HELP! Need Access DB to show realtime changes in different location

Hi Guys,

I was wondering about how access refreshes it's data within forms and it
seems that it doesn't.
If i have a form open in one location on a network and update fields on the
form the changes are not shown on the form opened in another location.
(I.e. if 2 users are in the same form at the same time and one adds a new
record the other users form will not show this change).

Is there anyway that Access can be setup to show real-time changes over
multiple locations?
Preferably without having to do a manual refresh by clicking a button or
something.

All i want to do is show changes to a form instantly in different locations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shuja.

-- 
Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com

0
dabooj
3/23/2007 10:41:05 AM
access.forms 6864 articles. 2 followers. Follow

7 Replies
1241 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 1

You can set the form's TimerInterval property to an appropriate time (its 
value can be between 0 and 65,535 milliseconds), and put code in the forms 
Timer event to do a requery (using Me.Requery)

-- 
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)


"dabooj via AccessMonster.com" <u25322@uwe> wrote in message 
news:6f9b1f5bc0926@uwe...
> Hi Guys,
>
> I was wondering about how access refreshes it's data within forms and it
> seems that it doesn't.
> If i have a form open in one location on a network and update fields on 
> the
> form the changes are not shown on the form opened in another location.
> (I.e. if 2 users are in the same form at the same time and one adds a new
> record the other users form will not show this change).
>
> Is there anyway that Access can be setup to show real-time changes over
> multiple locations?
> Preferably without having to do a manual refresh by clicking a button or
> something.
>
> All i want to do is show changes to a form instantly in different 
> locations.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shuja.
>
> -- 
> Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com
> 


0
Douglas
3/23/2007 11:15:41 AM
"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message 
news:%23RVdZyTbHHA.2408@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> You can set the form's TimerInterval property to an appropriate time (its 
> value can be between 0 and 65,535 milliseconds), and put code in the forms 
> Timer event to do a requery (using Me.Requery)
>

Hi Doug,

Wouldn't that have the unwanted side-effect of setting the current record as 
the first in the set?  Would Refresh be a better alternative?

Regards,
Keith. 


0
Keith
3/23/2007 11:42:01 AM
I, too, was under the impression that this was exactly the situation that
Refresh was meant to be used for!

-- 
There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200703/1

0
missinglinq
3/23/2007 12:59:55 PM
Interesting thread ...

My understanding is that Refresh will cause changes to the current 
form/record to be displayed (eg. it will refresh calculated controls), 
whereas Requery will update any changes to the form's recordsource (and, 
quite likely, change the record being displayed on the form); the Requery 
will also trigger a refresh for calculated controls.  I await further 
clarification from the experts.

Rob


"missinglinq via AccessMonster.com" <u28780@uwe> wrote in message 
news:6f9c55ebbdf50@uwe...
> I, too, was under the impression that this was exactly the situation that
> Refresh was meant to be used for!
>
> -- 
> There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!
>
> Answers/posts based on Access 2000
>
> Message posted via AccessMonster.com
> http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200703/1
> 


0
Rob
3/23/2007 1:17:38 PM
from Access 2003 Visual Basic Help:

"The Refresh method shows only changes made to records in the current set.
Since the Refresh method doesn't actually requery the database, the current
set won't include records that have been added or exclude records that have
been deleted since the database was last requeried. Nor will it exclude
records that no longer satisfy the criteria of the query or filter. To
requery the database, use the Requery method. When the record source for a
form is requeried, the current set of records will accurately reflect all
data in the record source."

hth


"Rob Parker" <NOSPAMrobpparker@optusnet.com.au.REMOVETHIS> wrote in message
news:%23lP7i2UbHHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Interesting thread ...
>
> My understanding is that Refresh will cause changes to the current
> form/record to be displayed (eg. it will refresh calculated controls),
> whereas Requery will update any changes to the form's recordsource (and,
> quite likely, change the record being displayed on the form); the Requery
> will also trigger a refresh for calculated controls.  I await further
> clarification from the experts.
>
> Rob
>
>
> "missinglinq via AccessMonster.com" <u28780@uwe> wrote in message
> news:6f9c55ebbdf50@uwe...
> > I, too, was under the impression that this was exactly the situation
that
> > Refresh was meant to be used for!
> >
> > -- 
> > There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!
> >
> > Answers/posts based on Access 2000
> >
> > Message posted via AccessMonster.com
> > http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200703/1
> >
>
>


0
tina
3/23/2007 1:49:30 PM
"Keith Wilby" <here@there.com> wrote in message 
news:4603b98b$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net...
> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message 
> news:%23RVdZyTbHHA.2408@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> You can set the form's TimerInterval property to an appropriate time (its 
>> value can be between 0 and 65,535 milliseconds), and put code in the 
>> forms Timer event to do a requery (using Me.Requery)
>>
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> Wouldn't that have the unwanted side-effect of setting the current record 
> as the first in the set?  Would Refresh be a better alternative?

A lot depends on what the users want, but I think a Requery is what's 
required. You can always bookmark the current row, do the requery, then 
reset the current row based on the bookmark.

-- 
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)



0
Douglas
3/23/2007 2:33:25 PM
"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message 
news:%23DNC5gVbHHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> "Keith Wilby" <here@there.com> wrote in message 
> news:4603b98b$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net...
>>
>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> Wouldn't that have the unwanted side-effect of setting the current record 
>> as the first in the set?  Would Refresh be a better alternative?
>
> A lot depends on what the users want, but I think a Requery is what's 
> required. You can always bookmark the current row, do the requery, then 
> reset the current row based on the bookmark.
>

Duly noted, thanks Doug. 


0
Keith
3/26/2007 8:33:21 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Reporting from Project Server
I dont know if i need to ask this question here or in the Access section. I have an ODBC connection to the Project Server database so I can make reports through Access. Access' limit of 255 fields per table is causing me some trouble. for example, the MSP_VIEW_PROJ_PROJECTS_ENT table has well over 255 fields. Access only shows me the first 255 fields. how can I change that so I can see all the fields in that table? thanks, Hadi Hadi, I have not tried this yet it may be a viable option. Have your DBA create a view that pulls the key fields to this table and the specifi...

Looking for Excel Help
I'm a very novice Excel user and am looking for a little help with creating a formula for a spreadsheet I'm creating for my personal use. I would appreciate some assistance if possible. Thanks in advance. Dan --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Dan! Post a sample of what you want to do. Your question is just a tad open ended <g> -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "DanB4105" <DanB4105.ywtpa@excelfor...

New to excel
Hi All, I'm new to Excel ( and to this forum :) ) and so I hope somebody may b able to help me. I've got 2 questions.... QUESTION 1 I've got a spreadsheet which takes data from one worksheet and uses i to calculate data in a second worksheet using the following code formula: =IF('4th November 2005'!B19="","nothing here dude",IF(B19<'4th Novembe 2005'!B19,"UP",IF(B19='4th November 2005'!B19,"Same",IF(B19>'4t November 2005'!B19,"DOWN")))) The problem is, when I create a new worksheet I have...

"View Image Slide Show"
(Running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, SP-2, IE-8, WM-6, WLM-09, classic mode, dial-up.) In Windows Live Mail, most of the time when I receive an email with 2 or more .jpg files attached, there is an option shown as: "View Image Slide Show". Clicking on that line brings up a screen which allows me to cycle through the attached .jpg files, viewing them in sequence, going back and forth as I desire. About every 10 or so emails having some .jpg files as attachments I receive one, with several such attachments, which does NOT have the "View Image Slide Show" op...

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong
I’m using MS Project 2007, have several task linked with finish to start. I have set date to schedule from, hours per day set to 8 and Working Monday thru Friday. My schedule shows Task 1 Duration 4 days, start Wed 6/2/10, Finish Mon 6/7/10 Task 2 Duration 3 days, start Mon 6/7/10, Finish Thu 6/10/10 Task 2 should have a Start Date of 6/8/10 not 6/7/10; what is causing this? Thanks in advance for your help. ...

Changing Cells and entering data in them
Thanks for the help again. Big thanks to Steve you've got me this far. I went out and bought a book, but it's like reading a foreign language. I was informed today that I can't have message boxes come up. I need to have the code point at the cells and if they are blank turn which ever one is blank red or if both are then both turn red then pause for each cell to be filled in. Cell F14 "Last Name" then automatically go to Cell F16 "First Name" on tab or enter. Basically if Cell F22 or F23 has an X in it, Cells F14 an F16 turn red and cell F14 has the focus...

Show date, time & day of week in one cell
Can I show the date, time and day of week in one cell. I have: 09/03/07 8:30 AM in one cell using the format (Format/Cells/Custom): [$-409]mm/dd/yy h:mm AM/PM;@ Excel refuses to accept ddd for Mon or dddd Monday at the end of the format I want it to read: 09/03/07 8:30 AM Monday in 1 cell. I have Excel 2003. One way: mm/dd/yy h:mm AM/PM dddd;@ In article <Xns99B8A3CAF9130pencilunlistedcom@208.49.82.220>, Burp <burp@beep.comINVALID> wrote: > Can I show the date, time and day of week in one cell. > > I have: > 09/03/07 8:30 AM > in one cell using the for...

Change position ID in HR
We would like to change the position ID in human resources. Does anyone have a suggestion on this. You would need to do it behind the scenes using a tool like Query Analyzer. -- Charles Allen, MVP "KT" wrote: > We would like to change the position ID in human resources. Does anyone have > a suggestion on this. careful though when you change it on the background as you need to know all the tables that use this position ID or Position Code and change it there too otherwise all the link would be gone and you end up with orphan records that its just the same as creatin...

I need a macro
I would like a macro to do the following: I would place the the cursor in any cell and this macro would give me the average of all the entries to the left if the selected cell. EX: I place the cursor in cell M12. I want this macro on display in cell M12 the average of all the values from Col C12 to Col L12. Note that there may NOT be entries in all the cells in that range. Also the start point would always be col C .Thanks You can do this easily with a worksheet_selection event in the sheet module but you would probably want to restrict to a certain range or columns and rows or it woul...

Redirect Exchange 2000 IS backup to different Exchange 2003 server
I recently added an Exchange 2003 server to the same org as a 2000 server. I have dbs from the 2000 server that I need to restore to retrieve email from a user whose mailbox was moved to 2003. So I need to restore the db for that mailbox from BEFORE it was moved because when you move mailboxes you lose any deleted items that were being saved by retention policy. Is this possible? I'm using Veritas Backup Exec 10 but nothing in their support KB seems to follow this exact scenario. If it helps, the old Exch 2000 server is currently empty of users and is ready to be uninstalled. W...

Please help #8
I have Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2003 in Cache mode. Has anyone seen this or know how to fix it? Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8007000E) : 'Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again.' "John S" wrote: > > I have Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2003 in Cache mode. Has anyone seen this or > know how to fix it? > > Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8007000E) : 'Out of > memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again.' > >...

Savings a/c cashflow doesn't show withdrawals
Money 2003 When I do a cashflow forecast for my savings a/c it doesn't take into account transfers to my "cash" account - the one I use to keep track of what I spend my cash on. Consequently when I do the cashflow it gives an unreal projection of savings. I wish I could save $3000 in 2 months but it's not going to happen... ...

How do you change the APR?
How do you change the APR in a Credit Card account? Like if you have to change it from 13.250% to 14.240% Depends on the version but (in M2007) go to the CC Account and click on Change Account Settings. Scroll down to Credit Information and click on Change Credit Details. If you want to change the Minimum payment rate/amount as well, click on the Minimum payment amount and a side window opens. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically ...

After editing example1.xls and click SAVE, the filename changes to AABBEE.xls
After editing example1.xls and click SAVE, the filename changes to AABBEE.xls. The original file still exist and has been updated but the 'funny' filename also have the same content, and editable. The example1.xls is stored in a server and accessed by many people within the company. Everyone accessing to the file will change the filename unknowingly after saving it. ...

Access to User Calendar
I have a user called small conference room that is used to schedule meetings on its calendar. I would like to link the calendar from our intranet site to the calendar with a UNC path. I am calling outlook: and I can get to my local mailbox and public folders but I am unable to connect to another users calendar. I am running Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003. Is there some security modifications that need to be done? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Steve I believe that you will need full mailbox rights. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!&...

I need to print a word in PDF from excel.
Hi, In my excel Macro, I update several values and then open a word linked with that excel. Finally what I need to do is to print that word to PDF. I already have a PDF Printer, so I just need the code to do it. Can anybody help me? Thanks in advance. Gast=F3n. Habilita la impresora predeterminada como la PDF y ya lo puedes imprimir a al formato deseado Gracias Francisco,=20 Tienes alg=FAn codigo para ello? gracias Repitiendo: Desde el panel de impresoras asigno primero la que me interesa y despues ejecuto mi macro desde el archivo excel asignando la instruccion sig: midefaultes = a...

Business Portal Development
All: I know how to use Rational XDE, VS and the BP SDK to create new entities in BP, but how does one go about chaning labels? For example, if I wanted to change two labels on a requisition mgt screen: Can I just crack open the ASPX page and change the caption property? Thanks, Dwight -- Hi, To edit the lables you can use front page server extensions 2003. "Dwight Specht" wrote: > All: > > I know how to use Rational XDE, VS and the BP SDK to create new entities in > BP, but how does one go about chaning labels? > > For example, if I wanted to ch...

microsoft.public.access.conversion
...

How to set "licence" for Access 2007 database?
Hi I developed an Access 2007 db to a client. Now I want to make a year based licence for that database that the client must pay if they want to continue using the database after year. It must be so that database cannot be used after this date. How I can accomplish this? Thanks! On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:14:17 -0700 (PDT), Sandroid <santeri.virtanen@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi > >I developed an Access 2007 db to a client. Now I want to make a year >based licence for that database that the client must pay if they want >to continue using the database after year. It mu...

Help with importing data
Can I have users fill in a form in Access and have that data be transferred and updated to a spreadsheet. Need for fill out several fields and then export to a specific spreadsheet and place that data into the cells that will update that cell (add to the total in that cell) of a spreadsheet. ...

MOVE TO FOLDER... only appears. I need MOVE TO FOLDER
This is very odd and I've found that I've had this problem before with not finding icons. Some I've found at the office don't appear here and vice versa, or they act differently. I have Outlook 2000 in both places! Very odd. At home, I couldn't find the HIGH IMPORTANCE icon under the list of items available in the customize. Yet I have it at work. That's the one where when the HIGH IMPORTANCE is on, it shows a depressed button state. I really need that in both places. Anyway, simple (or so I thought) - I ended up just brining the toolbar from work on a floppy, a...

Problem with different versions of Access
Hello, I am working on a VBA Access pplication which connects to a SQL Server database. I have a continuous form displayed with data, ad it is linked to a database table, so when I enter a value from my form the data in instantaneously updated in the database. The problem I have is that this form works perfectly when I am developping, and using my developpement environement (with Access allowing me to set breakpoints, go step by step in the code and so on), but it does not work when I use it in the PC of the ending user : in this case, when I enter a value in the form, and click in a...

I did it too- something different
For the first time in almost a decade, I have put together a website. It's a work in progress and I am trying to keep it simple - no Flash, animated graphics, ornate backgrounds. It's all about stuff happening in my realm, something like a one-stop site for people in my circulation area. The address is www.mcvcourier.com If you have any comments, please let me know. (I know, Off-topic!) Mike Hey, Mike, looks pretty good to me... Did you use Publisher? I had forgotten you were in Cincinnati. You will have to look up my son if you ever get to UC. He is an adjunct professor and ...

Outlook: default new mail location
We seem to have a problem with users that log into a workstation that they have never logged into before. Basically, the default NEW MAIL location is set to a PST local to their c: drive. So, when they open up Outlook to check thier mail. All MAILBOX, INBOX mail slowly dissapears and is moved to the local pst file. Once, we configure the users Outlook profile on that machine and change the default NEW MAIL location to the Exhange/Mailbox/Inbox it works fine. I've heard about PRF files, but I am unfamiliar with configuring them. All I want is for the default NEW MAIL locatio...

Please Help with Multiple Field Primary Keys
I have two tables in a database that have to use four fields for a unique identifier and primary key. How do I set up a query to set a relationship between those four fields together as one? When I add the tables to the query I see the fields, but I am not having any success properly setting the relationships. The upper half of the query design window is where the 2 tables appear. Drag Field1 from Table1, and drop it into Field1 from Table2. Access displays a join line from one table to the other. Drag Field2 from Table1, and drop it into Field2 from Table2. Repeat for the other 3 f...