Naming: Subform Control vs Subform Itself

What's the best rule of thumb for naming subform controls?
It is better to name them differently from the subform name?

--
Thanks
croy

I always name the forms being used as subforms sfrmXXXX, and the control
subXXXX, but there's no real reason for that. Whatever you find most
convenient.

Remember, though, that sometimes you have no choice. Don't forget that it's
possible to use the same form multiple times as a subform on the same parent
form.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"croy" <croy@invalid.net> wrote in message
> What's the best rule of thumb for naming subform controls?
> It is better to name them differently from the subform name?
>
> --
> Thanks
> croy

0
Douglas
10/31/2007 7:39:11 PM
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:39:11 -0400, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:

>I always name the forms being used as subforms sfrmXXXX, and the control
>subXXXX, but there's no real reason for that. Whatever you find most
>convenient.
>

>Remember, though, that sometimes you have no choice. Don't forget that it's
>possible to use the same form multiple times as a subform on the same parent
>form.

Good point.  Thanks.

--
croy
0

I've a little "Quick Tutorial" that might also help anyone who wants to
learn more about the subject.  I put together, what I've found to be, an easy
way to remember the differences.

It's here:

http://www.btabdevelopment.com/main/LinkClick.aspx?link=76&tabid=55&mid=385

--
Bob Larson
Access World Forums Super Moderator

"croy" wrote:

> What's the best rule of thumb for naming subform controls?
> It is better to name them differently from the subform name?
>
> --
> Thanks
> croy

Capture Control Name Clicked
I am looking to sort a subform based on the column of data clicked. In the past, I have created a separate but nearly identical OnClick event for each label. In the interest of condensing code, since i have 25 columns, which may or maynot be shown depending on the SQL string built through code, and I don't want 25+ more Subs, all nearly identical... I would like to set the same function as the OnClick event of every label, and have the name of the label be passed to the function, from which I can get the column selected through a MID function. I can get this to work if I use Text B...

Naming sheets from a cell value
Hi there, Thanks for reading my question. Is it possible to name a sheet from a cell value with in the sheet? i.e. I have 12 sheets, each sheet represents a month and the month value is in cell A1. Can I rename a sheet by refering to cell A1 instead of manually renaming the sheets to January, February etc. Many thanks Tony See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/events/sheetnamefromcell.html In article <127785E3-01B4-49B1-9966-8D79F795EFA4@microsoft.com>, "Tony4X4" <Tony4X4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi there, > Thanks for reading my question. >...

Locking Named Cells
Lads, I have a lot of named cells in a workbook. Can I lock the name of th cells but allow users to change the data in them? I do not want them to be able to change the cell names becuase o references to them elsewhere in the workbooks. Lia -- wjoc ----------------------------------------------------------------------- wjoc1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1528 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47473 Are you sure that the users are changing the names? Maybe they're just adding another name for that range...

user name password
It keeps asking me for user name and password. I don't remember them. Then you will need to contact your mail service provider for help. We don't know your username and password either. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "Emily Phillips" wrote in message news:#2bXnwWFLHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... It keeps asking me for user name and password. I don't remember them. ...

Protecting Range Names
Hi all, Are there any methods of protecting range names from being deleted? Or else is it possible to hide names? Thanks. Frederick Chow You can hide names in code. I'd use Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager: You can find it at: NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp His utility can do this pretty quickly. Frederick Chow wrote: > > Hi all, > > Are there any methods of protecting range names from being deleted? Or else > is it possible to hide names? Thanks. > > Frederick Chow -- Dave Peterson Fred...

Subforms
Hey i need some serious help now what i need to build is a parts database i have got some idea how to do this but im stoped with how to create a subform i have looked at the sample database northwind and i have decided i like how that works when a new invoice is made you can select the product from a drop down bar and then all the fields are filled with that info about the product i want to be able to do this with my database i need to show the id number the parts name the price of the part and the quantity of the part in stock and how many have been bought but the problem i face...

Refresh Page
I have a page (MyMainPage.aspx) containing a button. When this button is clicked; it opens up another page as: window.open ("MyURL.aspx", "My Title", 'toolbar=no, location=no, directories=no, status=yes, menubar=no); MyURL.asp does some processing and then automatically closes itself and returns back to the main page MyMainPage.aspx. What do I need to do so when MyUrL.aspx closed down and returns to MyMainPage.aspx; the page MyMainPage.aspx is refreshed? ...

workflow assembly vs. workflow bulk import
hi, i have a question concerning the account the workflow service is supposed to run at. I developed a Workflow Assembly which creates an Activity in CRM. I realized - maybe because of bad configuration - that the workflow service has to be run at a crm user account to work. Is this true or is local system also possible? Because now we realized that Bulk import only works when the Local System account is used for Workflow Service. Big Problem. Anybody with a similar problem and a resolution? martin ...

Double Buffering, Reduce flicker of child control
Hello, I have CWnd that wraps a third party control (TX4OLE). Currently the third party control paints to the screen and our code draws on top of it. This process can produce a bit of flicker and I am trying to eliminate this using double buffering. Is there any way I can redirect the output of the control into a memory buffer? I already handle WM_PAINT calls in the window proc, but there doesn't seem to be any way to change the device context the control uses. Any help or ideas are appreciated. Thanks, Jay On Mar 5, 11:43 am, "Jay Hamilton" <jayhamilto...@gmail.com&g...

Removing Names from Name Manager
Is there a way to remove all the Names in the Name Manager in one stroke, as opposed to deleting them one by one? I have a workbook with several sheet tabs and each tab has upwards of 20 defined 'Names'. When I copy this file all the names on Thanks Click on the first name to select it. Hold down the <shift> key and click on the last name, scrolling down if necessary. This will have selected all the names. Then click on Delete to remove them in one operation. Hope this helps. Pete On Jul 23, 11:06=A0pm, Rob <robfl...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > Is there a way to remov...

ActiveX control from existing controls (windows common or another
How to assemble a new control from several existing controls (windows common controls or another activex controls). My application uses MFC. Klina wrote: > How to assemble a new control from several existing controls (windows common > controls or another activex controls). My application uses MFC. A new ActiveX control can display a dialog. That dialog can contain any type of other controls. If you do not want the result to look like a dialog then turn of the dialog's titlebar and border styles. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] > How to assemble a new control from severa...

Parent/Subform tabbing issues
I'm somewhat new to db programming though our IT guy seems to think I've created a pretty good db. I am having one major issue that I cannot seem to figure out. I've searched the web and newsgroups and haven't been able to find an answer that totally solves my problem and hope someone can suggest a solution. My db includes the following tables/forms Top (which is my parent form) Contact Info Counties Service What I'd like to do is tab from the last control on Top into the first control on Contact Info and then from the last box on Contact info into the the Counti...

how to make a treeview control to notify its parent (a dialog) ... ?
Hi, I have a dialog in which there is a treeview control. When the mouse moves over any treeview item, I want to highlight it and then do something. So, I need to catch the event. What should I do? I add a mouse move handler for the dialog. The handler is executed when the mouse moves over the dialog. But when the mouse starts to enter the treeview control's client area, the hander is not executed. I guess the dialog needs to be notified the event by the treeview control. Can someone kindly tell how to do it? Your help is appreciated. JD "JD" <jdt_young@ya...

SubForm Reference
In Access 2000 I have a form named frm_Dashboard I have a sub form named sfrmDashboard_RL360 On this subform I have a field named txtPctRecHardReturn How do I reference the the contents of this field in code. The code is in the form. Thanks -- Shell Provided that sfmDashboard_RL360 is the name of the subform control (not merely of the form you load into that control), it would be: Forms!frm_Dashboard!sfmDashboard_RL360.Form!txtPctRecHardReturn Explanation: Referring to Controls on a Subform at: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-04.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth,...

Separately named Forms?
In setting up a application where clients master info is to be entered, would/should I have one frmDataEntry and another frmViewClientData, since the frmDataEntry will involve strict Entry but with the frmViewClientData I want to utilize the various methods of SEARCHING for Client data, using ComboBoxes (drop downs) to select client of interest. I've always been confused by this. Can someone clarify to me? TIA, Jim You can use the same form for data entry and viewing/editing data. You can also have 2 separate forms, one for data entry, and one for view/edit the data....

Outlook 2003 does't recognise names in to: box
Hi all, In Outlook 2000 I was able to do the following: I have a list in Excel with names: A1: Harris, Tito A2: Fisler, Rahel A3: Bush, Sarah etc. I selected the cells copied them to Outlook 2000 to the to: box and waited for a moment or pressed Alt+K so that outlook would create the proper e-mail addresses. This worked fine. Programs involved: Excel 2003 SP1 - English Outlook 2003 SP1 - English Exchange Server 2003 -English Problem: When I try to do the same in Outlook 2003 it will only recognise the names where the smtp address is also the fullname such as titoharris@xxx.com but no...

Ribbon Split button control
I have a split button control as part of an add in. When i try adding items dynamically to this control, I get an exception. On having looked into the RibbonSplitButton class, I noticed that the Items collection was read only. Is there anyway that I can add items dynamically to this control? Also, I am not exporting the ribbon to xml. Help! ...

automatically insert town name after entering zip code
I have created a sheet in which I am entering addresses. I created a drop down list for the seven zip codes I am working with. Is there a way to have excel automaticall y enter the corresponding town in the adjacent cell after I choose a zip code? Sure. You need a worksheet with the zips and towns listed on it, then you can use a vlookup. See this for a tutorial: http://www.officearticles.com/tutorials/an_extreme_tutorial_in_microsoft_excel.htm#boss ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "accessnovice" <accessnovice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

User name and password
I am trying to send email and keep getting a message that says please enter your user name and password for the following server. I check remember password and click ok and it just keeps asking to do that over and over. ...

Using Multi-Select List Box Items in another Control
I need to use the chosen items in a multi-select List Box as concatenated text in another control on a subform. This text will be part of a large amount of concatenated text. How do I do this? I did find info here about using such items in a query but it was way over my head and I couldn't figure out how to convert that idea to this issue so please don't just refer me to that w/o some other explanation for this novice. Thanks so much for your help!! Pamela Hi Pamela, Can you give an example of the data shown in your multiselect listbox, and the result you are ...

Excel Range Value issue (Excel 97 Vs Excel 2003)
Hi, I have some VB6 code which was originally written to populate a spreadsheet in EXCEL 97. Basically, to cut a long story short, what the code does is it populates a variant array by calling a stored procedure. The variant array in question is populated with 3 elements (a date, and 2 floats). The array is then passed to Excel like this. Dim xlRng As Excel.Range xlRng.Value = vntDataArray In my particular scenario, the first four rows have the following dates in the "dd/mm/yyyy" format. 29/11/1995 30/11/1995 01/12/1995 04/12/1995 These dates are exported perfectly to Excel 97...

Best Way to Add Custom Control to Dialog
I've written a custom control. Note that this is simple a CWnd-derived class that has it's own interface, etc. It has absolutely nothing to do with COM or ActiveX. I'm not sure what the best way is to put an instance of this control on a dialog box. I can create it in the dialog's OnInitDialog handler but it seems like the dialog would like to know about it before this (for example, the control doesn't appear to get its font set from the dialog box when I create it this way). I just tried adding a custom control to the dialog resource and then adding a control variable of...

get data from main form and update subform
Hi to Everyone I have a mainform with two subform. Mainform has a startdate data. I would like to get this startdate data to my subform which have also a similar date data. Every subfrom and form are different table. Thanks for any idea -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Hi, this is untested air code: On the subform's After Insert event put code something like this: Me.TheDateControlName = Parent.TheDateControlName Jeanette Cunningham "jfeketet via AccessMonster.com" <u40504@uwe> wrote in message news:8032bac88630d@uwe... > Hi to Everyone &...

DB Backup with date & timestamp in the backup name
I currently use the following .cmd file to backup my RMS database. Once done I send the backup file to my backoffice file server. :: Creates the newest backup on ONE (main server) from SQL query OSQL -U sa -P password -S servername -Q "BACKUP DATABASE [main] TO DISK = 'c:\temp\rmsbackup.bck' WITH FORMAT, STATS" However, I would like to take several backups during the day and would like to add a date and time stamp to the backup file name. I tried the following ..cmd file but get some syntax errors with the + sign. :: Creates the newest backup on ONE (main server) from ...

Same query: Subform 0, combobox 1, wins by KO
Hello :) I have a table I want to modify but after it's filtered by an ID number. I have created a query that works great and added a listbox that displays the IDs and when I select the ID it requeries the query. Because I want the users to be happy, I have created a form (where the listbox is), and a subfom object that has created a subform where my query is ran. I then have a nice form with a datasheet display underneath to tick the checkboxes I need. BUT, the problem is that the subform displays the first ID correctly - but not the other ones. I have tried to link the WHERE to ...