Filter one combobox based on another combobox selection

I had 2 tables, called ProdInfor1 n ProdInfo2. Both are linked by Product
Code. Info1 contains the Product Item and Info2 contains the Size.

So I have this form, frmProductDetails which I would like to search for the
products using 2 combo boxes, which the first 1 is to select the product that
I want and subsequently I will want the 2nd one to filter out the sizes that
this Product has. And these 2 combo boxes are to appear in the form itself.

I came across 1 good example at http://www.databasedev.co.uk. However, it is
not within the form itself.

And with that, I realized that the same items have shown up in the Combox 1
becos they have different sizing. How shld I limit it to 1 item?

Search on "cascading combo boxes" for more information on how to do this.

--
Regards

Jeff Boyce
www.InformationFutures.net

Microsoft Office/Access MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
http://microsoftitacademy.com/

"confu-sed" <confu-sed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had 2 tables, called ProdInfor1 n ProdInfo2. Both are linked by Product
> Code. Info1 contains the Product Item and Info2 contains the Size.
>
> So I have this form, frmProductDetails which I would like to search for
the
> products using 2 combo boxes, which the first 1 is to select the product
that
> I want and subsequently I will want the 2nd one to filter out the sizes
that
> this Product has. And these 2 combo boxes are to appear in the form
itself.

> I came across 1 good example at http://www.databasedev.co.uk. However, it
is
> not within the form itself.
>
> And with that, I realized that the same items have shown up in the Combox
1
> becos they have different sizing. How shld I limit it to 1 item?

0
Jeff
7/10/2007 11:31:29 AM
I'd browsed thru' the threads and I still can't find a solution to my
problem. Any other ways you may help?

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Search on "cascading combo boxes" for more information on how to do this.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> www.InformationFutures.net
>
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
> Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
> http://microsoftitacademy.com/
>
> "confu-sed" <confu-sed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I had 2 tables, called ProdInfor1 n ProdInfo2. Both are linked by Product
> > Code. Info1 contains the Product Item and Info2 contains the Size.
> >
> > So I have this form, frmProductDetails which I would like to search for
> the
> > products using 2 combo boxes, which the first 1 is to select the product
> that
> > I want and subsequently I will want the 2nd one to filter out the sizes
> that
> > this Product has. And these 2 combo boxes are to appear in the form
> itself.
> >
> > I came across 1 good example at http://www.databasedev.co.uk. However, it
> is
> > not within the form itself.
> >
> > And with that, I realized that the same items have shown up in the Combox
> 1
> > becos they have different sizing. How shld I limit it to 1 item?

To limit the items in the combo box, use SELECT DISTINCT in your SQL, rather
than simply SELECT.

You'll have to provide more details about what you mean by "However, it is
not within the form itself."

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

> I'd browsed thru' the threads and I still can't find a solution to my
> problem. Any other ways you may help?
>
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> Search on "cascading combo boxes" for more information on how to do this.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> www.InformationFutures.net
>>
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>
>> Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
>> http://microsoftitacademy.com/
>>
>> "confu-sed" <confu-sed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I had 2 tables, called ProdInfor1 n ProdInfo2. Both are linked by
>> > Product
>> > Code. Info1 contains the Product Item and Info2 contains the Size.
>> >
>> > So I have this form, frmProductDetails which I would like to search for
>> the
>> > products using 2 combo boxes, which the first 1 is to select the
>> > product
>> that
>> > I want and subsequently I will want the 2nd one to filter out the sizes
>> that
>> > this Product has. And these 2 combo boxes are to appear in the form
>> itself.
>> >
>> > I came across 1 good example at http://www.databasedev.co.uk. However,
>> > it
>> is
>> > not within the form itself.
>> >
>> > And with that, I realized that the same items have shown up in the
>> > Combox
>> 1
>> > becos they have different sizing. How shld I limit it to 1 item?

0
Douglas
7/11/2007 11:33:12 AM
Go to Google.com.  Type in "Cascading Combo Boxes".  Search.

--
Regards

Jeff Boyce
www.InformationFutures.net

Microsoft Office/Access MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
http://microsoftitacademy.com/

"confu-sed" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'd browsed thru' the threads and I still can't find a solution to my
> problem. Any other ways you may help?
>
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
> > Search on "cascading combo boxes" for more information on how to do
this.

> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Jeff Boyce
> > www.InformationFutures.net
> >
> > Microsoft Office/Access MVP
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >
> > Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
> > http://microsoftitacademy.com/
> >
> > "confu-sed" <confu-sed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I had 2 tables, called ProdInfor1 n ProdInfo2. Both are linked by
Product
> > > Code. Info1 contains the Product Item and Info2 contains the Size.
> > >
> > > So I have this form, frmProductDetails which I would like to search
for
> > the
> > > products using 2 combo boxes, which the first 1 is to select the
product
> > that
> > > I want and subsequently I will want the 2nd one to filter out the
sizes
> > that
> > > this Product has. And these 2 combo boxes are to appear in the form
> > itself.
> > >
> > > I came across 1 good example at http://www.databasedev.co.uk. However,
it
> > is
> > > not within the form itself.
> > >
> > > And with that, I realized that the same items have shown up in the
Combox
> > 1
> > > becos they have different sizing. How shld I limit it to 1 item?

0
Jeff

Hiding Columns based on cell value
I am a novice when it comes to writing VBA code, I would greatly appreciate any help I can get in figuring out my ?. I would like to write a macro that automatically hides columns of data based on the value of a cell (I2) with a picklist. Cell I2's picklist is monthly values (formatted as Jan-10 though Dec-10 but real values are 1/1/2010 through 12/1/2010). I have a range that contains work week end date values (1/8/2010 to 12/31/2010) in L6:BK6. I would like to have the macro hide columns that are less than date value chosen in I2. For example, if a user selects "...

trying to import contacts from another computer
I seem to have a mess on my hands. And I don't really understand Outlook, so please keep it simple! I have tried many times to import my contacts from another computer. When I try to select the destination, there are 2 personal folders in the hierarchy table both with complete sets of subfolders, including mutliple contacts folders and subfolders??!! Obviously, I have tried to import too many times! I can't seem to figure out how to delete the extra set and what the hierarchy should look like. Importing is never the correct way to transfer Outlook data. Thank you for demo...

In excel how do I copy page setup format from one wsht to another
Excel 2003 Professional I have made multiple sheets in workbook, copied formatted sheet1 to other sheets, but the printing or page setup does not copy to other sheets. I want to be able to copy the page setup format to all other sheets in the workbook. Richard, With the sheet that has the correct settings active, right-click on the sheet tab and select "Select All Sheets", then use File/Page Setup and immediately click OK (don't change anything). Click on some other worksheet to get you out of "Group" mode now all sheets should have the same page settings! -- Paul...

Can I setup two checkbox so that you can only check one at a time
I have two fields, both which are yes/no checkbox's. However, for query purposes on a form, I would like the user to be able to only choose one of the checkbox's at a time (on a form), preventing them from checking both and having two many results show up. Is there some sort of expression/macro that will allow this? Using the option box will not really work for me in this case since its two different fields. Thanks! You can put them in an Option Group, or you can put code in their AfterUpdate events: Private Sub Check0_AfterUpdate() Me.Check1 = Not Me.Check0 End If Pri...

Reccuring Bills: Payment Method Selection Problem
Hi -- I hope that someone can help me out. I've recently upgraded from MS Money 2005 to 2006 Deluxe version. When setting up a new recurring bill I'm encountering a problem when selecting the bill "payment method". The drop down list only offers "write check" as a payment method choice. Shoulden't there be other choices/methods offered? Grateful for an answer/solution please. Many thanks. (Jeremy) ...

How do I import to word 2007 from an HP C7280 all in one copier.
With Windows XP I could import documents and photos etc perfectly into MS Word from my HP Photosmart C7280 and then send them as email attachments. Since upgrading to Windows 7 Office Professional, Word will not let me do this. While it recognises the C7280 as a printer it does not seem to recognise it as a scanner. When I look for 'import' in Word 2007 it is not there as it was in XP. When I look in 'insert' there is no provision to import from my C7290. Can anybody help please ????????? Regards, Jack Cox See the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor...

Consolidation problem. Adding rows to one tab that automatically add and update on another.
Hi all First post, here goes. I have googled this to no avail, perhaps you can help? I have a problem that I am trying to solve, it's hard to explain so I have produced a video of the problem and put it on YouTube, or perhaps you are able to follow my text below without the video? If you search for 'paulonthetube' on YouTube, you will find my video. I have four tabs in a spreadsheet. The first tab is a consolidation tab. More on that one later. Tabs 2-4 are my quotes (1-3) and include items, codes, quantity, unit cost, total unit cost, gross price and total gross price. Norma...

Installing web download on another computer
I recently downloaded Money 2005 Premium from the web so how do I install it on another computer? The other computer is on a network with the Money 2005 computer if this helps. Do I need a certain file to download the application onto the other computer? Please help. Thanks in advance. ...

Is it ok to run POS and SQL on one PC?
I have been running POS on one PC as client and SQL database on another as server. These 2 PCs are getting old and I want to upgrade. If I am getting a faster PC, is there any downside to running both POS and SQL database on one machine? Since SQL Server is the desktop edition, it seems all that power on the server side is not necessary. No, just make sure you have a good backup routine. Rob "sammm" wrote: > I have been running POS on one PC as client and SQL database on > another as server. These 2 PCs are getting old and I want to upgrade. > If I am getting a faster P...

SQL select help
SELECT * FROM [TerritoryCoverage_finnleo] UNION SELECT * FROM [TerritoryCoverage_helo]; I want to also add a column that will be BRAND: "BrandName". How would I add this doing a SQL statement. Thanks -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200708/1 Thank you KARL DEWEY wrote: >SELECT *, "BrandName" AS BRAND >FROM [TerritoryCoverage_finnleo] > >UNION SELECT *, "BrandName" AS BRAND >FROM [TerritoryCoverage_helo]; > >> SELECT * &...

use pull down menu to select a picture #2
I use the Combo Box pull down menu buttons a lot. I click on the Box, select an item from the list and the relevant data pops up as expected. How can I make a picture pop up when I select an item from the Combo Box List? please advise I think you would need VBA.The picture would not be in the cell, as shapes exist in a separate layer to the worksheet cells, but you could position it. What you could do is name the logo by the value in the drop-down, and then move that to the required position, move all others away. The problem is that when you select something, you need a way to align t...

Recipient filter and Outlook error.
Good day, On our exchange 2003 environment we configured a few groups and normally users send mails to these groups. Since the groups should only receive mails from users that belong to the company (single exchange organisation), we added the groups' email addresses to the recipient filters and enabled this on the SMTP virtual server. The SMTP virtual server is configured to allow anonymous access as it is required for some company purposes. We have about 80 locations and about 3000 users. The problem we have right now is that for locations that are far off, we use POP/SMTP...

Intelligent Message Filter and Outlook
I have not enabled IMF on our server yet because I have a couple of questions. How does a message that is tagged as junk appear to the user in the Outlook Junk Folder? Does it tag it somehow so that the user knows that it has gone through IMF? If the user has not enabled Junk Email scanning on their client and it delivers it to the Inbox, does it say that it's spam? I hope these questions make sense. I have no problem configuring IMF and enabling it but I want to know how it will affect the user before I do anything. Thanks Kathy The message itself doesn't change in any way ex...

Suggestion: Hide selections in Excel
The new explorer bar in windows XP explorer window is a good idea. it allows a list of commonly used functions grouped by type, and hidable under it's group name. Excel could make use of a feature like this, wherein many columns or rows could be grouped together as a single group, and with one click be "hidden", that is the rows or columns after those selected would collapse to take their place, thus hiding data. I commonly use Excel to do lengthy data transformations, and often I wish to compare the final results to the raw data at the top of the spreadsheet. Freeze p...

another sumifs plea
I'm struggling to convert a sumifs line from 2007 to excel 2003. The line I have working correctly in 2007 is: =SUMIFS('Washing MC Rental'!$K$4:$K$21,'Washing MC Rental'!$Q$4:$Q$21,"= 0.00",'Washing MC Rental'!$L$4:$L$21,">28/2/2010")-SUMIFS('Washing MC Rental'!$K$4:$K$21,'Washing MC Rental'!$Q$4:$Q$21,"= 0.00",'Washing MC Rental'!$L$4:$L$21,">31/3/2010") Can any one please help me to put this into 2003? Best Regards Dave =SUMPRODUCT('Washing MC Rental'!$K$4:$K$21,...

transfer a page to another file
Is there a way to transfer a page from one publisher file to another. thanks Copy, paste... You can have any number of Publisher documents open, you can drag and drop too. If you have 2007 there is this utility PubCat v1.0.0.0 http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/tools -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "S" <nonense@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:S%AUi.447957$xp6.309362@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > Is there a way to transfer a page from one publisher file to another. > > than...

copying a style from one worksheet to another in the same workbook
All the explanations I've found tell me how to copy a style from one workbook to another, and it looks like they are referring to everything within the originating workbook. What I want to do is, inside the same workbook, open up a new worksheet and duplicate the formatting already in a different worksheet in the same workbook. Can someone tell me how to do this, I'm using Excel 2002. John On Dec 2, 10:18=A0pm, "jbclem" <jbcl...@charter.net> wrote: > All the explanations I've found tell me how to copy a style from one > workbook to another, and it look...

PWA view with a filter using text10 custom field
Is it possible to use the text10 field in a filter for a PWA view? I understand the text10 field has a field_type_enum value of 21 and that the filter would use the enumeration instead of the string value. How can I find the enumerated value for the values? In other words if on the client side I would filter by the string ADS on the server side in the view I would need to use a number. Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Build a Cross-Browser ASP.NET CSS-Only Menu UserControl http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/f32b452c-48ea-4ed8-96ce-d17d1b482676/...

Tab
Tab is supposed to move one cell to the right. Mine moves from column A to S, to AK to BC and so on. It always moves in hughe ranges. The arrow works, however, I am used to the TAB and want to continue using that. Ther is nothing in the set-up screens that would indicate this possibility. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks for helping Click on Tools/Options in Excel's menu bar, then select the Transition tab and uncheck the CheckBox labeled "Transition navigation keys". Rick "Dies-und-Das" <DiesundDas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E119...

displaying a comment only when the cell is selected
I'd like to insert a comment in a certain cell, so that when that cell is selected by a user, the comment is then displayed. I know this must be possible, but I haven't been able to figure it out.... I can show or hide comments in various combinations, but can't find a way to hide the comment UNTIL the cell is selected, and then display it. How do I do this please?! Thanks Hi! Use Data Validation. Select the cell Goto Data>Validation Select the Input message tab Type in your message OK out The message will only be displayed when that cell is selected. (no mouse ov...

Secure one Worksheet only but not the Workbook
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_018C_01C60E01.EA0155B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is there a way to make one worksheet protected so that it can't even be = opened without a password. Employees will have access to several = worksheets in a workbook, but the results will be summarized on a = separate worksheet that will be accessible only to management. How best = can I accomplish this? I see that there is a way to make a worksheet = invisible, but don't know how to control th...

server based message rules
I would like to ask some questions about server based message rules. Which group would be best for this type of information? Thanks This one or microsoft.public.outlook.general would probably be fine "GSP@DCS" <info@dcs.com> wrote in message news:15c80$430c5801$d1a8fa82$20852@EDELTACOM.COM... >I would like to ask some questions about server based message rules. Which >group would be best for this type of information? ...

cursor stuck on one cell
Somehow the cursor is stuck on one cell. If I hit the up, down, right or left arrow key, the whole sheet shifts around but the same cell remains highlighted. I tried freezing and unfreezing panes, that doesn't seem to be the issue. Please help. Tom, Turn off the Scroll Lock key, located above the HOME and END keys. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Tom Lee" <tomlee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:736801c3e759$add4b5d0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Somehow the cursor is stuck on one cel...

Why is excel 2007 slow when selecting chart data from the formula
Excel 2007 is very slow when selecting chart data from the formula bar. For example 8, X-Y scatter graph curves are generated from data base of approximately 2000 lines long x 2 columns. A convienient way to edit the cell references for each curve is to simply click onto a curve and the cell references will appear in the formula bar. With all earlier versions of excel including 2003, once the curve is clicked the cell reference appears in the formula bar almost instantaneously. However when the same method is used with excel 2007, it can take 10-20 seconds before the formular appears. ...

Select ALL filter in one fell swoop
Sometimes it is difficult to see all the columns which has a filter applied, is there a convenient way to select the ALL option on a filter for all the filters in the sheet. I do not want to remove the filter only have a handy way of not having the filter applied. there could be up to 6 columns filtered on the sheet at the same time. Choose Data>Filter>Show All Pat wrote: > Sometimes it is difficult to see all the columns which has a filter > applied, is there a convenient way to select the ALL option on a filter for > all the filters in the sheet. I do not want to remov...