How can I get a combo box to get data based on a text box?

Hi,

I have a text box that looks up an ID number from a table.  I want the
User to type in an ID and then have a combo box on the same form that
gives a list of dates that correspond to that ID in the text box.
Right now, the combo box displays all the dates from all the ID's.  I
want it to only show the dates that are linked to that ID.

Please help,

Thanks

0
tyler

Use the text box's AfterUpdate event to modify the combo box's RowSource
property:

Me.ComboBox1.RowSource = "SELECT ... FROM ... WHERE FieldID=" & Me.TextID &
";"

tyler.deutsch@gmail.com wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a text box that looks up an ID number from a table.  I want the
>User to type in an ID and then have a combo box on the same form that
>gives a list of dates that correspond to that ID in the text box.
>Right now, the combo box displays all the dates from all the ID's.  I
>want it to only show the dates that are linked to that ID.
>
>Please help,
>
>Thanks

kingston
7/5/2007 8:09:32 PM
On Jul 5, 4:09 pm, "kingston via AccessMonster.com" <u27511@uwe>
wrote:
> Use the text box's AfterUpdate event to modify the combo box's RowSource
> property:
>
> Me.ComboBox1.RowSource = "SELECT ... FROM ... WHERE FieldID=" & Me.TextID &
> ";"
>
> tyler.deut...@gmail.com wrote:
> >Hi,
>
> >I have a text box that looks up an ID number from a table.  I want the
> >User to type in an ID and then have a combo box on the same form that
> >gives a list of dates that correspond to that ID in the text box.
> >Right now, the combo box displays all the dates from all the ID's.  I
> >want it to only show the dates that are linked to that ID.
>
> >Please help,
>
> >Thanks

Ok...

I am still confused.  Do I type that whole coding into the after
update of the text box?  Which parts of the coding need to be changed
according to my form's actual names?

Lastly about the  "Select...From..." part of the above code...  Should
that be selecting from the text box's data or from the combo box's
data?

Thanks

0
tyler
7/9/2007 1:01:59 PM
Open the form in design mode and look in the combo box's Properties window
for it's Row Source.  That should give you a good start.  All you're doing is
programmatically modifying that SQL statement by adding a WHERE clause that
refers to the input text box.

Open the form in design mode and the text box's Properties window.  Go to the
Event tab and in the After Update line, select [Event Procedure].  Click the .
.. button at the end of the line and a VB editor should open.  Type the code
I presented before and modify ComboBox1, the SELECT statement, and TextID.
This assumes that the ID field contains numbers, not text.

tyler.deutsch@gmail.com wrote:
>On Jul 5, 4:09 pm, "kingston via AccessMonster.com" <u27511@uwe>
>wrote:
>> Use the text box's AfterUpdate event to modify the combo box's RowSource
>> property:
>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
>> --
>
>Ok...
>
>I am still confused.  Do I type that whole coding into the after
>update of the text box?  Which parts of the coding need to be changed
>according to my form's actual names?
>
>Lastly about the  "Select...From..." part of the above code...  Should
>that be selecting from the text box's data or from the combo box's
>data?
>
>Thanks

kingston
7/9/2007 1:39:34 PM
On Jul 9, 9:39 am, "kingston via AccessMonster.com" <u27511@uwe>
wrote:
> Open the form in design mode and look in the combo box's Properties window
> for it's Row Source.  That should give you a good start.  All you're doing is
> programmatically modifying that SQL statement by adding a WHERE clause that
> refers to the input text box.
>
> Open the form in design mode and the text box's Properties window.  Go to the
> Event tab and in the After Update line, select [Event Procedure].  Click the .
> . button at the end of the line and a VB editor should open.  Type the code
> I presented before and modify ComboBox1, the SELECT statement, and TextID.
> This assumes that the ID field contains numbers, not text.
>

> tyler.deut...@gmail.com wrote:
> >On Jul 5, 4:09 pm, "kingston via AccessMonster.com" <u27511@uwe>
> >wrote:
> >> Use the text box's AfterUpdate event to modify the combo box's RowSource
> >> property:
> >[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
> >> --
>
> >Ok...
>
> >I am still confused.  Do I type that whole coding into the after
> >update of the text box?  Which parts of the coding need to be changed
> >according to my form's actual names?
>
> >Lastly about the  "Select...From..." part of the above code...  Should
> >that be selecting from the text box's data or from the combo box's
> >data?
>
> >Thanks

In my Textbox VB code I have the following:

Private Sub Part_AfterUpdate()

Me.Date.RowSource = "SELECT [Rateset APS].[RATE_SETUP_DATE] FROM
[Rateset APS]"

WHERE FieldID = " & Me.Part & "
";"

End Sub

In my ComboBox I have the following in the "RowSource"

SELECT [Rateset APS].[RATE_SETUP_DATE] FROM [Rateset APS];

"Part" is the name of my textbox and "Date" is the name of my
combobox.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

0
tyler
7/9/2007 5:12:49 PM
Watch your line breaks and use of quotation marks.  The following should be
contained in a single line unless you use a line continuation marker.

Me.Date.RowSource = "SELECT [Rateset APS].[RATE_SETUP_DATE] FROM [Rateset APS]
WHERE FieldID = " & Me.Part & ";"

tyler.deutsch@gmail.com wrote:
>On Jul 9, 9:39 am, "kingston via AccessMonster.com" <u27511@uwe>
>wrote:
>> Open the form in design mode and look in the combo box's Properties window
>> for it's Row Source.  That should give you a good start.  All you're doing is
>[quoted text clipped - 32 lines]

>In my Textbox VB code I have the following:
>
>Private Sub Part_AfterUpdate()
>
>Me.Date.RowSource = "SELECT [Rateset APS].[RATE_SETUP_DATE] FROM
>[Rateset APS]"
>
>WHERE FieldID = " & Me.Part & "
>";"
>
>End Sub
>
>In my ComboBox I have the following in the "RowSource"
>
>SELECT [Rateset APS].[RATE_SETUP_DATE] FROM [Rateset APS];
>
>"Part" is the name of my textbox and "Date" is the name of my
>combobox.
>
>What am I doing wrong?
>
>Thanks

kingston
7/9/2007 8:44:40 PM
Ok,

I put your previous coding exactly as you had it into the text box VB
code of the "after update" function.  An error message came back
saying. "Access cannot find the macro,'Me' "  or "invalid syntax."
What do you think I'm doing wrong and what should I enter into the
rowsource area of the combobox?

Thanks

0
tyler
7/10/2007 11:33:17 AM
What version of Access are you using?  Avoid field and control names such as
Date.  In the VB editor, go to Debug -> Compile...  Does it show you exactly
where the error is?  Try putting a debug stop on the line and running the
code.  When you type Me. in the editor, do both Date and Part appear in the
Intellisense list that automatically appears?  If not, your control names may
not be Date and Part.  Is FieldID a numeric field?  If not, add single quotes
around the parameter.  Are FieldID and Part of the same data type?  The
technique works, but it's hard for me to pinpoint what's wrong in your case.
The actual error might be somewhere else entirely.  So be very specific about
what you're doing and what error messages appear.

tyler.deutsch@gmail.com wrote:
>Ok,
>
>I put your previous coding exactly as you had it into the text box VB
>code of the "after update" function.  An error message came back
>saying. "Access cannot find the macro,'Me' "  or "invalid syntax."
>What do you think I'm doing wrong and what should I enter into the
>rowsource area of the combobox?
>
>Thanks

kingston
7/10/2007 1:36:40 PM
Ok.

What I am trying to accomplish is to type in a part # into a text box
then choose a date from a combo box.  Both the text box and combo box
are pulling from the same table [Rateset APS].  "Part" is the name of
the text box and "Date" is the name of the combo box.  Both are
pulling numbers and not letters.  I am using Access 2000.

Here is what the After Update code in "Part"

Private Sub Part_AfterUpdate()

Me.Date.RowSource = "SELECT [Rateset APS].[RATE_SETUP_DATE] FROM
[Rateset APS]" WHERE FieldID = " & Me.Part & ";"

End Sub

Here is what the RowSource says in the "Date" box

SELECT [Rateset APS].[RATE_SETUP_DATE] FROM [Rateset APS];

Does that help explain what I am trying to do?

0
tyler
7/10/2007 2:18:02 PM
Watch your quotation marks:

Me.Date.RowSource = "SELECT [Rateset APS].[RATE_SETUP_DATE] FROM [Rateset APS]
WHERE FieldID = " & Me.Part & ";"

You have an extra quotation mark before WHERE.

tyler.deutsch@gmail.com wrote:
>Ok.
>
>What I am trying to accomplish is to type in a part # into a text box
>then choose a date from a combo box.  Both the text box and combo box
>are pulling from the same table [Rateset APS].  "Part" is the name of
>the text box and "Date" is the name of the combo box.  Both are
>pulling numbers and not letters.  I am using Access 2000.
>
>Here is what the After Update code in "Part"
>
>Private Sub Part_AfterUpdate()
>
>Me.Date.RowSource = "SELECT [Rateset APS].[RATE_SETUP_DATE] FROM
>[Rateset APS]" WHERE FieldID = " & Me.Part & ";"
>
>End Sub
>
>Here is what the RowSource says in the "Date" box
>
>SELECT [Rateset APS].[RATE_SETUP_DATE] FROM [Rateset APS];
>
>Does that help explain what I am trying to do?

kingston
7/10/2007 3:18:54 PM
Ok,

I entered in this part # "2061M60G27" into the text box

then i clicked the combo box and this came back:

syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'FieldID =
2061M60G27'.

Any ideas?

0
tyler
7/10/2007 4:55:56 PM
2061M60G27 is not a number.  Are you sure FieldID is numeric?  If it is not,
then you can qualify the input with single quotation marks:

... FieldID = '" & Me.Part & "';"

tyler.deutsch@gmail.com wrote:
>Ok,
>
>I entered in this part # "2061M60G27" into the text box
>
>then i clicked the combo box and this came back:
>
>syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'FieldID =
>2061M60G27'.
>
>Any ideas?

kingston
7/10/2007 4:59:00 PM
Ok,

My FieldID is not numeric, sorry about that.  It is a series of
numbers and letters.

I put single quotes in like you said, entered the part # in, then
click on the combo box to choose a date and then a prompt came up
asking for a parameter value for the FieldID.  Its not suppose to do
this right?  What do you think the issue is now?

0
tyler
7/10/2007 5:10:35 PM
Is FieldID a field within the table [Rateset APS]?

tyler.deutsch@gmail.com wrote:
>Ok,
>
>My FieldID is not numeric, sorry about that.  It is a series of
>numbers and letters.
>
>I put single quotes in like you said, entered the part # in, then
>click on the combo box to choose a date and then a prompt came up
>asking for a parameter value for the FieldID.  Its not suppose to do
>this right?  What do you think the issue is now?

kingston
7/10/2007 7:39:40 PM
The name of the field in [Rateset APS] that the part number is coming
from is called "Item_Name"

In the coding I changed "FieldID" to [Rateset APS].[Item_Name]
but still did not work.   Is that what I was suppose to do?

0
tyler
7/11/2007 12:01:12 PM
Yes, that's what you were supposed to do.  Again, when posting in these
forums, be very specific about what doesn't work.  Do you get an error
message?  If so what is it?  Otherwise, does it not work because it doesn't
return the values you think it should return or is the combobox not getting
updated at all?  In any event, the following will work provided you replace
the field and control names with your data and you use the correct syntax:

Me.Date.RowSource = "SELECT [Rateset APS].[RATE_SETUP_DATE] FROM [Rateset APS]

WHERE [Rateset APS].[Item_Name] = '" & Me.Part & "';"

tyler.deutsch@gmail.com wrote:
>The name of the field in [Rateset APS] that the part number is coming
>from is called "Item_Name"
>
>In the coding I changed "FieldID" to [Rateset APS].[Item_Name]
>but still did not work.   Is that what I was suppose to do?

kingston
7/11/2007 1:28:47 PM
Sorry, yes I admit, this is my first time to post on this forum so
thank you for your patience.

Ok it worked!

One last issue...   when I push the button to pull down the combo box,
it gives multiple entries for the same date.   Lets say a part had 2
different dates, 10/03/2007  and   11/08/2007
The combo box would read like this:
10/03/2007
10/03/2007
10/03/2007
10/03/2007
10/03/2007
10/03/2007
11/08/2007
11/08/2007
11/08/2007
11/08/2007
11/08/2007

Then when I click on one of the dates it gives all the 10/03/2007
entries.  In this case it would be 6 entries.  How can I make it so
the combo box only shows one "10/03/2007" instead of 6 and still pops
out 6 when I run the query?

0
tyler
7/11/2007 5:08:15 PM
Change SELECT ... to SELECT DISTINCT ...

tyler.deutsch@gmail.com wrote:
>Sorry, yes I admit, this is my first time to post on this forum so
>thank you for your patience.
>
>Ok it worked!
>
>One last issue...   when I push the button to pull down the combo box,
>it gives multiple entries for the same date.   Lets say a part had 2
>different dates, 10/03/2007  and   11/08/2007
>The combo box would read like this:
>10/03/2007
>10/03/2007
>10/03/2007
>10/03/2007
>10/03/2007
>10/03/2007
>11/08/2007
>11/08/2007
>11/08/2007
>11/08/2007
>11/08/2007
>
>Then when I click on one of the dates it gives all the 10/03/2007
>entries.  In this case it would be 6 entries.  How can I make it so
>the combo box only shows one "10/03/2007" instead of 6 and still pops
>out 6 when I run the query?

kingston
7/11/2007 5:35:18 PM
That helped! thanks!

Do you know how I can make the form pop up when someone opens Access
and then lock it so that only the form is showing and only I can
update the database?

0
tyler

Combo Box on Form
I have a combo box on my form created from the Combo Box wizard in design view. It worked great this morning. Now it has reverted to the old problems I had in the beginning. The combo box for some reason will pull and change existing records. I then went and cleared the table and now it won't let me input any information. I know there has to be a simple fix to this.... what am i doing wrong?? Do you have any code attached to the combo box events? Take a look at the event properties. -- Dorian "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and th...

data input in text box

MS Money 95 data files

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

can't customize toolbar

make subreport2 visible based on condition
Help, I am running Access 2003 and have trouble getting this work right. I have an unbound subreport that contains 3 additional subreports. I want only one of the 3 to be visible based on the value in a combo box on a selection form. I can't seem to get the reference right and have tried several variations. If Forms!frmWeeklyGLrpt!cboCC = 1 Then Me!subrptGLWeekly.Report!subrptGLWeeklyCMRDA.Visible = True Me!subrptGLWeekly.Report!subrptGLWeeklyCMRDB.Visible = False Me!subrptGLWeekly.Report!subrptGLWeeklyCMRDC.Visible = False End If If Forms!frmWeeklyGL...

Sorting Data #5

"Save" preferences getting lost
List members: I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently. Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a default of thirty minutes. I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. - Mark Pavlick Hi Mark: That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the preference file. With the help of your System...

formula based on format

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

Can anyone help ?