How do you get the maximum value to display in text box form

In a form, if I have 4 text boxes and 3 of them will contain a number. How do
you get the maximum value to display in the 4th. I have tried many different
things, I can make it work for a single field in a table, but that finds the
value through all records. I just want it to display the max value from the
numbers on the form, which could be different for various records.

You could use something like this as the Control Source of the 4th text box
(the underscore is for ease of reading here, and must be removed from the
Control Source):
=IIf([Field1]>[Field2] And [Field1]>[Field3],[Field1], _
  IIf([Field2]>[Field1] And [Field2]>[Field3],[Field2],[Field3]))

You could use the same expression as a query field.  Substitute the name you
choose for the field and a colon for the = sign:

HighNumber:  IIf etc.

Will there ever be a "tie" for high number?

"esparzaone" <esparzaone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In a form, if I have 4 text boxes and 3 of them will contain a number. How
> do
> you get the maximum value to display in the 4th. I have tried many
> different
> things, I can make it work for a single field in a table, but that finds
> the
> value through all records. I just want it to display the max value from
> the
> numbers on the form, which could be different for various records.

0
BruceM
2/5/2008 6:55:55 PM
Use a function like this as the control source of text box 4:

Private Function HighNum() as String
Dim strMax as String

    With Me
        If .Text1 > strMax Then
            strMax = .Text1
        End If
        If .Text2 > strMax Then
            strMax = .Text2
        End If
        If .Text3 > strMax Then
            strMax = .Text3
        End If
        If .Text4 > strMax Then
            strMax = .Text4
        End If
    End With

    HighNum = strMax
End Function
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"esparzaone" wrote:

> In a form, if I have 4 text boxes and 3 of them will contain a number. How do
> you get the maximum value to display in the 4th. I have tried many different
> things, I can make it work for a single field in a table, but that finds the
> value through all records. I just want it to display the max value from the
> numbers on the form, which could be different for various records.
Hello,

This may seem strange and is way off topic; Klatuu, are you a BF2 player?
Ive seen that username quite a bit on BF2 Tracker.

Adam

"Klatuu" wrote:

> Use a function like this as the control source of text box 4:
>
> Private Function HighNum() as String
> Dim strMax as String
>
>     With Me
>         If .Text1 > strMax Then
>             strMax = .Text1
>         End If
>         If .Text2 > strMax Then
>             strMax = .Text2
>         End If
>         If .Text3 > strMax Then
>             strMax = .Text3
>         End If
>         If .Text4 > strMax Then
>             strMax = .Text4
>         End If
>     End With
>
>     HighNum = strMax
> End Function
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "esparzaone" wrote:
>
> > In a form, if I have 4 text boxes and 3 of them will contain a number. How do
> > you get the maximum value to display in the 4th. I have tried many different
> > things, I can make it work for a single field in a table, but that finds the
> > value through all records. I just want it to display the max value from the
> > numbers on the form, which could be different for various records.
I know that access is different than excel but why do we use if statements in
access and =max in excel to get the highest number?

"esparzaone" wrote:

> In a form, if I have 4 text boxes and 3 of them will contain a number. How do
> you get the maximum value to display in the 4th. I have tried many different
> things, I can make it work for a single field in a table, but that finds the
> value through all records. I just want it to display the max value from the
> numbers on the form, which could be different for various records.
You said it yourself: they are different.  Max in Excel looks for the
highest value in a range.  You can build your own Access function, as Klatuu
has suggested, or modify it to loop through a variable number of controls
(maybe by using the Tag property, or the control name, or something else to
identify the controls in question).  You could also loop through fields, but
the Tag function is out in that case.  However, there is no built-in way to
identify a range because the table columns (fields) have names you give
them, not cell addresses, so there is no way to identify a range by using
cell addresses as you would in Excel.  A1:E1 identifies six contiguous cells
in the first row of an Excel spreadsheet, but in an Access table the six
leftmost fields do not lend themselves to the same type of ready
identification.
Access is a relational database, while Excel is a flat file.  A table
resembles a spreadsheet, but is an entirely different creature.  Different
ways of thinking about and managing data apply.

>I know that access is different than excel but why do we use if statements
>in
> access and =max in excel to get the highest number?
>
> "esparzaone" wrote:
>
>> In a form, if I have 4 text boxes and 3 of them will contain a number.
>> How do
>> you get the maximum value to display in the 4th. I have tried many
>> different
>> things, I can make it work for a single field in a table, but that finds
>> the
>> value through all records. I just want it to display the max value from
>> the
>> numbers on the form, which could be different for various records.

0
BruceM
2/5/2008 8:54:19 PM
The formula I am looking for is something along the lines of:
Dmax(“[A1]”+”[B1]”,”FORMNAME”,”[A1]”+”[B1”]>”&”0”)

I’m guessing the biggest issues are 1.  you cannot specify a form as a
domain 2. You cannot have multiple fields in the expression or criteria.

"esparzaone" wrote:

> I know that access is different than excel but why do we use if statements in
> access and =max in excel to get the highest number?
>
> "esparzaone" wrote:
>
> > In a form, if I have 4 text boxes and 3 of them will contain a number. How do
> > you get the maximum value to display in the 4th. I have tried many different
> > things, I can make it work for a single field in a table, but that finds the
> > value through all records. I just want it to display the max value from the
> > numbers on the form, which could be different for various records.
The formula I am looking for is something along the lines of:
Dmax(“[A1]”+”[B1]”,”FORMNAME”,”[A1]”+”[B1”]>”&”0”)

Is there a query I should bring in to the form to calculate the highest
number?  This is what I have so far.  I populate the form with information
from the tables based off of a drop down box in the form.  There could be
several rows and columns of data.  I want to insert a text box to give the
max value by row.  I am fair at access but I am not sure how to go about this.

"BruceM" wrote:

> You said it yourself: they are different.  Max in Excel looks for the
> highest value in a range.  You can build your own Access function, as Klatuu
> has suggested, or modify it to loop through a variable number of controls
> (maybe by using the Tag property, or the control name, or something else to
> identify the controls in question).  You could also loop through fields, but
> the Tag function is out in that case.  However, there is no built-in way to
> identify a range because the table columns (fields) have names you give
> them, not cell addresses, so there is no way to identify a range by using
> cell addresses as you would in Excel.  A1:E1 identifies six contiguous cells
> in the first row of an Excel spreadsheet, but in an Access table the six
> leftmost fields do not lend themselves to the same type of ready
> identification.
> Access is a relational database, while Excel is a flat file.  A table
> resembles a spreadsheet, but is an entirely different creature.  Different
> ways of thinking about and managing data apply.
>
> "esparzaone" <esparzaone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I know that access is different than excel but why do we use if statements
> >in
> > access and =max in excel to get the highest number?
> >
> > "esparzaone" wrote:
> >
> >> In a form, if I have 4 text boxes and 3 of them will contain a number.
> >> How do
> >> you get the maximum value to display in the 4th. I have tried many
> >> different
> >> things, I can make it work for a single field in a table, but that finds
> >> the
> >> value through all records. I just want it to display the max value from
> >> the
> >> numbers on the form, which could be different for various records.

sort of window on the data, not the record source itself.  However, a bound
form has a record source, so you can use that as the domain.  In regards to
multiple fields in the expression or criteria, you can do that, but the
syntax neeeds to change:

=Dmax("[A1] + [B1]","YourTable","[A1] + [B1] > 0")

It also seems to work to write the criteria a bit differently.  Frankly,
there are some things about the use of quotes and ampersands in these
situations that I don't quite get.

=Dmax("[A1] + [B1]","YourTable","[A1] + [B1] > " & 0)

In any case the 0 in the criteria is a number, so it does not have quotes
around it.

Let's say YourTable has the following records (ID is the primary key):
ID    A1    B1
1       1        2
2       2        2
3       2        1

DMax("[A1] + [B1]","YourTable") is 4 (A1 + B1 in record ID 2).
However, this is different from what you originally asked.  DMax is a domain
aggregate function, which means it searches the entire domain for, in this
case, the highest A1 + B1 value.  To search for the field with the highest
value you need an expression or function in a control or in the query being
used as the record source.

Klatuu has suggested a function that can be used as the control source of a
text box.  To use the function, open the form's code module.  To do this,
open the form in design view.  Click View > Code (or use the code icon on
the toolbar).  With the code window open, paste the suggested code.  At the
top, just under Option Compare Database (or Option Explicit, it it's there),
is a good place.  Modify the code to reflect the names of your actual text
boxes 1, 2, and 3 (in place of Text1, etc.).  Click Debug > Compile to be
sure the code contains no syntax errors.  If all is well, nothing will
happen; otherwise you will see a highlighted line of code.  In the fourth
text box, set the control source to:
=HighNum()

You should be able to use the function in a calculated field in a query, as
long as you are using a mdb database with the Jet database engine.  You are
probably using Jet (which ships with Access, and which you are using unless
you specifically set up your database with SQL server).  I don't see an
advantage to that, but I expect it could be done.  You would have something
like this in a new column in query design view:
HighestNum: HighNum()
Use the query as the form's record source, and bind a text box to
HighestNum.

By the way, a row is typically referred to as a record.  It may appear as a
row similar to an Excel row if you are using datasheet view, but as I said
it is quite different.

> The formula I am looking for is something along the lines of:
> Dmax(“[A1]”+”[B1]”,”FORMNAME”,”[A1]”+”[B1”]>”&”0”)
>
> Is there a query I should bring in to the form to calculate the highest
> number?  This is what I have so far.  I populate the form with information
> from the tables based off of a drop down box in the form.  There could be
> several rows and columns of data.  I want to insert a text box to give the
> max value by row.  I am fair at access but I am not sure how to go about
> this.
>
> "BruceM" wrote:
>
>> You said it yourself: they are different.  Max in Excel looks for the
>> highest value in a range.  You can build your own Access function, as
>> Klatuu
>> has suggested, or modify it to loop through a variable number of controls
>> (maybe by using the Tag property, or the control name, or something else
>> identify the controls in question).  You could also loop through fields,
>> but
>> the Tag function is out in that case.  However, there is no built-in way
>> identify a range because the table columns (fields) have names you give
>> them, not cell addresses, so there is no way to identify a range by using
>> cell addresses as you would in Excel.  A1:E1 identifies six contiguous
>> cells
>> in the first row of an Excel spreadsheet, but in an Access table the six
>> leftmost fields do not lend themselves to the same type of ready
>> identification.
>> Access is a relational database, while Excel is a flat file.  A table
>> resembles a spreadsheet, but is an entirely different creature.
>> Different
>> ways of thinking about and managing data apply.
>>
>> "esparzaone" <esparzaone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I know that access is different than excel but why do we use if
>> >statements
>> >in
>> > access and =max in excel to get the highest number?

0
BruceM

Comments Boxes
My organization uses a time sheet program built in excel. The auditor requires a "comments box" be added to note any changes made to the time sheet after the employee signs it. Sometimes there ends up being dozens of comments boxes all over the time sheet. We have to print each one and file them at the administrative office. My questions are, is there a way the comments can be printed on a seperate sheet? If so, can it list not only the content of the comments box but the address of the cell it referenced? Then, can it be coded so the comments boxes don't sh...

Publisher does not recognize tab-delimited text files in a mail m.
I am a student who is learning MS Publisher 2003. In mail merges, publisher does not recognize tab-delimited text files. If you try to mail merge with a tdt file, the data appears as one column entry, making it impossible to sort by separate fields or insert separte fields as a formally formatted address block. Converting the file to a comma-delimited text file (comma separated values) solves the problem. The fields appear separately as they should in the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box, so that you can sort by separate fields and then set up a properly formatted address block. Pl...

Create a textbox that displays a list of possible items as we type
Hi All, Is it possible to display a list once user starts typing a word in vba? For eg, I have a userform connected to access database(I can already pull info from access, based on what user inputs in ID field), So Once a user starts typing in a text box, lets say User Name textbox, a list of users is displayed (something like google search, we start writing in the search bar and it suggests us what we might want based on what text we input) SO if I type in "A" in User Name text box, I get all the names starting with "A" such as: Name: [ A.... ] ...

Mails doesn't get received into INBOX
Hi, A user has several smtp address for his mailbox (6-8).when we send mail to primary address the user doesnot receive the mail, but when we send mail to his other SMTP addresses the user receives the mail. Any troubleshooting tips ??? Thanks in advance. Alex - What happens to the messages sent to the primary address? - Check SMTP log and Message Tracking to figure out. - Does the sender get a NDR? - Try sending a message (to the user's primary address) by telnetting to server's SMTP port - does it accept the message? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog ...

How to assign value to controls on a Report
I am trying to assign value on a txtbox control from a form to a txtbox control on a report. Form txtbox control:txtBeginDateRange Report txtbox control:txtStartDate reportName = "Report by DR and Vendor" I am have a problem with this line of code Reports![reportName]!txtStartDate = Me.txtBeginDateRange DoCmd.OpenReport reportName, acViewPreview Any help will be appreciated. Thank you. Ayo. Answered in another post where you asked the same question. ...

why do I get a message that says save a copy or overwrite changes
When I try and save a workbook, I get a message that says save a copy or overwrite changes. Why am I getting this message? Did you click File|SaveAs instead of File|Save? Jennifer wrote: > > When I try and save a workbook, I get a message that says save a copy or > overwrite changes. Why am I getting this message? -- Dave Peterson ...

Broken lines in a chart to display extreme values?
Sometimes a single extreme value causes the rest of the data to become too small, like a bar chart of the values (10000, 4, 3, 2, 4, 5). The way to avoid is to use broken lines where the axis makes a leap from 10 to 9990 with a dotted gap inbetween. I couldn't find a way to implement this in Excel. Is there a way? Hi, It is not a built in option but can be constructed. http://www.andypope.info/charts/brokencolumn.htm Cheers Andy Metin Örsel wrote: > Sometimes a single extreme value causes the rest of the data to become too > small, like a bar chart of the values (10000,...

Pasting values not formulas in Excel 2002
How does one copy and paste values rather than formulas in Excel 2002? I have Excel 97 and Excel 2000 and in both one can do this through Edit -> Paste Special But Paste Special does not give you this option in Excel 2002 and I cannot find any help in the online Help with about how to paste values. Hi Stephen, I use XL2002 and I can Copy --> Paste Special --> Values with n problem. Edit Paste Special Values Values is in the Paste Section in "Paste Special" and is the thir option on the left. I hope this helps you. Carlos Lopez -- Message posted from http://ww...

How to retreive deepest XPath value from XML using VB.NET
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C63D0B.9BCC4D30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi All, Does anyone know how to retreive deepest XPath value from XML document = by using VB.NET? For example, if I had an XML file like this: <Root> <Customer> <Name>MyName</Name> </Customer> </Root> I would like to retreive "\Root\Customer\Name" out of it. Something = like: Dim xmlDoc As XMLDocument Dim strXPath As String =3D xmlDoc.GetXPa...

deleting lines on text boxes
I do not want to print the lines in a text box in microsoft publisher. How do I do this? If you mean the line *around* a text box:: Click inside the text box Right-click - select Format Text Box Colors and Lines Tab - under Lines|Color, make sure it says No Line Click OK -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Paul Rozewicz" <Paul Rozewicz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C89EDDA3-8F82-4F19-BA70-75FE82061B93@microsoft.com... >I do not want to print the lines in a text box in microsoft publisher. How > do I do this? ...

Search Form 11-19-09
I have created a search form that has unbound text boxes to search the database. There are fields for SSN's, FEIN's and a permit number. When I search on any of these numbers I get multiple records even though these records are all unique? Any pointers will help, I wish I could load the database here. thanks On Nov 20, 8:54=A0am, Dave <davidstev...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have created a search form that has unbound text boxes to search the > database. There are fields for SSN's, FEIN's and =A0a permit number. > When I search on any of these numbers I...

Unable to display the folder. (Additional mailbox)
We are using Exchange Server 2000 and Outlook 2003. I have tried to add User Y's mailbox to User X's Outlook under Exchange (open these additional mailboxes). No matter what, I keep getting a gray screen when clicking on the Mailbox in user's Folder List with the following error message: "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location." I have made sure of the following: 1. User Y has given User X delegate privleges for Inbox, Calendar, Tasks, Contacts & Notes. All privileges are set to Editor. 2. I have...

Only chart numerical values, not error values
In my data series I am using NA() in a formula so that #N/A shows up in the cell. From the website listed below I thought that this would not chart the error values but my charts are still conecting all my marks. Can Excel only show my MIN/MAX marks? =IF($B2=MAX($B2:$B$1562),$B2,NA()) http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FormatMinMax.html Thanks! Hi, If you have #N/A in the cell then the point will not be plotted. But if there is a valid data point(s) after it then the line will be plotted to join those points interpolating the gap in between. It will not leave put a break in the line....

Excel / VBA
Hi, I am trying to find how to add or remove the description displayed on the "Macro" pop-up menu (Alt-F8). Generally macros recorded have a banale description giving the time/date & username, others that I write directly in the VBE have none. Can anyone point how to add/modify this description? thanks, Scott --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Scott, When the macro recorder fires up, the first dialog allows you to put whatever description you want in, including none if so desired. The value gets saved as comments, but changing the comments does not chang...

Reservation Form
I have an active website for my business. I built it in Frontpage 2002. It no longer will send email through the settings I used ( Reservation form) and I cannot get it to take any of the settings I give it. I do not think that my knowledge is sufisticated enough. And, I don't think that I am entering the information completely enough. I am using a simple form with a single enter button. Can you help? May be possible. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "FrontPage 2002 on windows XP" <FrontPage200...

excel
I experimented with Text to Voice and now I CANNOT TURN IT OFF! It operates in every spreadsheet and in every cell - it is driving me nuts! Please - how do you stop it! - the toolbar does not work - it stops it if I am quick enough for the one cell but carries on in all the rest!*! Thanks Ally64000@yahoo.co.uk Go 'View' > 'Toolbars' > check 'Text to speech' and the toolbar will appear Toggle the icon on the right, 'Speech on enter' to off Regards, "ally" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:079701c46e53$e386cde0...

Where can I get a doc/resource telling me which Entity is used where
Hi I am wanting to modify some of the forms/views in our MSCRM3 install. But I am having problems finding which entity is used where. Can someone let me know where I can find documentation that provides this info? TIA Antony ...

how do I increase drop list font and box size I created
Font is small and you have to scroll through list due to box size If the dropdown was created using Data Validation.............Font size is set at 8pt Dropdown box height cannot be changed. For workarounds like using a ComboBox and using Zoom see Debra Dalgleish's site on DV Lists. http://www.contextures.on.ca/tiptech.html Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 11:36:02 -0700, cdietz1 <cdietz1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Font is small and you have to scroll through list due to box size ...

Form Based Auth.
Hi All, I have checked the option to use form based authentication but I don't get the web page login - still the pop up login box. I have restarted IIS. This is all internal at the moment till i get the forms working. Any ideas. Regards Joe. Do you have "require SSL" checked on the Exchange (and Public) virtual directories in IIS? Have you tried going to the https:// site manually? Forms-based auth only works with SSL. If you haven't required SSL and you go to the http page, it will still work just fine and will pop up the login box. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP ...

Multi-field search form
Hi there, I am rather new to this place, so I would like to thank you all up front for any and all assistance you may provide. :) It has been a while since I worked with MS Access last. What I am trying to do is create a multi-field search form, where any of the fields can be filled which will display a result set. Preferably if no selection in the fields is made, the entire resultset should be shown - this is not a requirement, though. I seem to be a bit at a loss on how to procede with this task or to find any resources to help me get along. Again, thanks for any and ...

how do I get outlook to go online?
I can't seem to find an answer to my problem. I have installed Microsoft Outlook 2003 but everytime I click on it it says it cannot find a connection to the internet even though I am CONNECTED! Do I have to subscribe to something? Can someone please help. I am fast giving up on Outlook. Thanx. What kind of e-mail account are you using and how did you set it up? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Res" wrote: > I can't seem to ...

Stop advancing in form with the "next" arrow at end of "list"
I have an editable form for users where they can query by date, etc. However, the next entry arrow allows them to advance beyond the result. For example, if their query resulted in 1 of 4, they can still click to 5, 6, and so on which only adds blank lines to the database table. How do I set this to stop at the last entry of their original query? You can cancel adding new records like this: Private Sub Form_BeforeInsert(Cancel As Integer) Cancel = True End Sub Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia "Duchess" <Duchess@discuss...

OWA
SBS 2003 SP1, Exch 2003 SP2, FBA w/ SSL. If I add/delete a calendar event via OWA, I get a 5.1.7 NDR in my Inbox (pasted below). The calendar item is added/delete, and I see it in OWA or Outlook. I haven't seen any other posts similar to this, nothing on MS support. Any clues? ========== Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Sent: 12/21/2006 8:24 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: System Attendant on 12/21/2006 8:24 AM The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or t...

Add value when recording a macro
Hello, I recorded a macro to create a bar chart - I checked the checkbox to add the values. Stopped recording and showed me the chart with the values. If I run the macro again, it does not display the value. What is the code I need to always display the value? -- LizW After you create the chart, turn on the macro recorder again Select the chart, and choose Chart>Chart Options On the Data Labels tab, check Values Click OK Turn off the macro recorder In the recorded code, you'll see a line similar to this: ActiveChart.ApplyDataLabels AutoText:=True, LegendKey:=False, _ Ha...

Automatically display set text based on users composition
Hi, im trying to do something really simple, trouble is i dont know what the feature's called to be able to search for tips on how to do it. Basically in outlook messages, when a user begins writing a sentence e.g. "in the terms of" i need a tag to pop up that allows the user to press enter and then the remainder of what they will want to type in will be inserted in, its a yellow tag that comes up above the words. i dont know where it needs to be created and enabled. Cheers, Rhys. ...