Need an unbound text box and command button (Search)

I need to create an unbound text box with a command button (Search) on my
form which will enable the user to find the current record for a space no. I
would like the user to only have to type in the space no.

My fields are:
SpaceNo
Current "Yes"

I am not experienced at writing code.

Thanks so much.

Uschi

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 23:09:36 GMT, "Uschi via AccessMonster.com"
<u25116@uwe> wrote:

If you don't write code, it may be easier to instruct the users to hit
Ctrl+F on the SpaceNo field, and enter the value they want to search
for.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>I need to create an unbound text box with a command button (Search) on my
>form which will enable the user to find the current record for a space no. I
>would like the user to only have to type in the space no.
>
>My fields are:
>SpaceNo
>Current "Yes"
>
>I am not experienced at writing code.
>
>Thanks so much.
0
Tom
11/26/2009 4:43:05 AM
Tom,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

My users have limited computer skills. The Find command is creating a BIG
problem because they do not always pay attention to when the current record
for that space comes up. The current record has a check mark (Current, if
checked).

I thought it would be more user friendly if they could just type in the space
no into a text box (Please enter space no) and then click a SEARCH button
(search will bring up the current record for that space). For their purpose
they only need to find the current record for a space no.

Also, I do not want them to click into the SpNo field. Once they click into
it they start typing! If not corrected, then that record will have a
different space no. I had to reposition and redesign the SpNo field on the
form to make it look different from the others to discourage that.

Tom, would you help me with the code for the Search button? It would be
appreciated. I have looked through the threads and I haven't found anything I
think I could use.

Thank you,
Uschi

Tom van Stiphout wrote:
>If you don't write code, it may be easier to instruct the users to hit
>Ctrl+F on the SpaceNo field, and enter the value they want to search
>for.
>
>-Tom.
>Microsoft Access MVP
>
>>I need to create an unbound text box with a command button (Search) on my
>>form which will enable the user to find the current record for a space no. I
>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>>
>>Thanks so much.

Uschi

Change check box value in table
Hi i have i form linked to a table with these fields Name Line1 Line2 ... LineN Line1 .. LineN are check box with value = false at the beginning. In the table there are obviously many records that means Name1 False False .... False Name 2 False False ... False Name 3 False False .... False ..... ...... NameN False False .... False What i want to do is to modify/fixed the value of check box at true value (for example clik on a button) until the last record. For example starting from the first records, for 5 records, change the value of line1 to a true value, then, starting from r...

How: Setting UTF8 as an application wide text encoding format
XmlTextReader myXmlReader = new XmlTextReader(args[0]); string en = myXmlReader.Encoding.EncodingName; //Console.WriteLine(x); Error: Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. HOW CAN I GET THE ENCODING NAME ? Basically determine the encoding type. Also How can I "set" an application wide Encoding ? I want all modules and everything to stick to and conform to UTF- 8. But somehow some methods automatically go to UTF-16 xmlguy, 1) What's args[0] in your example? Does it contain any Xml? In that case you first...

A lot of Text Boxes!
Hello all, I got a problem on my excel files. Hope you may help. I don't know why, many of my excel files have a huge number of Text Boxes. It's over 50,000 and they're all empty. As a result, it slows down my computer. Whenever I edit the files, it takes more than 10 seconds to move one cell to another. So, I can't do anything on them anymore. I've checked my computer and it's no virus. I'm still using Excel 97. Any one of you have the same experience? Why this happened? You will help me a lot if you could solve my problem. Many thanks! R...

fill color toolbar buttons for specific colors
Is there a way to have multiple toolbar buttons that fill different colors? For example, one toolbar button for fill blue, another to fill red, another to fill yellow. Currently, to work with several colors, I need to click to get to the fill palette, then select the color. Quite tedious and slow. One way would be to have a macro for each assigned to a custom button on a toolbar. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "bucky3" <bucky3@mail.com> wrote in message news:a76298f8-4468-48bf-8282-fcceb546153c@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com.....

need help with hq p.o. planner
i'm trying to figure out how to enter a po number in headquarters as opposed to having headquarters automatically generate one. in the help topics for this is states that prior to approval you may click details and modify any information, including the p.o. number. when i do a po planner right now it will not allow me to edit p.o. number, status, p.o. date, total, sales tax, currency, exchange rate, tax rate. do i have something set incorrectly or something i'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help, Jim ...

Text Box Truncation -- detect it?
If I put a text box on a report and fill it with text which may be a short line or a long line, and I set the property to CanGrow=No, The short line will fit in the box and the long line will truncate. I expect that. Is there a way to determine, within the report detail, whether the line was truncated or not, and where? I tried comparing the source data with the value in the control, but apparently the value in the control is the untruncated long line, even it it won't all display. It always compares equal, even with truncation. See Stephen Lebans' information here: http...

Need help in removing large email from Outbox
How do I remove a large email from my outbox without it freezing up my computer and blocking me from sending new mail? I was trying to send a compassed file and it has frozen my computer each time I've tried to delete it. It there a way to stop this? ...

Key Words Search against Entire Store
What is the best way to search the entire mail store on Exchange 2000? Example, I want to find all emails containing the words "apple" and "orange" ...

FIX: Outlook 2007 Instant Search Broken / Indexer Not Indexing Mail Items
Well, it cost me a support incident at MSFT so hopefully what I learned will help others. I am running Outlook 2007 as part of Office 2007 Ultimate on Windows XP SP2. There have been numerours threads around with people complaining that searching in instant search in Outlook 2007 or through Windows Desktop Search 3.0 doesn't return any results. Some have said that PST files work fine but results from Exchange mailboxes were missing. The solution on my machine turned out to be related to the fact that the Exchange 2003 system management tools were installed on my machine.There was a prob...

Dividing text
I know about the text-to-columns function, but if I have a sentence of text with each word separated by a space, it'll split across as many columns as there are words in the source cell. If I want to split on a specific 3 character sequence (namely " - "), is there any way I can do so by using the various text functions to determine where in the sentence that exact sequence occurs, and splitting only at that point? -- Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me) Hi Paul As you may have discovered, the 'TextToC...

CDialog caption text size
I'm sure this must be easy, but for some reason I can't figure it... I want to change the titlebar (caption) of a dialog depending on the current system font size used. E.g., in XP you can use standard old style Windows fonts, or chunky XP fonts. The text clearly takes up a different amount of room depending on which is used. How do you tell? I've tried: CString titleStr = _T("Whatever 123"); CRect rect; GetClientRect(&rect); CDC* pDC = GetWindowDC(); CFont* pOldFont = pDC->SelectObject(GetFont()); CSize size = pDC->GetOutputTex...

Referencing a text file for data instead of importing
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but hopefully someone can help me out. My problem is, I am trying to figure out a way to reference data in a text file that has data with columns seperated by semicolons (;), and end of rows denoted by a space I think. Anyway, I have over a hundred of these text files, and in the past have just imported the data into a new spreadsheet in excel, but this is getting too big, and I am getting too many sheets, and I'm not sure, but I dont want to reach the limit. Is there a way to reference this data in the original text files from exce...

Emails in TEXT format wrap at around 53 characters.
I have noticed that when I send emails in plain text format they end up being wrapped at around the 53rd character on the receiving end. I mailed tests to yahoo, gmail, and msn accounts, and they all get reformatted as above when sent via Outlook. The only version that is not wrapping is the copy in my Outlook Sent folder. I noticed that my Outlook inbox is full of plain text email that others have sent me and they DO NOT wrap at a fixed line width (but are still denoted as being in plain text format). Instead they 'free wrap' to the size of the window. So it does not seem to be ...

Need Access 2.0 Converter to Access 2002
Any idea how to get an Access 2.0 .mdb file converted to Access 2002? I just bought Office Pro with Access 2000 and it does not have a converter for this old file. The Office website says that no converter is currenty available. Thanks! > Any idea how to get an Access 2.0 .mdb file converted to > Access 2002? I just bought Office Pro with Access 2000 > and it does not have a converter for this old file. The > Office website says that no converter is currenty > available. Thanks! Create a new MDB in your new version of Access, then import all objects from the Access 2...

News Button Deleted
While setting up my news reader I initially draged the news icon from the button setup to the toolbar. After setting up news I relized that I should have put it in the go field. I deleted it from the toolbar area and now it is nowhere to be found. I can still run outlook express from a shortcut but it would be nice to start it from outlook at th go field. Have I lost this feature and it is nowhere to be found anywhere in the button setup. Thanks for any help --- Shall we assume your version to be Outlook 2003? To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | ...

outlook needs to close window
I keep getting a window after I open my outlook that reads, Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. error message reads C:\DOCUME~1 \JOHN\LOCALS`1\TEMP\WER4.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt. I also keep sending an error report. I am running XP Home & Outlook 2000 >-----Original Message----- >What version of Outlook and Windows are you using? > >--=81 >Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] > >Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion=20 intact. > > >After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer >John M <jguitarfly55@h...

Validating required fields on click of close button
What is the easiest way to validate that all required fields have been populated when clicking a close form button? -- Dirk Use the form's Before Update event and then you can do things like: Dim blnFlag As Boolean If IsNull(Me.MyTextBox) Or Me.MyTextBox = "" Then blnFlag = True End If If IsNull(Me.MyComboBox) Then blnFlag = True End If If blnFlag Then If MsgBox( "You have not filled out the form completely. Do you want to continue filling it out?, vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Incomplete Form") = vbNo Then Cancel = True Me.Undo End If And that...

Refresh an Excel link with button
In my tables I have a link to an Excel workbook. What VBA code can I put in the OnClick event of a button to automatically refresh that link? CurrentDb.Tabledefs("myexcelTable").refreshlink HtH Pieter <taxidermist@cableone.net> wrote in message news:1193841279.082792.319810@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com... > In my tables I have a link to an Excel workbook. What VBA code can I > put in the OnClick event of a button to automatically refresh that > link? > ...

Command Button in Datasheet View
Hi Folks - I'd like to display a list of records in datasheet view. One of the fields is a checkbox. I'd like users to select the records to print, then click a command button that runs a report. I thought a form in datasheet view with a command button in the form header would easily accomplish this task. However, it looks like a form in datasheet view cannot display a command button. Do you have any workarounds? Thanks. Michael Change Datasheet to Continuous Forms. Put the field labels in the form header above the field's textbox, put all textboxes at the top of the deta...

Aligning Text Boxes & Graphics
I've recently updated to Publisher 2003 on Windows XP. In previous versions of Publisher I could align horizontally & vertically in one step by holding down the shift key. In 2003 it appears to be a two step process, requiring to open the align window twice. Is there a way around this? No, it is what is called an abortion of an idea. My neighbour using my computer to fix his Windows. Grrrrrr he should have changed it back. I suppose at 87 I may also be a tad forgetful. "Connor O'Grady" <dontdrinkand@drive.com> wrote in message news:Oc%23im8DiFHA.57...

I need help with SQL please
I have a form with a group box on it. The code for it is: 20 Select Case grpPlan.Value Case 1 30 strMon = "WorkRec" 40 Case 2 50 strMon = "IntRec" 60 Case 3 70 strMon = "FinalRec" 80 End Select After I select the one I want then the SQL is build based on the selection and a report is generated. strWhere = "EmpSuper.WorkRec=""" & strMon & _ """ or EmpSuper.IntRec=""" & strMon & _ &quo...

Chart data file lost
I have a chart created by an intern last year, the data to create the chart was in a file stored in their temp files and is now lost. When I open that chart file the chart still has data in it so I know the file has the data stored somewhere in it. Has anyone ever had this issue, and were you able to get the data back out of the chart? Hi, If the chart series now contains actual values rather than links to ranges/cells you could try the following in order to recoup the data. Select a series, it's formula should be displayed in the formula bar. Something like this, =SERIES("se...

Split text into columns
Has anyone got any code that would split a name in one cell into three columns. I have seen somewhere how to look for the space and so split it up! An example of my data is: Rev Christopher Dent I assume your names are in Col. A and you want the First Name in Col.B, Middle Name in Col.C, and Last Name in Col.D. This will do it for you. Sub SplitNames() Dim rng As Range For Each rng In Range("A1:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row) Range(Cells(rng.Row, rng.Column + 1), Cells(rng.Row, rng.Column + 3)) = Split(rng, " &quo...

Voting buttons not showing
I'm sorry for the cross-posting: Using Outlook 2003, I've created and published a customer satisfaction form with voting buttons to the Organizational Forms Library. I have one problem: the voting buttons don't appear, when the form is opened Interestingly, if users open the form and send it to themselves, then the voting buttons do appear? Can anyone think of a VBA work-around please? I'd like to be able to see the voting buttons on the form as soon as it is opened from the Organizational Forms Library? TIA Phil That's normal and by design. -...

Email Templates Button/Toolbar
I have created an few outlook 2003 email template (*.oft) files that I would like all our users to be able to use. I have them accessible thought an toolbar within my version of outlook, which I can just click and choose the desired template. I would like to roll this out to every version of Outlook in our company. I have checked the registry for changes since I created the toolbar, but cant find any. Does anybody know an simple way to do this (ie Login script, Group Policy, Regedit)?? Thanks in Advance Mark ...