Independently Resize Control in Access 2007

I've only recently begun using Access 2007 after many years of 2002/2003. One
thing I don't get is how to independently resize a control on a form in 2007.
The "help" offers this explanation: "This article describes how to remove
controls from layouts, after which you can move and resize them without
affecting other controls."

Well, it does indeed show how to REMOVE a control. No problem. But then how
are you supposed to "move and resize" it when it's not on the form anymore. I
mean, it was removed as promised!

This must be simpler than it seems.

Thanks.

I would guess the article is talking about:
- put the form in design view
- select the "Arrange" tab
- you will see three buttons Tabular, Stacked and Remove
When controls get stacked (they act as a group, all size the same etc...)
clicking "remove" will take a single control out of the Stack and it now
acts independently
and you can size/position it (just like previous versions of Access).

Note: when you click remove sometimes the control will jump into the middle
behind the stacked controls
so don't panic.  In the long run you will like Access20007 better.

HTH,
Mark Andrews
RPT Software
http://www.rptsoftware.com

"Steve in S.F." <SteveinSF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've only recently begun using Access 2007 after many years of 2002/2003.
> One
> thing I don't get is how to independently resize a control on a form in
> 2007.
> The "help" offers this explanation: "This article describes how to remove
> controls from layouts, after which you can move and resize them without
> affecting other controls."
>
> Well, it does indeed show how to REMOVE a control. No problem. But then
> how
> are you supposed to "move and resize" it when it's not on the form
> anymore. I
> mean, it was removed as promised!
>
> This must be simpler than it seems.
>
> Thanks.

0
Mark
12/30/2009 1:39:08 AM
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 19:58:01 -0500, Steve in S.F. wrote
(in article <68DC7CA9-3993-4585-B14E-1C869029A269@microsoft.com>):

> I've only recently begun using Access 2007 after many years of 2002/2003. One

> thing I don't get is how to independently resize a control on a form in 2007.

> The "help" offers this explanation: "This article describes how to remove
> controls from layouts, after which you can move and resize them without
> affecting other controls."
>
> Well, it does indeed show how to REMOVE a control. No problem. But then how
> are you supposed to "move and resize" it when it's not on the form anymore. I

> mean, it was removed as promised!
>
> This must be simpler than it seems.
>
> Thanks.

I think it's just a matter of bad wording. Removing a control from the layout
doesn't remove it from the form, just from the grouped layout. Once the
control is removed from the layout, it is in fact free to be moved anywhere
independently of the form itself. It's not removed from the form.

As pointed out by the other responder, sometimes the rest of the controls
that are still in the layout will reposition themselves and obscure the
control that you just freed.

I found the "layout" option to be enormously annoying when I first started
using 2007 because I didn't "get it." Now that I do, it's great, and on those
occasions where I need to remove a control from it, all ends up well.

--
Joe

0
Joe

Impersonation and Custom Event Log
Hi, I have created a Custom Event Log. My ASP.NET application is impersonating a specific Windows Account that currently has no permissions on the web server, apart from Modify access to C:\WINDOWS \Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files. I cannot currently write to the event log. I am using the Logging Application Block. What is the best practice way of writing to the event log when using impersonation? I'd like to do this from within ASP.NET if possible and I want to avoid raising permissions as far as possible. Cheers, James ...

Need help in accessing a sharepoint site that I created with the AllTemplates.exe
SBS2008 with WSS 3.0 I downloaded the AllTemplates.exe from Microsoft and installed the Helpdesk template. I can acess the Helpdesk site from SBS2008 and add things to it but I can't access it from a workstation. Can anyone help me out? Thanks You mean you can only access the site from the Server in local , right? maybe we need more information such as error message. how about doing "ping" or "tracert" result. can you access a normal web site (not sharepoint site) from the workstation ? do you get an authentication window ? "john doe" wr...

Simple wildcard parameter on report control
I have searched the database but cannot find a solution to this problem. I have written a text box control on an access report as follows: =IIf([CaseNo] Like "A-*", DCount("[CaseNo]","QuarterlyCompilationStart","[Determ]='AR Prelim'"),"None") Some of our cases begin with *A-* and others with *C-*. This expression results in all the 'AR Prelim' records are counted regardless of what they begin with. I've also tried: =IIf("[CaseNo] ='A-*'",DCount("[CaseNo]","QuarterlyCompilationStar...

Convert MFC App to MFC ActiveX Control?
Dear there, How to Convert MFC App to MFC ActiveX Control? I had a MFC MDI application which is also a COM server. Now there is a need to turn this into an OCX control so that it can be used in a dialog. Your help will be highly appreciated. Jasen You could try with http://www.microsoft.com/mind/0497/mfc.asp (we used it at work, it works fine for quite some years now). Dear Mr. Pusic, Thank you very much for the information. I will spend time on the paper. Jasen "Goran Pusic" wrote: > You could try with http://www.microsoft.com/mind/0497/mfc.asp (we used it at > wo...

2007 Money Issue
I hope someone can help me here. I previously used Money 2003 on XP. Just received a new PC with Vista. I ordered Money 2007 from the Miscrosoft website. It loads correctly and works fine after install. Once I import my 2003 data or copy the 2003 Money File over the 2007 Money file I begin to have an issue. Money 2007 takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to open the file. I can click bills and calendar but once I click Home it takes another 5 minutes to get there. Any ideas on what could be happening. What is the correct way to upgrade from 2003 to 2007? The file is 7mb? First...

All attachments received are corrupt in Outlook 2007
I just installed Office2007 and all attachments that are coming in(PDF, XLS, ZIP) will not open without warnings of corruptions. Media files will not open at all. I am on XP Home with all updates. I must be missing something somewhere. I cannot even get embedded pictures to show. Any ideas how to fix this problem?? thanks "The Ticket" <The Ticket@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C58FC764-9FA6-4A36-9074-F93CE1718EBF@microsoft.com... >I just installed Office2007 and all attachments that are coming in(PDF, >XLS, > ZIP) will not open without warning...

Publisher 2007 Email Anything with pictures
I'm new at this. I want to send out an email to my chapter each month advising of Lunch, cost, location... yadda. I am able to create a wonderful email. I send it and if you have outlook and Yahoo, it comes out o.k. If you open it in AOL or Thunderbird, Everything comes out as separate .jpg. (Borders, Logo, Some of the text) attached to the email. There is one option that I tried and it came out as one .jpg attachment. I have tried all the options to the best of my knowledge. None of the options come out as reading it when you open it in AOL or Thunderbird. Some tex...

Outlood 2007
Boy, do I need help. I''m a novice with a lot of email experience; but this program is throwing me for a loop: It will not allow me to delete an email message out of my inbox. It will not allow me to save a new contact. I can't even delete a calendar reminder. Can you help me? Coachvan1@cox.net "coachvan1@cox.net" <coachvan1@cox.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9D09235-B706-463F-8E51-E22AEE731921@microsoft.com... > Boy, do I need help. > I''m a novice with a lot of email experience; but this program is thr...

Outlook 2007 Not Working after IE8B2 Install
Outlook 2007 has stopped working since I installed IE8 beta 2 I start OL2007 - the "blank" screen and splash are displayed along with a Windows Installer dialogue box with the text "Preparing to install...". I gave it half an hour it just sits there, I killed OL and rebooted, OL asked if I wanted to start in Safe Mode I responded in the affirmative but the Windows Installer window is still there. Neither Task Manager, Process Explorer nor System Explorer show a Task or Process for an installer. The Windows Installer window is owned by the Outlook 2007 process, its ...

MS Access and SharePoint
Is MS SharePoint a substitute for creating rational databases MS Access. Hello Jody, Absolutely not. I assume "rational" means "relational". In fact, there is not much "relational" about SharePoint anyway, please refer to http://www.lcbridge.nl/vision/2008/transactions.htm for more info about that. However, Access 2007 allows you, under restrictions, to publish databases to SharePoint 2007, and SharePoint 2010 includes Access Services, which allows you to create web applications in Access 2010 and publish them to a SharePoint 2010 site. Kind reg...

2003 code raises error in 2007
I have a reference in VBA to a subform of a subform, which works fine in Access 2003. In Access 2007, however, it results in "you have entered an invalid reference to the property Form/Report." This is the snippet of code: Private Sub SetFormProperties() 'called from form_open, makes all forms editable if edit mode was selected Dim ctrl As Control, ctrlSub As Control Dim frm As Form If Me.OpenArgs = "Edit" Then Set frm = Me 'set main form edit options EditProperties frm 'set subform edit options For Each ctrl In frm If ct...

How can I access my documents on OW free trial ?
When i receive a doc. I cannot alter it because it tells me the doc. is locked. How can I get roung this? If it's locked, you either haven't activated your copy of Office, or your trial period ended in which case you will have to pay for it. Yves "Ben" <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F75A123-D010-4B85-AA39-838E567413E6@microsoft.com... > When i receive a doc. I cannot alter it because it tells me the doc. is > locked. How can I get roung this? ...

Need help with Access report
I designed an access report with a facility and a buch of contacts for that. I created a group on the facility ID. I want only a certain type of contact to show up in the facility group header and rest of the contact types in the details sectio. Before some takes a wag at answering this, could you provide a little better description? Individual contacts normally would display in the detail section, not "in the facility group header". Maybe you should type in some significant records/fields and how and why they should display in your report. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access M...

e-mail through access
i have been searching the internet for two hrs now and i am really confused with what i have to do. i have a table with all my clients' email addresses. my goal is to send separate email with pdf attachment to each customer separately (not like bcc). i assume i have to create a form with message subject, message body, etc. then i need a "sendemailtoall" command button. could someone help me? i am using office 2003. See whether Arvin Meyer's EmailSenate2K sample at http://www.datastrat.com/DataStrat2.html is what you need. If not, check the Microsoft Ac...

Office 2007 Recovery
Is it possible to recover office 2007 that was installed on an extended partion? Neighbor has windows vista 32 bit on a 320Gb hard Drive partioned as primary and 2 extended partitions. Vista crashed and she reinstalled it but office 2007 and all apps were installed on the extended partion and is there from backup but I cannot get it to start any ideas how to get this working? You need to have the original disks/CDs. There is no other way to get Office back. What people don't know is that it is the registry entries that make office run. Without registry entries, you are...

can't open VB editor in Excel 2007 under Vista
I have a spreadsheet with VB code in it. On my XP PC I can edit it without any problem. On my Vista PC, I can run the code, but if I try to edit it I get "error in loading dll". The VB window opens up, but the modules won't. Also, it used to work - I don't know why it stopped. Can anyone help? Thanks! On Nov 11, 3:42=A0am, "Sandy Rosenberg" <srosenb...@bloomfieldct.deleteme.org> wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with VB code in it. =A0On my XP PC I can edit it wit= hout > any problem. =A0On my Vista PC, I can run the code, but if I try to edit = it...

Access email remotely
Is it possible to access your Windows Live Email from a remote location and, if so, please let me know how? Thanks! Hi, Hilton Head. "Hilton Head" wrote in message news:9A0260D0-BEDA-4424-9A0C-C884F03C266E@microsoft.com... Is it possible to access your Windows Live Email from a remote location and, if so, please let me know how? Thanks! It's not at all clear what you are trying to do. :>( If you just want to pick up your email from any online computer in the world, use mail2web.com . If you want to run Windows Live Mail on another computer, ju...

Using Access to create an appointment and add attendees
Hi i am using Access to create an appointment in outlook. I have the code for creating the appointment but i am struggling to add attendees. This is what i have so far; DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord Dim objOutlook As Outlook.Application Dim objAppt As Outlook.AppointmentItem Dim objRecurPattern As Outlook.RecurrencePattern Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") Set objAppt = objOutlook.CreateItem(olAppointmentItem) With objAppt .Start = Est_Finish_Date .Subject = Component ...

InkPicture Control
Can anyone provide example code of using the InkPicture control Access on a tabletpc? ...

How to get item object while getting right click event in the list control ??
Hi, I am using list control in MFC.. I have added following handler for right click notification through class wizard.. void CMyDlg::OnRclickList1(NMHDR* pNMHDR, LRESULT* pResult) { // TODO: Add your control notification handler code here *pResult = 0; } Now, i want to get the currently right clicked item object.. so, how to get that ?? I saw in MSDN, NMHDR doesnt have any data about that.. Thx.. ===== Regards, Jigar Meht The Item that was right clicked will become the selected item. But if you are not happy with that then you can do this CPoint Point; GetCursorPos(&Point...

Error 0x80040604: A folder by this name already exists
Hi All, About 3 weeks ago, I started getting this error message (Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers. 'reported error (0x80040604) : 'A folder by this name already exists.') in Outlook 2007 when trying to sync up a couple of hotmail accounts I have. Figuring it may have just been a random error message, I restarted both Outlook and my machine, but to no avail, the error did not go away. Anyone seen this message before and know how to resolve it? Thanks, Drew forgot to add that I do have SP1 installed for Office 2007. "Drew W" <Blah@Blah.com> wrote in messa...

Processing Date in Money 2007 Broken?
I recently upgraded to 2007, and noticed that all of my on-line bill payments are showing the date as the "Processing Date". I verified in the global settings for "Online service settings" that the option "Enter electronic payments in the register with the processing date" is unchecked. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior? Sounds like a bug. same thing here. is there a fix? "Greg" wrote: > I recently upgraded to 2007, and noticed that all of my on-line bill payments > are showing the date as the "Processing Date". I veri...

MS Access 2007 User permissions
How can I restrict some users accessing specific forms/tables? Since 2007 removed user level security; how can 2007 handle this? It cannot be done for tables. For forms you can roll your own security by integrating with Windows login username. But since the users can get to the table that would store this information, it isn't 100% foolproof. The alternative is to code each form with specific permissions for each user. To get the Windows login credentials, see: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0008.htm -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.acces...

Excel 2007, Ribbon: 2 added Groups<?>
Hi, I saw the following: * Chart Tools > Layout > 2 added groups (not on mine, but on another PC): 1. Fills Group > Patterns & 2. PTS Tools Group > T Error Bars My Question: How did they get there and how do I added them to mine? (I was of the understanding that 2007 Ribbon could not be modified (maybe add an Add-In tab at best). THANKS! Gene:) Hi, They are addins. The Fills > Patterns is my addin. It restores a UI to pattern files in charts/shapes. http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm The Error Bars is Jon Peltier's http://pelti...

Error when accessing System Settings
When System Setting is selected under Organization Settings we receive the errror: "The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship with remote server" I am not seeing this error in other areas of the system. ...