How to create a combo box in a table

OK I will try and make this as detailed as I can

I have a form in that form there is a sub form in a tab, that sub form would
contain a data sheet that has a drop down Box , that drop down box selects a
given product and up dates the price in one of the colums in the data sheet,
by then entering your quantity it would then  give you a total and that
record apon hitting a command button would then be recorded.

Here is my problem I am able to create a form based on a table, placing a
combo box that will up date the text boxes with the selected info, but Im not
able to get this proces into a data sheet to appear in the sub form.

Actually if you look at Northwinds that comes with access and I have for
countless hours and still no success, the suborder for order details form
essentially that is what im trying to do

STOP! Do not work in tables for data entry or editing. Always use forms. You
can easily create datasheet view forms which look like table datasheets, but
will allow validation and VBA code or macros. The Northwind sample database
is an example of how to use some Access features, not good database design.

For a list of reasons why you should use a query to do lookups instead of a
field, have a look at:

http://www.mvps.org/access/tencommandments.htm
and:
http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Gene G" <Gene G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK I will try and make this as detailed as I can
>
> I have a form in that form there is a sub form in a tab, that sub form
> would
> contain a data sheet that has a drop down Box , that drop down box selects
> given product and up dates the price in one of the colums in the data
> sheet,
> by then entering your quantity it would then  give you a total and that
> record apon hitting a command button would then be recorded.
>
> Here is my problem I am able to create a form based on a table, placing a
> combo box that will up date the text boxes with the selected info, but Im
> not
> able to get this proces into a data sheet to appear in the sub form.
>
> Actually if you look at Northwinds that comes with access and I have for
> countless hours and still no success, the suborder for order details form
> essentially that is what im trying to do

0
Arvin
2/13/2008 4:09:19 AM
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:56:00 -0800, Gene G <Gene G@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Here is my problem I am able to create a form based on a table, placing a
>combo box that will up date the text boxes with the selected info, but Im not
>able to get this proces into a data sheet to appear in the sub form.

So? Don't use a Datasheet then; use a Continuous Form.

If you'll post the nature of the problems you're having creating a combo box
on the form we'll be glad to help. It's just NOT necessary to put a combo box
into a table to accomplish this.
--
             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

The table the datasheet is showing should have an ID for the product and a
reference to the product list by ID for the cost of the ID'd product.

Add a combobox that looks up its rows in the product list with a bound on
the ID for that product.
Set the datasorce to the ID in the data sheet.
Once the user chooses the product by name from the combobox the ID will be
changd in the datasheet table. Since the ID in the Table determines the price
to display you will see the price data change in the datasheet due to the
reference.

*Note that the combobox looks like a cell in the datasheet that is dropdown.

"Gene G" wrote:

> OK I will try and make this as detailed as I can
>
> I have a form in that form there is a sub form in a tab, that sub form would
> contain a data sheet that has a drop down Box , that drop down box selects a
> given product and up dates the price in one of the colums in the data sheet,
> by then entering your quantity it would then  give you a total and that
> record apon hitting a command button would then be recorded.
>
> Here is my problem I am able to create a form based on a table, placing a
> combo box that will up date the text boxes with the selected info, but Im not
> able to get this proces into a data sheet to appear in the sub form.
>
> Actually if you look at Northwinds that comes with access and I have for
> countless hours and still no success, the suborder for order details form
> essentially that is what im trying to do

Sub Form Combo Box
I don't understand why this code does not work. When the user enters a date in a text box the subform combo box (CA_NAME) should only show two choices. But nothing happens, no error, nothing.. Help please.... Private Sub TR_ACKNOWLTR_GotFocus() If Me.TR_ACKNOWLTR <> " " Then Me!frmCaseLog!CA_NAME.RowSource = "Select * from tblCommitteeName where [C_Committee] = 'AG'or 'AL'" End If End Sub "Dan @BCBS" <DanBCBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6A659C4-1110-449F-91F5-23FD17A41014@microsoft.com... >I...

Pivot Table Question #12
I've created a pivot table and it works well - counts the number of items in each category. What it doesn't do is count the number of blank cells. It gives me a blank category but, alas, it is blank. I want the blank category line to tell me how many blank cells I have. I know that this is possible, but just can't seem to make it work. Can someone help? Thanks! To count the blanks you could use a space character, or the formula ="", in the source data, instead of leaving the cells blank. The pivot table will be able to count those. Betty Csehi wrote: > I&#...

Pivot Table Data Source, point to cell?
Is there any way to point the data source block to a cell. I want to simply update a cell (i.e. A1) with the range instead having to open the pivot table and changing from the wizard. Is there a way to do this? Example: Cell A1 contains: '[Output 3.24.xls]FORMALS-OUT'!$A$5:$P$65536 Data source in pivot table points to cell A1 to get the range. please tell me there's a way to do this.... thanx.! hi, Jeremy ! > Is there any way to point the data source block to a cell. > I want to simply update a cell (i.e. A1) with the range instead having to open the pivot table >...

create an index listing where specific names are mentioned
I am writing a history about my Dad and Mom. I want to create an index showing the pages specific names are mentioned. How do I do this. Publisher does not have an Index feature. Use Word. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "family history mama" <family history mama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BFF1FE4A-E80F-444F-8E7D-6AA71878D100@microsoft.com... >I am writing a history about my Dad and Mom. I want to create an index > showing the pages specific names are mentioned. How do I do this. ...

data validation fonts differ in drop down box
I am using Excel 2003. I have a group of cells with a data validation "list". That list contains 3 options -- check mark, "X", and "box" -- in Webdings. When you click the drop down box to make a selection the options are in alpha-numeric characters (Arial font(?)) and not Webdings. So my "check mark" becomes an "a" and my "X" becomes an "r". How can I get the drop down box to display the same font as the one in the list? Both the drop down box cells and the "list" cells are formatted with the...

linking Excel table to word
Can anyone tell me how I can have an excel table linked to a word table so that the word table dynamically updates itself based on the values in excel cells? Much appreciate it if anyone can point me to direction Thrava Hi in MS Word just insert the Excel sheet as Excel object (Edit - Paste Special) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Thrava" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0cea01c46e91$faae80b0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone tell me how I can have an excel table linked to > a word table so that the word table dynamically u...

using check boxes in excel
how do i simplfy size and centering of check boxes on multiple columns? Hi Tommy, Something like this may get you going. Used macro recorder and then tweaked the code. Sub BoxesAway() Dim i As Integer Dim j As Integer Dim k As Integer j = 1.5 k = 1 For i = 1 To 5 ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes.Add(j, 10.25, 24, 17.25).Select Selection.ShapeRange.ScaleWidth 1.91, msoFalse, msoScaleFromTopLeft Selection.Characters.Text = "Howard" & k j = j + 48 k = k + 1 Next Range("A1").Select End Sub HTH Regards, Howard "Tommy" <anonymous@discussions.micr...

create calendar drop down list in Excel sell
i would like to create calendar drop down list in Excel. Is it possible to import it or link a sell to a calendar? Hi try: http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Bo" <Bo@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0F312DC0-3E90-4A1B-9B3C-7D239A5845A7@microsoft.com... > i would like to create calendar drop down list in Excel. Is it possible to > import it or link a sell to a calendar? ...

Generating a table of figures and table of tables using 'insert caption'

startup dialog box
I would like to create a startup dialog box that users can read, and then check a box that would prevent it from showing every other time they open the database. Basically, I want it to be a kind of "First time use, get to know the database" dialog box that they can read the first time they open the database, and then if they don't want to read it each time, they can check a box and it goes away everyother time they open the database. How would I go about doing that? I read a post that will create the dialog box, but I don't know about adding the check box. On Tue,...

Enlarged Input Box and today's date input
I have a sheet that I want a salesperson to record daily notes with a client. When they click on the cell I want a flyout type box (or enlarged box) that can scroll up and down to see past notes. I would like the lines to be entered bottom up so the last entry will be the one that shows in the cell when the cell is not selected. I would like the input line to automatically have today's date in the beginning and the cursor be next to that so an entry can be typed in. I hope this isn't too big a request! Thanks! Steve You may want to look at Data|Form to see if that does what...

Median in Excel 2007 pivot-tables
HI, I am working on pivot table for data analysis, where I need to show the median. While working on this I found that "Median" is not supported in pivot tables. Is there any way I can use median function in pivot tables? Best Regards, Venkataramana AFAIK, you can't alter pivot tables, but you can certainly copy/paste special (perhaps a new sheet), and then do whatever you want to it (perhaps in an adjacent column). -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "Venkataramana" wrote: ...

Creating Namespace Attributes
Hello, I'm trying to round-trip some XML out of Adobe InDesign, through my application and then back into InDesign. Tables in InDesign are created using a specific namespace like this: <Table TABLE_TYPE="table05" xmlns:aid="http://ns.adobe.com/AdobeInDesign/4.0/" aid:table="table" aid:trows="7" aid:tcols="2"> <Cell aid:table="cell" aid:crows="1" aid:ccols="1" aid:ccolwidth="73.79470231328037"> etc. Now, I'm looking to add a new table, so what I'm doing is constr...

Filter a List Box Using a Combo Box
I have a dialog box that contains a list box of all my records; basically this is used as a way for a person to find/edit a previously-entered record (select from list box and click to edit/view). The list box is based on a simple query. I want to add a combo box that will allow me to filter the list box by one of the fields - so the user could select what type of record he/she would like to see, and the list box would automatically filter. I know I need an After Update event on the combo box, but I can't figure out the code. The complicating factor is that there are other filter...

Filtering a combo box
I have a spreadsheet with 2 combo boxes. The first box calls from a list of 5 items. The second box calls from a list of 50, and they are related to combo box 1. How do I filter combo box 2 so that only items related to combo box 1 show in the list? These combo boxes will be copied down the page for multiple selections. Is this possible and if so how ? .....Thanks Hi Steve, I don't know if you're committed to a combo box or not. If not you might consider using data validation, which will probably work much faster than a combo box. Debra Dalgleish has an excellent websi...

Creating Custom Recipient Policy
Hi, I am running exchange 2003, the companyi work for aquired many companies and changeing email address for x number of employees. so i am currently acceptting about 6 differerent email address with the old and the new. when all is said and done. i would like to have a custom recipient policy for each primary email address. so the user do not end up with them all on their smtp properties. I just want them to have there old and new primary. i quess i am asking how can i create 3 different primary address for different users in the same company? thanks a bunch in advance for helping Pa...

Creating a button that goes to the next new record
I am fairly new to access and i am trying to build an inventory database that lists all our grounds maintenance equipment. I have all the records typed in but would like a button for adding new equipment as it is purchased. Ideally the button will take me to the next new record rather than an existing one. What is the easiest way of doing this? I am using Access 2003 At the bottom of your form, there are navigation buttons, like this: |< < [ 5] > >| * of 77 records The star button takes you to a new record. If you don't see this, open the form in design view, an...

Combo Box Sorting Problem
Hello experts, My report deals with data for wells. I have a combo box where the user will choose the name of the well, then it will display the appropriate report. It works great. However, the list in teh combo box shows as follows: paramount 1 denver Atlas Bailey 1 Bailey 5 Bell 10 Bell 12 Bell 14 Bell 17 Bell 2 Bell 5 Bell 6 Borie 1 BELMOT 1 BELMOT 12 BELMOT 2 BELMOT 3 Obviously, the issues are: upper/lower case not consistent; the numbers next to names are not sorted properly. Is there a code that would allow no case sensitivity and sort names with numbers appropriately? I a...

create a transfer from hq
Can you advise why when we create a transfer from hq. The sending store edits it but the receiving store does not see the changes? eg issuing store changes amount from 5 to 10 Receiving store still sees 5 not 10 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://w...

create defined name using variable file name in reference
please help in create defined name EXAMPLe: create name : ACCPath ---- Referes to (='E:\Data Folder\[externa work book.xlsx]sheet1'!$K$8:$K$10000) this works I NEED to put (external work book.xlsx) in a cell and refere to it as variable in the referes to (='E:\Data Folder\[&U2&]sheet1'!$K$8:$K$10000) where U2 having the file name because it is changing meny times Activeworkbook.Names.Add Name:="ACCPath", RefersTo:= "=" & Activesheet.Range("U2").Value2 --- HTH Bob Phillips "hala" <hala@discussions.mi...

Pivot Table help needed
HI, I tried to the example given in this site... http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html For Show/Hide Items -- Visible property is not working. Visible Property is working if the data source is EXcel itself. If the data source is analysis Manager, Visible property is always true...Is there any work around. I have done the macro recording. That is giving a long code which can not be implemented. also I will not able to add a calculated member in the pivot table because the olap datasource is analaysis amanager.. Thanks in advance for any help regarding this. Thanks and regards. ...

DPM 2007 SP1 does not see sharepoint when creating a protection gr
When creating a protection group in DPM 2007 SP1 I do not see the SharePoint farm listed. I have done the following to the Server 2003 R2 SP2 x86 DPM Server: 1. Installed Hotfix Package KB976542 October 2009 I have done the following to the Server 2003 R2 SP2 x86 WFE that DPM is pointed to: 1. Added the sharepoint Farm Administrator account to the Local Administrators group 2. Entered ConfigureSharePoint -EnableSharePointProtection command and the Windows SharePoint Services farm administrator credentials when prompted 3. Entered ConfigureSharePoint -ResolveAllSQLAliases N...

default combo box value based on most recent record
Hi, I'm working on a database for financial planning. A client could have many plans written over time and it would be best if the same plan writer prepared them. How would I get the Plan Writer combo box value to default to be the same as last time for a particular client. I don't want to simply assign a plan writer to a client, thats not very flexible. My database has a Plan table with lookups for Client and PlanWriter. The Plan table is used as the record source for a form. So, if the most recent record for Fred Flintstone has Barney Rubble listed as the Plan Writer, the next ...

Creating custom color palettes from worksheet ranges
Can anyone recommend a free utility I can use to populate Excel's color palette from cells in Excel 95 or 2000? I want to create custom palettes but I don't want the effort of changing the palette by hand. I would like to do one of the following A B C D 1 Color Red Grn Blu 2 Red 1 1 1 3 Green 1 1 1 4 Blue 1 1 1 5 Orange 1 1 1 or A B C D 1 Color Hue Sat Lum 2 Red 1 1 1 3 Green 1 1 ...

I need Create a National Account and Child Account
Hi. I need Create a National Account and Child Account, too. I am Using a Econnet Schemas, i can create a ParentId, but can't create a childparenteId, i don't konw that schema will use to create this childparent, i read the SDK but i don´t understand how to apply this schema in VB.NET. How i can to create this ChildParentid in VB.NET?? I need only one example to Understand how to create this!!!!! I need create this account from CRM and i'm using a webservices whit VB to create this account!! thanks!!!!!! ...