Missing something basic - Combobox updating table

Working with Access 2003.  I have a table of users, their phone numbers, and
job classes called tblUsers.  A query extracts that information into
qryUsers.  I have a form that uses the query as the record source called
frmUsers.  The form only contains a single combobox so someone can select the
user for which they wish to view data in other forms.  It works fine for the
first user on the list in the combobox.  Selecting any other user in the
combobox causes the first record in the table to change to that user's name.
For example:

The table and the query both contain:
Timmy
Bobby
Billy
Bubba

The form's combobox box initially displays the names in the order shown
above.  Selecting any name other than Timmy, changes Timmy's entry in the
table to Bobby or Billy or Bubba or whatever was selected.  Timmy's name then
no longer appears on the combobox list.

I have tried to lock the table's name column down to "no duplicates".  That
worked while the form is displayed and it prevented the name changes but when
the form is closed an error message appears that a duplicate entry was
detected and it was unable to update the table.

Also, tried changing the Allow Edits field in Properties to No but that
disabled the ability to select another name.

Apparently, I'm missing something very basic.  I only want the combobox to
display the names.  No editing should take place.  Any thoughts, suggestions,
or guidance will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sounds as though your combo box is bound to the form's underlying
recordsource. Based on what you're describing, the form itself probably
doesn't need to be bound, much less the combo box.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"DiverGuy" <DiverGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Working with Access 2003.  I have a table of users, their phone numbers,
> and
> job classes called tblUsers.  A query extracts that information into
> qryUsers.  I have a form that uses the query as the record source called
> frmUsers.  The form only contains a single combobox so someone can select
> the
> user for which they wish to view data in other forms.  It works fine for
> the
> first user on the list in the combobox.  Selecting any other user in the
> combobox causes the first record in the table to change to that user's
> name.
> For example:
>
> The table and the query both contain:
> Timmy
> Bobby
> Billy
> Bubba
>
> The form's combobox box initially displays the names in the order shown
> above.  Selecting any name other than Timmy, changes Timmy's entry in the
> table to Bobby or Billy or Bubba or whatever was selected.  Timmy's name
> then
> no longer appears on the combobox list.
>
> I have tried to lock the table's name column down to "no duplicates".
> That
> worked while the form is displayed and it prevented the name changes but
> when
> the form is closed an error message appears that a duplicate entry was
> detected and it was unable to update the table.
>
> Also, tried changing the Allow Edits field in Properties to No but that
> disabled the ability to select another name.
>
> Apparently, I'm missing something very basic.  I only want the combobox to
> display the names.  No editing should take place.  Any thoughts,
> suggestions,
> or guidance will be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

0
Douglas
12/29/2007 6:22:03 PM
Yep, that was it!  I removed the Control Source from the combobox's
properties and it started working as desired.  Knew it was something simple I
had overlooked.  Thanks for the help.

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> Sounds as though your combo box is bound to the form's underlying
> recordsource. Based on what you're describing, the form itself probably
> doesn't need to be bound, much less the combo box.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "DiverGuy" <DiverGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Working with Access 2003.  I have a table of users, their phone numbers,
> > and
> > job classes called tblUsers.  A query extracts that information into
> > qryUsers.  I have a form that uses the query as the record source called
> > frmUsers.  The form only contains a single combobox so someone can select
> > the
> > user for which they wish to view data in other forms.  It works fine for
> > the
> > first user on the list in the combobox.  Selecting any other user in the
> > combobox causes the first record in the table to change to that user's
> > name.
> > For example:
> >
> > The table and the query both contain:
> > Timmy
> > Bobby
> > Billy
> > Bubba
> >
> > The form's combobox box initially displays the names in the order shown
> > above.  Selecting any name other than Timmy, changes Timmy's entry in the
> > table to Bobby or Billy or Bubba or whatever was selected.  Timmy's name
> > then
> > no longer appears on the combobox list.
> >
> > I have tried to lock the table's name column down to "no duplicates".
> > That
> > worked while the form is displayed and it prevented the name changes but
> > when
> > the form is closed an error message appears that a duplicate entry was
> > detected and it was unable to update the table.
> >
> > Also, tried changing the Allow Edits field in Properties to No but that
> > disabled the ability to select another name.
> >
> > Apparently, I'm missing something very basic.  I only want the combobox to
> > display the names.  No editing should take place.  Any thoughts,
> > suggestions,
> > or guidance will be very much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,

Timing of payroll year end tax update installation
I am trying ot find out if the 2007 year end tax update for GP v9 can be applied prior to running the final payroll for the year. If this is just a form update can it be done early to avoid so much stress at the end of the year? Has anyone tried this? (I do not mean the new tax table update for 2008) -- Diane Burbank Dynamics GP Consultant Yes, it can be applied at any time. However, it is not just a form update. It includes service pack 3. The installation will require all users be out of GP during the procedure. All workstations must be updated. Make backups of the databases and the...

Pivot Table Question #12
I've created a pivot table and it works well - counts the number of items in each category. What it doesn't do is count the number of blank cells. It gives me a blank category but, alas, it is blank. I want the blank category line to tell me how many blank cells I have. I know that this is possible, but just can't seem to make it work. Can someone help? Thanks! To count the blanks you could use a space character, or the formula ="", in the source data, instead of leaving the cells blank. The pivot table will be able to count those. Betty Csehi wrote: > I&#...

Missing Standard Chart Types
Hi, after full installation of MS Office 2003, I tried to insert a chart into a worksheet. But, when I go to standard chart types, I can see ONLY 1 chart sub-type for each standard type. I did similar installation on another PC and I have many. What should I do to add more chart sub-types? Thanks in advance. JerryR ...

Pivot Table Data Source, point to cell?
Is there any way to point the data source block to a cell. I want to simply update a cell (i.e. A1) with the range instead having to open the pivot table and changing from the wizard. Is there a way to do this? Example: Cell A1 contains: '[Output 3.24.xls]FORMALS-OUT'!$A$5:$P$65536 Data source in pivot table points to cell A1 to get the range. please tell me there's a way to do this.... thanx.! hi, Jeremy ! > Is there any way to point the data source block to a cell. > I want to simply update a cell (i.e. A1) with the range instead having to open the pivot table >...

Office update screwup
Word (Office OSX) has been getting buggy, so I went to MS site and downloaded the update. When I installed, it wants me to re-enter my CD key, which I have lost(along with the CD a couple of moves ago- the life of a student!) I never thought about this as I had a registered version and I thought it would just recognize that and just install the update. If I would have known, I could have jotted down the serial number before the upgrade. Is there some way I can access the serial number off my computer? (Is it still there?) I have lots of projects in the next little bit, and while I can ope...

Can't change Enterprise Configuration Recepient Update Service
Guys, I tried to change the Enterprise Configuration RUS from System Manager and I received an error 80004005 server not operational. I ve used ADSIEdit to check for the servername but the CN=SERVER object was not there.Is there anything I can do Our Exchange Enterprise Configuration Recepient Update Service is still pointing to old server, this is making the whole environment very unstable. Your help is most appreciated. Environment: Exchange Server 2003 SP1, Windows Server 2003 -- Buchi ...

SendObject behavior different after today's Windows XP updates
A client who runs XP and has been using Access2003 successfully for several years installed 3 WIndows updates today and, afterwords, code I wrote which emails orders to a distributor stopped working. In fact, any use of SendObject seems to be broken. The particular thing that happens is that it says the MS Office 2003 license expired in 2006 and he needs to either enter a product key or pay to upgrade the product. We are both assuming it means ACCESS. If he then clicks cancel on the screen wanting him to upgrade , he gets the text of the email that access generates on his s...

linking Excel table to word
Can anyone tell me how I can have an excel table linked to a word table so that the word table dynamically updates itself based on the values in excel cells? Much appreciate it if anyone can point me to direction Thrava Hi in MS Word just insert the Excel sheet as Excel object (Edit - Paste Special) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Thrava" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0cea01c46e91$faae80b0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone tell me how I can have an excel table linked to > a word table so that the word table dynamically u...

Using Bound Form and controls to inquire and update with other requirements
Most of the stuff I have done in Access mainly dealt with unbound forms due to the fact that I have issues with how error checking is done. It's been a long while since I have worked with Access and now having to get back into it, but only this time with bound forms and controls. I am still needing to use my custom error checking code to get around the fact that without such code, when doing data validation on individual controls (when moving from one control to another) as opposed to doing data validation on the whole form (moving from one record to another record), data validati...

Time formulae
Hi I use these formulae to insert the date and time in separate cells on a worksheet : A14 =TODAY() B14 =NOW()-TODAY() They update automatically when I open the sheet. It would be better however if they didn't do this until I use the Refresh All function. Is it possible to stop these functions updating until I need them to do so? I know I can switch global options off in the Options section of the program , but I'm loathe to do this for the sake of this one sheet. Grateful for any advice. ...

Generating a table of figures and table of tables using 'insert caption'

If Insert Fails, then Update
Hi Everyone, I have a table that I want to INSERT the entries into another table, easy enough with an Append Query, but if the insert fails, due to duplicate keys, I just want to update a few fields. Any ideas? Thanks in Advance for your kind consideration Pat. Pat Backowski wrote: >I have a table that I want to INSERT the entries into another table, easy >enough with an Append Query, but if the insert fails, due to duplicate keys, >I just want to update a few fields. Sounds like a two step process. First, update the existing records: UPDATE tbl2 SET tbl2.fa = tbl1.fa ...

Update one Worksheet from Another
Hi, I want to be able to update a worksheet by looking up data from another worksheet. in other words; If Servername in Worksheet A column A equals Servername in Worksheet B Column C then copy serial number from Worksheet B column D to Worksheet A column D. Thanks in advance for any help. OldDog Hi you can use the VLOOKUP function to achieve this. in Worksheet A column D type =VLOOKUP(A1,WorksheetB!$C$1:$D$1000,2,0) this will return the information from column D of Worksheet B where there is an exact match between the data in column A of the current sheet and column C of worksheet B....

Missing System Attendant mailbox
The first mailbox store became corrupted and cannot bring it back with edbutil /r although at the end it claimed to be fixed. Problem is, that the default system attendant mailbox was residing on this mailstore. Now, when I am trying to move mailboxes to the new mailbox store, it can not do it because of the missing SA mailbox. Creating new accounts to this new mailbox store is working well. How could I create an SA account on this new mailbox store, so I could move mailboxes from other mailbox stores? Thanks Have you restarted the SA sevice to recreate the SA mailbox on the new store? On...

Median in Excel 2007 pivot-tables
HI, I am working on pivot table for data analysis, where I need to show the median. While working on this I found that "Median" is not supported in pivot tables. Is there any way I can use median function in pivot tables? Best Regards, Venkataramana AFAIK, you can't alter pivot tables, but you can certainly copy/paste special (perhaps a new sheet), and then do whatever you want to it (perhaps in an adjacent column). -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "Venkataramana" wrote: ...

Apply a Recipient Update Policy to mail enabled groups
Hi, I would like to use a RUP to change the mail address of certain mail enabled groups. So far I've been unsuccesful. Any hints or tips are welcome since information on this subject is hard to find. I'm using Exchange 2000. Thx! Check out http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/POP3SvcE2k3/1c031413-4110-4f76-8e3d-e1a42665d90d.mspx?mfr=true. This article relates to POP3 users, but it should point you in the right direction. Jeff Guillet, MCSE "workinghard@news.postalias" wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to use a RUP to change the mai...

Update GAL exchange 5.5
HI How to update Global Address list in Exchange server 5.5 with service pack 4. Thanks Shaikh Not sure what you mean by update GAL? SusanV "Shaikh" <smahaboob@dishnet.com> wrote in message news:ebaAdEjuDHA.3416@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > HI > > How to update Global Address list in Exchange server 5.5 with service pack > 4. > > Thanks > Shaikh > > > I mean , i want to update my GAL so that old e-mail address which is deleated will remove form GAL. the reson is i am getting junk mails to old E-mail box's which r removed and system ...

Can't install Excell 2007
I successfully installed Excel 2007 on my desktop computer, but am unable to install it on my laptop. I get an error message stating that set-up can not find the following file: office-en-us/officeMUIset.xml I tried locating the file in all the directories on the CD, but can't find it. Can anyone help? ...

Pivot Table help needed
HI, I tried to the example given in this site... http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html For Show/Hide Items -- Visible property is not working. Visible Property is working if the data source is EXcel itself. If the data source is analysis Manager, Visible property is always true...Is there any work around. I have done the macro recording. That is giving a long code which can not be implemented. also I will not able to add a calculated member in the pivot table because the olap datasource is analaysis amanager.. Thanks in advance for any help regarding this. Thanks and regards. ...

Basic Loop
I've written a macro that formats an exported report file from a accounting application (SAP). I want to insert a line between th various subtotal lines in the report. The macro identifies how man lines need to be inserted (this will vary with each report run) but don't know how to get it to (A) - Insert the rows between subtotal lines (B) - Get the macro to stop inserting rows at the right time. I guess a basic FOR NEXT loop is required but the help index isn't lot of help with getting the syntax right and I haven't done loop before. Appreciate your hel -- Message p...

Update
What is Happening? This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums. Why? As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier for active contributors to retain their influence, miti...

Part protection of Excel 2007 tables
Hi, Although this is not a VBA code/Macro related question, I thought that the people who know the Excel object model so well would be best placed to handle this question. Here it is: Can I part protect an Excel 2007 (ie lock certain columns and leave other unlocked)? eg. I want the data input columns to be unlocked and columns with formulas to be locked. When I did this and then protected the sheet, the table no longer behaved like a table. Was I missing something or is this a limitation of the Tables? Regards, Raj ...

Copy whole table into one cell
Office Excel 2003 on Windows XP I'm trying to create a report-maker with excel... ugh! Anyways, there is a template that users are filling out saying whether something is defected or not... that's not important, the important part is, that I'm having VBA go though the table (using a button after it is filled out) and deleting the rows that aren't defected... in other words, if there are blank cells in column C (for example), the whole row in which that blank cell is located is deleted. I'll never have more than 40 rows and 5 columns in the table so I don'...

table
with a vba macro I populated a table, the size of this table is variable in each execute this macro. and with this table I create pivot table, Database functions, but How to use all resources with all data? suggestions and examples thanks Marina Hi Marina Create a dynamic named range for your data. Insert>Name>Define>Mydata Refers to =OFFSET($A$1,0,0,COUNTA(A:A),10) The above example would create a range which contained as many rows as are present in column A, and the would be 10 columns wide. Change the formula as appropriate to your data location. Then in the Pivot Tab...

Visual Basic error when editing a formula
When editing a formula, I get a strange popup alert: Microsoft Visual Basic (in the blue bar) ! Tipo definito dall'utente non definito (user defined type not defined) Any suggestion? regards On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:52:57 -0700, "Enzo Leoni" <enzo.leoni@pilkington.it> wrote: >When editing a formula, I get a strange popup alert: > >Microsoft Visual Basic (in the blue bar) > >! Tipo definito dall'utente non definito (user defined >type not defined) > >Any suggestion? What's the formula that you're entering? Is it a built in one, a ...