> works in Office 2003, etc.  Is that an option?
>
> James A. Fortune
> MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
>
> Shoot the duck.  Blaam!  Let's try this again, shall we? -- Daffy Duck

0
John
6/19/2007 11:13:24 PM
John wrote:
> I can't be at al client sites. Often I need to email the MED to them
> and it fails on the other side if their versions of Outlook/Word are
> different than mine.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to programmatically;
>
> 1. Find the version of Outlook/Word on current PC and
>
> 2. Set the reference to the relevant Outlook/Word version (just like
> we do using Tools->Reference menu).

Use late binding.  No reference needed and in almost all cases any version
works.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
6/19/2007 11:19:29 PM
John wrote:
> Thanks. How do you 'Use a generic reference'? I use the reference by ticking
> in the appropriate ones in the list of references under Tools->References in
> code windows. There are only specific versioned references only such as
> Outlook 8 or 9 etc. Sorry for being naive.

I see I misunderstood the question.  How about: In A97, I simply set the
reference to the existing one for Word or Outlook.  When I convert the
database on the user's machine, Access picks up the correct references.
  Thus, you can come up with a version that works in Office XP, another
that works in Office 2003, etc.  Is that an option?

James A. Fortune
MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com

Shoot the duck.  Blaam!  Let's try this again, shall we? -- Daffy Duck
0
James
6/19/2007 11:44:14 PM
Can't use late binding because I am using WithEvents in my code.

Thanks

Regards

"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> John wrote:
>> I can't be at al client sites. Often I need to email the MED to them
>> and it fails on the other side if their versions of Outlook/Word are
>> different than mine.
>>
>> I wonder if there is a way to programmatically;
>>
>> 1. Find the version of Outlook/Word on current PC and
>>
>> 2. Set the reference to the relevant Outlook/Word version (just like
>> we do using Tools->Reference menu).
>
> Use late binding.  No reference needed and in almost all cases any version
> works.
>
> --
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
John
6/19/2007 11:50:41 PM
John wrote:
> Can't use late binding because I am using WithEvents in my code.

Is that vital?  Sounds a bit like you have mutually exclusive requirements.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
Rick
6/20/2007 12:01:58 AM
You *might* be able to do that by first going through an outside program.
For example, create a program in VB, or even another Access database that
opens your main database and sets the references appropriately, using the
References Collection.  I know I played with it some time back, but I don't
remember whether I was able to get it to work properly or not.  It's
definitely non-trivial, but if no other solution presents itself, it may
work.

Rob

>I can't be at al client sites. Often I need to email the MED to them and it
>fails on the other side if their versions of Outlook/Word are different
>than mine.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to programmatically;
>
> 1. Find the version of Outlook/Word on current PC and
>
> 2. Set the reference to the relevant Outlook/Word version (just like we do
> using Tools->Reference menu).
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
>
> "James A. Fortune" <MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com> wrote in message
>> John wrote:
>>> Thanks. How do you 'Use a generic reference'? I use the reference by
>>> ticking in the appropriate ones in the list of references under
>>> Tools->References in code windows. There are only specific versioned
>>> references only such as Outlook 8 or 9 etc. Sorry for being naive.
>>
>> I see I misunderstood the question.  How about: In A97, I simply set the
>> reference to the existing one for Word or Outlook.  When I convert the
>> database on the user's machine, Access picks up the correct references.
>> Thus, you can come up with a version that works in Office XP, another
>> that works in Office 2003, etc.  Is that an option?
>>
>> James A. Fortune
>> MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
>>
>> Shoot the duck.  Blaam!  Let's try this again, shall we? -- Daffy Duck

0
Robert
6/20/2007 12:12:15 AM
I think that's possible. I remember doing that during the transition to
Office 97. You can run some startup code that checks for missing references.
If you find missing ones, run through your list of possible references until
you find a match. You have to get the code working in an environment where
the references are missing, so you can test what runs successfully.

You might also have some luck by using the oldest possible references. I
think each version of Office can check to replace older references with
newer ones.

For both cases, setting up some virtual PC's can give you a valuable
test/development environment.

I have some sample code which was working when I last had to deal with this
issue. I'm sending that in a zip file to your email address since it's too
large to include here.

"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>I can't be at al client sites. Often I need to email the MED to them and it
>fails on the other side if their versions of Outlook/Word are different
>than mine.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to programmatically;
>
> 1. Find the version of Outlook/Word on current PC and
>
> 2. Set the reference to the relevant Outlook/Word version (just like we do
> using Tools->Reference menu).
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
>
> "James A. Fortune" <MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com> wrote in message
>> John wrote:
>>> Thanks. How do you 'Use a generic reference'? I use the reference by
>>> ticking in the appropriate ones in the list of references under
>>> Tools->References in code windows. There are only specific versioned
>>> references only such as Outlook 8 or 9 etc. Sorry for being naive.
>>
>> I see I misunderstood the question.  How about: In A97, I simply set the
>> reference to the existing one for Word or Outlook.  When I convert the
>> database on the user's machine, Access picks up the correct references.
>> Thus, you can come up with a version that works in Office XP, another
>> that works in Office 2003, etc.  Is that an option?
>>
>> James A. Fortune
>> MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
>>
>> Shoot the duck.  Blaam!  Let's try this again, shall we? -- Daffy Duck

0
Paul
6/20/2007 1:19:04 AM
Thanks Paul. Just take out the nospam from email address.

Thanks again

Regards

"Paul Shapiro" <paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote in message
>I think that's possible. I remember doing that during the transition to
>Office 97. You can run some startup code that checks for missing
>references. If you find missing ones, run through your list of possible
>references until you find a match. You have to get the code working in an
>environment where the references are missing, so you can test what runs
>successfully.
>
> You might also have some luck by using the oldest possible references. I
> think each version of Office can check to replace older references with
> newer ones.
>
> For both cases, setting up some virtual PC's can give you a valuable
> test/development environment.
>
> I have some sample code which was working when I last had to deal with
> this issue. I'm sending that in a zip file to your email address since
> it's too large to include here.
>
> "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I can't be at al client sites. Often I need to email the MED to them and
>>it fails on the other side if their versions of Outlook/Word are different
>>than mine.
>>
>> I wonder if there is a way to programmatically;
>>
>> 1. Find the version of Outlook/Word on current PC and
>>
>> 2. Set the reference to the relevant Outlook/Word version (just like we
>> do using Tools->Reference menu).
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> "James A. Fortune" <MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I see I misunderstood the question.  How about: In A97, I simply set the
>>> reference to the existing one for Word or Outlook.  When I convert the
>>> database on the user's machine, Access picks up the correct references.
>>> Thus, you can come up with a version that works in Office XP, another
>>> that works in Office 2003, etc.  Is that an option?
>>>
>>> James A. Fortune
>>> MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
>>>
>>> Shoot the duck.  Blaam!  Let's try this again, shall we? -- Daffy Duck

0
John
6/20/2007 2:47:36 AM
John wrote:
> I can't be at al client sites. Often I need to email the MED to them and it
> fails on the other side if their versions of Outlook/Word are different than
> mine.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to programmatically;
>
> 1. Find the version of Outlook/Word on current PC and
>
> 2. Set the reference to the relevant Outlook/Word version (just like we do
> using Tools->Reference menu).
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

Those are interesting questions.

To get the version of Office or Word/Outlook, you could test for the
existence of the following folders in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Word
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Outlook

There's some registry code here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/msg/c149fec6f6d5b594

BTW, for .pdf files, the code posted in the cited URL did not work on
all machines in the company so I hybridized the function to use that key
when available and to revert back to my old technique when the key is
not available.

I got my descriptions for early and late binding mixed up earlier.  I
should have examined which one requires Dim ... As Object for late
binding.  Rough day.  I'm not sure how you would set the reference in
code once you have the Office version.  Maybe Googling will produce that.

James A. Fortune
MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
James
6/20/2007 2:58:31 AM
You can't change a reference in an MDE.

You can't use an 8 reference with a 9/10/11
version: that is like using an Excel reference
instead of a Word reference. MS made a mistake
with 9, it and all following references are
not compatible with 8.

If you need 8,9 and an MDE, use VB6 to create
an object that exposes all of the Word and
Outlook methods and properties you use, and
connects them on initialisation to real Word
and Outlook objects...

(david)

John wrote:
> Hi
>
> My access app uses word and outlook references which I can not get rid of
> due to certain features that my app has. I have this problem that I need to
> send me app to various clients who have varying versions of outlook and word
> and thus my app fails to run. Is there anyway my app can find the versions
> of outlook/word at start-up and readjust links to appropriate versions of
> outlook/word before continuing? If not, is there another way to fix this
> problem?
>
> Many thanks. Any help would be appreciated. I am really stuck.
>
> Regards

0
DAVID
6/20/2007 5:45:21 AM
Hi,
I think best approach for you - is to make MDE version for each combination
of outlook/access and then install appropriate version at client
you can also try to use reference to lowest version of outlook/work, if some
case it will work with later versions, but to be sure - use separate
versions

--
Best regards,
___________

> Thanks but can't use lat binding as I am using WithEvents to receive back
> outlook and word events.
>
> Regards
>
> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
>> Whoa: no need to include so many newsgroups!
>>
>> Consider using Late Binding, so that you don't need to set any
>> references. When you go to instantiate the object, you'll get an Error
>> 429 if the user doesn't have any version of the product.
>>
>> Tony Toews has an introduction to the topic at
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/latebinding.htm
>>
>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no private e-mails, please)
>>

>> "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> My access app uses word and outlook references which I can not get rid
>>> of due to certain features that my app has. I have this problem that I
>>> need to send me app to various clients who have varying versions of
>>> outlook and word and thus my app fails to run. Is there anyway my app
>>> can find the versions of outlook/word at start-up and readjust links to
>>> appropriate versions of outlook/word before continuing? If not, is there
>>> another way to fix this problem?
>>>
>>> Many thanks. Any help would be appreciated. I am really stuck.
>>>
>>> Regards

0
Alex
6/20/2007 6:25:49 AM
Why are you using withevents?

Regards,
Tom Bizannes
Microsoft Access Development
Sydney Australia
http://www.smartbiz.com.au

0
SmartbizAustralia

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Excel button problem

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Question -Problem

AD Sync problem

WCF Client serialization problem

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

message delivery problems

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

using the journal on outlook