Limit in Text Box

Hello,
I'm having an issue with the amount of characters allowed in a text box. I
need to be able to have a space that allows more than 255 characters. How can
this be accomplished? I am not too savvy with Microsoft Access yet, so any
response written in lay-mans terms is greatly appreciated!
Thankyou!

ChelseaS,

In the table change the Data Type to Memo.

--
Gina Whipp

II

"ChelseaS" <ChelseaS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I'm having an issue with the amount of characters allowed in a text box. I
> need to be able to have a space that allows more than 255 characters. How
> can
> this be accomplished? I am not too savvy with Microsoft Access yet, so any
> response written in lay-mans terms is greatly appreciated!
> Thankyou!

0
Gina
12/8/2009 7:19:43 PM
As Gina has said, if you need a field to hold more than 255 characters you
need to use a Memo field, which can hold in excess of 64K.

But you should know, if a database is set up properly, text fields seldom
need to be more than 255 characters long. One of the Cardinal rules to having
a well designed, normalized database is that no single field will contain
more than one individual piece of data.

Data stored in Memo fields should be restricted to "notes" or narrative type
information, such as a salesman's notes on a customer visit or a doctor's
progress notes on a patient.

Working primarily in a Heath Care environment, I've used Memo fields
extensively for a number of years, without ever having a problem. The secret
is to follow one simple rule:

Never, never, never place data in a Memo field if there any possibility that
you will ever need to search, sort, parse or in any other way manipulate the
data!

Because many queries perform some of these functions, you have to take care
in using them in queries or they will be truncated to 255 characters. Allen
Browne has an excellent article explaining how to deal with Memo field and
queries:

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-63.html

Good luck!

Linq
12/8/2009 10:07:24 PM
Set your field type to Memo instead of Text.  A memo type field will allow
over 65,000 characters.

-----
HTH
Mr. B
http://www.askdoctoraccess.com/
Doctor Access Downloads Page:
http://www.askdoctoraccess.com/DownloadPage.htm

"ChelseaS" wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm having an issue with the amount of characters allowed in a text box. I
> need to be able to have a space that allows more than 255 characters. How can
> this be accomplished? I am not too savvy with Microsoft Access yet, so any
> response written in lay-mans terms is greatly appreciated!
> Thankyou!

upgrading the OS on Exch2003 box
I have successfully upgraded Exch2000 to 2003. The OS is still Windows 2000 Server. Now I'm ready to upgrade that box to Windows Server 2003. Is there anything special I should note before upgrading, or is there a specific document which addresses any known method or problems ? thanks chrism "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote: >I have successfully upgraded Exch2000 to 2003. >The OS is still Windows 2000 Server. > >Now I'm ready to upgrade that box to Windows Server 2003. > >Is there anything special I should note before upgrading, or is there >a...

Finding characters within a text
Hi How to check, using single formula, that a text within a certain cell contains one of certain characters? For instance, how to check if there is a 'R', 'L' or 'Ps' character within cell A1 that reads 'W-RII'. Thanks in advance Hmm..not very elegant, but maybe =NOT(AND(ISERROR(FIND("R",A1)),ISERROR(FIND("L",A1)),ISERROR(FIND("P",A1)))) Returns TRUE if the text in A1 contains 'R', 'L' or 'Ps' . FIND is case-sensitive, use SEARCH if you also want to find lower-case characters. Cheers, Joerg Mochiku...

Shrinking Text
Hi everybody, in our Office (Word) 2007 application, WTS 2008x64, the following happens (for some - not all- users): A text is written and formatted normally and without any problems. The document shall be printed. After the printjob is executed, the chracters of the text lines are compressed to only a few millimeters in width. The font height remains normal. Nothing is legible. This now ocurs on the printed doc as well as on the screen. After the doc is saved and opened in a different session, everything is OK and works well... What can I do? As always, every help and ...

Centering text on a page
Is there a way to center text automatically in a row across the top of the page without having to pick a column that is close to center, then using the space bar to find the exact midpoint? Thnxs Hi Justin! Select the cells across your page Format > Cells > Alignment Place check in "Merge cells" Horizontal and Vertical drop downs should be set at Center OK There is a standard toolbar button for this. Use: View > Toolbars > Customize Look under Format for the Merge and Center button Click and drag it to your toolbar. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, A...

Text Effects Scrolling or Blinking text
How do apply the scroll or blinking feature to text that you want to emphasize in a word document. Prior to MS2007 there was a feature on the fonts tab that allowed a user to apply the following features to text "marching ants, blinking text, scrolling marquee, etc. I cannot find the any of these features anywhere in Word 2007. "HELP" There is no direct access to them, but they are still available by macro I posted the following macro recently, for use in Word 2007 Sub AnimateFont() Dim sAnimation As String If Len(Selection.Range) = 0 Then MsgBox "...

Text to columns

What is 'Align Text to Base Line Guide'?
Trying to make sure all lines have the same amount of space between them I selected paragraph from the format menu and under the line adjustments there is a box 'align text to base line guides' Ok I did that, now there are lines at the margines of my newsletter. What are these? Also selecting this pushed my text down from the top edge of the text box. What is this? The baseline guide measurements are in the Arrange, Layout Guides, Baseline tab. There is help in the Help menu. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Go_Girl3647" <GoGirl3647@discussions.microsoft.com...

Report Writer Text Spacing Problems While Modifying a PO form
Due to Report Writer static text field size limitations, I am forced to try to use two adjacent text fields to complete a sentence. I am having an inordinate amout of problems trying to get words to align in sentences with the correct amount of character spacing between words that span the text field boundaries. And, the process of toggling between Report Writer and Dyamics to get the Purchase Order form to reprint is time consuming. What am I missing (besides patience)? -- Jay Jay, 1) Setup a calculated field for your static text. Set the result type to String, and use the Constant...

How do text capture tools work?
Here are two examples of this technology. http://www.textcapture.com/en/default.html http://www.deskperience.com/textcapture/ Sounds like they will have to involve OCR, which works fine for standard fonts but probably won't work with fancy fonts. Key here is to test them try a static control with a TextOut and change the fonts and see what happens. joe On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:02:04 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote: >Here are two examples of this technology. > > http://www.textcapture.com/en/default.html > http://www.deskp...

Ordering by number and text
I use a report to print out checklists that in the detail section have item number to delineate each checklist item. The item numbers as an example are 1-1, 1-2, 1-2a, 1-2b, or 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-3a, 2-3b and so on. The report is grouped by checklist section and the grouping works perfectly but when the report is printed the item numbers are ordered in this order 1-1, 1-10, 1-11, 1-2, 1-3, 1-3a, 1-3b, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-9. Obviously I want the the order to be in proper numerical sequence where 1-10 comes after 1-9. but even replacing the '-' with a decimal point doesn't ...

E-mail box sizes. Echange System Manger.
Hi. Now and then I need to find out the size of the various e-mail boxes in Exchange2000. The problem is that the size indicated in the Exchange System Manager do not reflect the same size when you look into Outlook. Is the a way to figure out the correct e-mail size? If not. Is this better in Exchange2003? Thank you in advance. DagN I'd consider the Exchange value to be the most important given this is what will be used for mailbox quotas, etc. Nue "Dag N" <skier@start.no> wrote in message news:OjCaWfjLGHA.2320@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi. > Now and then ...

Spiral text
Does anyone know how to create spiral text? In a draw program for sure. You probably can get close in Publisher, but it will not look as good as a draw program can do. Serif has a free program you can try. DrawPlus http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "jaykay" <jaykay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71954A65-C46F-4005-9553-B324EFEE7500@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know how to create spiral text? I've downloaded the program, but can't figur...

Email Text Dissappears when Save
When we save email messages (as a draft) the text dissappears, even when th I use my administrator account. Anybody have any idea what that is happening. ...

Count the text in a column
I would like to count the text in a column then for it to add a figure in another cell if it meets the text criteria Thanks! Do you mean count the characters? If so =SUM(NOT(ISNUMBER(A1:A20))*LEN(A1:A20)) as an array formula (committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Peter Curtis" <PeterCurtis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94C093C4-38DC-4989-846A-9352F3298B7C@microsoft.com... > I would like to count the text in a column then for it to add a figure in > another cell if it meets the t...

Converting number to text

How to return the primary key from a combo box
I have a table containing two columns Column 1: Primary key Column 2: Name. I want to create an unbound combo box that shows the name but returns the PK. I have these properties set: Control source: <is empty> Row source type: table/query Bound column: 1 Row source: <I have a select that returns the desired records> In cboClient_AfterUpdate() I look at debug.print cboClient.Value and I see the name. I need the PK so I can construct the query for the next combo box. How do I get the PK Thanks for the help -- Message posted via http://www.accessmons...

Simple Yes/No drop down box
Hi, I am looking to create a simple drop down box which has yes or no as the options. For the life of me i can't remember how to do it. Thanks Select the cell and then click on Data | Data Validation. In the dialogue box for Allow click on List, and then in Source you can type "Yes,No" (without the quotes) and ensure that In-cell drop-down is checked. Click OK and then you have it. Hope this helps. Pete On Apr 21, 9:41=A0am, Debi <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, I am looking to create a simple drop down box which has yes or no as = the ...

creating nested formulas from drop down box
Hi, I have cell A1 with a drop down box containing 26 available choices. B1 has the dollar amount matching to the choice in A1 using vlookup. E1 totals several cells including B1 together. I want F1 to look at A1 and either enter the number from E1 or NA. Here's billing example: A1=January , B1=$5 ,C1=$10, D1=$1, E1=$16 (total of b-d1) F1 is the column for January G1 is the column for February H1 is the column for March, etc If A1 = Jan, then F1 should be $16 If A1 = Feb, then F1 should be NA or $0 This is the formula that has been working so far: =IF((G2="...

Setting Text in a ComboBox
Hi, Does anybody know why I cannot set the text in the edit control of a CBS_DROPDOWN style CombBox control using SetWindowText()? I was able to change the text in the edit control part of the ComboBox manually. Thanks, Vincent. I don't know why can't you? Post some code. You should be able to m_MyCombo.SetWindowText("The Text"); Ali R. "Vincent Yu" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5e2b01c3ad48$5309d630$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, Does anybody know why I cannot set the text in the > edit control of a CBS_DROPDOWN style ...

anchor picture to text box
(Publisher 2003) I have a newsletter with a Kudos box. In the corners of the box I have a happy face. I'd like the happy faces to be anchored to their corners so when I enlarge or shorten the box, the faces move along with the text box. Why not create a rectangle, insert the happy faces, group. The problem as I see it would be if you resize, the happy faces could be distorted if you widen or shrink the group. You would always have to re-size proportionally. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:193...

Limit number of characters in a cell
Hi, Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a cell. I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't want them to be more than 35 characters. Thanks for the help Dr. Senji Take a look at Data|Validation. You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a too-long string. Dr Senji wrote: > > Hi, > > Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a > cell. > > I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't > want the...

Text Ticker
Hello Experts i was asked to do a simple project 1-want do a text ticker can be scroll left to right and right to left 2-transparent 3-no flicker 4-has a background image please where can i start and how to do it thank you BitBlt background to offscreen bitmap TextOut to the bitmap with appropriate offset and clipping region BitBlt offscreen bitmap to client area of screen Use a subclassed CStatic joe On 18 Aug 2006 20:59:22 -0700, "Prafulla T" <prafulla.tekawade@gmail.com> wrote: >Hello Experts > >i was asked to do a simple project >1-want do a text tic...