How to display the TOTAL of a sub form on the parent Form?

on my sub form (subDetails) I have a totals column.
I then Total the totals column in the footer of the subform in a field named
(txtOrderTotal)

I want to display that total on the Parent form (frmOrders)
(I do not want to just show the footer of the sub form due to placment
issues)

So on my parrent form I have a text box with this code in the control source

=Forms!subDetails.txtOrderTotal

BUT all I get is "#NAME?!"

I have doubled checked my spelling.

Am I going about this wrong?

Any help here will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Dave

0
Dave

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:38:35 -0700, Dave wrote:

> on my sub form (subDetails) I have a totals column.
> I then Total the totals column in the footer of the subform in a field named
> (txtOrderTotal)
>
> I want to display that total on the Parent form (frmOrders)
> (I do not want to just show the footer of the sub form due to placment
> issues)
>
> So on my parrent form I have a text box with this code in the control source
>
> =Forms!subDetails.txtOrderTotal
>
> BUT all I get is "#NAME?!"
>
> I have doubled checked my spelling.
>
> Am I going about this wrong?
>
> Any help here will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Dave

It's the name of the subform control you need reference, not the name
of the form used as the sub form.

Access gives these controls a default name of "Child1", "Child2", etc.
You can rename them as you wish.

Set the control's Control Source to:
=[Name of the Subform control on the main form].[Form]![txtOrderTotal]

--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.

When you reference a control on a subform from the main form, you do it
through the subform control on the main form:
 =Me!NameOfSubformControl.Form!TxtOrderDetail

PC Datasheet
Providing Customers A Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word
Applications
resource@pcdatasheet.com

"Dave" <dave@accessdatapros> wrote in message
> on my sub form (subDetails) I have a totals column.
> I then Total the totals column in the footer of the subform in a field
> named (txtOrderTotal)
>
> I want to display that total on the Parent form (frmOrders)
> (I do not want to just show the footer of the sub form due to placment
> issues)
>
> So on my parrent form I have a text box with this code in the control
> source
>
> =Forms!subDetails.txtOrderTotal
>
> BUT all I get is "#NAME?!"
>
> I have doubled checked my spelling.
>
> Am I going about this wrong?
>
> Any help here will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Dave

0
Steve
8/24/2007 6:17:04 PM
"Steve" <sorry@private.emailaddress> schreef in bericht =
> Hi Dave!
>=20
> When you reference a control on a subform from the main form, you do =
it=20
> through the subform control on the main form:
> =3DMe!NameOfSubformControl.Form!TxtOrderDetail
>=20
> PC Datasheet

Hi Steve !!

This is to inform 'newbees' here about PCD' Steve:
http://home.tiscali.nl/arracom/whoissteve.html=20
Until now 3650+ pageloads, 2350+ first-time visitors (these figures are =
rapidly increasing)

Why is this ???
Because Steve is the ONLY person here who continues to advertise in the =
groups.

It is not relevant whether he advertised in *this* particular post or =
not...
=3D=3D> We want him to know that these groups are *not* his private =
hunting grounds!

For those who don't like too see all these messages:
=3D=3D> Simply killfile 'StopThisAdvertising'.=20
Newbees will still see this warning-message.

ArnoR
0
StopThisAdvertising
8/24/2007 6:52:32 PM
Fred,

    Thanks for the reply.
However I am still confused. I guess I do not know what you mean by the
sub-form "control"

Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Dave

"fredg" <fgutkind@example.invalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:38:35 -0700, Dave wrote:
>
>> on my sub form (subDetails) I have a totals column.
>> I then Total the totals column in the footer of the subform in a field
>> named
>> (txtOrderTotal)
>>
>> I want to display that total on the Parent form (frmOrders)
>> (I do not want to just show the footer of the sub form due to placment
>> issues)
>>
>> So on my parrent form I have a text box with this code in the control
>> source
>>
>> =Forms!subDetails.txtOrderTotal
>>
>> BUT all I get is "#NAME?!"
>>
>> I have doubled checked my spelling.
>>
>> Am I going about this wrong?
>>
>> Any help here will be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Dave
>
> It's the name of the subform control you need reference, not the name
> of the form used as the sub form.
>
> Access gives these controls a default name of "Child1", "Child2", etc.
> You can rename them as you wish.
>
> Set the control's Control Source to:
> =[Name of the Subform control on the main form].[Form]![txtOrderTotal]
>
> --
> Fred
> Please respond only to this newsgroup.
> I do not reply to personal e-mail

0
Dave
8/24/2007 9:23:00 PM
Dave,

Open FrmOrders in design view. You will see a white box where the subform is
at. That is the subform control. Select it then open properties and go to
the Other tab. You will see the name of the subform control on the first
line - the Name property.

"Dave" <dave@accessdatapros.com> wrote in message
> Fred,
>
>    Thanks for the reply.
> However I am still confused. I guess I do not know what you mean by the
> sub-form "control"
>
> Can you elaborate?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave
>
> "fredg" <fgutkind@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:38:35 -0700, Dave wrote:
>>
>>> on my sub form (subDetails) I have a totals column.
>>> I then Total the totals column in the footer of the subform in a field
>>> named
>>> (txtOrderTotal)
>>>
>>> I want to display that total on the Parent form (frmOrders)
>>> (I do not want to just show the footer of the sub form due to placment
>>> issues)
>>>
>>> So on my parrent form I have a text box with this code in the control
>>> source
>>>
>>> =Forms!subDetails.txtOrderTotal
>>>
>>> BUT all I get is "#NAME?!"
>>>
>>> I have doubled checked my spelling.
>>>
>>> Am I going about this wrong?
>>>
>>> Any help here will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Dave
>>
>> It's the name of the subform control you need reference, not the name
>> of the form used as the sub form.
>>
>> Access gives these controls a default name of "Child1", "Child2", etc.
>> You can rename them as you wish.
>>
>> Set the control's Control Source to:
>> =[Name of the Subform control on the main form].[Form]![txtOrderTotal]
>>
>> --
>> Fred
>> Please respond only to this newsgroup.
>> I do not reply to personal e-mail

0
Steve
8/24/2007 10:19:13 PM
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:23:00 -0700, Dave wrote:

> Fred,
>
>     Thanks for the reply.
> However I am still confused. I guess I do not know what you mean by the
> sub-form "control"
>
> Can you elaborate?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave
>
> "fredg" <fgutkind@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:38:35 -0700, Dave wrote:
>>
>>> on my sub form (subDetails) I have a totals column.
>>> I then Total the totals column in the footer of the subform in a field
>>> named
>>> (txtOrderTotal)
>>>
>>> I want to display that total on the Parent form (frmOrders)
>>> (I do not want to just show the footer of the sub form due to placment
>>> issues)
>>>
>>> So on my parrent form I have a text box with this code in the control
>>> source
>>>
>>> =Forms!subDetails.txtOrderTotal
>>>
>>> BUT all I get is "#NAME?!"
>>>
>>> I have doubled checked my spelling.
>>>
>>> Am I going about this wrong?
>>>
>>> Any help here will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Dave
>>
>> It's the name of the subform control you need reference, not the name
>> of the form used as the sub form.
>>
>> Access gives these controls a default name of "Child1", "Child2", etc.
>> You can rename them as you wish.
>>
>> Set the control's Control Source to:
>> =[Name of the Subform control on the main form].[Form]![txtOrderTotal]
>>
>> --
>> Fred
>> Please respond only to this newsgroup.
>> I do not reply to personal e-mail

When you create a form and add a subform to it, you first add a
subform control. That is the control whose name you need to refer to.
Open your form in Design View. Display the form's property sheet.
Click on the edge of the space where the subform is. Read the object
name in the property sheet caption.
If it says "Subform/Subreport XXXXXX" then the XXXXXX is the name you
need. If it doesn't say "Subform/Subreport XXXXXX" then keep clicking
around the edge until you find it.
When you find it you can verify that it is the subform control by
looking at the properties available on the Data tab. You should see
Source Object,  Link Child Field, and Link Master Field as the first 3
properties shown on that tab.

--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
I do not reply to personal e-mail
0
fredg
8/24/2007 10:20:56 PM
lol - I checked all my spelling cuse I am a bad speller
BUT
I used Forms!
instead of Form!

Problem solved.

Thanks much,

dave

"Dave" <dave@accessdatapros> wrote in message
> on my sub form (subDetails) I have a totals column.
> I then Total the totals column in the footer of the subform in a field
> named (txtOrderTotal)
>
> I want to display that total on the Parent form (frmOrders)
> (I do not want to just show the footer of the sub form due to placment
> issues)
>
> So on my parrent form I have a text box with this code in the control
> source
>
> =Forms!subDetails.txtOrderTotal
>
> BUT all I get is "#NAME?!"
>
> I have doubled checked my spelling.
>
> Am I going about this wrong?
>
> Any help here will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Dave

0
Dave
8/24/2007 10:48:16 PM
Dave,

For future reference ---

You actually only lucked out changing Forms to Form. Check again my response
and fredg's response. You don't reference the subform you reference the
subform control on the main form. What caused you to luck out is that Access
names a subform control with the same name as the subform by default.
Therefore, when you changed Forms to Form, your expression was actually
referencing the subform control and not the subform. If you go into your
form and change the name of your subform, you will find that your expression
will no longer work.

> lol - I checked all my spelling cuse I am a bad speller
> BUT
> I used Forms!
> instead of Form!
>
> Problem solved.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> dave
>
> "Dave" <dave@accessdatapros> wrote in message
>> on my sub form (subDetails) I have a totals column.
>> I then Total the totals column in the footer of the subform in a field
>> named (txtOrderTotal)
>>
>> I want to display that total on the Parent form (frmOrders)
>> (I do not want to just show the footer of the sub form due to placment
>> issues)
>>
>> So on my parrent form I have a text box with this code in the control
>> source
>>
>> =Forms!subDetails.txtOrderTotal
>>
>> BUT all I get is "#NAME?!"
>>
>> I have doubled checked my spelling.
>>
>> Am I going about this wrong?
>>
>> Any help here will be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Dave

0
Steve
8/25/2007 2:30:01 PM
> Dave,
>=20
> For future reference ---
>=20

We want you to go away Steve !!
You still don't see ???
We want you to go away, get lost !!

We don't want your 'help' and add's here, you are only a nuisance here.

Interested in some stats??
http://home.tiscali.nl/arracom/SteveStats.html=20

Arno R
0
StopThisAdvertising

GotoRecord in mainform after closing Add form
Hi, I have a form to add a new DVD to my database. Now when I press the 'ADD DVD' button I want to close the 'add dvd form' form and on the main form I want to change the current record to the one just added. The main form is open all the time. Anyone know how to jump to this added record? I tried serveral ways on the GotoRecord method of VBA but nothing worked so far. From what you are describing, the main form is tied to the list of DVDs. Why have two other forms at all? If you have nav buttons or record selectors on the main form, then just add a new record there. I...

Forms in two differant views

OWA Display Settings
Is there a method to clear the Web Access Display Settings (i.e. Color Schemes, Preview Pane setup) from the server side of the application for either a single user or all OWA users? Also, I've had several users report that if they've attempted to access their OWA mailbox in FireFox, they lose the way messages are normally displayed in the OWA client where each message basically has two lines, one line for who it came from and when and the next line for the subject. After logging to OWA with Firefox, all of the information is displayed on a single line. This is on a Windows...

How do I display nonprintable characters
We are running Excel 2000 under Windows XP on 2 different PC's. In a spreadsheet we have imported data from a text file. The data has included some nonprintable characters which show up as squares on my PC but as spaces on my colleagues. We can use the CLEAN function to strip out the squares, but how do we get them displayed as squares on the second PC, so that we know that they are there? Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that will help determine what that character(s) is: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm But the only squares that sometimes disappear for me correspond to c...

Date and time onto a form
Hi, I am designing a form that my client would like the date and time automatically recorded in a field and stored so that when they refer back it shows when the record was done. The 'NOW' function only shows the current date & time and keeps updating. Is there a way of putting the 'NOW' value into a field, then locking it so it doesn't change when the record is reopened. Hope that makes sense! Kazlou The form stores data in a table. You need to add a date/time field to your table to record the date and time a record was last updated. 1. Open the table in desig...

Printing Issues when distributing a form to multiple users
I am distributing a spreadsheet to multiple users. The spreadsheet is being used as a form for data entry. The problem i am having is that when it is being printed, the users are getting varying page layouts where the page breaks have changed, due the changes to the length of the document growing from the free text they are entering. The page breaks that excel chooses don't seem to be spaced well, leading to one or two of the pages being very short (i.e., leaving a lot of free white space), whereas the other pages are taking up the entire page. Is there a particular page layout selection...

Conditional Formating: linking to display another cell
Hello, I am trying to make a traffic light with symbols and I've read to 'use a separate cell for the dropdown choices, with their resulting value linked into the formatted cell through an IF function, using the character that you want to display.' So: =IF someone enters '1' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$4 (will it display font and attributes?) =IF someone enters '2' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$5 =IF someone enters '3' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$6 But I've been reading everywhere and CF is very new to me and I need ...

not enough memory or disk space to display or print the picture after 1st time

Button form control does not work
I have spent over 5 hours trying to get the button wizard to do a simple thing. Open a form and show data in that form that matches the name in the form where the button is but when i follow the wizard the button allways go to the first entary in the second form eg i have the form (form1) open on emma (record 3) and want to open a second form that also contains emma the wizard puts the following in to a macro form2, Form, , "[Full Name]=" & [Full Name], , Normal but when i test the button it open the second form with the first record which is not emma why d...

OWA renders Page cannot be displayed
Hi, We are have Exchange 2003 installed on a Windows 2003 Server. We are allowing access to OWA from outside the network through SSL. We are having a problem with a few emails giving a page cannot be displayed error when trying to view them. These same emails can be viewed with no problems from inside the network(not using SSL). We have URLScan installed, but I can't see anything in the .ini file that would cause these emails to not display correctly. Any suggestions? ...

How can I change primary display for presentation on multiple mon.
I want to hit F5 and have my presentation go to a different monitor. I have multiple monitors so my laptop display on a classroom screen. Can I change the default monitor that F5 points to? In article <5A95BBFC-B291-4A05-9E71-3F094B937ABB@microsoft.com>, Shorebilly wrote: > I want to hit F5 and have my presentation go to a different monitor. I have > multiple monitors so my laptop display on a classroom screen. Can I change > the default monitor that F5 points to? In the Slide Show | Set up show dialog, you can choose the monitor you want to display slide s...

How a Tooltip can be displayed?
Goodmorning, How can a tooltip can be displayed when we hover the mouse over specific cells? Thanks in advance for your time I'm not sure about a "tooltip" specifically, but you can click Insert/Comment from Excel's menu bar and put whatever text you want to display in the Comment Box that appears and it will be displayed any time the mouse is over that cell. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "amateur" <amateur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:520FCF85-B62A-40E6-A8E6-5D0C14630C59@microsoft.com... > Goodmorning, > > How can a tooltip c...

access forms 12-05-07
how can the minimum value from eight numeric fields be found & displayed displayed on the form, following manual entry? Your only way is through a series of If statements to determine the minimum. Remember, too, that you may need to handle missing data. You can use the Nz function in that case, but you need to be able to assign a reasonable value for comparison purposes if the value is Null. Dim lngMinimum As Long lngMinimum = Nz(Me.Field1, 9999) If Nz(Me.Field2, 9999) < lngMinimum Then lngMinimum = Me.Field2 End If If Nz(Me.Field3, 9999) < lngMinimum Then lngM...

continous form question
Hi, I have a 'continous form' which gets its data from a table. Im using a form for ease of use by the operator and data is displayed in text boxes. My form has 6 columns and thousands of rows - so many records in the table. (its pretty much like an excel spreadsheet). However, on my form, i have a text box and i want the text box to change to eg VBred, if the time on the current record matches the time on the next record. (obvousley time is one of the pieces of data and displayed as hh:mm) As my form is a continous form, if i add my 'colour' text box to ...

How to control what tabs are displayed in Active Directory Users and Computers
I do not see the value to allow the delegate to change the City, State, Country, Office. What am I doing wrong. (see info below) Also is there a way to limit the view of what is shown in Active Directory users and computers, so the Delegate only sees the General, Address, Telephone and Organization tabs? I know the step below lock them out of the other tabs, but there would be less confusion..even if it is registry hack on that local pc. Here are the steps I have done so far: Step 1. Create a Security Group Called 'XYZ' (call it what ever you want Step 2. Open Active Directory User...

displaying charts from Macros
I would like to create the template which will present user with several data entry forms, calculate result and then should presend result as a serie of charts with next button to show next chart. Is it possible to display just the chart windows for each chart or they have to be displayed on separate sheets. Any suggestion on what is the most elegant solution to what I want to do ? Regards, Tony Tony - The chart windows are not stable; they disappear when the user clicks anywhere else. But I don't think you really mean chart windows as such. You can make embedded charts. From Lo...

Set a value on a form
I use the following code to open a form DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria Is there any way to pass data to the form (through the constructor) or to set the value of a label on the form Thank you, Samuel You can use the OpenArgs argument to pass a value to the new form, and then use the new form's Load event to read the value and put it into a control on itself. First step -- pass the value: DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria, , "ValueToPass" Second step - read the value and use it; this code goes with the Load event of the stDocName form: ...

How to find the check form to use for GP 9.0
I don't want to use Deluxe as our check vendor. I want to use Harland. Microsoft MBS sales just gives us Deluxe's phone number, when we request help with obtaining the correct format for Harland checks. Harland has two check formats for GP payable checks. 1) Great Plains Accounting 7.0 - 9.0 2) Great Plains Dynamics Harland isn't sure and can't reference Deluxe. Thanks, John John, From what I can tell from Harland's website, you want the Laser Multi-Purpose checks they show under Microsoft Great Plains. That's the one with the check in the middle, stub on t...

Formula to display Count of Days in given month, using list of Start and End Dates
I have a large number of rows that contain a start date and end date. I am attempting to generate a count of days within that date range that are in a particular month, for example, Jan of 2011. Any suggestions for a formula that could be used to display the amounts shown in Column C would be helpful. Layout is: A B C Start Date End Date Count of Days in Jan2011 1/10/11 4/7/11 21 2/6/11 3/1/11 0 12/20/10 2/15/11 31 Etc. Dave, I think the best way is to create a table f...

sum of directories does not equal disk total?
I want to clean up my drive and to find out where all the usage was I did a "Properties"inquiry on all the directories. The sum of these is short of the total by 48 of 168 gig used on a 250 gig drive. How do I find out what is using the 48? Thanks Andy AndyM wrote: > I want to clean up my drive and to find out where all the usage was I did a > "Properties"inquiry on all the directories. The sum of these is short of the > total by 48 of 168 gig used on a 250 gig drive. How do I find out what is > using the 48? > Thanks > Andy AndyM wrote: ...

How do I sum the displayed values in a stacked chart?
Hi Everyone, I've set up a stacked column chart. In each colum I have stacked up two values. I'm trying to figure out if I can show the summed value of the two values in the chart, and still maintain the automated updates if I change any of my data. Right now, the only way I know how to do this tpying the summed value in. The problem I'm having is that I lose the ability to have the values automatically updates if I do that. Is there any solution to this? Thank you very much for your help. Hi, Explanation here, http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm Chee...

Problem with iif and datediff expression in form
Hi, I have a form where I have to display the value of the field based on some criteria. The first criteria is =IIf((DateDiff("d",[dbo_PWO_Status].[WorkOrderDate],Now())-180)>0,"Y","") and the second criteria to add is dbo_PWO_Status.[Quote] = -1 My first question is how do I accommodate the dbo_PWO_Status.[Quote] = -1 criteria in the iif statement? The second question I have is that with the first expression put in the source for display I am getting Name instead of the Y value for matching condition. I would appreciate any help. Thanks. You n...

Bill of Lading form
I am looking for a Bill of Lading form for Dynamics for shipments my company makes. Has anyone found a form that works with the system? I know that the German version of the program has one, beets me why the US version doesn't. A reasonably good BOL form can be created using Crystal or SRS. You will need to use some of the optional fields in Inventory to flag any items that may require special handling, if your firm has any such hazardous materials. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and che...

Totals Query Help!
Hi, I have a table with the following fields: Manufacturer Model Value SoldMonth What I'm trying to do is write a query that will give me an average Value for each month, but I want the average to be based only on records where the Model is consistent across all months. So if Model x is missing from one or more months all records for that model would be excluded from all the overall Monthly averages. So the query will only average records where the Model is present in each month. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Regards.....Jason It'll help us if you can ...

e-mail the current worksheet using a form button
I want to create a submit button that when I click on it, the current worksheet/file will be e-mailed to someone. Instead of saving the file, then inserting into an e-mail. I have seen this before in a file before, but can't figure out exactly how it works. I happened to notice in the VB Editor I saw something like... CommandClick() Excel.Application.Send "myname@email.com" End Sub Or something similar to that. I don't know any VBA.. So if that's what I need to learn, then let me know. TIA Richard, check out Ron's site for a LOT of information on this http://...