New page - Locking fields on a form in Microsoft Access

In some situations you may want to lock the fields on a form unless the user
explicitly choose to update the transactions.   While you could set the forms Allow
Edits property to false this doesn't work for subforms.  Other wierdnesses happen but
I can't recall exactly what right at the moment.  This solution shows how a call to a
public subroutine passing a few parameters handles this situation.

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/locking_fields_on_a_form.htm
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Yes, I find that approach useful too, Tony.

My approach is slightly different:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-56.html
Instead of using the Tag property, it locks everything except those you
explicitly exclude, and calls subforms recursively.

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> In some situations you may want to lock the fields on a form unless the
> user
> explicitly choose to update the transactions.   While you could set the
> forms Allow
> Edits property to false this doesn't work for subforms.  Other wierdnesses
> happen but
> I can't recall exactly what right at the moment.  This solution shows how
> a call to a
> public subroutine passing a few parameters handles this situation.
>
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/locking_fields_on_a_form.htm
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>   Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>   Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>   Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
Allen

Print Footer with Last Print Date field name
How do you create a Footer to print the Last Printed Date and Last Revised Date? Its not as obvious in Excel as it is in Word. Hi this is only possible with VBA inserting this information within an event procedure -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Ted wrote: > How do you create a Footer to print the Last Printed Date and Last > Revised Date? Its not as obvious in Excel as it is in Word. ...

New CRM installation
just a quick question that I'm struggling with. I assume that it's possible, when installing a new CRM installation Outlook client, that it's possible to import all the cotnacts that were already created in Outlook? Situation: I have a client who has about 1000+ outlook contacts created and wants to get all of these problemless in CRM. I think that this is a very simple feature but can't find the answer nonetheless how this exactly works. Thanks. There are two simple options: You can export his Outlook contacts to a csv file and clean it up, then use the import wizar...

Building a Query by Form Interface
Hello, I'm trying to create a method where a user selects some criteria in a form and a query then generates the results. I have been able to pass numbers successfully in the query but not text. If anyone has an easy way of developing this let me know. The code below works for numbers but not text Help me please. Function BuildSQLString(strSQL As String) As Boolean Dim strSELECT As String Dim strFROM As String Dim strWHERE As String strSELECT = "s.*" strFROM = "UFRRecords s " If Check2 Then strWHERE = strWHERE & " s.[FlagField1] = " & Combo0 End I...

PropertySheet/Pages into Dialog
Hi ! I'm trying to use a PropertySheet embedded into a CDialog. My dialog contains a Frame with a vertical Splitter. On the left side of the splitter, I use a CFormView. This formView contains the propertySheet (I also replaced the propertySheet's tabControl by a group of radio buttons). If I change the active property page (by selecting another radio button than the default one) my property pages, views and dialog all keeps recieving WM_SYSTIMER messages. Then, as soon as the application looses the focus, the program hangs... This does not happen if the dialog keeps the focus ... I ...

The data in my form is changing after the status is closed
I have a form which is based on a query for invoicing. I have some client who have been invoiced for their service and not their status is closed. If this person returns as a client and I set the new contract year and I go to the invoicing form to invoice for their new serivce the prior year contract year information for the service which has already been closed is no longer there. I want to keep this data as read only, but still be able to add new information. ...

Microsoft Sale$15.99up Computers ,Software,Hardware,Visual,Gaming
Microsoft Sale$15.99up Computers ,Software,Hardware,Visual,Gaming http://microsofthelper.itgo.com/ From $15.99 - up Computers,Note Books,Software,Hardware,Gaming,Visual,PDA's and more Free shipping and handling for a limited time! Brand new store! GREAT COMPUTER DEALS! http://microsofthelper.itgo.com/ Closing thread -- Phil Melek Microsoft Corp. ...

Filter for Same Value in Two Fields
There are two fields in my query. "From" and "To". For sake of ease, let's say both these fields are US Cities. How can I pull all the records that show shipped "From" Denver and that show shipped "To" Denver? Thank you in advance. You stated: shipped "From" Denver and that show shipped "To" Denver Technically this would mean both values were Denver which might not make much sense if you expected the From and To to be different. Assuming you are viewing your query in design view, you would type "Denver" und...

Upgrade 9 to 10 only work if update instance, not if new instance
I'm testing a GP 9 to 10 upgraded on a test server. Everything installs; however, GP Utilities will bomb out if I created a new instance when installing 10. There is no error message, it just fails. If I do an update to the 9 instance, it works fine. Why should this make any difference? It's the only thing I'm changing in the two installs. Thanks Not sure I understand. What do you mean by "instance"? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster...

How do I get rid of header/footer on page 2 of document?
the help menu says to click on header/footer, then toggle to new, then highlight text you want to get rid of, then hit delete key. I did that but all the header/footers throughout the document got deleted. How do I get to keep only the header/footer on page 1? TIA Fay Please see reply to your previous duplicate question. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Fay Zeller" <fayzee@optonline.net> wrote in message news:4b16f1f1$0$31281$607ed4bc@cv.net... > the help menu says to click...

how I can sum or subtract 2 or 3 field in access in any record
hi I want know that why there is NOT any relationship between access and excel and how I can sum and subtract 2 or 3 filds in access in any record thanks hadi_khodaparast@yahoo.com Hello Hadi - I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking, but Excel is *not* a 'front end' for an Access database. You can use Excel to query the db & copy Access data into a workbook in several ways. That copy of the data can be used for calculations, but the data *doesn't* get changed in the Access file. Although the modified results can be imported to Access it may very well be t...

Microsoft Office 2000 Publisher
On my old computer using Windows 98 I had Publisher and some .pub files. On my new computer using XP, I loaded the Office Suite, but I no longer see Publisher. I still have the other Office programs, but even Setup doesn't show Publisher anymore. I need Publisher to see and work with my .pub files, but can't. How do I get Publisher back? Which version and edition of Office did you try to install? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "GJ" <GJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Saving a record on a form to multiple places
Here is what I think will be an easy question, but im not sure... Lets say I have a databasee, which i do. Lets say that on my main form, I have a text box called "company". On the same form, I have command buttons that link to other forms that have to do with this company, but they are too numerous to put all on subforms within this form, as I was instructed to make the forms less cluttered. When I enter a new company's name in the text box, as if im adding it for the first time, I would like it to update that field to other tables as well, which all contain that companies n...

Writing a book in Microsoft Publisher
I am currently writing a book using Microsoft Publisher and wanted to know how to link the pages of the book together. \the only provisions in publisher is to link four pages together and this does not work for something that is above that number of pages. Since this is named Publisher, I figured one could at least use it to write small or large pubications, with out have to go through ninety gyrations. I need help, or is it that you really can't use Publisher for a publication . For long documents Word is preferable. You will have to link each text box in Publisher, you can link a...

Timer event on forms
I have an Access 2002 db and while building a rather complicated report I would like the users to see a progress bar or timer that lets the user know that the system is working. I built a ‘lazy mans’ progress bar using objects and making them visible at various points in the process. There are about 10 steps which utilize DoCmd.RunSQL. If I try and add a timer event to show a progress bar the SQL running takes over the CPU and the event does not run or refresh. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time. Mark I solved my own problem. The timer event was in a loop and did not give focus to ...

Dafaults for new Worksheets
I have a file that I continually add worksheets to. With each new worksheet I have to reset the page set-up with regards to margins; header and footers etc. I assumed that copying a correct worksheet to the new one would simply copy over all my requirements but it doesn't. Can this be done once in the file instead of each new worksheet Thanks Hi John you can create a teplmate for new sheets/workbooks. Have a look at the Excel help for 'Templates' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany John wrote: > I have a file that I continually add worksheets to. With each new >...

My (final) 2 cents on continuous form design
Some days ago I started a thread on this forum regarding the design of a continuous form to be used to show all of the records filled in a table and giving the possibility to the user to select each row and perform action on the record (mine is retrieving all of the information from the record and use them to fill another form where the data can be edited). This can be easily accomplished through regular continuous form but I stated few requirements: a) the form should be unbound and the data should be not editable; b) I hate having that crappy effect of all the text selected whe...

RE: Mailbox Access
I have created a generic user account and mailbox. I have added users to this mailbox. These users are able to open up the mailbox in outlook. I have disabled the primary user account of the mailbox. Now the users are not able to access the mailbox. Does the primary user account have to enabled for users to be able to access the mailbox? Yep thats correct. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "wbmcse" <wbmcse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:349A8A84-3049-4212-9B92-B02542749D8E@microsoft.co...

New to XML services book recommendation please
Hi all, I am about to move into programming using an xml web services model. The first thing I need to know is whether you can use them privately within a corporate LAN, or whether you need to be connected to the internet for something. Secondly I'd like a good book recommendation (I'm in the UK). The documentation online is a minefield if you aren't familiar with the whole ..net framework. I am very comfortable with C++ and the traditional framework model. I understand the reason for the XML services model but none of the specifics regarding implementation. I also know next to ...

Business Portal page modification
I created a new page in business portal with 3 columns and included the "link" webpart in the 3 columns, the idea being that I can define links to various documents on my network in these 3 columns. The issue is that the 3 columns are identical. If I define a link in column 1, the link shows up in columns 2 and 3. I see there with shared document webpart too. What can I do so that I can define different documents in each of the columns. Hi Jack, Personally, I would create three separate document libraries and then specify those webparts for each of the three columns of y...

repeating custom headers on multiple pages
H I apologize in advance for such a stupid question but i have searched every help file and cant find any mention I have a workbook with 5 sheets and i want the same custom heading to print on each sheet I tried selecting all sheets going into print preview and adding the header but it only prints on the first page my brain refuses to believe that i actually have to go to each sheet and retype the header and footer please tell me i am wrong and also how i can accomplish this task ti Jeff Jeff, Using Headers and Footers should repeat the header on every page. Care to contact me and discuss i...

Use the critical pack from the Microsoft Corp.
--zhgnareqkgrzm Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="yuqjzsfeerdzue"; type="multipart/alternative" --yuqjzsfeerdzue Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locativavdwrafmhc" --locativavdwrafmhc Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer fr...

How to Microsoft Publisher 2000 install with XP
How do I install Microsoft Publisher from the total Office 2000 CD on my new laptop running XP Professional? I need full instructions. From what has been stated here in the past, put CD #2 in the CD drive and follow the instructions. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Bev" <Bev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3E6D722-A5B2-49E7-9BC6-1DC958BB5A15@microsoft.com... > How do I install Microsoft Publisher from the total Office 2000 CD on my > new > laptop running XP Professional? I need full instructions. ...

importing old money info into new PC with money 2004
group, We bought a new PC, installed MS money 2004, and now want to import the records from the old box to the new one. Does any one know the path for doing so. Thank you, Dave- In microsoft.public.money, David U. wrote: > We bought a new PC, installed MS money 2004, and now >want to import the records from the old box to the new >one. Does any one know the path for doing so. If you can do it easily, copy the .mny file to the new box into your Documents folder. Double-click it in Windows Exp...

Access Forms using Word as Base
I would like to create a form to input information into an Access database. I would like to have the Access form resemble the Word fillable form as much as possible. Please let me know if there is a way to use the design of the Word form as an Access input form or if I have to design the Access input form from scratch. We are running Access 2002 on an xp machine. Thanks and have a great weekend!! Ken -- akkrug You can use a bitmap image of a Word form as a guide to placement of the controls on a Access form, but the only way that you can use a Word form with Access ...

unable to access any featuress on Live mail
I downloaded latest version overnight. it has uploaded all the mail and files, and looks for changes (receive new mails). When i try to click on anything in th live mail screen, I cannot (seems frozen screen) nothing is able to be activited by clicking over any feature in the Live mail. I also cannot click on any dropdowns etc to close out in the top right. Any suggestions ? I have been accessing my hotmail account without any errors prior to this through web and ive messenger. thanks ...