Keeping forms in order they are entered?

I am working with a database that was designed for us and have pretty much
just used without having to change much in but have now run into a problem
and hope someone can help. We track and number complaints we recieve by
number using last digits of year recieved then next number, i.e. a complaint
recived 12/31/09 might be 9234 and first one received this year would be
10001 and the next would be 10002. The problem is now when I open my forms
and go to the last one it is the 9234 instead of the 10002 which I need. How
do I keep that last form I entered last the next time I open the database?
Thanks so much for any help!

0
WhitneyL

Whitney

Please give us a bit more to go on ...

How is that number being generated?  How is it being displayed?  Where?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"WhitneyL" <u57249@uwe> wrote in message news:a19d34784a8a8@uwe...
>I am working with a database that was designed for us and have pretty much
> just used without having to change much in but have now run into a problem
> and hope someone can help. We track and number complaints we recieve by
> number using last digits of year recieved then next number, i.e. a
> complaint
> recived 12/31/09 might be 9234 and first one received this year would be
> 10001 and the next would be 10002. The problem is now when I open my forms
> and go to the last one it is the 9234 instead of the 10002 which I need.
> How
> do I keep that last form I entered last the next time I open the database?
> Thanks so much for any help!

0
Jeff
1/4/2010 4:42:24 PM
Hi Jeff, Thanks for responding.
We enter that number based on the entry before it, it is not something that
is generated or an autonumber, just our own numbering system. It is just
displayed in a text box on the form, but for some reason that is the number
that the form is sorting itself by. More then one person enters the data so
that is why we need the last entry to be there when we go into the forms so
the numbers stay consectutive. I'm sorry if this does not help, I really do
not know much about setting these things up and the person that did is long
gone. Thanks again.

Jeff Boyce wrote:
>Whitney
>
>Please give us a bit more to go on ...
>
>How is that number being generated?  How is it being displayed?  Where?
>
>Regards
>
>Jeff Boyce
>Microsoft Access MVP
>
>>I am working with a database that was designed for us and have pretty much
>> just used without having to change much in but have now run into a problem
>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>> do I keep that last form I entered last the next time I open the database?
>> Thanks so much for any help!

0
WhitneyL
1/4/2010 5:07:30 PM
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 17:07:30 GMT, "WhitneyL" <u57249@uwe> wrote:

>Hi Jeff, Thanks for responding.
>We enter that number based on the entry before it, it is not something that
>is generated or an autonumber, just our own numbering system. It is just
>displayed in a text box on the form, but for some reason that is the number
>that the form is sorting itself by. More then one person enters the data so
>that is why we need the last entry to be there when we go into the forms so
>the numbers stay consectutive. I'm sorry if this does not help, I really do
>not know much about setting these things up and the person that did is long
>gone. Thanks again.

Access data is not stored in Forms - the form is just a window, and the data
is stored in a Table. The Form has a "recordsource" property which might be
the name of a table or of a query.

Data in tables *has no order* - it's just a heap of records. If you want a
specific order you must use a Query sorting the records; it's possible that
the person who set this database up did so incorrectly.

Open the Form in design view, and look at its Properties. Find the
Recordsource property (first on the data tab) - what's in it? Click the ...
icon by the property to open a Query Design window; if Access lets you do so,
select View... SQL on the menu and copy and paste the SQL text to a message
here (it may look like Sanskrit to you at this point but there are gurus
here...)
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

--
Build a little, test a little.

"WhitneyL" wrote:

> Hi Jeff, Thanks for responding.
> We enter that number based on the entry before it, it is not something that
> is generated or an autonumber, just our own numbering system. It is just
> displayed in a text box on the form, but for some reason that is the number
> that the form is sorting itself by. More then one person enters the data so
> that is why we need the last entry to be there when we go into the forms so
> the numbers stay consectutive. I'm sorry if this does not help, I really do
> not know much about setting these things up and the person that did is long
> gone. Thanks again.
>
> Jeff Boyce wrote:
> >Whitney
> >
> >Please give us a bit more to go on ...
> >
> >How is that number being generated?  How is it being displayed?  Where?
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Jeff Boyce
> >Microsoft Access MVP
> >
> >>I am working with a database that was designed for us and have pretty much
> >> just used without having to change much in but have now run into a problem
> >[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
> >> do I keep that last form I entered last the next time I open the database?
> >> Thanks so much for any help!
>
> .

Well we could be getting to the problem, in the recordsource it says
TblComplaints, which would be the table for our complaints, then when I click
Query Design window thing it says "You invoked the query builder on a table.
Do you want to create a query based on the table?" Does this help? Thanks so
much!

John W. Vinson wrote:
>>Hi Jeff, Thanks for responding.
>>We enter that number based on the entry before it, it is not something that
>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>>not know much about setting these things up and the person that did is long
>>gone. Thanks again.
>
>Access data is not stored in Forms - the form is just a window, and the data
>is stored in a Table. The Form has a "recordsource" property which might be
>the name of a table or of a query.
>
>Data in tables *has no order* - it's just a heap of records. If you want a
>specific order you must use a Query sorting the records; it's possible that
>the person who set this database up did so incorrectly.
>
>Open the Form in design view, and look at its Properties. Find the
>Recordsource property (first on the data tab) - what's in it? Click the ...
>icon by the property to open a Query Design window; if Access lets you do so,
>select View... SQL on the menu and copy and paste the SQL text to a message
>here (it may look like Sanskrit to you at this point but there are gurus
>here...)

0
WhitneyL
1/4/2010 6:08:12 PM
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 18:08:12 GMT, "WhitneyL" <u57249@uwe> wrote:

>Well we could be getting to the problem, in the recordsource it says
>TblComplaints, which would be the table for our complaints, then when I click
>Query Design window thing it says "You invoked the query builder on a table.
>Do you want to create a query based on the table?" Does this help? Thanks so
>much!

Yep! Since the Form is based on a Table, the records will be presented in
whatever order Access finds convenient (which may not be what YOU would find
convenient).

Accept Access' offer. You will then be put into a query design grid. Add all
the fields from the table (all the fields that you want on the form, to be
precise) to the query grid, and sort by the ID field. One question though:
what is the datatype of the field? If it's Number then 9234 will sort before
10002, but if it is Text then "9234" will sort after "10002" (because the text
string "92..." is greater, alphabetically, than the text string "10...").
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Keeping focus on a text box
I have a form on which I'm using my own record selector buttons to move between records. I'd like to use some code to keep focus on a particular text box (ItemNum) when moving between records if ItemNum had the focus prior to moving to the next record. ItemNum is not the default 1st Text box on the form. Any suggestions? Thanks Kevin D "Kevin D." <KevinD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF2CEF17-ADA7-4253-8CDD-DB2AC3DD5117@microsoft.com... > I have a form on which I'm using my own record selector buttons to move > between records. I...

Code to fill Word form for multiple records from Access
This is the code I've been working with, but it freezes Access: Private Sub Command66_Click() 'Print Physician Profile. Dim appWord As Word.Application Dim doc As Word.Document 'Avoid error 429, when Word isn't open. On Error Resume Next Err.Clear 'Set appWord object variable to running instance of Word. Set appWord = GetObject(, "Word.Application") If Err.Number <> 0 Then 'If Word isn't open, create a new instance of Word. Set appWord = New Word.Application End If Set rs = Db.OpenRecordset rst.Open Me.RecordSource, CurrentProject.Co...

Credit Card Address verification for mail order???
how do you get address verification from the credit card transaction for mail order. EXAMPLE when some one calls there card number in how do you get address verification, Zip code match or exact match. our old system ( not the RMS) would ask you if this is a mail order or phone order and if it was it would ask for address and then zip code then it would print on the receipt if it was a exact match. thanks for the help RMS does not support address verification. There are a couple of add-ins that allow this, or if you process the payments in PCCharge outside of RMS (not using the integ...

Order #7446453 - Christmas Ornamwents
Lisa, I was so sorry to hear of your loss.I received an e-mail from paypal refunding the amount of my order. Does this mean that you are not able to fill my order. I hope that you can fill my order, because I looked a long time before I found the perfect wooden ornaments. I give my nieces, nephews, and all of my kids snowman ornaments every year for Chrismas, and it is getting to be a real challenge to find something different each year, If you can't complete my order, I understand, but would really appreciate it if you could. I don't expect any refund for late shipping...

Input a date using a Form Button.
Hi, Please help as I'm totally lost with this one! I'm doing a little project for work and I have come across a littl problem with a date input that I have set up using a Form Button. No this button once pressed enters the date just as I want, into th correct Cell (the buttons called "Todays Date") Now I have recorded macro so that the button executes the =TODAY() comand - which is fin untill the date changes!! As you can emagine I need the date to stay a it was when first pressed as its a database I'm trying to compile. Does this make any sense to you all?? I will...

Searching for Alt-Enter in a worksheet
Hi, I have a .csv file im trying to convert to .wk4, but one of the problems I'm having is one of the fields is a address field where the user before used "alt-enter" to create multi line address in one cell. Is there any way I can search and replace all the "alt-enter" characters and replace them with commas. Highlight that column, CTRL-H, then: Find What: CTRL-J Replace With: , (<comma><space>) Click Replace All You might need to turn off Wrap Text, by going to Format | Cells | Alignment tab. Hope this helps. Pete On Feb 19...

Journal Form...?
On my computer at work, in the Outlook (Xp) Journal - form, the pull down for "Entry Type" is blank except for "Access, Excel, Power Point..." Where did the "Phone Call, Note, Fax, Meeting, etc..." go? How do I get the proper list back? I have tried [Help-Detect and Repair] I have tried Properties (in Form Design) but the first page of the Journal Form in design mode is null... The various Journal entry types are registry entries. See http://www.inquiry.com/techtips/exo_pro/10min/10min0999.asp for information about how to add custom entries. The same pr...

All Office Programs Keep Crashing
Office 2007 Enterprise and Vista Not sure why, but recently Office 2007 programs keep crashing, specifically Word and Exel. I open a document or just the launch the program and it locks up and says "Not Responding" at the top. I ran Office Diagnotics to no avail. I uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 to no avail. HELP. Gary Elliott Have you tried to launch these programs from the executable files in .....program files (X86)/Microsoft Office/Office 12/..... ? If you are able to launch Word and Excel from their executable files then there is something wr...

Expense keeping in MS CRM
Hello. I have a prospective client with a particular need. I appreciate any potential solutions, including customizations or add-on products. A sales rep makes an appointment and almost always has travel expenses related to the appointment. My prospect would like the ability to use either Outlook, or preferably CRM to track expenses associated with an appointment, and then print an expense report at the end of a week or month. Does anyone know of solutions? Any add-on? Any customizations? Thanks for your assistance, Mitch Youngerman Insyte Busines Partners myoungerman@insytebus...

re-order items based on the average monthly sales
We want to set up our inventory items to reorder based on the average monthly sales x 6 (for a 6 month supply)- (amount on hand + on order). ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/...

open form with no data
Hi, I have a form on which i present al lot of data from a database. On the form is a comobox which i use to select the right record en present the data of this record on the form. When i open de form, de combobox is empty (which is good !) but the rest of the form is already filled with the data of a record in the database (which is not good). When i choose a record for the combobox, the form is filled with the data of that particular record (which is good). So the only problem i have is on opening the form. Is it possible to open the form without it being filled with data...

How do I keep chart/data link when copying worksheet
I have a worksheet for each month within a file - each worksheet has data tables, and some charts generated from that data. With Excel 2003, when I copied a worksheet within the same file (for example, to create the July sheet, by copying the June sheet) the charts in the new (copied) July sheet correctly linked to the July data. When I do the same in Excel 2007, the charts in the July sheet link back to the June data instead. I have looked through the options and cannot see how to do this. Is the data on the same sheet as the chart? In 2003, if the chart was on a different worksheet, ...

how can I attach a single access database form to an email
I want to attach a single database form to an email, im not sure if this is possible, Do you really mean a Form or a Report? Steve "tony" wrote: > I want to attach a single database form to an email, im not sure if this is > possible, Hi Steve, yes a report "SteveM" wrote: > Do you really mean a Form or a Report? > > Steve > > "tony" wrote: > > > I want to attach a single database form to an email, im not sure if this is > > possible, ...

password protected to sub form
i have a form which don't want to be used by everyone.it should be protected with a password. i have Main form which calls many sub forms, one of the sub forms need to be protected with password. Below are the forms created in my database frmForm frmMain1 frmPassword frmForm has a command button(cmdDo) which calls Form(frmPassword). in frmPassword there is text box(PASSWORD),when i type password as A to my text box this should open my frmMain1 ...

Open form to specific record from button on continuous form
I have a continous form with limited data and I would like to have a button which then opens up a selected record in another form. I've placed the button via the wizard and, while it opens the form, it doesn't open to the selected record. It it possible to have a button on a continous form which would then open to a bookmarked record on another form? The wizard put this code, is it possible to modify this? Thanks. Private Sub btnOpenForm_Click() On Error GoTo btnOpenForm_Click_Err DoCmd.OpenForm "frmName", acNormal, "", """...

Xrefs from Form Fields not Visible
I've got a form that uses xrefs (bookmarks) to repeat field text elsewhere in the doc. Some of the xrefs are showing up as gray boxes, but not all are. The xrefs are functional even if invisible. Removing the \h switch from the xref fields and updating the field does not cause the field to become gray. The paragraph style is the same for both visible and invisible xrefs. I'd like them all to be shown as gray boxes so that my (tech-unsavvy) users can see that the fields are actually there. I do have Show Bookmarks (and Field Shading) checked ON in Word Options. Tha...

Creating a form from two tables
Im looking for assistance. This database is used for evaluations. so a manager completes a form that has 25 questions. They do 4 evaluations a month on each employee. I have 3 tables the Evaluation information (Table 1), The Answer Information (Table 2) and the Question Table (Table 3) Is there a way to popuplate at form that has all the Evaluation Information, lists each question from table 3 with the Answer Information for each of those questions from Table 2. I haven't begun creating this database yet so if there is a better way to do it i am open to suggestions. Tabl...

Tickets/Work Orders in RMS.....?
I am about to implement RMS in our retail location, which to better help understand, we are a locksmith company.....I am hoping that RMS has a fit for the following scenario: Customers will come into our store, and bring in a part to be repaired or fixed, and will leave the part(s) and will return at a later time to pick up the item(s). I would like to be able to at the time of drop off, enter in the customer info, product info, service requested, etc., and be able to have the customer sign using our signature capture terminal, and print 2 tickets that 1 can stay with the part(s) in a...

Prevent user from closing form -- form event
I have 2 buttons on my form. Button1 to import the data and Button2 to upload to database. I want user to click first on button1 and then next on button2 before closing the form. What form event I should use to prevent user from closing the form with out clicking on 2nd button? Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/201004/1 You can use the Unload event. You can prevent the form closing by setting Cancel = True in the unload event. You will need a way to notify the form that uploading has finished. You can put a...

Mail from Windows Mail contact keeps going to Junk E-mail
How do I stop this? The contact is saved to My Contacts, but his mail keeps going to Junk bin. I have Windows Vista, and the Mail version is 6.0.6 Tools | Junk E-mail Options. Check your settings and the Blocked Senders list. Also check any rules you may have. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "communichi" <communichi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43C09F55-3EAB-46A5-8550-406E472A3A89@microsoft.com... > How do I stop this? The contact is saved to My Contacts, but his mail > keeps > going...

How do i create a record form out of each rows?

Event When Cell Entered
I'm trying to find a way to trigger an event when a cell is entered. I have a cell (named "Client_Name") which by default has the tex "Please enter name" in it. When a user clicks into the cell, I'd like to set the cell to empty, o an empty string, so that it's ready to accept client data entry. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! MTI -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following code. Put this in your worksheet module: Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub I...

how create sum function in form field
I'm trying to utilize the sum function in a field on an Outlook 2002 form. I want the form field to sum up the other form fields. Sum is not a function listed in the value tab. Please advise. ...

Setting up a form to input into selected worksheet
I am sure this is kinda simple but haven't messed around with it since the late 90's so here it goes. I have a workbook with about 40 different sheets each sheet has its basically for accounting issues each sheet has a about 1500 rows prefilled in with every date for a year on each row I have 5 withdraw columns and a deposit column and a running balance column. what I need to do is create a form on the first worksheet that will give you a list box of all the worksheets and then another field that will let you input the date and 2 more boxes one for withdraws and 1 for deposits a...

Basic Excel question, entering data masks/cover two cells
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a basic question with respect to entering data into excel on the Mac version of Excel. When I enter data (number or text), the enter box covers the cell where the entry is going and the cell above it. How do I force Excel to just occupy the cell that I want the entry to go in? I know there must be a quick setting that corrects this issue. On 5/3/10 9:50 AM, TerpGT@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel I have a basic question wit...