How do I select records using a combo box (rather than the navigat

I have a simple table that stores addresses of people.  It looks like this:

ID          Name         Phone Number
1            Suzy           978-4658
2            Tom            876-1234

I want to use a form that allows a user to update the addresses of people.

When I create a form using the wizard, I move between records using the
navigator buttons.  But I want to move between records using a combo box that
lists all the names in the table.

Why?  Because if I had 100 names in the table I don't want the user to click
through the navigator to find their record.  I want them to use a combo box
that allows them to quickly locate the name and then update the address for
that record.

How do I do this?  Thanks.

Use the After Update event of the combo box to navigate to the selected record.
For example purposes, I will assume ID is the primary key.

    With Me.RecordsetClone
        .FindFirst  "[ID] = " & Me.MyCombo
        If Not .NoMatch Then
            Me.Bookmark = .Bookmark
        End If
    End With

Change MyCombo to the name of you combo box.
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"cuyeda" wrote:

> I have a simple table that stores addresses of people.  It looks like this:
>
> ID          Name         Phone Number
> 1            Suzy           978-4658
> 2            Tom            876-1234
>
> I want to use a form that allows a user to update the addresses of people.
>
> When I create a form using the wizard, I move between records using the
> navigator buttons.  But I want to move between records using a combo box that
> lists all the names in the table.
>
> Why?  Because if I had 100 names in the table I don't want the user to click
> through the navigator to find their record.  I want them to use a combo box
> that allows them to quickly locate the name and then update the address for
> that record.
>
> How do I do this?  Thanks.
Thanks a million.  You are an MVP indeed.

(And I also just discovered that the wizard gives you an option to
automatically do this when you create the combo box - but I'm glad I know the
code to do it myself now).

"Klatuu" wrote:

> Use the After Update event of the combo box to navigate to the selected record.
> For example purposes, I will assume ID is the primary key.
>
>     With Me.RecordsetClone
>         .FindFirst  "[ID] = " & Me.MyCombo
>         If Not .NoMatch Then
>             Me.Bookmark = .Bookmark
>         End If
>     End With
>
> Change MyCombo to the name of you combo box.
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "cuyeda" wrote:
>
> > I have a simple table that stores addresses of people.  It looks like this:
> >
> > ID          Name         Phone Number
> > 1            Suzy           978-4658
> > 2            Tom            876-1234
> >
> > I want to use a form that allows a user to update the addresses of people.
> >
> > When I create a form using the wizard, I move between records using the
> > navigator buttons.  But I want to move between records using a combo box that
> > lists all the names in the table.
> >
> > Why?  Because if I had 100 names in the table I don't want the user to click
> > through the navigator to find their record.  I want them to use a combo box
> > that allows them to quickly locate the name and then update the address for
> > that record.
> >
> > How do I do this?  Thanks.
The more experience you get, the less you will use wizards.
Glad I could help.
--

"cuyeda" wrote:

> Thanks a million.  You are an MVP indeed.
>
> (And I also just discovered that the wizard gives you an option to
> automatically do this when you create the combo box - but I'm glad I know the
> code to do it myself now).
>
> "Klatuu" wrote:
>
> > Use the After Update event of the combo box to navigate to the selected record.
> > For example purposes, I will assume ID is the primary key.
> >
> >     With Me.RecordsetClone
> >         .FindFirst  "[ID] = " & Me.MyCombo
> >         If Not .NoMatch Then
> >             Me.Bookmark = .Bookmark
> >         End If
> >     End With
> >
> > Change MyCombo to the name of you combo box.
> > --
> > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> > "cuyeda" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a simple table that stores addresses of people.  It looks like this:
> > >
> > > ID          Name         Phone Number
> > > 1            Suzy           978-4658
> > > 2            Tom            876-1234
> > >
> > > I want to use a form that allows a user to update the addresses of people.
> > >
> > > When I create a form using the wizard, I move between records using the
> > > navigator buttons.  But I want to move between records using a combo box that
> > > lists all the names in the table.
> > >
> > > Why?  Because if I had 100 names in the table I don't want the user to click
> > > through the navigator to find their record.  I want them to use a combo box
> > > that allows them to quickly locate the name and then update the address for
> > > that record.
> > >
> > > How do I do this?  Thanks.

cannot connect to CRM using web client
Hello... I have the following problem. I set up CRM 3.0 on a Virtual PC Server inside a windows 2003 server. Inside the VPC the crm server behaves correctly, I can open Internet explorer and connect normally. Now, when connecting from the host server or from another computer in another network, I cannot connect to CRM. Is not that I'm having network problems, because when IE tries to connect to CRM Website, it asks for a user and password. In a normal case the user will be crmdomain\user. the user is created in Active Directory and CRM within the VPC. Apparently the VPC IIS i...

Size of drop down boxes
I have a number of drop down select boxes, through the dta/validatio method, i want all the options to be displayed instead of having t scroll up and down, is this possible Thanks Rober -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi AFAIK this is not possible with data validation listboxes -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I have a number of drop down select boxes, through the dta/validation > method, i want all the options to be displayed instead of having to > scroll up and down, is this possible > Thanks > Robert > > > --- > Message posted fro...

Generating a new Record
Can anyone help point out what i am doing wrong Please? I want to generata a new record and I get to that point by having the user enter a search for a record in a Table via a combo. When the record is Found in the Table, no problem The user can view the Record, Edit it, etc. When the record is not Found in the Table, the "not in List" event triggers the question "Not Found, Do You Want To Generate"? The answer "Yes" triggers the Code DoCmd.accNewRecord acForm,Me.Name,acNewRec My Form then displays a blank series of Fields (Name Address, etc) and my...

Exchange 2000 box freezes and needs reboot DAILY!
Hello, I'm having a problem with my mail server. The box freezes (Move mouse NOTHING hit keyboad NOTHING) and seems to shut it's self down (At the time it hung). Fun Eh? My first thoughts were screen saver settings. The next thing was the video card drivers, changed them and same thing. So tried new vid card to no avail. Changed to PCI vid card still the same effect. Now starting to think it's the motherboard or some combination of settings. Does anyone have any idea of what may be causing my problem? Looking into the event viewer there is nothing extraordinary about the...

How do I change the color for cell selection in excel?
I just started using Excel 2007. In the older versions when I select a row, column, or specific group of cells, Excel would highlight the group in a certain color. In Excel 2007, it simply surrounds the selected group of cells with a thick black line. I've tried going into Excel Options under Advanced but couldn't find how to do this. Can you assist me in changing this feature? On Dec 31 2007, 6:52 pm, dminliberty <dminlibe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just started using Excel 2007. In the older versions when I select a row, > column, or specific grou...

Re: MOVE (rather than copy) sent items
Thinking more about it, can I do a rule to copy sent items NOT containing a specific word in the TO field? John "John Nice" <johnDOTniceATbtinternetDOTcom> wrote in message news:... > Hallo Diane, many thanks for the response. I have autoarchive set to > clean out items older than 1 day and to permanently delete them, but > nothing happens. The copy rule works fine: I just wanted to do this with > some sensitive mail and let the rest go to the sent folder for manual > filing I guess I could do a rule to copy everything else to, for example, > a mi...

Copy CHarts using a MACRO
Hi All, Would somebody help me please!!! I have a workbook with two sheets. The first sheet contains many tables that produce one pie chart based on the data in each table. My problem is that I want to copy each pie chart onto the other worksheet. I created a macro that copies each pie chart to a new row on the sheet. The only porblem is that the macro will not work. I get a run time error 1004 message. Can anyone help. My other problem is that I would like each pie chart to be copied to a new row on the other worksheet and be placed in one of 5 colums depending on what the sc...

CArchive error using << operator
Hey all, I'm running into a problem with using the << or >> operators when using cout, cin, or CArchive. It keeps telling me, in the most recent case: error C2678: binary '<<' : no operator defined which takes a left-hand operand of type 'class CArchive' (or there is no acceptable conversion). The offending line of code tries to write 1 item from a vector (*allfile) to the archive (*pArchive) like so... try { (*pArchive) << (*fit); } I ran into this same error when trying to use cout or cin. Is this a compiler problem, preprocessor probl...

How do I use the Outlook Address Book in Word 2007
Our company used to use Groupwise along with Word 2007. I could do individual envelopes using the address book on Groupwise. Now we have Outlook 2007 and my address book was migrated to Word. But when I try to do an individual envelope and click on the Outlook Address Book, it says there are no entries in the address book. Do I have to re-do all my addresses in Outlook? Or is there a way to access this address book? Do you have a choice to use the Outlook Contacts Folder? Try that instead if you do. Also, ensure your Outlook address Book Service is installed. -- Milly Stap...

Using meta-info or is it possible to extend the OneNote XML Schema
Hey, I'm working on an add-in that will sync "To Do"-tags with a CalDAV-Server, making them available on iPhones and Mozilla Thunderbird. Unfortunately OneNote is making this very hard for two reasons: 1. <Meta>-elements can't be childs of <Tag>-elements, so they wouldn't move with a <Tag>-element or be deleted if the user moves the <Tag> to another <Outline> or even <Folder>. That means that <Tag>-Elements are hard to identify uniquely, unless there's a good way to extend the OneNote XML-Schema (for exampl...

Want to know if there is a canned project summary format that I can use/customize #2
Hi Debra, Thanks for the tip. I found some very interesting templates there However, I didn't find any that suits my needs. I will continue t search for that -- ssaiba ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ssaibal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1493 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26567 ...

Using english and non-English Excel commands simultaneously in a non-English installation
Hi community, I like this forum very much - I got many valuable insights from it. In the past I had an English Excel installation at the office available, recently my employer moved to the German version and deinstalled the english one. Now, when i use a english command like =VLOOKUP(A1,'Sheet 2'! A1:H200,8,FALSE) adopting the country settings for "," with ";" Excel comes up with #NAME? since I used the english term, not the german one - but sometimes the german equivalent is not at hand as fast as needed ;-) However if a open a english coined workbook of a US/UK c...

Select name from drop down and return associated value
Hi I have a spreadsheet where I need to return a value which is an alphanumerical code but the users know only the name. Example: In worksheet A there are details of clients. If the clients participate in a course we are required to record the course code not the name. Column C is where I want the value to appear. What i would like to occur is that the user selects from a drop down list the name of the course but on selection the value returned is the course code. Is this possible? Debbie Are you saying that you want the user to select from a dropdown some course name, but you wan...

Can i use a formula in the excel chart wizard?
I am creating a coursework in which i have to analyse a lot of data in the spreadsheet. it is already cluttered with columns and i dont want to add extra columns to add to the clutter. i was wondering whether there is a way to plot absolute values of a column without changing the actual values in the column or creating a new column using ABS() function. Thanx You can't use formulas in the reference boxes in the chart wizard. You can only use range references or defined names. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ On 3...

how do i use my yahoo email with outlook?
i have attepmted to set up a pop account in outlook, but when sending an email it is having trouble recognizing the outgoing address On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:43:36 -0800, nichole123 <nichole123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i have attepmted to set up a pop account in outlook, but when sending an >email it is having trouble recognizing the outgoing address first, have you paid for a yahoo pop account? you can SEND e-mail from your yahoo e-mail address but you can't RECEIVE yahoo e-mail from that account without paying yahoo for that. second, the POP (inbound) server ...

using excel windows 98
i have a table of 100's of figures that are all in text, ie: 12 34 45 56 67 78 56 78 23 78 34 67 23 89 45 78 87 21 each number in it's own cell, but i have loads of them how can i get a decimal point in front of all of them, so they all show like this ..12 .34 .45 .56 .67 .78 ..56 .78 .23 .78 .34 .67 ..23 .89 .45 .78 .87 .21 i have looked in the cells settings and can not find a way myself, i have been told to check a box to default the decimal point, but this is when you have an empty sheet, not when you have already entered the figures. any ideas. thanks Jason One way .. ...

PowerShell Query Help, WMI, Select Statement
Here is where I have started: #Get Physical Memory function getwmiinfo ($svr) { gwmi -query "select * from Win32_PhysicalMemory" -computername $svr | select [$svr], DeviceLocator } $Servers = get-content -path "C:\test.txt" foreach($Servers in $Servers) { getwmiinfo $Servers } I get this: [risk] DeviceLocator ------ ------------- DIMM0 DIMM1 What I want is this: ServerName DeviceLocator ---------- ...

File being "used by another user"

Which to use FF (finish to finish) or FS (finish to start) on task
I have serveral different tasks (risk management, risk assessement, update risk assessment). I would like to link the Risk Assessment to the first task under it, then link the last task in the subgroup back to the risk assessment task, so it looks like it continues the whole time. So, for example, I have my task #5 risk assessment, task #6 define project tracking and task #26 vision approved. If you click on task #6, I have the #5 risk assessment as the Predecessor with a SS Type. If you click on task #26, I have task #5 risk assessment as the Predessessor with FF Type. ...

MSN Explorer using Money file on hard drive?
I am a computer consultant and was hired by a new client this past week to solve his Money issues. I am a little bewildered by what I have seen. Point by point... 1. He and said that things he entered were "not sticking". He is VERY elderly and not that savvy with PCs, so I took this with a grain of salt...BUT... 2. He is using MSN Explorer to manage his portfolio, so I thought it was all online. 3. Upon looking at his portfolio and then closing MSN Explorer, we got a message on the screen that his "file was being compressed". That sent up a big red flag to ...

restrict particular user using OWA
Is there any way i can restrict particular user from using the OWA whereas the rest of users remain accessible to the OWA? Thanks for any help provided "Eva" <eva@addon.com.sg> wrote in message news:c36001c4389c$f8ba7780$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way i can restrict particular user from using > the OWA whereas the rest of users remain accessible to the > OWA? > > Thanks for any help provided Which version of Exchange? All versions allow you to disable the HTTP protocol for individual mailboxes, but where you do it is in a different place for differe...

Combo Box
Hi, how can i make this code work in Combo Box (Activex Control) to populate data fields in excel? I got it to work in Combo Box (Form Control) but it will not work in Combo box (Activex control). thank you Here it's the code: Dim LINDEX As Integer Dim LAddress As String Dim LPhoneNbr As String Dim LRow As Long Dim LFound As Boolean 'Retrieve project number number LINDEX = Range("F30").Value 'Move to PAYABLES Sheets("PAYABLES").Select LFound = False LRow = 3 Do While LFound = False 'Found matching project, now upd...

display value in combo box
I populate a combox1.rowsource = value1. How do I display value1 in the combo box? I can see it in the dropdown, but how do I display it? Thanks. Kou Do you have it bound to a field in your table? -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "Kou Vang" wrote: > I populate a combox1.rowsource = value1. How do I display value1 in the > combo box? I can see it in the dropdown, but how do I display it? Thanks. > > Kou On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:19:02 -0800, Kou Vang wrote: > I populate a combox1.rowsource = value1. How do I display value1 in the > combo b...

Multiple table query displays only one record
I have a table the has information about grant applications. I have another table that has the names and addresses of the schools related to the applications. When I do a querry it either shows only one record or all of the information form one or the other depending on whetner I click 2 or 3 in the properties window. How do I get it to show all of the records from all of the columns that I have chosen from both tables? Elaine_Moore wrote: >I have a table the has information about grant applications. I have another >table that has the names and addresses of the schools related...

Multiple Profiles Using Terminal Server
Does anyone know if anything has changed around using multiple profiles with Terminal Server? Last time I checked you can only use CRM Outlook using the user that installed the Outlook Client. Is this still true? With CRM 4.0 this has changed. In fact, there were ways to configure it with 3.0 as well. But, 4.0 has a seperate "config" step for the client that makes this a lot easier. -- Matt Parks MVP - Dynamics CRM "Scottie" <Scottie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C0282BD-76B4-41E1-BD9D-6C24C6984FEB@microsoft.com... Does anyone know if ...