How do I add a record to a bound field on a subform?

Hi, i have a form, mostly with product info, and on it i have a subform with
buyer info. The subform tracks the main form ok (finally) but when i try to
enter new information into the subform i get this error message:

"control cant be edited; it's bound to the exression [Buyer_name]"

How the heck do you manage this?

Thanks for any direction,

Richard Stricker

0
Richard

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:02:23 -0700, "Richard Stricker" <clearpath@cox.net>
wrote:

>Hi, i have a form, mostly with product info, and on it i have a subform with
>buyer info. The subform tracks the main form ok (finally) but when i try to
>enter new information into the subform i get this error message:
>
>"control cant be edited; it's bound to the exression [Buyer_name]"
>
>How the heck do you manage this?

What is the Recordsource property of the subform?  Please post the SQL. And
what is the Control Source of the textbox? It sounds like Buyer_Name is a
calculated expression (perhaps a concatenation or a DLookUp???) rather than a
field in a table.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
6/13/2007 7:04:10 AM
Thanks for helping with this question. I am really tangled up on the
concepts.

I have a product table and a buyers table. They are related by buyer_name in
the buyers table and the buyer_ID in the product table.

The product table is the source for my main form. I want to include the
buyers name and email from the buyers table.

Using the wizard I was able to add a combo box that reflects the buyer for a
particular product. This tracks along as I hoped.

Here is the code for that combo:
control source  Buyer_ID
row source   SELECT [Buyers].[Buyer_ID], [Buyers].[Buyer_name] FROM Buyers;

Then I have another field for the buyer email (which is from the buyers
table). When I run the form I get a #Name? error in that field.

Here is the code for that field:  control source
=[Buyers]![Buyer_contact_email]

You can see I have restructured my original question because I realized I
have no clue about the concepts of combining data from more than one table
on a form.

Should the data from the second table be on subform (my original approach,
but because I wanted to make the form not visible until there was a buyer
for the product, not because I knew what I was doing).

Or should the data reference a query? or be on a subform based on a query
that blends the data?

Thanks for any clarity you can share. I am really confused at this point.
The idea of adding a new record to the buyers table from within the product
form can wait.

Richard

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:02:23 -0700, "Richard Stricker" <clearpath@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi, i have a form, mostly with product info, and on it i have a subform
>>with
>>buyer info. The subform tracks the main form ok (finally) but when i try
>>enter new information into the subform i get this error message:
>>
>>"control cant be edited; it's bound to the exression [Buyer_name]"
>>
>>How the heck do you manage this?
>
> What is the Recordsource property of the subform?  Please post the SQL.
> And
> what is the Control Source of the textbox? It sounds like Buyer_Name is a
> calculated expression (perhaps a concatenation or a DLookUp???) rather
> than a
> field in a table.
>
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
Richard

Message From Field in Folder
When viewing the list of my new messages, is there a way to see the email address of the sender instead of the alias before I open it? In the From column I see "John". When I open the email I see "John <john@johnsemail.com>". I want to see the "john@johnsemail.com" before I open it so I can tell the difference between emails from "Microsoft Support <yourfu@edifyouopenedthis.com>" and "Microsoft Support <someguywhosreally@microsoft.com>" I am currently using outlook 2002 and 2003 alternately based on my mood. Mike If you ...

modify fields
Hi - just started using CRM and have several questions. 1. How do I modify the COUNTRY field? I want a user to be able to type in the name of the country and return and display the 2-letter country abbreviation? Do I have to build a new table for that or can I modify the country field as it is now? 2. How do I apply or change field rules such as case- convert, etc. for either existing fields or fields I create? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me. Cheers Ruthie I think the existing country field is a simple text field. You cannot out any logic behind these fields. One op...

Error: "Updated 18040 global customer record(s) in store database"
At one store, when ever HQ Client processes a worksheet it also updates thousands of customer records every time, bogging down the system. The result is that SQL and HQ Client hog resourses to the point that requests from other registers time out and POS crashes, until the worksheet is done processing. This happened once a year ago but nobody can remember how we fixed it. Any thoughts? Thanks. Mark L According to the dealer manuals you should have HQ client on a separate PC. Not on the one with the MSDE running on it. Try moving it to a less busy machine. Or poll only after hours,...

How can I refresh the master form from a subform?
Hello. On the After Update of the subform I am trying to refresh the Master form. I have tried things like Docmd.requery and Me.Refresh, but not sure what I am doing. Can you help me with this? Thanks. Iram Iram wrote: >On the After Update of the subform I am trying to refresh the Master form. I >have tried things like Docmd.requery and Me.Refresh, but not sure what I am >doing. Try using: Parent.Requery -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] ...

Should be simple to add additional address book for outlook.
Ok this is a simple request that doesn't seem to work. Using the ESM (exchange 2003) SBS. Navigate to All Global Address lists. Right click and new Global Address List. Then I go to outlook client click new email. Click on the address book navigator link. In the available address books I only have global address list or the outlook contacts. How do you get the new Global address book to display ? On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:46:01 -0700, Conrad Gotzmann <ConradGotzmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Ok this is a simple request that doesn't seem to work. >Using the ESM (...

Remove records from lookup
Not sure if this is possible but I would like to remove all records except the account records from the look up records dropdown menu of the appointment entity. The associated schema is regardingobjectid and the label is regarding. I see the other entities listed under relationships but there is no option to delete. Is there a way to create a new lookup and have it added to my appointment form? Thanks. There is no supported way to change this. The system is setup to allow you to set appointments that are related to specific records (Opportunities, Quotes, Cases, etc) and it will then ro...

Outlook 2003 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup uninstall problem
Hello techie nerds out there Help! I am trying to uninstall this utility to reinstall it on another desktop on the same machine. It seems you can only run this utility on one desktop? Running windows XP pro and Outlook 2002 The programme does not show up in the Add/Remove programme window in the Control Panel. Many, many thanks Paul Paul Allen <ict@wandsworthvb.org.uk> wrote: > I am trying to uninstall this utility to reinstall it on > another desktop on the same machine. It seems you can only > run this utility on one desktop? Doesn't seem to be the case here. ...

enter value based on drop down list of another field?
I have an excel 2003 spreadsheet with 3 worksheets. In sheet 1, I created a drop down list in column A based on values in sheet 3, column A (item number). Thisd data comes from sheet 3, where I have column A (Item #'s), column B (Item desc)an Column C (price) In column B of sheet 1, I have Item Descriptions and in column C I have price. I want this to automatically fill in based on what I enter in the column A sheet 1 and it should get the corresponding values from sheet 3 column B and C. I can make the drop down list in sheet 1 column B and C, but some of the descriptions need ...

Add contacts to Global
I am a parent trying to get our elementary school up to date. I want to add all the students in the school's CONTACTS (address, phone, email address, etc). They do use Exchange as I saw GLOBAL as an option at one of the teacher's pc. The principal would like me to do this. They outsource their computer technical work, so I am thinking I would need administrative access to add contacts to the global contacts, correct? Since I'm not a network person, but I do know a lot about Outlook, I need to know EXACTLY how to accomplish this and what info I need to find out from the...

Restrickting from field
Hi, When you create new email, you can click option and tick FROM field. It will be add FROM field and you can use address book to pick up any name. Are their any options or policy to restrict this function? Thanks Using Exchange server? This should not be possible by default - someone has changed the permissions. What version of Exchange? Follow the KB 262054 to see where permissions might be set - and remove groups that shouldn't be there. wschoi wrote: > Hi, > > When you create new email, you can click option and tick > FROM field. > > It will be add FROM f...

Add a nwe mail folder with new email address
I want to add a new folder within the mail area in Outlook 2003. opened up an additional email account with my IP and want that email t go to a seperate main folder in outlook. Under All Mail Folders I'v got Personal Folders and Hotmail as root folders in the area. I wan to add another root folder for my new email only. Thank you, Crai ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Apart from special accounts like HTTP and IMAP when you collect POP3 then all mess...

Excel 2007. How do I get un-installed add-ins off the toolbar?
I have 2 Large Icons on the ribbon/toolbar of Excel 2007. These are Omnipage and s-force. Both of these have been uninstalled and I have de-activated both add-ins. How do I get these off the toolbar forever? thanks ...

Automatic Data Entry Script OnChange Event for Date Field.
Hi, Sub: Automatic Data Entry Script OnChange Event for Date Field. has anyone assigned 'Today date'( new Date()) to a custom date filed on the form - OnChange of a Picklist field, I have the following code. DatefiledName.value = new Date(); This assigns, currect date to the field, but then when I save it does not like it. When I manually assign a date it displays in the format mm/dd/yyyy, and saves correctly, so I changed the script to: d= new Date(); s = d.(getMonth() +1); s += '/' + d.getDate(); s += '/' + d.getFullYear(); DatefiledName.value = s; This also acc...

How do I add an indicator line to a Gantt chart in excel?
I have created a Gantt chart in Excel. I would like to indicate a specific date - most of the time today's date - by a vertical line showing how many days have passed and how many yet to go for specific tasks. I have attempted to create an 'XY graph' on top of the bar/Gantt chart, but the two do not seem to be compatible. Hi, See my examples of various ways of adding a datum line to a chart. I'm pretty sure one of the techniques should work for you. http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Steve wrote: > I have created a Gantt chart in Excel. I...

Data missing from enterprise custom task fields after migrating
We can see the enterprise task fields, but none of the data is displayed in files migrated from Project Server 2003 to 2007. Any ideas? -- michael Michael: What process did you follow for migration? -- Gary L. Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCTIP Business: http://www.msprojectexperts.com FAQs: http://www.projectserverexperts.com BLOG: http://www.projectserverhelp.com "michaelj" <notreallyme.com> wrote in message news:4BD612D9-D1AD-4FF8-B103-699AB1B54D06@microsoft.com... > We can see the enterprise task fields, but none of the data is displayed > in > fil...

How to add another target to VidPN in WDDM driver?
Thanks all for the replies before and I'd like to ask few more questions related to VidPN management of WDDM driver. When WDDM miniport driver enumeratse child devices and connected external monitors, it first detects its all child devices in DxgkDdiQueryChildRelations, and next check each child actually has connected output in DxgkDdiQueryChildStatus. So, to implement adding another(virtual) monitor I faked one of given PDXGK_CHILD_STATUS parameter(HotPlug.Connected) to have true. And I filled up followed EDID query requests as well. Then I could see another monitor attached ...

ACCESS 2000 is deleting records
Just yesterday I converted an Access 97 database to Access 2000. Have a large problem I need help with. After converting the DB I "split it" in order to use it as a backend, same way it was in Access97. After converting the database to Access2k we began to have a problem with Access2k deleting records. it deleted a total of 4 out of 62 records. the records are not together ( record #289365 then 289048 then 289128 then 289178 then this morning 289405) these record are auto-numbered incerement of one. They were entered by different people so I know its not just an operator probl...

Add items to SupplierList
I just imported a new catalog of items to our database using EMS import, were newly insterted and some were updated. The problem I'm having is getting the supplier cost to update for the items that were in already and adding the new items to the supplierlist table. I imported the SupplierID to the Item table just can't figure out the query to go the other way updating and adding new. Any help would be great. You need to use T-SQL in the management studio. Use an InnerJoin of the supplier id to the item id and set the cost to = supplier cost if it is the most recent. "Do...

Customized picklist fields are not showing up in the preview
hi, can you please help me out in the following situation: i have customized my crm 1.2 system in a huge manner. now all customized picklists do not show up in the preview of e.g. opportunity. opening such a related opportunity offers me the possibility to change the picklist field as wanted. note: all built-in picklist fields are showing up in the preview... tia -- Fritz Theiss Did you publish the customizations? And performed an IISReset? After those actions your changes should be visible. Hope this helps, -- Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands "Fritz" wrote: > hi,...

Client Support Module / add-in for CRM 3.0?
We are a software company, and we just implemented CRM 3.0 for the sales staff. We are still using Lotus Notes for our support staff, and were curious if there is a module that we could get for CRM to be able to handle the Support staff as well? This would need to be able to handle creating support tickets, allowing for updating, and cut and paste of screen shots. If anyone is familiar with something in this line, please let me know... I would love to decommission Lotus Notes in the very near future. Thanks ...

Removing the : in the coment field
When I insert a comment to a field a colon appears. I know this is meant for the user name to appear but I don't want that. In fact, I don't want the colon to appear. Currently I manually delete it from each comment I insert...is there a way to turn that feature off so I merely type in text without having that colon appear?...I am using Excel 2000 Thanks! Kathy You can use programming to insert comments with no user name. There is sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html Kathy wrote: > When I insert a comment to a field a colon appears. I know...

Does not add up properly
Hi I have a spreadsheet with app 800 names sorted in alphabetical order. To the right of the names I have a few col on numbers. At the bottom of each col I have a calculated total for that col(i.e. @SUM (c2...c800) From time to time I have to add new names. I usually type in the names below the 800 line and then do a sort on the names. At this stage the name is inserted in the proper place BUT MY COL TOTAL are no longer accurate. The formula at the bottom now read(as an example) @sum(c12...c800) How can I stop this from happening. Thanks -- Norton Professional 2004 says this email is clea...

Add numbers accross columns after stripping away text
I have the following data in a spreadsheet: A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 4.5f 6f 3.5f 3f 7.25f I need to be able to add the numbers together to give me 24.25, i.e. strip the fs away. The numbers will always be less than 10 and the there will only ever be .25 or.5 or .75 after the number (I don't know whether that is significant?). If anyone can show me how to do this I would be very grateful. I have been messing around with MID and FIND to no avail and then started thinking that SUMPRODUCT might have to get involved but it all got a bit m...

Add cell value with mouse click
I want to create a counter, so that every time I click in a certain cell it takes the existing number and adds "1" to it. Is there any way to do this? I'm compiling statistical information, and need to get cumulative counts in various categories as I sort through the data. Hi! Maybe you can use a spinner button for this. Right click any toolbar then select Forms. Click on the spinner button ( it looks like an up arrow on top of a down arrow). Place it near the cell you want increment. Once you have it placed and sized right click on it and select Format Control. Fill in ...

Calculating Date Fields
I have a document that is filled with FormFields and users go from field to field filling the fields for a final document. I have been reading up on 'calculated dates' but have not seen a scenario like this. Three of my formfields are "Date1", "Date2" and "Date180." What I am trying to figure out is how to evaluate/compare Date1 and Date2 to see which is the earliest and then provide in Date180 the date 180 days from the earliest date. (Unless the form is blank there will always be a Date1, but there may not be a Date2 and if Date2 exist...