Form for table

Here's the problem:

Access 2003, XP Pro-

I have three tables that are related by primary keys. I have a
table[Table QC] that has the field [EmployeeID], the data type is
number--that field is linked to the autonumber primary key of the
Employees Table. So far so good. I am trying to make a form that has a
combo box that looks to the Employee Table to get me the drop down of
the employees (Last Name, First Name). The SQL statement builds out
okay, and I get the correct name config., but because the data type is
a number it won't accept the data. I looked at the Northwind example
and it is identical to what I am trying to do. I have the properties
set identically. In the Northwind example the names show in the field
Last Name, First Name, but the data type is set for number. I must be
missing something simple. Please help.

Thanks,

Sean

0
schongresh

schongresh wrote:
> Here's the problem:
>
> Access 2003, XP Pro-
>
> I have three tables that are related by primary keys. I have a
> table[Table QC] that has the field [EmployeeID], the data type is
> number--that field is linked to the autonumber primary key of the
> Employees Table. So far so good. I am trying to make a form that has a
> combo box that looks to the Employee Table to get me the drop down of
> the employees (Last Name, First Name). The SQL statement builds out
> okay, and I get the correct name config., but because the data type is
> a number it won't accept the data. I looked at the Northwind example
> and it is identical to what I am trying to do. I have the properties
> set identically. In the Northwind example the names show in the field
> Last Name, First Name, but the data type is set for number. I must be
> missing something simple. Please help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean

The ComboBox needs to have a hidden column containing the numeric ID value and
you make that the bound column.  The control displays text but has a numeric
value.  If you look again at Northwind you will see that this is how they have
it set up.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
6/9/2007 2:46:18 AM
On Jun 8, 7:46 pm, "Rick Brandt" <rickbran...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> schongresh wrote:
> > Here's the problem:
>
> > Access 2003, XP Pro-
>
> > I have three tables that are related by primary keys. I have a
> > table[Table QC] that has the field [EmployeeID], the data type is
> > number--that field is linked to the autonumber primary key of the
> > Employees Table. So far so good. I am trying to make a form that has a
> > combo box that looks to the Employee Table to get me the drop down of
> > the employees (Last Name, First Name). The SQL statement builds out
> > okay, and I get the correct name config., but because the data type is
> > a number it won't accept the data. I looked at the Northwind example
> > and it is identical to what I am trying to do. I have the properties
> > set identically. In the Northwind example the names show in the field
> > Last Name, First Name, but the data type is set for number. I must be
> > missing something simple. Please help.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Sean
>
> The ComboBox needs to have a hidden column containing the numeric ID value and
> you make that the bound column.  The control displays text but has a numeric
> value.  If you look again at Northwind you will see that this is how they have
> it set up.
>
> --
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. The wizard automatically hides the primary key(number). So,
under properties there should be two columns, with the one with the
expression [LastName]&", "&[FirstName] showing visible and the ID
number not-visible?

0
schongresh
6/9/2007 3:43:17 AM
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:43:17 -0700, schongresh <sean@valleyfleetclean.com>
wrote:

>Thanks. The wizard automatically hides the primary key(number). So,
>under properties there should be two columns, with the one with the
>expression [LastName]&", "&[FirstName] showing visible and the ID
>number not-visible?

Yes. The visibility is not handled with a "Visible" property though, but
rather with the ColumnWidths property. Set the width of the ID field to 0 and
that of the concatenated name to something big enough to see the name for most
records.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John

Code to fill Word form for multiple records from Access
This is the code I've been working with, but it freezes Access: Private Sub Command66_Click() 'Print Physician Profile. Dim appWord As Word.Application Dim doc As Word.Document 'Avoid error 429, when Word isn't open. On Error Resume Next Err.Clear 'Set appWord object variable to running instance of Word. Set appWord = GetObject(, "Word.Application") If Err.Number <> 0 Then 'If Word isn't open, create a new instance of Word. Set appWord = New Word.Application End If Set rs = Db.OpenRecordset rst.Open Me.RecordSource, CurrentProject.Co...

Update back-end tables, fields, relationships etc...
I am looking for some examples of code or links to code examples to update a back-end database appropriately so it works with the next version of the front-end. Both dbs are Access2007, Example: I have a table tblPreference in the back-end that has a versionNumber field and is set to "1.0". If my latest "2.0" front-end is opened I want it to detect the OLD version 1.0 back-end and run the code to update the back-end to "2.0" and then change the version number. Things I need done include: - adding fields to existing tables - deleting fields from ...

Use Pivot Table to Populate another table dynamically
Hi, I have a pivot table that is pulling from a large table of data with hours and projects for various clients and hours etc. I want to create an invoice that is populated dynamically with the hours and project as they change by client depending on the client filter. Is there anyway to do this? Everything I have tried has not been dynamic. Thanks ...

Can't populate frx_entity table in th glx database
After running Account modifier, I can't get into FRx for our test company. I get the error 9 with a message subscript out of range ...occurred while populating the frl_entity table in GLX database. I ran the server-based indexing scripts, truncated gl00105, and ran check links on Account master. I'm not so sure I got the right gl32 file. How do track this file down? Does anyone have any othe rideas? Thanks. Jim -- Jim ...

Input a date using a Form Button.
Hi, Please help as I'm totally lost with this one! I'm doing a little project for work and I have come across a littl problem with a date input that I have set up using a Form Button. No this button once pressed enters the date just as I want, into th correct Cell (the buttons called "Todays Date") Now I have recorded macro so that the button executes the =TODAY() comand - which is fin untill the date changes!! As you can emagine I need the date to stay a it was when first pressed as its a database I'm trying to compile. Does this make any sense to you all?? I will...

Access
Hi, i have a on going database for my employees and i would like to add another column employee ID number. On the existing table the column employee ID is there but no number associated to the employee. I want to import from excel. the excel file has all employees name and employee number. EE name is the primary key and i only want to import the EE ID number only, the rest of the column in the table leave as is. can someone help me with this? thanks On Tue, 18 May 2010 00:44:55 GMT, "accessnote" <u60148@uwe> wrote: >Hi, i have a on going database for my ...

Journal Form...?
On my computer at work, in the Outlook (Xp) Journal - form, the pull down for "Entry Type" is blank except for "Access, Excel, Power Point..." Where did the "Phone Call, Note, Fax, Meeting, etc..." go? How do I get the proper list back? I have tried [Help-Detect and Repair] I have tried Properties (in Form Design) but the first page of the Journal Form in design mode is null... The various Journal entry types are registry entries. See http://www.inquiry.com/techtips/exo_pro/10min/10min0999.asp for information about how to add custom entries. The same pr...

Table and Chart
I have three variables: Screen (month and year), Eligible (yes/no), and Enrolled (yes/no). Screen starts on March 2005 and will continue for several years to come. I want to create a column chart that shows for each month and year the number of people who were eligible and enrolled. Below is a sample of the data. I think I want something like this: IF A:A = Jan-05, then count B:B and C:C of the same row where A:A is the column for Screen B:B is the column for Eligible C:C is the column for Enrolled Once I have the table I should be able to do the graph. I'm sure though I&...

Why is my row truncated in a pivot table?
my source of the pivot table has a data field with 81 words, yet only 44 words show up in the results table. How can I get the entire 81 words in the pivot table? A pivot table cell is limited to 255 characters. There's no setting you can change to increase this limit. mcmunnd1 wrote: > my source of the pivot table has a data field with 81 words, yet only 44 > words show up in the results table. How can I get the entire 81 words in the > pivot table? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

open form with no data
Hi, I have a form on which i present al lot of data from a database. On the form is a comobox which i use to select the right record en present the data of this record on the form. When i open de form, de combobox is empty (which is good !) but the rest of the form is already filled with the data of a record in the database (which is not good). When i choose a record for the combobox, the form is filled with the data of that particular record (which is good). So the only problem i have is on opening the form. Is it possible to open the form without it being filled with data...

pivot table row subtotals
Excel 2003 I am pretty good at pivot table but can't figure out how the have subtotals display for my 3rd row field in under my 2nd row field - they only display at the grand total line. Please see the example below. I need to get subtotals for A/P and OP under store 1 and then again under store 2. Also My calculated field do now show up in my grand totals? why not - they should work - the math is valid. thanks!!!! Div Desc Desc Ver Store 1 4 OP A/P 1 OP A/P 2 OP A/P 3 OP A/P Store 1 Total Store 2 5 OP A/P 6 OP A/P 7 OP A/P 8 OP A/P Store 2 Total Move ...

how can I attach a single access database form to an email
I want to attach a single database form to an email, im not sure if this is possible, Do you really mean a Form or a Report? Steve "tony" wrote: > I want to attach a single database form to an email, im not sure if this is > possible, Hi Steve, yes a report "SteveM" wrote: > Do you really mean a Form or a Report? > > Steve > > "tony" wrote: > > > I want to attach a single database form to an email, im not sure if this is > > possible, ...

Multiple selection in the page area of a pivot table
Is there any way i can have multiple selection check boxes in the page area of a pivot table? ...

password protected to sub form
i have a form which don't want to be used by everyone.it should be protected with a password. i have Main form which calls many sub forms, one of the sub forms need to be protected with password. Below are the forms created in my database frmForm frmMain1 frmPassword frmForm has a command button(cmdDo) which calls Form(frmPassword). in frmPassword there is text box(PASSWORD),when i type password as A to my text box this should open my frmMain1 ...

Open form to specific record from button on continuous form
I have a continous form with limited data and I would like to have a button which then opens up a selected record in another form. I've placed the button via the wizard and, while it opens the form, it doesn't open to the selected record. It it possible to have a button on a continous form which would then open to a bookmarked record on another form? The wizard put this code, is it possible to modify this? Thanks. Private Sub btnOpenForm_Click() On Error GoTo btnOpenForm_Click_Err DoCmd.OpenForm "frmName", acNormal, "", """...

Xrefs from Form Fields not Visible
I've got a form that uses xrefs (bookmarks) to repeat field text elsewhere in the doc. Some of the xrefs are showing up as gray boxes, but not all are. The xrefs are functional even if invisible. Removing the \h switch from the xref fields and updating the field does not cause the field to become gray. The paragraph style is the same for both visible and invisible xrefs. I'd like them all to be shown as gray boxes so that my (tech-unsavvy) users can see that the fields are actually there. I do have Show Bookmarks (and Field Shading) checked ON in Word Options. Tha...

Creating a form from two tables
Im looking for assistance. This database is used for evaluations. so a manager completes a form that has 25 questions. They do 4 evaluations a month on each employee. I have 3 tables the Evaluation information (Table 1), The Answer Information (Table 2) and the Question Table (Table 3) Is there a way to popuplate at form that has all the Evaluation Information, lists each question from table 3 with the Answer Information for each of those questions from Table 2. I haven't begun creating this database yet so if there is a better way to do it i am open to suggestions. Tabl...

Pivot Table question #6
Hi I have a pivot table with some data. When I put in the one of the fields "Costs" in the data area , excel does a count of the costs or if I go in options( Summary) it gives me choices for Sum, % of and etc. But I just want the values of the costs to show up in the pivot table data area but it does not give me that option .. I dont want any summarizing ( COunt, SUm, Min, Max ..etc) It seems I cannot find how to do that. Please help . Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks Yusuf. .. Yusuf, Without knowing the specifics, it's hard to tell whether a pivot tabl...

Prevent user from closing form -- form event
I have 2 buttons on my form. Button1 to import the data and Button2 to upload to database. I want user to click first on button1 and then next on button2 before closing the form. What form event I should use to prevent user from closing the form with out clicking on 2nd button? Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/201004/1 You can use the Unload event. You can prevent the form closing by setting Cancel = True in the unload event. You will need a way to notify the form that uploading has finished. You can put a...

Combining query and table
Well, I have a table with fields like Quantity Borrowed and Quantity Returned. I have a query with a field QuantityAvailable which is calculated based on some formula... So, problem is I want to build a subform consists of this table and query together yet user can enter themselves the QuantityReturned and next field is the QuantityAvailable showed... How? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Hey! Thanks for the idea... But, I have created the query and appended it in my form. It can works but it cannot automatically update as I enter the value in other fields.Any solution f...

How do i create a record form out of each rows?

Truth Table
OK - I have 6 questions, all of which can be answered either yes or no. Is there a way to build a macro that can determine all 36 possible scenarios for me? For example: 1 Yes Yes Yes 2 No Yes Yes 3 No No Yes 4 No No No 5 No No No 6 No No No .....and so on. We can use other values for Yes and No, say True or False, or "1" or "0", respectively. Any help is greatly appreciated. Victoria WAIT! I think I got it - can someone confirm this is accurate? Sub Macro() Dim lngRow As Long Dim intA As Integer, intB As Integer,...

Pivot Table Problem #4
I have a workbook that contains 10 separate sheets. Each sheet has data that is arranged in 3 columns with the same column labels and same type of data. I want to create a pivot table that will consolidate all 10 of the data sets. I am able to do this using the multiple range functionality but it does not produce the results I am looking for. I have tried changing the layout multiple ways to no avail. It will if I do one pivot table for each but then I would need to merge all of the individual Pivot Tables which I can not seem to do. What I want is this: Columns a,b,c of each sheet hav...

How to change a pivot table data source
Hi, Excel 2000 and Access 2000 Is it possible to change the data source of an existing pivot table? I have a database in access which is put on to a CD monthly with a Excel pivot table, however when created, the CD is generated with the data source being on drive D and lots of my team that use this pivot table, have CD drives as either E or F and as such when they add data items to the pivot table its not updated. Appreciate your help, Rob Sure. With the pivot table selected, right click and select wizard, then hit the back arrow and change the source. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "...

how create sum function in form field
I'm trying to utilize the sum function in a field on an Outlook 2002 form. I want the form field to sum up the other form fields. Sum is not a function listed in the value tab. Please advise. ...