insert contents with ',' in it

Tried to duplicate the contents of a field from one table to another in an
update statement. However, due to the contents has a ','. Hence I got the
runtime error 3075 Syntax eror (misssing operator) in query expression.

The field is of type 'memo' in both table. When certain condition met, I
copy the contents of the field from one table and duplicate it on another
table. BUT how do I over comes the ',' problem in the field.

0
Smiley

What process are you using?
--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:12:57 -0000, "Smiley" <firework123@googlemail.com>
wrote:

>Tried to duplicate the contents of a field from one table to another in an
>update statement. However, due to the contents has a ','. Hence I got the
>runtime error 3075 Syntax eror (misssing operator) in query expression.
>
>The field is of type 'memo' in both table. When certain condition met, I
>copy the contents of the field from one table and duplicate it on another
>table. BUT how do I over comes the ',' problem in the field.

Enlose the text string in quote marks. You need to do so anyway!

Perhaps you could post the SQL of your query.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
12/20/2007 7:42:21 PM
On Dec 20, 11:42 am, John W. Vinson
<jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:12:57 -0000, "Smiley" <firework...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Tried to duplicate the contents of a field from one table to another in an
> >update statement. However, due to the contents has a ','. Hence I got the
> >runtime error 3075 Syntax eror (misssing operator) in query expression.
>
> >The field is of type 'memo' in both table. When certain condition met, I
> >copy the contents of the field from one table and duplicate it on another
> >table. BUT how do I over comes the ',' problem in the field.
>
> Enlose the text string in quote marks. You need to do so anyway!
>
> Perhaps you could post the SQL of your query.
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

I agree with John - also you need some sort of wrapper function that
handles the unholiness of ' and ", or alternatively, do it the good
ol' recordset way that will handle all this badness.

-- James
0
Minton
12/21/2007 12:23:16 AM
Hi there,

I don't think my basic query has any problem. Anyway here they are :

        'DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO TProjectItems (ProjectID, ItemID, Unit,
Qty, Item) values (Forms!FProjectItems.ProjectID," & Me!ItemID & ", tUnit,
tQty, tItem);"
        DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO TProjectItems (ProjectID, ItemID,
itemdesc, Unit, Qty, Item) values (Forms!FProjectItems.ProjectID," &
Me!ItemID & "," & Me!ItemDesc & ", tUnit, tQty, tItem);"
        xtemp = DLookup("[ProjItemID]", "TProjectitems", "[ProjectID] = '" &
Forms!FProjectItems!ProjectID & "' AND [ItemID] =" & Me!ItemID)
        DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE TProjectItems SET ItemDesc=" & Me!ItemDesc & "
WHERE ProjectItemID = " & xtemp
The first docmd was comment out, if you carry on reading you will know what
I was doing. The next one was the one which I want to do but getting the run
time error as the field ItemDesc is a memo field from Product table and the
content was like "the plant, pot, flower etc are to be in the shed. The
corner, edges are to be in far end of garden.". Since the content contains ,
which cause the problem.

Next, I commented out the 2nd docmd and uncomment the first one, changed the
ItemDesc field to text and run the 1st, 3rd and 4th line of statement and
still getting the same error.

Is there anyway which I would add this field into table TProjectItems.

Also any other way to get the last record autonumber. I don't know how to
get the last used autonumber so I used the Dlookup to get it for the UPDATE
statement above.

Anyone would give this as my X'mas presie ?

"Minton M" <jamesbeswick@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Dec 20, 11:42 am, John W. Vinson
> <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:12:57 -0000, "Smiley" <firework...@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Tried to duplicate the contents of a field from one table to another in
>> >an
>> >update statement. However, due to the contents has a ','. Hence I got
>> >the
>> >runtime error 3075 Syntax eror (misssing operator) in query expression.
>>
>> >The field is of type 'memo' in both table. When certain condition met, I
>> >copy the contents of the field from one table and duplicate it on
>> >another
>> >table. BUT how do I over comes the ',' problem in the field.
>>
>> Enlose the text string in quote marks. You need to do so anyway!
>>
>> Perhaps you could post the SQL of your query.
>>
>>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
>
> I agree with John - also you need some sort of wrapper function that
> handles the unholiness of ' and ", or alternatively, do it the good
> ol' recordset way that will handle all this badness.
>
> -- James

0
Smiley
12/21/2007 12:44:40 PM
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:44:40 -0000, "Smiley" <firework123@googlemail.com>
wrote:

>The first docmd was comment out, if you carry on reading you will know what
>I was doing. The next one was the one which I want to do but getting the run
>time error as the field ItemDesc is a memo field from Product table and the
>content was like "the plant, pot, flower etc are to be in the shed. The
>corner, edges are to be in far end of garden.". Since the content contains ,
>which cause the problem.

The solution to the problem is to incorporate " delimiters surrounding the
ItemDesc field value that you're inserting. That's required ANYWAY for
inserting a text value into a Text or Memo field, with or without commas! Try
changing the second DoCmd line to

        DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO TProjectItems (ProjectID, ItemID,
itemdesc, Unit, Qty, Item) values (Forms!FProjectItems.ProjectID," &
Me!ItemID & ",""" & Me!ItemDesc & """, tUnit, tQty, tItem);"

The triple-doublequotes are there to put two doublequotes inside the
doublequote delimited string; a double doublequote is seen as a doublequote
(now how's THAT for doubletalk!)

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
12/21/2007 4:51:35 PM
Hi there,

Wishing you all a happy new year and hoped you had a relaxing holidays.

Thanks for your advises. Here are the sql

1.        DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO TProjectItems (ProjectID, ItemID, Unit,
Qty, Item) values (Forms!FProjectItems.ProjectID," & Me!ItemID & ", tUnit,
tQty, tItem);"
2.        'DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO TProjectItems (ProjectID, ItemID,
itemdesc, Unit, Qty, Item) values (Forms!FProjectItems.ProjectID," &
Me!ItemID & "," & Me!ItemDesc & ", tUnit, tQty, tItem);"
3.        xtemp = DLookup("[ProjItemID]", "TProjectitems", "[ProjectID] = '"
& Forms!FProjectItems!ProjectID & "' AND [ItemID] =" & Me!ItemID)
        DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE TProjectItems SET ItemDesc=" & Me!ItemDesc & "
WHERE ProjectItemID = " & xtemp
   Else
4.    xtemp = DLookup("[ProjItemID]", "TProjectitems", "[ProjectID] = '" &
Forms!FProjectItems!ProjectID & "' AND [ItemID] =" & Me!ItemID)
            DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE * FROM TProjectitems WHERE ProjectID = '" &
Forms!FProjectItems.ProjectID & "' AND [ItemID]=" & Me!ItemID
    End If

I have labelled the line as 1 - 4

Originally I only has line 2 but due to the error which I encountered. I
tried the line 1 together with line 3 and 4 but what ever way I tried, once
it comes to insert the description which inadvertly has ',' or '.' in the
contents and those ',' and '.'  could occurred more then once.

Look forward to hear from your advice

"Minton M" <jamesbeswick@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Dec 20, 11:42 am, John W. Vinson
> <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:12:57 -0000, "Smiley" <firework...@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Tried to duplicate the contents of a field from one table to another in
>> >an
>> >update statement. However, due to the contents has a ','. Hence I got
>> >the
>> >runtime error 3075 Syntax eror (misssing operator) in query expression.
>>
>> >The field is of type 'memo' in both table. When certain condition met, I
>> >copy the contents of the field from one table and duplicate it on
>> >another
>> >table. BUT how do I over comes the ',' problem in the field.
>>
>> Enlose the text string in quote marks. You need to do so anyway!
>>
>> Perhaps you could post the SQL of your query.
>>
>>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
>
> I agree with John - also you need some sort of wrapper function that
> handles the unholiness of ' and ", or alternatively, do it the good
> ol' recordset way that will handle all this badness.
>
> -- James

0
Smiley
1/7/2008 9:10:58 AM
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:10:58 -0000, "Smiley" <firework123@googlemail.com>
wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Wishing you all a happy new year and hoped you had a relaxing holidays.
>
>Thanks for your advises. Here are the sql
>
>1.        DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO TProjectItems (ProjectID, ItemID, Unit,
>Qty, Item) values (Forms!FProjectItems.ProjectID," & Me!ItemID & ", tUnit,
>tQty, tItem);"
>2.        'DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO TProjectItems (ProjectID, ItemID,
>itemdesc, Unit, Qty, Item) values (Forms!FProjectItems.ProjectID," &
>Me!ItemID & "," & Me!ItemDesc & ", tUnit, tQty, tItem);"
>3.        xtemp = DLookup("[ProjItemID]", "TProjectitems", "[ProjectID] = '"
>& Forms!FProjectItems!ProjectID & "' AND [ItemID] =" & Me!ItemID)
>        DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE TProjectItems SET ItemDesc=" & Me!ItemDesc & "
>WHERE ProjectItemID = " & xtemp
>   Else
>4.    xtemp = DLookup("[ProjItemID]", "TProjectitems", "[ProjectID] = '" &
>Forms!FProjectItems!ProjectID & "' AND [ItemID] =" & Me!ItemID)
>            DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE * FROM TProjectitems WHERE ProjectID = '" &
>Forms!FProjectItems.ProjectID & "' AND [ItemID]=" & Me!ItemID
>    End If

AGAIN:

If you try to insert any literal text at all into a field of Text or Memo
datatype, what you're inserting must be - NO OPTIONS! - delimited, either with
' or " as a text string delimiter. It doesn't matter whether the text you're
inserting contains commas; if it contains ' you can use " as the delimiter; if
it contains " you can use ' as the delimiter; or you can put two consecutive "
marks within the string delimited by " in order to insert just one.

You also need to include the syntactically required commas and other
punctuation as text strings in building your SQL string. You're freely mixing
VBA variables (tUnit, tQty, tItem) and SQL - that will NOT work, since the SQL
engine has no way to see the values of these variables.

Just as an example, you could change (2) to

Dim strSQL As String
strSQL =  "INSERT INTO TProjectItems (ProjectID, ItemID, " _
& "itemdesc, Unit, Qty, Item) Values (Forms!FProjectItems.ProjectID," _
& Me!ItemID & ",'" & Me!ItemDesc & "', '" & tUnit & "'," & tQty & ","_
& tItem & ");"
DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL

If Me!ItemDesc contains the text "Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my!" the
resulting SQL statement will resemble

INSERT INTO tProjectItems (ProjectID, ItemID, itemdesc, Unit, Qty, Item)
VALUES (Forms!FProjectItems.ProjectID,251,'Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh
my!','Each', 1, 2545);

Setting the value of a SQL string will help in debugging as you can actually
look at the SQL command which will be executed.

You have not (as requested) indicated the datatypes of these fields, but I'm
guessing that ItemDesc is a text or memo field. Any others? Which control
contains the commas causing the problem?

And... more basically - WHY are you doing this the hard way? Any major
objections to just using a bound form, with no code at all? I admit, sometimes
you must, and sometimes it's better - but it's not obvious in this case that
you gain anything by programmatically doing what Access does for you.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
1/7/2008 5:09:48 PM
Hi there,

thank you for the respond.

It was user requirement that certain 'field' can be changed. I have a table
which is a 'template' and then user would changed the values or contents of
various fields.

Yes, you are right, the ItemDesc is a memo field. As it is free text and
using the max 255 in a text field may not be enough hence memo. Any other
way that I would achieve the 'free text' input ?

I need to digest what you have wrrten and will get back to you.

> [...]
> VALUES (Forms!FProjectItems.ProjectID,251,'Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh
> my!','Each', 1, 2545);
>
> Setting the value of a SQL string will help in debugging as you can
> actually
> look at the SQL command which will be executed.
>
> You have not (as requested) indicated the datatypes of these fields, but
> I'm
> guessing that ItemDesc is a text or memo field. Any others? Which control
> contains the commas causing the problem?
>
> And... more basically - WHY are you doing this the hard way? Any major
> objections to just using a bound form, with no code at all? I admit,
> sometimes
> you must, and sometimes it's better - but it's not obvious in this case
> that
> you gain anything by programmatically doing what Access does for you.

0
Smiley
1/7/2008 5:58:27 PM
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:58:27 -0000, "Smiley" <firework123@googlemail.com>
wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>thank you for the respond.
>
>It was user requirement that certain 'field' can be changed. I have a table
>which is a 'template' and then user would changed the values or contents of
>various fields.

I do not understand what you mean by a "template". Is the user updating your
template table? or some other table? How are the tables related?

>Yes, you are right, the ItemDesc is a memo field. As it is free text and
>using the max 255 in a text field may not be enough hence memo. Any other
>way that I would achieve the 'free text' input ?

Well....

Yes.

Base a Form on the table, or on a query referencing the table.

Bind the ItemDesc field to a textbox on that form.

Let the user type free text... anything they like, including commas,
apostrophes, quotes, etc.

No code needed.

>I need to digest what you have wrrten and will get back to you.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John

Inserting document information in the footer

Why is hyperlink staying imbedded when I insert rows into Excel?
I keep constant notes on my Excel spreadsheet daily and have to insert rows from time to time. However, any typed hyperlinks seem to stay imbedded even though I have inserted rows to where the typed portion is moved. Please let me know what I can do to prevent this. Thank you. ...

Please insert a disk into removable drive
I've just bought a portable hard drive and i comes up with the error "please insert a disk into removable drive". I've tried changing the drive name from 'F:' to other letters and nothing works. I've tried uninstalling via device manager and reinstalling. I've tried searching for driver updates. None of these works. Can anyone please help? Thanks. ...

Common Bug
Hi, Im running word 2007 on windows 7 ultimate. When an image is inserted into a document and is larger than the current page it is automatically reduced in size to fit the page. Save the document, close it, reopen it and there will be unwanted black lines on the top and left hand edge of the image (like a black border on those sides). I think it is the auto resizing that causes it. If you search google there are a bunch of people with the same problem although i didnt find anyone identify it as due to the auto resizing. e.g. http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.docmanag...

Add TextBox with the content of a cell?
I'm having problems on how to automatically add a text box to chart...containing the text of a cell from an other sheet. Even when I put the textbox allready on the chart, I cannot put th text from say sheet1 cell A1 in that textbox. Does somebody have an answer to my problem? Thx Zur -- Zur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Zurn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1464 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26269 Select the chart Click in the Formula bar, and type an equal...

How do I insert an 11x17 page when other pages are 8.5x11?
In a 4-page, double-sided print newsletter laid out in 8.5" x 11" portrait, how do I make pages 2 & 3 into one 11" x 17" landscape page? I created a single 11" x 17" page in another Pub file - can I insert it like one inserts slides from one Powerpoint presentation into another? No, one size to a document. I'm trying to figured out how you are going to lay it out. Nothing makes sense. You say it's double-sided, but what's on the back of Page 1? Are you trying to make Page 2 11x17 on one side and Page 3 11X17 printed on the other? -- JoAn...

How do I insert a line into a footer? Enter doesn't work.
I'm trying to insert a line into my footer, as when I add an extra line underneath the first bit, it doesn't go into line with the left and right sided footers...eg. Form details v1.0 Effective Date Reference data Unfortunately I cannot make the footer look like this (as above). I've tried inserting a return before v1.0, but for some reason it won't insert a line. Any suggestions? Thankyou in advance for your help. Kind Regards If you try the Custom Foot...

inserted graphic files don't appear in publisher 2003
Inserted graphic files in publisher 2003 don't appear. The picture placement markers are there. I can move the blank insert. I just can't see it. Any suggestions? What happens if you go to View > Pictures > Detailed Display? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "terpgirl" <terpgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7631F23A-61A9-4D07-821E-C0A2D6CE911B@microsoft.com... > Inserted graphic files in publisher 2003 don'...

Lost file content
My files of OE are in C:\D\TRANSPORT\OUTLOOKEXPRESS. I compacted them, and backed them up (to and fro) to another computer. Now the different directories are empty, although they still have the same lenght. Are the data lost ? Or are they still in the files, and if so, is there any way to get them back ? Were Deleted Items & Sent Items folders empty and did Inbox folder contain only a few messages when you compacted all folders? How did you "back them up...to another computer"? Did you import the DBX files into OE on the other computer or...? Which &q...

Insert a page with a different publication design
How can I insert a 2nd page with a different publication design? Everytime I insert a blank page and then try to apply a different design template (different from the 1st page's) the template gets applied to the 1st page and nothing happens to the 2nd page! -- M.T. Open two instances of Publisher, copy/paste the design into page two your primary document. Make note of the color scheme, it will change when you paste. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Math Teacher" <MathTeacher@discussions.microsoft.c...

Macro insert data, need to insert rows
I have a macro that imports data from a CSV text file. Currently, it only inserts about 30 rows and 6 columns. Four of those columns have numbers that get totalled at the end of the import. My totals line is at line 45 (the import starts at row 6). The problem is that if more rows are added, and the data import goes past row 45, it moves my totals line over to column G (column 7) and nothing gets tallied correctly How can I make it so that, when the macro runs, instead of overwriting or moving my totals line it just adds a row above the totals line? I want it so that if the data goes to ...

Matching contents
Col A has 200 cells (i.e., A1.A200) Col B has 1500 cells (i.e., B1.B1500) How can I find the cells in Col A whose contents match the contents in the cells in Col B? Insert a new column A. Then enter this formula in A1 and copy down to A200: =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1,C$1:C$1500,0)),"X","") Matches will be marked with a "X". -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "gary" <gcotterl@co.riverside.ca.us> wrote in message news:1191813336.084192.253910@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Col A has 200 cells (i.e., A1.A200) > Col B has 1500 cells (i.e., B1.B...

OWA clients can not see message contents
AD2003 sp1 w/ Exchange 2003sp1 one front end server and one mailbox server. Front end server is in a DMZ. Recently, my users have reported to me that they are unable to see the contents of messages while logged into OWA. The message header information is there however, there is not a message body. We have also noticed that messages that have attachments get 404 errors when you try to open them from OWA. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. JH Check the security settings on their IE. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" ...

Insert > AutoText > New is Greyed Out
Hi, Does anyone know why? I'd like to set up my signature to add to a mail tread. Thanks, Michele ...

Content Control
We have an application that uses the content controls to merge with application information. We have run into a problem when the value in the control needs to word wrap onto a second line. Depending on the length of the word near the end of the line, it will occasionally lose the first few characters of the first word on the second line. The multiline option is selected on the content control and we have looked at all the paragraph settings and can see nothing out of the ordinary. Anyone else seen anything like this? ...

Enable cell-content suggesting?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi there, <br><br>In one column Excel refers to the past entries and then uses the letters I type into new cells to give me the option of filling the empty cell with text I have previously entered. This great, but Excel is not offering me this in the rest of the columns. How do I turn on this feature for all of the columns? <br><br>Thank you, The feature you're referring to is called AutoComplete. It is a global workbook setting, not a column-by-column or even a sheet-by-sheet op...

Move contents of mailbox
Greetings, Is there a way to move the contents of a user's mailbox to another user? In Exchange 2000 without creating .PST files and copying messages manually? Thanks much. Tomas If the other user is NOT yet mailbox enabled, yes For example: User A who has the mailbox content you want to give to another user. If the mailbox for User A is disconnected in Exchange System Mgr, then you can reconnect it to User B if User B does not have a mailbox. Hope this helps -- Melissa Travers, MCSE Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is fo...

Row Insertion Problem
Hello, I have a worksheet with a hidden column of formulas, each formula making calculations using data on the respective row. It is fine until a user inserts a row, as (unbeknownst to the user) the respective cell of the row will be blank, causing calculation errors. How best to tackle this issue? Many thanks in advance. One thought .. Safest and easiest to protect the sheet, with a password Prevent any damage caused by users inserting/deleting rows/cols -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:23,000 Files:370 Subscribers:66 xdemechanik --- "robot"...

Table of contents with hyperlinks to worksheets, plus "home" hyperlink
I would like to find a way to insert a "Home" hyperlink on all worksheets in a workbook. The hyperlink should link to Sheet1!A1 (my table of contents worksheet). Presently I have to enter the hyperlink one a time on each worksheet. Is there a way I can do this in one go? Some background information: I am trying to automate the process of setting up my workbooks. (I have nearly worked out how to do this). Sheet 1 should be the table of contents TOC. The rest of the sheets: one worksheet per item in the TOC, with a hyperlink to each worksheet from the TOC. This macro creates workshe...

Inserting images
When creating a document, I insert an image, complete the document then save the file. When I open the file later, the image that I inserted now has border lines. Has anyone else had this problem. The only way I can fix it is to delete the image and reinsert it. GT With the picture selected so that the Picture Tools Format tab of the ribbon appears, click on the Compress Pictures item in the Adjust section of the ribbon and click on the Options button and uncheck the "Automatically perform basic compression on save" box. It that does not work, then you may have...

Insert Row with a macro
When I use the following code in an Excel macro to insert a row, it does not work correctly. Instead of inserting just one row above the TOTAL EXPENSES row, rows will continue to be inserted until the worksheet runs out of rows. Could someone please help me. For Each c In [A1:A150] If c Like "TOTAL EXPENSES" Then c.Activate ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert End If Next I have to use the "TOTAL EXPENSES" instead of the row number because this is a report I import from another program and the row number that TOTAL EXPENSES appears in varies from report to report depending ...

Fire content code from master page
Is it possible to have a Menu item that is in a master page fire code that resides in the content page code-behind? For example, I have an aspx page and a aspx.vb page and would like to run code in the aspx.vb page from the master page when clicking on a MenuItem in a menu control. Thanks. -- David On Feb 8, 5:28=A0pm, DavidC <dlch...@lifetimeinc.com> wrote: > Is it possible to have a Menu item that is in a master page fire code tha= t > resides in the content page code-behind? =A0For example, I have an aspx p= age > and a aspx.vb page and would like to run cod...

inserting a column
I wonder if you can help? I have created a spreadsheet on which I have been able to insert columns until now. Now when I go to insert a column I get the message - "To prevent possible loss of data Excel cannot shif nonblank cells off the work sheet. Try to delete or clear the the cells to the right and below your data. Then select cell A1, and save your workbook to reset the last cell used. Or, you can move the data to a new location and try again." However, I have done both of these and I still get the same error message all cells at the end of the sheet are clear so th...

insert a row on ALL sheets
I have a spreadsheet with 12 sheets in it, one for each month of the year. Is there a way to insert a row on all 12 sheets at once or do I have to go into each sheet and insert the row one at a time? In other words, do I have to do it 12 times or is there a way to do it only once and have it affect all 12 sheets? Thanks, BW "bw" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0e7301c3a9f0$6e399ae0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have a spreadsheet with 12 sheets in it, one for each > month of the year. Is there a way to insert a row on all > 12 sheets at onc...

remove chars from cell content
I got part numbers like WGL6068 in a range of coloum. I want to remove GL from the cell and make it W6068. Can anybody help ? Thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Try using =LEFT(A2,1)&RIGHT(A2,4) in the adjacent cell. You can then autofill this down, copy and paste values. Andy. "itty" <itty.w3ra0@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:itty.w3ra0@excelforum-nospam.com... > I got part numbers like WGL6068 in a range...