Keeping forms in order they are entered?

I am working with a database that was designed for us and have pretty much
just used without having to change much in but have now run into a problem
and hope someone can help. We track and number complaints we recieve by
number using last digits of year recieved then next number, i.e. a complaint
recived 12/31/09 might be 9234 and first one received this year would be
10001 and the next would be 10002. The problem is now when I open my forms
and go to the last one it is the 9234 instead of the 10002 which I need. How
do I keep that last form I entered last the next time I open the database?
Thanks so much for any help!

0
WhitneyL

Whitney

Please give us a bit more to go on ...

How is that number being generated?  How is it being displayed?  Where?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"WhitneyL" <u57249@uwe> wrote in message news:a19d34784a8a8@uwe...
>I am working with a database that was designed for us and have pretty much
> just used without having to change much in but have now run into a problem
> and hope someone can help. We track and number complaints we recieve by
> number using last digits of year recieved then next number, i.e. a
> complaint
> recived 12/31/09 might be 9234 and first one received this year would be
> 10001 and the next would be 10002. The problem is now when I open my forms
> and go to the last one it is the 9234 instead of the 10002 which I need.
> How
> do I keep that last form I entered last the next time I open the database?
> Thanks so much for any help!

0
Jeff
1/4/2010 4:42:24 PM
Hi Jeff, Thanks for responding.
We enter that number based on the entry before it, it is not something that
is generated or an autonumber, just our own numbering system. It is just
displayed in a text box on the form, but for some reason that is the number
that the form is sorting itself by. More then one person enters the data so
that is why we need the last entry to be there when we go into the forms so
the numbers stay consectutive. I'm sorry if this does not help, I really do
not know much about setting these things up and the person that did is long
gone. Thanks again.

Jeff Boyce wrote:
>Whitney
>
>Please give us a bit more to go on ...
>
>How is that number being generated?  How is it being displayed?  Where?
>
>Regards
>
>Jeff Boyce
>Microsoft Access MVP
>
>>I am working with a database that was designed for us and have pretty much
>> just used without having to change much in but have now run into a problem
>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>> do I keep that last form I entered last the next time I open the database?
>> Thanks so much for any help!

0
WhitneyL
1/4/2010 5:07:30 PM
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 17:07:30 GMT, "WhitneyL" <u57249@uwe> wrote:

>Hi Jeff, Thanks for responding.
>We enter that number based on the entry before it, it is not something that
>is generated or an autonumber, just our own numbering system. It is just
>displayed in a text box on the form, but for some reason that is the number
>that the form is sorting itself by. More then one person enters the data so
>that is why we need the last entry to be there when we go into the forms so
>the numbers stay consectutive. I'm sorry if this does not help, I really do
>not know much about setting these things up and the person that did is long
>gone. Thanks again.

Access data is not stored in Forms - the form is just a window, and the data
is stored in a Table. The Form has a "recordsource" property which might be
the name of a table or of a query.

Data in tables *has no order* - it's just a heap of records. If you want a
specific order you must use a Query sorting the records; it's possible that
the person who set this database up did so incorrectly.

Open the Form in design view, and look at its Properties. Find the
Recordsource property (first on the data tab) - what's in it? Click the ...
icon by the property to open a Query Design window; if Access lets you do so,
select View... SQL on the menu and copy and paste the SQL text to a message
here (it may look like Sanskrit to you at this point but there are gurus
here...)
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

--
Build a little, test a little.

"WhitneyL" wrote:

> Hi Jeff, Thanks for responding.
> We enter that number based on the entry before it, it is not something that
> is generated or an autonumber, just our own numbering system. It is just
> displayed in a text box on the form, but for some reason that is the number
> that the form is sorting itself by. More then one person enters the data so
> that is why we need the last entry to be there when we go into the forms so
> the numbers stay consectutive. I'm sorry if this does not help, I really do
> not know much about setting these things up and the person that did is long
> gone. Thanks again.
>
> Jeff Boyce wrote:
> >Whitney
> >
> >Please give us a bit more to go on ...
> >
> >How is that number being generated?  How is it being displayed?  Where?
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Jeff Boyce
> >Microsoft Access MVP
> >
> >>I am working with a database that was designed for us and have pretty much
> >> just used without having to change much in but have now run into a problem
> >[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
> >> do I keep that last form I entered last the next time I open the database?
> >> Thanks so much for any help!
>
> .

Well we could be getting to the problem, in the recordsource it says
TblComplaints, which would be the table for our complaints, then when I click
Query Design window thing it says "You invoked the query builder on a table.
Do you want to create a query based on the table?" Does this help? Thanks so
much!

John W. Vinson wrote:
>>Hi Jeff, Thanks for responding.
>>We enter that number based on the entry before it, it is not something that
>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>>not know much about setting these things up and the person that did is long
>>gone. Thanks again.
>
>Access data is not stored in Forms - the form is just a window, and the data
>is stored in a Table. The Form has a "recordsource" property which might be
>the name of a table or of a query.
>
>Data in tables *has no order* - it's just a heap of records. If you want a
>specific order you must use a Query sorting the records; it's possible that
>the person who set this database up did so incorrectly.
>
>Open the Form in design view, and look at its Properties. Find the
>Recordsource property (first on the data tab) - what's in it? Click the ...
>icon by the property to open a Query Design window; if Access lets you do so,
>select View... SQL on the menu and copy and paste the SQL text to a message
>here (it may look like Sanskrit to you at this point but there are gurus
>here...)

0
WhitneyL
1/4/2010 6:08:12 PM
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 18:08:12 GMT, "WhitneyL" <u57249@uwe> wrote:

>Well we could be getting to the problem, in the recordsource it says
>TblComplaints, which would be the table for our complaints, then when I click
>Query Design window thing it says "You invoked the query builder on a table.
>Do you want to create a query based on the table?" Does this help? Thanks so
>much!

Yep! Since the Form is based on a Table, the records will be presented in
whatever order Access finds convenient (which may not be what YOU would find
convenient).

Accept Access' offer. You will then be put into a query design grid. Add all
the fields from the table (all the fields that you want on the form, to be
precise) to the query grid, and sort by the ID field. One question though:
what is the datatype of the field? If it's Number then 9234 will sort before
10002, but if it is Text then "9234" will sort after "10002" (because the text
string "92..." is greater, alphabetically, than the text string "10...").
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Form for table
Here's the problem: Access 2003, XP Pro- I have three tables that are related by primary keys. I have a table[Table QC] that has the field [EmployeeID], the data type is number--that field is linked to the autonumber primary key of the Employees Table. So far so good. I am trying to make a form that has a combo box that looks to the Employee Table to get me the drop down of the employees (Last Name, First Name). The SQL statement builds out okay, and I get the correct name config., but because the data type is a number it won't accept the data. I looked at the Northwind example and i...

Build Dynamic Query from Form
I am trying to build a dynamic Query from a Form. I keep getting an error that reads ‘Object qryFilter already exists’ I suspect it has something to do with the string of dates being passed to the Query; strDateCondition = "([Trades].[TDATE] Between [Forms]![SearchForm]![cboFrom] And [Forms]![SearchForm]![cboTo])" I am trying to add a means for a user to Query by Customer and Trader AND all records between two dates. This was working fine for Customer and Trader; when I added in the code to filter by dates I started having problems. I know the SQL will be li...

Outlook2003 : keeping a copy of PST on server
I can't seem find the place to make the change on the client's outlook to keep a copy of the pst file on exchange server. When I configured outlook I got the message to go into tools and select the option to keep a copy on server. I couldn't find that option and all mail was delivered to the client. When you go through owa all you will see is the new mail not delivered to the client. I'm going to hack at it and when I find something I will post my findings. But if someone already knows where to look I would appreciate that Thanks Norm found this article http://www...

Not allow entering repeated references in a column
Frank, If you don�t mind ... I will send it :) . As I don�t know your e-mail, I will give mine, which is ssouritinha@sapo.pt Just send your e-mail to my e-mail box and I will send the file. Thanks, Ritinh -- ritinh ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ritinha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1566 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27195 ...

No Form Assistant in Quote Product Screen
While entering data in the QuoteProduct screen, no Form Assistant is available. Is it the usual feature or I need to configure something to view the Form Assistant? Also is it possible to see contact hierarchy in an account in the form of a Organisational Chart? Is their any add-on available in relation to this? ...

catching enter key for multiple editboxes
I know that to catch the enter key I need to subclass the editbox control, but I was wondering if there is a way to do this for multiple editboxes other than to subclass each control? I suppose I could do one and then create the others dynamically, but can it be done during design as well? Roger ...

Sum in Form Footer
Hi Folks, I've made a the following calculation in form Detail section into text box and I've called my text box "Chaussures" =Sum([Chaussures])+([aldo])+([Feet-First])+([Transit])+([Globo]), this sum calculate the sum of Units which are into these text boxes "aldo", "Feet-First", "Transit" and "Globo" and this for each line record. Now in the Form Footwear, How can I make the total of units "Chaussures" I've tried a lot of things and nothing seems to work. Your help will be much appreciated, Thankign you in advance,...

Outlook keeps Crashing #3
Soon after turning on Outlook 2000 I get the following message Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. I am prompted to select send error report and after I click send it closes/crashes Outlook. Please help Paul Try using the disc and reinstalling or choose the repair function from the office disc >-----Original Message----- >Soon after turning on Outlook 2000 I get the following >message Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and >needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. I am >prompted ...

Unable to enter correct product key
I have purchased a Mac G4 PowerBook and installed my Microsoft Office (student and teacher edition). Not understanding the significance of the Product Key, I entered a code that I have already used on another computer. Now I am unable to open Microsoft Word on my hew computer because I also have the same product key used on my old computer. I have three product keys. How can I install the program in my new computer using the correct product key? In article <d10c35c6.0408302116.39c1cc84@posting.google.com>, gstoddard@charter.net (george) wrote: > I have purchased a Mac G4 PowerBook ...

Appending in a sub form
I am creating a venue ticket tracking DB in Access '07. tblVenueEvent has info about Venue, date, time, event with a VenueEventID (key field) which is linked to tblTicketInfo which has section, seat, row, etc. I set up an entry form completing VenueEvent info with a sub form for ticket info. Some of the venues have a standard set of seats that I want to "auto populate" into the sub fom. I have set up a Venue table with the standard seats for the venue. I can set up an Append Query on the sub form, which does append the tblTicketInfo, but does not capture the VenueEven...

what is the name of a sub form download from microsoft website
i need to add a sub form to a form created in access. i tried to start the wizard but the feature is not currently installed. i try to install but it is looking for a disk for me to insert. i do not have a disk to insert. can i go to microsoft website and download the sub form feature for access? if yes, what is the name of the download. Are you sure it is not installed? Open your main form in design view. Click the Toolbox button in the menu at the top. There are two buttons at the top of the Toolbox, an Arrow and a wand. Is the Wand highlighted. If not, click on it then click on th...

Copy data from one record to a new record on a sub form
I have a form showing patient details with a sub form displaying all associated referral details for the patient. One patient can have more than one referral and I would like to be able to copy data from some of the fields on the current referral when adding a new referral for the same patient. Is this possible? Thank you for your help I am fairly new to Access code and I am having some problem following your suggestion could you please simplify. Also some of the fields on the referral records are selected via a combo box will these fields still copy? "Klatuu" wrote: > ...

Is there a way to convert OE 03 form templates?
I have a user that has upgraded from outlook 2003 to outlook 2007 and has a form template from 2003 that is in a FDM extension. Outlook 2007 is unable to read this form. Is there a way to convert this form, or will the user just have to create a new form with their new version of outlook? Any information appreciated. Thanks, -AllenK What happens when you try to install the form? Any error message? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.ms...

form error
Help! I am using a command button from a subform to open form and I am getting an error. It says "the table tbleActivityNote is already opened exclusively by another user, or is already opened by the user interface and cannot be opened programically". I have this same concept on 3 other forms with now problems. THanks for any ideas. Did you bind your forms to tables or queries? You should be using queries. sue gray wrote: >Help! I am using a command button from a subform to open form and I am >getting an error. It says "the table tbleActivityNote is already...

tasks entered in taskpad don't appear in task folder
All of the tasks that I have entered via the taskpad do not appear in the task folder, what am I doing wrong or do I have the wrong expectation? OL98/WinXP John Keith kd0gd@juno.com What view are you using on your Tasks folder? --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. "John Keith" <kd0gd@juno.com> wrote in message = news:6grrm0hkagessu2ecc0bj81pc41aarq39r@4ax.com... | All of the tasks that I have...

Multiple Item Forms
Hi. I am new to your form and am struggling with the Multiple Item Forms. I want a combo box on the top that will select an id number from a table called 'SurveyA'. The multiple item form should then only display the records in a table called 'ActTravDiary' with that id number. As the ID number is changed a new group of records should be displayed in the form. I know how to initiate a change in one combo box based on another combo box (i.e. Row Source), but I cannot find a similar property for the multiple item forms. Please help. On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:00:2...

Routing Forms
I'd like to create a form in a public folder that a user can fill out and click submit. When they click submit, the form would go to an internal recipient who would either approve or reject it. If they reject it a notice goes back to the sender. If they approve it, it would go onto the next level for approval. Is this possible? Are there any good directions? Thanks, Glenn Same here. GroupWise has this function, and we used it heavily. I need to do some deep research on it again. Todd "Glenn" <nospam@monsonschools.com> wrote in message news:%23EajC2pkEHA.2340@T...

Set Enabled On All Controls in a Form?
I am trying to set all controls visible, unlocked, and enabled, as the baseline for disabling or locking down some fields based on other criteria. Here's what I tried, which gives me an "Invalid or unqualified reference" error: Function SetEnabledFieldsBase() Dim ctl As Control For Each ctl In Me.Controls .Enabled = True .Visible = True .Locked = False Next ctl End Function I based this on several examples that were intended to do something to all text boxes on a form. (I have never done this before, so sorry if this i...

Open Continuous form with a few lines showing
Hi I have successfully implemented a continuous form to open at a new line with RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew in the Load Event However, you have to manually scroll a little to see a few of the previous records. It would be nice to see up to 5 of these previous lines on Opening the form Is there a way to modify this code to do that? Thanks Neil Change the form's underlying record source to a Top 5 query. In a query's design view, right click in a blank area, and choose properties. Set the Top Values to 5, then adjust your criteria and order by clause to ret...

Importing Purchase orders with integration manager.
When I import a purchase order in Excel, GP creates a separate po for each line item. How do I get the line items under one PO number? I notice that the SQL option does not allow you to have a query relationship. You will need two source tables, one with PO header info and one with line information. Use two sources in Integration Manager and relate them by a common field (like PO Number) If I remember correctly, there is a sample integration provided just like this. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users For help learning and better using Dyna...

I keep getting an error "Operation cannot be completed, one or mo.
I have just installed Office Professinal 2003. Every time I try to use any of the features in Outlook I get the following; "Operation cannot be completed, one or more parameter values are not valid" PLEASE advise! Here is Info from microsoft KB You receive the "One or more parameter values are not valid" error message when you update a task in Outlook 2000 or in Outlook 2002 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197036 This info for Outlook 2000, and Outlook 2002, but If this info match with your case, follow instruction. "BigMac" <...

filter records in a form
I've created a form with its subform to enter tasks of employees. however I need filter records only for active employees The form has as a source, the table CARD_EMP (employee card). It has a field ST_EMP for the employee status (Active , Pasive) In the Event Form_Current I wrote DoCmd.ApplyFilter ST_EMP='A' but it doesn't work Thanks for advance Carlos -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Hi mamumi Your advice was the solution Thanks a lot Carlos -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscodin...

rudimentary database form maybe?
Several times a week i have a group of students penning out forms - i then spend the afternoon typing them all into a spreadsheet or a word table which i can use as a rudimentary database I'm looking for a method of using an electronic form for the students to complete directly My problem is that several students will be completing their own form/record/row simultaneously on several different (networked) computers and need these to appear as seperate records/rows I can't use Access since the company don't have it installed - but i don't mind using Word table or Excel s...

GENERATE a TEXT FILE Using INPUT from a Form ??
I need to generate a Text file using (partly) information entered by the user on a form. I already have the TEMPLATE for the text file......I need to generate a COPY of the file with the word entered by the user into the form INSERTED into the text file. The text file is actually code for a web page (will have an .htm extension). The file is simply an exact copy of an existing template with only ONE ITEM of the text changed to a word that is entered into a form by a user. Example: One line within the template file is: "We have several of these items available in BLUE." I have...