How to use cascading combos to *select* locations

Hi,

I'm a bit lost, and finding the Access learning curve *very* steep...

Anyway, I have read about using filtered queries to limit available
selections in eg. combo box 2 based on the entry selected from combo
box 1.  However, I think I need something a little different.

I am trying to develop a database to catalogue "talks" given at
various locations (locations are three lookup tables: Country, Region,
and Building).  And the main reason I do not wish to use filtered
queries is that I wish the locations to be unique (eg. two different
regions might have a building with the same name, but these locations
are unique).

So far, I have the following table for the talks

tblTalks
TalksID (PK Autonumber)
Talks

And I have the following structure for drilling down to a unique
location:

tblLocations
LocationID (PK Autonumber)
CountryID (FK)
RegionID (FK)
BuildingID (FK)

tluCountries
CountryID (PK autonumber)
Country

tluRegions
RegionID (PK autonumber)
Region
CountryID (FK)

tluBuildings
BuildingID (PK autonumber)
BuildingName
RegionID (FK)

But I would not have a clue how to relate the talks to the locations.
My only stab was to relate tbltalks to tblLocations through another
table containing
TalksID (FK)
LocationID (FK)
in order to create a many-to-many relationship--for on talk can be
given at many locations, and one location can receive many talks)

At the moment I don't know the next step.
Can someone please enlighten my befuddled mind.
Thx

0
Medoomi

It maybe that buildings in different locations can have the same name but do
you want to establish a many-to-many relationship? Disregarding the name of
the building, the physical object itself can only be in one place
(obviously!) so I am wondering whether that is a good idea.

From what I can tell from the PKs and FKs you are creating relationships
between tables directly as well indirectly through the "locations" table.

tblecountry
countryID (PK)
Country

tbleregion
RegionID (PK)
Region
CountryID (FK)

tblelocations
LocationID (PK)
RegionID (FK)

tblebuilding
BuildingID (PK)
BuildingName
LocationID (FK)

tblejunction
BuildingID (FK)
TalkID (FK)

tbletalk
TalkID (PK)
TalkName

When you come to create your form put "tbletalk" in the main form and
"tblejunction" in the subform. Use "tblebuilding" as the source for the
"buildingID" field in "tble junction".

Hope that helps.

--
"Loose Change 2nd Edition" has been seen by almost 7 million people on
Google video

"Medoomi" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit lost, and finding the Access learning curve *very* steep...
>
> Anyway, I have read about using filtered queries to limit available
> selections in eg. combo box 2 based on the entry selected from combo
> box 1.  However, I think I need something a little different.
>
> I am trying to develop a database to catalogue "talks" given at
> various locations (locations are three lookup tables: Country, Region,
> and Building).  And the main reason I do not wish to use filtered
> queries is that I wish the locations to be unique (eg. two different
> regions might have a building with the same name, but these locations
> are unique).
>
> So far, I have the following table for the talks
>
> tblTalks
> TalksID (PK Autonumber)
> Talks
>
> And I have the following structure for drilling down to a unique
> location:
>
> tblLocations
> LocationID (PK Autonumber)
> CountryID (FK)
> RegionID (FK)
> BuildingID (FK)
>
> tluCountries
> CountryID (PK autonumber)
> Country
>
> tluRegions
> RegionID (PK autonumber)
> Region
> CountryID (FK)
>
> tluBuildings
> BuildingID (PK autonumber)
> BuildingName
> RegionID (FK)
>
> But I would not have a clue how to relate the talks to the locations.
> My only stab was to relate tbltalks to tblLocations through another
> table containing
> TalksID (FK)
> LocationID (FK)
> in order to create a many-to-many relationship--for on talk can be
> given at many locations, and one location can receive many talks)
>
> At the moment I don't know the next step.
> Can someone please enlighten my befuddled mind.
> Thx

Using SumProduct in VB
I was hoping someone can help me. I am writing a script that parses though an excel file and extract the unique entries and sums the quantities with respect to certain criteria (ie Month or Year). I currently have an excel formula that does what I am looking for, but I need to convert it to a VB script. The formula looks like: =SUMPRODUCT(($C$2:$C$30="boxes")*($E$2:$E$30="January")*($D$2:$D$30)) Where C2:C30 contains the item, E2:E30 is the month, and D2:D30 contains the quantity of the items. So this example counts the number of boxes from January in this data r...

Need to use countif but I have 2 condition
Dear All I need to do countif but I have 2 condition to count for exp. i have one column A the date for and i have on colume B the value i need to look for on specific cell i need to count number of value on Colume B with the specific date that on column A. again A is the date B is the value on the cell i need to count how may cell has the value (24) on particular month. Any one can help Thanks Hi, Try: =SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(A1:A10)=2004),--(MONTH(A1:A10)=1)*(B1:B10=24)) will tell you how many cells have the value of 24 in the month of January in 2004 "compare list A and list AB&q...

File locations #3
This is so frustrating! I have a list of where Outlook files are supposed to be but a couple of them are not there! The list says that Rules can be found under c:\Documents and Settings \<usr>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. Nope, not on my computer and I have a lot of Rules set up so I know there should be a file (when I do a file search for *.rwz, there are no results!) Also, I can't find my custom dictionary with the auto-corrects that I've entered. Help? It's not in the custom.dic file under c: \Documents and Settings\<usr>\Application Data\Microsoft\P...

Naming Information cannot be located
H guys, when I try to open Exchange System Manager from my Exchange, its gives me a "server not operational message". Also opening dsa.msc gives the following error: "Naming information cannot be located for the following reason: server not operational" I have checked my DNS settings and the primary dns server is using itself as dns.I need a way out of this situation fast. Will re-running forestprep and domainprep on the Exchange server work? Your response is appreciated. We run Exchange Server 2003 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 SP1 -- Buchi Although this is techni...

physical location of incoming mail folder
Hi there Please could you help! I'm looking for the (default) folder where incoming mail is queued before being sent to internal recipients. Best regards Loane SMTP mail ends up in \Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue (the number 1 is your SMTP virtual server instance) -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Loane Sharp" <look_sharp_not@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OwAMtiH9FHA.2576@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi there > Please could you help! I'm looking for the (default) folder whe...

Use a Carriage Returns when typing data into a text cell
What is the code for entering a carriage return in a text cell.? I tried & char(10) &, but it didn't work. What I want is to type Far[the_char_return_code]Farley resultng in Far Farley ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! Free Support at http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/ ** Hi char(109 is correct. You have to format the cell with word wrap in addition ('Format - Cells - Alignment') -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Far Farley" <FarFarley@TheProfessionalNetwork.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag new...

Using Visio-generated html files with VML on Linux
Hello, I cannot get IE(5.5, 6 SP1) to consistently view html files, generated using Visio with VML, on a Linux based web server. I have ensured that there are no spaces in the filenames and that all the extensions are lower case, but I still have the problem. I can get the main diagram up fine, but the hyperlinks, once pressed, cause the screen to go blank and IE seems to hang. I see it trying to find the file that the hyperlink referenced, but it doesn't come up. The web pages work fine on a Windows based web server. Has anyone else run into this? Thanks, Harvey. ...

exception when using app.config
Hi! Here I have an example of a program that is using the app.config file that is listed at the bottom. The problem is that when I run this program I get an execption which is in swedish but it say something like "It occured an error when the sectionhandling for MyFirstSectiongroup/MyFirstSection should be created. It not possible to read the file or the composition ConnectionStringDemo or one of its dependences." Does anyone have any suggestion where to change ? static void Main(string[] args) { try { Object o = ConfigurationManager.GetSectio...

center across the selection
where do i need to go for the "center across the selection" Format/Cells/Alignment... Choose Center Across Selection from the Horizontal dropdown. In article <E83BAF9C-06CA-4A9A-A434-66ED9AD96680@microsoft.com>, "Suraj Aryal" <Suraj Aryal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > where do i need to go for the "center across the selection" ...

integrating sop returns using integration manager
how can i integrate returns in sales transaction entry window with items having serial numbers? The error 'You must provide all serial numbers' appears during integration. Because of this all documents with return type for items with serial numbers failed. Thanks, Mel Have you tried embedding the serial numbers to return within your source file? When processing a SOP return with serial tracked items you must specify the serial number to be returned. "mel" wrote: > how can i integrate returns in sales transaction entry window with items > having serial number...

how do I share an excel file using the internet?
We are a small horse training/breeding operation with 2 locations, one in Texas and one in Tennessee. We send horses back and forth and would like to get away from trying to keep up with the horses' health records using paper. Can we put a spreadsheet out on the internet for both locations to enter their information and have current information all of the time? ...

Re: Select word after **
If cell B17 contains your sentence put the following formula into any other cell =RIGHT(B17,LEN(B17)-FIND("**",B17)-2) The RIGHT function extracts the right-most characters from a string of text (your sentence in a cell) for a set number of characters. The LEN functions calculates how long the text string is The FIND function finds the specified characters (**) in a string of text (your sentence in a cell) and returns the starting character. Combine all of these functions, as above, then take a further two (that represents the length of the two asterisks) off the length to extr...

Problem in using SQL 2005 on 64 bit machine.
Microsoft has released demo data for crm 4.0 https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D5F77EE7-3D01-4944-B5DC-C8CDC8123DF4&displaylang=en However, to import it, it requires the data migration manager: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6766880a-da8f-4336-a278-9a5367eb79ca&DisplayLang=en At the moment, we do not have the Data Migration Manager installed on any system. Client had an issue when the database is on Sql 2005 64bit machine. Is there a way to resolve this issue or a work around? I would install the Data Migration Manager (DMM) using t...

Import to General Journal using Integration Manager
I am working with Integration Manager to create an integration to General Journal in GP 9.0. The journal to import is 200+ lines of data. The way I currently have it set up, it creates a journal entry for each line of data (200 entries). What I want it for it to create one journal entry with 200 lines. Can anyone help with what I am doing wrong? if you have one file, you need 2 sources. They can point to the same file just fine. You will need a sorting column (like trx date) for example, which then you group on. Then you can properly distribute as you go. There is an example in IM f...

Create multiple reports using macros
There is a report that I would like to run monthly for about 90 individuals and I want each individual to get their own report. Clearly, I don't want to run the report 90 times. I assume that I need a macro to do this, but have no experience writing macros. Currently, I have set up a make table query to identify the users that will need the report (since that list is subject to change) and the report is set up with the user as a parameter, now I just need to connect the two! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin Do you actually need 90 separate reports or can you ...

Inserting Hyperlinks into a Table using an Append Query
hi gurus! I have an Append query which is inerting records into a table with a Hyperlink Data column. The query formats the path eg "PDF/fielname.pdf" and appends it to the field. However when I open the table and try to click on the hyperlink field the link doesnt work. I rightclick and select edit hyperlink and notice that the text to display is set but not the hyperlink. Can anyone help me out here? cheers Jeff The hyperlink consists of the display text, address, and a possible subaddress, separated by #. To assign the value to the field, your append query needs to i...

How can I created numbered ballots using Publisher and excel?
I'm trying to create ballots for an upcoming teachers union election. I want to print the ballots so that each have a different number. I have already created a ballot on Publisher. Is there someway to merge numbers from Excel? My ballots are postcard size and two up. I just posted the solution below in response to another users similar question. Create the number list in Excel and use mail merge to import the list of numbers. Then use the following to print the ballots. Set the document so that the page size is equal to a single ticket. Then under the print menu change the page opti...

Copying File using WebDAV
Hi Can anybody plz tell me how to copy files using WebDAV. I want to copy files go.asp from my localpath http://servername/webdav/go.asp to http://servername/exchange/administrator/foldername/go.asp It gives me error saying " The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden". and here is my code Dim Request As System.Net.HttpWebRequest Dim httpResponse As System.Net.HttpWebResponse Dim MyCredentialCache As System.Net.CredentialCache Request = CType(System.Net.WebRequest.Create(strSrcURI), _ System.Net.HttpWebRequest) ' Add the network credentials to the request. '...

Location of Outlook name cache?
Using Outlook 2002 on Windows 2000 SP4 desktop and Exchange 2000 Server; trying to find the location of the Outlook name cache on the local harddrive. Auto-complete brings up names and addresses that are not listed in any address books or contacts; I would like to be able to access these addresses and add them to my contacts (I know how to add a result to contacts after auto-complete brings it up, but I would like to access the name cache directly). Any help appreciated! Thanks, Gary Swearengin You can find it by searching for *.NK2 But you can't access it. -- Russ Valentine ...

when selecting recipients "To" field shows fax #'s.....
Whenever I start a new e-mail and select "To" all my contacts' e-mail address are there along with all of their fax numbers. Does anyone know how to filter out the fax numbers and ONLY show the e-mail addresses? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! This is the default behavior for Outlook 2002. See the following page for more information and a possible workaround: http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/nofax.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserv...

How to find the most recent product (using group,last and first)
I am working with a production system, but now I have a need to filter out only the newest version of a product (to export it to the sale/ logistic-system). I have tried using Grouping, Last or First in a query, but find that sorting has no effect. The only thing that seems to me to control what is first and last is the time of the recording of the record. I have tried sorting a query and using this as source for grouping - with no effect. Sincerely Hans Kristian Eide Do you have a date field that identifies which record is the last version of the product? Or do you propose to identifiy ...

Changing the space between characters using DrawString()
Hi there, How can I change the space between characters to the text we render using GDI Plus DrawString() ?? I’m trying with the win32 API SetTextCharacterExtra() and I get the following Exception when I try to use the Graphics object “Object is currently in use elsewhere.” Here’s the declaration of the method: [DllImport("Gdi32.dll")] public static extern int SetTextCharacterExtra(int hdc, int nCharExtra); Here's the way I use it int a = SetTextCharacterExtra(formGraphics.GetHdc().ToInt32(), 8); If there's a way to avoid SetTextCharacterExtra() w...

cell format changing when when using search and replace.
I have a macro that places a large number of pictures on a spreadsheet. I would like the pictures to show as "placeholders" to speed up viewing/editing. The only problem is that this feature (under Tools/Options/View) does not work. All the images are being display normally. I have tried this in Excel 2000/2003/XP with the same result. This feature works great in MS Word. Please help. To see what I'm talking about. Go to Tools/Options/View and check the "Show Placeholders" option. Now insert a picture or clipart. The image will be displayed normally instead of just a b...

SQL Server Profiler Determine Number Times User Account Used
I have numerous SQL Server 2005 Profiler traces that run when certain user account are used in the database server in the last month. Please help me with a program to determine the number of times and duration the user account has been used in a database server? Please help me resolve this issue. Joe You can query SUM(duration) column in the trace file...I mean he/she was running the queries Also take a look at DDL Trigger for log on event http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/sql-server-2005/logon-triggers/ "Joe K." <JoeK@discussions.microsoft.co...

Using Avast vs. Norton, AVG, etc.
Grrrrrrr ... WinMail will no longer open. Message pop-up says junk filtering issue, disk full (NOT!), and 2nd pop-up says MSOE can't initialize. 2 things: a) Some of the Forum Leaders have written they recommend Avast for Anti-Virus. Never heard of it. Went to its web site and see where it is free. Hmmm. Avast *preferred* over AVG ???? I haven't liked or used a Norton product in years. b) Still experiencing WinMail opening problem. Super annoying. Reading all the posts, but over my head. Am new to PC; from AppleWorld where I will say I just didn't hav...