Invoice Form Question

I've created an Invoice form which seems to work pretty well for creating
invoices, but now the Office folks would like to add some functionality.
Right now, we track our orders by Order Number.  The Order Entry table
includes information that is unique to the order as a whole.  There is also
an associated Order Details table which includes information specific the
line item for a specific order.  The Part Numbers table includes information
that is standard to the Part Number.  Right now the Invoice information is
included on the Order Entry table.  My thinking was that the relationship of
invoices to order was one to one.  I have since learned that it isn't so and
that sometimes the same order for the same purchase order is invoiced more
than once to correct billing errors.  So, I've decided that I need an Invoice
table.  On it would be my Invoice Number as a Primary Key, my Batch Number,
the customer PO, the Invoice Date, the Total Amount Owed and the Total Amount
Paid.  I don't want to get blind sided again, so I was hoping some of you
could critique my plan of action and maybe give me some suggestions that will
anticipate future added functionality.  I don't work in the office, so I'm
not sure what they are going to want.  Anyhow, your input will be appreciated.
--
Why are you asking me?  I dont know what Im doing!

Jaybird

hi there
it seems you've got a good plan in your hands: the "standard" structure for
orders/invoices is:
Orders table (ordID as Primary key, dates customers etc...)
OrdDetails table (odetID as Primary key, ordID as foreign key, products
included in that order and possibly their qty and price)
Invoice table (invID as Primary key, ordID as foreign key)

Orders and ordDetails has one to many relationship
Orders and Invoice has one to many relationship

good luck
Erez.

"Jaybird" wrote:

> I've created an Invoice form which seems to work pretty well for creating
> invoices, but now the Office folks would like to add some functionality.
> Right now, we track our orders by Order Number.  The Order Entry table
> includes information that is unique to the order as a whole.  There is also
> an associated Order Details table which includes information specific the
> line item for a specific order.  The Part Numbers table includes information
> that is standard to the Part Number.  Right now the Invoice information is
> included on the Order Entry table.  My thinking was that the relationship of
> invoices to order was one to one.  I have since learned that it isn't so and
> that sometimes the same order for the same purchase order is invoiced more
> than once to correct billing errors.  So, I've decided that I need an Invoice
> table.  On it would be my Invoice Number as a Primary Key, my Batch Number,
> the customer PO, the Invoice Date, the Total Amount Owed and the Total Amount
> Paid.  I don't want to get blind sided again, so I was hoping some of you
> could critique my plan of action and maybe give me some suggestions that will
> anticipate future added functionality.  I don't work in the office, so I'm
> not sure what they are going to want.  Anyhow, your input will be appreciated.
> --
> Why are you asking me?  I dont know what Im doing!
>
> Jaybird
Thank you very much for your response!  It's gratifying to know that I'm
making progress here and useful to know what "standard" set ups exist.  I'm
self taught (apart from the excellent advice I get here), so I hate to
re-invent the wheel every time I start a project.
--

"Erez Mor" wrote:

> hi there
> it seems you've got a good plan in your hands: the "standard" structure for
> orders/invoices is:
> Orders table (ordID as Primary key, dates customers etc...)
> OrdDetails table (odetID as Primary key, ordID as foreign key, products
> included in that order and possibly their qty and price)
> Invoice table (invID as Primary key, ordID as foreign key)
>
> Orders and ordDetails has one to many relationship
> Orders and Invoice has one to many relationship
>
> good luck
> Erez.
>
> "Jaybird" wrote:
>
> > I've created an Invoice form which seems to work pretty well for creating
> > invoices, but now the Office folks would like to add some functionality.
> > Right now, we track our orders by Order Number.  The Order Entry table
> > includes information that is unique to the order as a whole.  There is also
> > an associated Order Details table which includes information specific the
> > line item for a specific order.  The Part Numbers table includes information
> > that is standard to the Part Number.  Right now the Invoice information is
> > included on the Order Entry table.  My thinking was that the relationship of
> > invoices to order was one to one.  I have since learned that it isn't so and
> > that sometimes the same order for the same purchase order is invoiced more
> > than once to correct billing errors.  So, I've decided that I need an Invoice
> > table.  On it would be my Invoice Number as a Primary Key, my Batch Number,
> > the customer PO, the Invoice Date, the Total Amount Owed and the Total Amount
> > Paid.  I don't want to get blind sided again, so I was hoping some of you
> > could critique my plan of action and maybe give me some suggestions that will
> > anticipate future added functionality.  I don't work in the office, so I'm
> > not sure what they are going to want.  Anyhow, your input will be appreciated.
> > --
> > Why are you asking me?  I dont know what Im doing!
> >
> > Jaybird
Well, it looks like I could use an Invoice Details table as well, to store
all line items associated with a particular Purchase Order...  or maybe not.
Comments?
--
Why are you asking me?  I dont know what Im doing!

Jaybird

I've run into an issue that I am having problems resolving...

As you say, I have an Orders table, and Order Details table, an an Invoice
table.  The way I conceived it, the Order Details are related to the Order
Details by the Order Number field.  It is the PK in the Orders table and the
FK in the Order Details table.  This way, I can keep track of all my orders
and the Parts, quantities, etc. in the Order Details table by means of a
subform in a form I call Order Entry.  Similarly, I would like to track all
the orders and the invoices associated with a particular Purchase Order.  The
primary key in my Invoice table is the Customer Purchase Order Number, so
that each purchase order can have many invoices (well, more than one at
times).  Currently, I have a form based on my Invoice table.  I embedded a
subform based on information from both the Order Details table and the
Invoice table.  Well, I'm having trouble getting the information to be
updatable.  I thought that perhaps my relationships were faulty, as the
Invoice table is related to both the Orders table by the Purchase Order field
and to the Order Details table by the Order Number field.  Now I wonder if
it's simply the way I constructed my form.  Perhaps the thing to do is to
base my main form on a query that restricts the records from the Orders table
include only the Purcase Order number and relate the Invoices and the Orders
by means of subforms...?  The problem I have now is that since the invoice
table doesn't contain the purchase order information until I input it, no
matching records show up in my subform.
--

"Jaybird" wrote:

> Well, it looks like I could use an Invoice Details table as well, to store
> all line items associated with a particular Purchase Order...  or maybe not.
> Comments?
> --
> Why are you asking me?  I dont know what Im doing!
>
> Jaybird

Macro Question Again
I'v never had any dealings w/ macro before, so this is all new to me. I have a windows 98 computer that is running office 2000 and there is an excel macro on this pc that was created by someone years ago. I have to get this 98 machine of the network and replace it w/ a 2000/XP platform also running either office 2000/xp. So far i'v copied the macro and am able to run it, but its not gathering the correct info. It is collecting the correct info on the 98 machine, just not the one im replacing it w/. It looks like some of the fields are supposed to be populated w/ info in a text d...

Question on Returns to Vendor without PO & Receipt number
Our company switched to Great Plains Dynamics from Simply Accounting 3 months ago. We currently need to return some of the inventory items to our vendors. However, when we try to enter a transaction entry in Purchasing/Returns Transaction Entry, in the detail lines we are asked for the PO number or the receipt number. We are not allowed to go further or save without the PO number or receipt number. When we converted from Simply Accounting, all we entered was the beginning balance of the vendors and only the PO's which we expect to receive. The older PO's were not carried over. W...

Lookup Function in user form
I have a combo box (cboitem1) and a text box (txtprice1). I am using the code below to have txtprice1 fill with the corresponding price the worksheet: Private Sub Cboitem1_Change() If cboItem1 <> "" Then txtprice1.Value = Excel.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(cboItem1.Value, Sheets("Pizzas").Range("A1:B65536"), 2, False) End If End Sub It works perfectly when you enter an existing value in cboitem1. However if 'the user' accidently types a letter that is not the first letter of one of the existing items VB debugging pops up with error &qu...

Licensing Question with Professional Suite
Hey, I've seen some licensing questions out there, but wanted to be clear. Microsoft Reps are giving me different information, but admit they do not know!? I think there needs to be a little more training with the CRM licensing. I need the CRM Professional Suite (sales and service). If I have 5 sales people (that don't really need to get into the Service Stuff), and I have 5 Service People (that don't need to do anything with Leads and other stuff), can I purchase 5 Sales Professional Users and 5 Service Professional Users? Or do I still need to purchase the Suite User...

Questions about Migrating from Outlook Express to Outlook
I'm thinking about migrating from OE 6 to Outlook 2003 and was wondering if I will lose my folder structures, rules, and address book by doing so. I also use Yahoo POPs for importing my Yahoo e-mails into OE. Will I need to reconfigure the Yahoo POPs to work with Outlook after the migration? Thanks in advance for your help! Spudy Not sure about the YahooPOPs thing but using Outlook's File menu > Import & Export command should get most of the data. You can also try exporting from OE. "Spudy" <spudy@spamless.com> wrote in message news:th1hd1ddvnto8he4fsv9mluf...

Which Controls to Build a Parent/Child Web Form
Hi there, I'm quite new to asp.net, but know exactly how to do this using classic ASP, but would like some pointers for aspnet2. I've got data being returned from an SP which looks like this: HeaderItem ChildItem A A1 A A2 A A3 B B1 etc I want to display the data like this A - This is the header record A1 A2 A3 B - Header 2 B1 etc. In classic ASP I'd write out my header row html when HeaderItem changes value and then write the Child Rows. As I've on...

IF question...
I need a formula which will allow me to accept a number if it falls within a certain range. For instance, I want the cell to recognize the number in the cell if it falls between 1 and 10. Otherwise, I want the cell to return a 0 value. Anybody? =IF(AND(A1>=1,A1<=10),what?,0) On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:15:06 -0700, "mailrail" <mailrail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need a formula which will allow me to accept a number if it falls within a >certain range. For instance, I want the cell to recognize the number in the >cell if it falls between 1 and 10....

Outlook macro question
I have two email accounts in Outlook 2003. I know about the Accounts drop list in new emails. But is it possible to create a few macros so that I end up with two buttons where each runs a macro that starts a new email using a specific account? One button would start a new email using account 1 and the other button would start a new email using account 2. If so, could someone please give me some pointers? Thanks. Outlook doesn't provide any direct way to change the account for an = outgoing message in versions before Outlook 2003. See=20 http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=3D88...

addressing envelope from data input form
I don't know where to start to try this. I have the following fields that make up the entire address: Fname Lname Fname2 Lname 2 Address City, State Zip Is there any way to "push a button" on a form and have it print an envelope for that record? Thanks in advance for any help. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Have you thought of using an MS template as a starting point? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101172481033.aspx Dave Eliot wrote: >I don't know where to start to try this. > >I have the following fields ...

Viewing xml created in .Net in a ASP form VB6
I have been trying to create an xml document in VB.Net for displaying on an existing page written in ASP. im having a type mismatch error in my code. When i view my XML i have the following included in the <binary> node. <Binary xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes" dt:dt="bin.base64">DATA HERE </Binary My issue is how do i set the datatype of the the node using dotnet so that i can replicate the same node structure and use my existing ASP page. thanks in advance Colin Graham ...

Stack overflow question
Occassionally when on Facebookwith MSIE if I have 2 instance of Facebook open (Different pages) I will get an error message of "Stack Overflow at Line: 31". When I click OK the page finishes loading fine. Any suggestions as to what is going on? Running: <<< System Summary >>> > Manufacturer : eMachines Inc. > Mainboard : eMachines WMCP61M > Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V > Processor : AMD Athlon Neo MV 26 @ 1600 MHz > Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM ) > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ...

Easy question on Excel...
Hello I have an Excel workbook open which has 5 worksheets. How do I toggle through them manually without using the mouse to click a sheet? I am sure I used to know how but now I forget! Regards Alex Try Ctrl + PageUp Ctrl + PageDown Regard -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Well done. Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >Try > >Ctrl + PageUp > >Ctrl + PageDown > >Regards > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > >. > Ctrl + Page Up or Page Dow -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi I th...

Creating a form or template
We scanned in an image of a post it note that has graphics on it. It is a jpg file. Can we somehow make this jpg file a form or template in Outlook? Ideally, we want to pull up a form that looks like the image of a post it note with the graphics in tact and be able to compose a message on the email post it note. How do you accomplish this? Thanks! ...

Adding BMPs to a form
I use Access 2003. I have a table set up with a field for pictures, this table sits behind a form to add BMPs, which display on the form and print on reports. In the past, when I have had to reinstall Access for any reason, the pictures instead of displaying fully in the form, only show as thumbnails with the file name. I have in the past resoved this by removing Microsoft Picture manager from MS Office. I don't know how I figured that out or why it works but it does. However, I had to reinstall Office yesterday, removed MS Pictrue Manager as usual and it's NOT working ...

Button Control Event: question
I have a small dialog that prints data it queries from a server to a listbox when a user presses a start button. What I'd like to do is to have the data continually print after the button is pressed until the user presses a stop button. So, I guess I would need to initiate some kind of continuous loop for the data querying/printing, but I'm unsure how to get the stop button to break the loop. If this even the best solution. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could accomplish this, or perhaps a better design idea? Thanks, Marcus Marcus wrote: > I have a small dialog that prints d...

Removing gray shading in protected forms (drop down box)
Hello- I am creating some contract templates for my company's sales force using Word 2003. I am using the forms toolbar to insert checkboxes and drop down boxes from which to select deliverable specifications. The problem is that when a user selects an option from the drop down box, the gray shading remains. I know the sales teams HATE the gray shading because they don't think it looks very good when sending to customers. Is there a way to disable the shading when an option is selected? Thanks. You can remove form field shading altogether using the corresponding b...

Excel template and access questions
We are going to use the Excel purhase order templates. We need to save each order in order to refer back to it. Is there a way to do this without saving each individual file (order)? Can we save in some sort of easy to locate "batch"? Also, is there a way to transfer a template that we have done (and all the data realted to it) into a Acess database withouthaveing to so much tweaking? If you have Access, I would suggest creating your purchase order database in Access and then having a mail merge push this information into an Excel template as needed, rather than going the othe...

Simple question about text within a cell
I can't seem to find the option that prevents text from covering the adjacent cell. For example if I type the folling in cell A1: All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth. Obviously that will overflow over the cell B1 (if there is no data in B1). I don't want to resize my column, I only want the cell to show as much text in A1 as possible without covering cell B1. I believe I've seen the option to do what I'm looking for but I can't seem to find it and I can't figure out how to look it up in the HELP file. Thanks in advance. Rick My simple solution ha...

Combo values from query based on form fields
I am setting the values for a combo box in a form(s) via a query that 'filters' the results with criteria based upon the values of other fields on the form. The combo is a field that is bound. However, this is giving all kinds of problems ranging from Access completely crashing to being asked for the parameter values of those criteria fields when closing the form. I have tried making the combo an unbound field and then setting the value of the bound field to that unbound field after update, but that still leads to the same issues. How can I do this? As example - I have a form w...

Windows Pro C.O.A. Question
I have a Dell Latitude D510 with Windows XP Pro SP2 installed. It's used and the machine didn't come with a restore disk, and there is no restore partition. But the COA sticker is attached to the bottom of the machine. I have an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro with SP2. If I have to reinstall the operating system, can I use the OEM version and use the laptop's COA to activate Windows? I realize that I may have to hunt down drivers such as WiFi and sound if they aren't included with my OEM copy. Thanks Don wrote: > I have a Dell Latitude D510 with Windows X...

Some stupid questions about edit the aspx file
Hi, I'm quite newbie about asp.net & other web application. I've heared that we can put some code in the CRM aspx file. For example, we can make OnChange event to the textbox in CRM & put some code in it. I know it is unsupported by microsoft, but I need to know how to do it. I've been searching this newsgroup & microsoft.public.crm, but I couldn't found any sample. My question is pretty simple (or stupid, I guess): I've looked in inetpub\wwwroot\SFA\quotes\edit.aspx, but I don't know what to do. My friend telling me that the code behind, is under som...

Address Book renaming contacts. (2 questions)
For WHATEVER reason Outlook 2002 - XP is renaming my contacts in my address book.. so when I try and use autocomplete it doesn't work. (Type in "Sha" to get the choice between Shadow and Sha'mer and it just gives me Sha'mer) So - gritting my teeth - I go in and change the name of the contact BACK to Shadow and it STILL doesn't register in the autocomplete. 1) How the (ahem) do I get Outlook to stop renaming my contacts? 2) How do I get it to recognize names in the autocomplete? I now have about 7 that it doesn't, and it's a royal pain. Thanks for your tim...

ActiveX vs Forms
Hello- I am trying to embed some option buttons on a worksheet. I want to have two sets of buttons which are mutually exclusive, say A-D and then 1-3. I want to start with 1-3 hidden and if the user chooses option D from the first set then 1-3 will be revealed. I did this fine with the activex option buttons and VBA, however, it is not recognizing A-D and 1-3 as separate groups. Therefore, as soon as the user select 1,2 or 3, it will uncheck D and therefore rehide the remaining numbered boxes. I grouped and named each set of buttons together, but that did not work. If I try to use a group...

Refresh Results In A Second Subform In A Form
Hi, This could be a tricky one. What I've done is created a Form named ACCOUNTS SELECT which has a control being a Comb Box named 'PICK RESNAME' and an embedded subform which returns all the records according to the particular data from the 'PICK RESNAME' Combo Box. Thats all fine and well ! But what I need is to pick specific records and to store them in a let's say temporary Table which I will print out via a Report. For this temporary table, I have created in the Form ACCOUNTS SELECT another Subform which I hoped will view all the selections I have made...

RMS User Question/Problem
Hello, I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it (for the first time) it asks me user ID and password, but have not yet established one, and is the first time I run the program! (Or is it comes with some standard user / default?) User ID: 1 Password: password Robert Armstrong RMS Systems Inc. "F.Misle" <F.Misle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B29A28E5-315C-4A1A-9490-A497651736A0@microsoft.com... > Hello, > I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it > (for the first...