Hide Duplicate Fields on Forms

I'd like to be able to suppress the display of repeating values on a form.
It's simple enough on reports, but can I achieve the same effect on a form
with Default View = Continuous Forms --- and how to do I it?

In Excel, I usually take advantage of conditional formatting for this kind
of thing, but it seems to work differently in Access

Thanks,
Bill

Hi,
the way to do this is to change the recordsource of your form to exclude the
duplicates from showing. If your the recordsource is a query, try using
SELECT DISTINCT instead of just SELECT in the SQL view of the query.

Jeanette Cunningham

"WillW" <WillW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to be able to suppress the display of repeating values on a form.
> It's simple enough on reports, but can I achieve the same effect on a form
> with Default View = Continuous Forms --- and how to do I it?
>
> In Excel, I usually take advantage of conditional formatting for this kind
> of thing, but it seems to work differently in Access
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

0
Jeanette
12/21/2007 10:46:18 PM
Thanks Jeanette -- I use DISTINCT, but if my query returns a number of
fields, there are often repeating values in a subset of the returned fields.
These are the ones I'd like to suppress in their display on a form (as you
can easily do in an Access report).

"Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:

> Hi,
> the way to do this is to change the recordsource of your form to exclude the
> duplicates from showing. If your the recordsource is a query, try using
> SELECT DISTINCT instead of just SELECT in the SQL view of the query.
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>
> "WillW" <WillW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'd like to be able to suppress the display of repeating values on a form.
> > It's simple enough on reports, but can I achieve the same effect on a form
> > with Default View = Continuous Forms --- and how to do I it?
> >
> > In Excel, I usually take advantage of conditional formatting for this kind
> > of thing, but it seems to work differently in Access
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bill

Will,
Access reports are a great feature.
As far as I know, you can't do this on a form unless you use subforms. You
may need a series of subforms.

> Thanks Jeanette -- I use DISTINCT, but if my query returns a number of
> fields, there are often repeating values in a subset of the returned
> fields.
> These are the ones I'd like to suppress in their display on a form (as you
> can easily do in an Access report).
>
> "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> the way to do this is to change the recordsource of your form to exclude
>> the
>> duplicates from showing. If your the recordsource is a query, try using
>> SELECT DISTINCT instead of just SELECT in the SQL view of the query.
>>
>> Jeanette Cunningham
>>
>> "WillW" <WillW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'd like to be able to suppress the display of repeating values on a
>> > form.
>> > It's simple enough on reports, but can I achieve the same effect on a
>> > form
>> > with Default View = Continuous Forms --- and how to do I it?
>> >
>> > In Excel, I usually take advantage of conditional formatting for this
>> > kind
>> > of thing, but it seems to work differently in Access
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Bill

0
Jeanette

email duplicating
Hi Pals, In the personal folders that i've created for my friends boss etc, every mail that i receive gets duplicated multiple times. can anyone suggest a way out plz... Nikhil Deodikar wrote: > Hi Pals, > In the personal folders that i've created for my friends boss etc, every > mail that i receive gets duplicated multiple times. can anyone suggest a way > out plz... What does "my friends boss etc" actually mean? You indicate that you did something for a "friend" or your "friend's boss" or someone else yet then you c...

Lookup Function in user form
I have a combo box (cboitem1) and a text box (txtprice1). I am using the code below to have txtprice1 fill with the corresponding price the worksheet: Private Sub Cboitem1_Change() If cboItem1 <> "" Then txtprice1.Value = Excel.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(cboItem1.Value, Sheets("Pizzas").Range("A1:B65536"), 2, False) End If End Sub It works perfectly when you enter an existing value in cboitem1. However if 'the user' accidently types a letter that is not the first letter of one of the existing items VB debugging pops up with error &qu...

Hide columns according to background fill color
I am having trouble understanding how Excel handles colors. I have a public sub that sets a public variable, "TermColor" using the RGB function. TermColor is of type MsoRGBType. In another module, I use the TermColor variable as follows: Sub WeedColsByColor(ByRef Clr, ByRef WS) Dim LastCol, i As Long With Worksheets(WS) LastCol = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Row - 1 + ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count 'hide columns if they have one of the forbidden colors Debug.Print (CBool(.Cells(2, i).Interior.Color = Clr)) ...

How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange 2003 ?
How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange 2003 ? (make BCC field unvalible) In news:u6NrOZiyFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl, RikS <riks.tw@yahoo.com.tw> typed: > How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange > 2003 ? (make BCC field unvalible) Don't know how you'd do this offhand, but I wouldn't. If users are misusing BCC, educate them, and make this an HR issue. It really isn't a technical one. HI Riks go to new mail over there on toolbar u will be getting option in that opti...

Which Controls to Build a Parent/Child Web Form
Hi there, I'm quite new to asp.net, but know exactly how to do this using classic ASP, but would like some pointers for aspnet2. I've got data being returned from an SP which looks like this: HeaderItem ChildItem A A1 A A2 A A3 B B1 etc I want to display the data like this A - This is the header record A1 A2 A3 B - Header 2 B1 etc. In classic ASP I'd write out my header row html when HeaderItem changes value and then write the Child Rows. As I've on...

writing calculated fields
I am trying to avoid starting a Crystal report from scratch, please help me! I need to use the equivalent of the "If, Then, Else" formula in Crystal reports in Report Writer. I need my PO in report writer to: if {IV00101.UOMSCHDL}="xxxxx" then (PO ordered QTY * 30) else if {IV00101.UOMSCHDL}="xxxxx" then (PO ordered QTY * 40) else PO ordered QTY I can only place PO's to the vendor in eaches but I am entering the PO into GP in cases. I have the PO processing side setup correctly, I just need the PO to print now. Thank you! -- CK Create two new calculate...

Cannot hide cells

Could very much use a Field List
I apologize if this is out there already, but it seems that at least a few field names changed from 1.2 to 1.3. Although I had downloaded a field list before, from here, I cannot even find that original post, let alone any more recent that might contain the correct field names. I need to do some custom SQL and would prefer not to reinvent the wheel. Thanks in advance very much to anyone who could help. Bud Izen Salem Oregon Do you have MS Access? Make a new project and attach to the database as your data source. You will be able to see all the tables and the field names. It has been ...

addressing envelope from data input form
I don't know where to start to try this. I have the following fields that make up the entire address: Fname Lname Fname2 Lname 2 Address City, State Zip Is there any way to "push a button" on a form and have it print an envelope for that record? Thanks in advance for any help. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Have you thought of using an MS template as a starting point? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101172481033.aspx Dave Eliot wrote: >I don't know where to start to try this. > >I have the following fields ...

Viewing xml created in .Net in a ASP form VB6
I have been trying to create an xml document in VB.Net for displaying on an existing page written in ASP. im having a type mismatch error in my code. When i view my XML i have the following included in the <binary> node. <Binary xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes" dt:dt="bin.base64">DATA HERE </Binary My issue is how do i set the datatype of the the node using dotnet so that i can replicate the same node structure and use my existing ASP page. thanks in advance Colin Graham ...

Hide text box
I am trying to hide a text box on a subform if a check box is = to false. I am close in doing so, but not there yet. This is what I have In the AfterUpdate property of the check box I have the following: Private Sub RevisedGrant_AfterUpdate() If Me![RevisedGrant] = True Then If MsgBox("Are you sure you want to revise this grant?", vbYesNo) = vbNo Then Me![RevisedGrant] = False MsgBox "Grant will NOT be revised", vbOKOnly Forms![DataEntryFrm]![ItemSubFrm]![Total$ofItemsRequestedSubfrm].Form![Revised Total Approved].Visibl...

How can i null out a field going through CRM Update object
I have a custom field that i want to set back to null. Any ideas how i can do this through the object.update function? thanks ...

Creating a form or template
We scanned in an image of a post it note that has graphics on it. It is a jpg file. Can we somehow make this jpg file a form or template in Outlook? Ideally, we want to pull up a form that looks like the image of a post it note with the graphics in tact and be able to compose a message on the email post it note. How do you accomplish this? Thanks! ...

Adding BMPs to a form
I use Access 2003. I have a table set up with a field for pictures, this table sits behind a form to add BMPs, which display on the form and print on reports. In the past, when I have had to reinstall Access for any reason, the pictures instead of displaying fully in the form, only show as thumbnails with the file name. I have in the past resoved this by removing Microsoft Picture manager from MS Office. I don't know how I figured that out or why it works but it does. However, I had to reinstall Office yesterday, removed MS Pictrue Manager as usual and it's NOT working ...

Removing gray shading in protected forms (drop down box)
Hello- I am creating some contract templates for my company's sales force using Word 2003. I am using the forms toolbar to insert checkboxes and drop down boxes from which to select deliverable specifications. The problem is that when a user selects an option from the drop down box, the gray shading remains. I know the sales teams HATE the gray shading because they don't think it looks very good when sending to customers. Is there a way to disable the shading when an option is selected? Thanks. You can remove form field shading altogether using the corresponding b...

Combo values from query based on form fields
I am setting the values for a combo box in a form(s) via a query that 'filters' the results with criteria based upon the values of other fields on the form. The combo is a field that is bound. However, this is giving all kinds of problems ranging from Access completely crashing to being asked for the parameter values of those criteria fields when closing the form. I have tried making the combo an unbound field and then setting the value of the bound field to that unbound field after update, but that still leads to the same issues. How can I do this? As example - I have a form w...

deleting duplicate rows
I have an import file that might have duplicates that I don't want to deal with. I'm creating a temp table from the import file and want to delete the duplicates from the temp table before proceding with other code. Here's an example table: create table #temp (itemnum int, firstname varchar(10), notes varchar(50)) insert into #temp (itemnum, firstname, notes) values (1, 'keith', 'some note') insert into #temp (itemnum, firstname, notes) values (1, 'keith', 'some other note') insert into #temp (itemnum, firstname, notes) values (2, ...

Duplicate message box
Hi... Can u pls.anybody suggest for my below query..? My query is.... I set Primary key for 4 field together as i need to check duplicate values for these 4 field. When i enter the data into the form, it restricts to enter the duplicate values by giving the below message. "The changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would create duplicate values in the index,primary key, or relationship. Change the data in the field or fields thagt contain duplicate data,remove the index,or redefine the index to permit duplicate entries and try again." But, i ne...

Conditional text field Total
Hi, In the detail section of a report I have a text box that based on a condition, it will be either a 0 or a 1. I want to total the control at the end of the report. I did this in another report a couple of years ago but it is not working now. In the previous report, the ControlSource of the total is = [TextBoxNameFromDetailSection] and it sums correctly. What am I doing wrong?? Thanks. Leah -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/201001/1 Thanks but I see what was missing - "running sum over ...

ActiveX vs Forms
Hello- I am trying to embed some option buttons on a worksheet. I want to have two sets of buttons which are mutually exclusive, say A-D and then 1-3. I want to start with 1-3 hidden and if the user chooses option D from the first set then 1-3 will be revealed. I did this fine with the activex option buttons and VBA, however, it is not recognizing A-D and 1-3 as separate groups. Therefore, as soon as the user select 1,2 or 3, it will uncheck D and therefore rehide the remaining numbered boxes. I grouped and named each set of buttons together, but that did not work. If I try to use a group...

Refresh Results In A Second Subform In A Form
Hi, This could be a tricky one. What I've done is created a Form named ACCOUNTS SELECT which has a control being a Comb Box named 'PICK RESNAME' and an embedded subform which returns all the records according to the particular data from the 'PICK RESNAME' Combo Box. Thats all fine and well ! But what I need is to pick specific records and to store them in a let's say temporary Table which I will print out via a Report. For this temporary table, I have created in the Form ACCOUNTS SELECT another Subform which I hoped will view all the selections I have made...

ADO Field is Nothing error
Running ANY integration on version 10 (have SP 4 installed in Dynamics AND integration manager) yields this error for EVERY user except me (I am an administrator on our domain). There are no symbols or weird charcters. These worked fine a couple months ago, but now no one can run any. These are not even sql optimized eConnect one. They are basic standard integrations. Are you using a shared Integration Manager database or does each user have their own. If the latter, then users may not be seeing the file you are seeing in the location you are seeing it. Best regards, --...

trying to select the last 3 digits of a field
hello all this is the query im using (I am looking to get the last 3 characters of a field): rep_code: Right(tablename.fieldname,3) And I get this error: IDBC--call failed [Informix][Infomirx ODBC Driver][Informix]A syntax error has occurred. (#-201) Is it something wrong with my query or something outside Access 2003 (since the table I am trying to work with its using an ODBC conexion)? Any ideas??? Thanks ...

Continuous Form, Window Top Record Ordinal
On continuous view forms, there should be a form property that has the recordset ordinal of the top-most record currently displayed in the form’s window. For example, if a recordset contains 100 records and the CurrentRecord is 5 and the user scrolls down until the CurrentRecord disappears off the top of the screen, what is the recordset ordinal for the record that is now at the top of the window? Left clicking on the scrollbar slider will display “Record: x of y”, but there should be a property that contains the value of x for code purposes. Perhaps call it “WindowTopRecord...