How can I Enable a Check Box based on another fields value?

Hi There,

I have a form with a disabled check box.  I need to enable it when a certain
value ("approved") is selected from a combo box.

When I am in Form Design View and I have the Check Box selected the
Conditional Formatting menu item on the Format menu is greyed out.

I am using Access 2003.

Can you tell me what I need to do to make this work?

Many thanks,

David

0
David

As you've discovered, Conditional Formatting isn't availabe to checkboxes.

Try this:

Private Sub Form_Current()
If Me.YourComboBox = "Approved" Then
 YourCheckBox.Enabled = True
Else
 YourCheckBox.Enabled = False
End If
End Sub

Private Sub YourComboBox_AfterUpdate()
If Me.YourComboBox = "Approved" Then
 YourCheckBox.Enabled = True
Else
 YourCheckBox = 0 ' If "Approval" is rescinded unchecks
 YourCheckBox.Enabled = False
End If
End Sub

The line

YourCheckBox = 0

was placed under the assumption that if "approved" was selected and the
checkbox enabled, then checked, and the "approved" status was found to be
incorrect, you would also want the checkbox unchecked. IF this is incorrect
for your needs, simply delete this line.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
2/21/2008 4:11:46 AM
Hi Again,

I managed to find a partial solution:

From: "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce_IF@msn.com-DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END>
Subject: Re: Enable or Disable Checkbox with expression builder
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 06:57:00 -0800

Accordingly to solve my problem I disabled my Checkbox by default.  I then
created an Event Procedure for the On Change Event of my Combo Box using the
following code:

Private Sub ComboBox_Change()

If Me!Status = "Approved" Then

Me!CheckBox.Enabled = (Me!Status = "Approved")

Else

Me!CheckBox.Enabled = False

End If

End Sub

This means that my Check Box is only Active when the ComboBox value =
"Approved".

Hope this helps...

David

"David Saywell" <saywell@mcmedia.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi There,
>
> I have a form with a disabled check box.  I need to enable it when a
> certain value ("approved") is selected from a combo box.
>
> When I am in Form Design View and I have the Check Box selected the
> Conditional Formatting menu item on the Format menu is greyed out.
>
> I am using Access 2003.
>
> Can you tell me what I need to do to make this work?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> David

0
David
2/21/2008 4:37:31 AM
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:33:17 +1100, David Saywell wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I have a form with a disabled check box.  I need to enable it when a certain
> value ("approved") is selected from a combo box.
>
> When I am in Form Design View and I have the Check Box selected the
> Conditional Formatting menu item on the Format menu is greyed out.
>
> I am using Access 2003.
>
> Can you tell me what I need to do to make this work?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> David

This has nothing to do with Formatting.
Code the Combo Box AfterUpdate event:
Me![CheckBoxName].Enabled = Me![ComboName] = "Approved"

Place the same code in the form's Current event.
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.

visual basic

forward to: field
Hi Everyone, im looking for the AD attribute in which the 'forward to:' field of the delivery options is stored. Thank you in advance kind regards marc -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ Its in the altRecipient attribute. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Marc Wenger" <haga(at).iesg--nspm-noa9h.gmx.ch> wrote in message news:opr64hs7z6fyi4rt@news.microsoft.com... > Hi Everyone, > > im looking for the AD attribute in which the 'forward to:' field of ...

can i download lxce serv.exe

IsOutLookClient() returns wrong value

Getting the BCC field by default.

how many receivers i can add

Customer check data

Adding a combo box to a worksheet

Can't configure Outlook Express

Sizing drop down validation box
I have a form with lots of drop down validation boxes, many of them are Yes,No,N/A or Pass,Fail,N/A so one a narrow box is required but all the drop downs are about three inches wide. Once I accidentally go them to the right size and saved the file, closed it, then re-opened and the drop downs were really wide again. Does anyone know have to set the width, I always thought they were the same width as the cell they pop from but not the case. Wayman Those extra wide dropdown lists appear occasionally, usually if cells on the worksheet have been merged (not necessarily the cell with t...