filling a control in a continuous form with a field from a table

I had posted this under "Access Reports" in error and received a response and
responded.  Please follow the dialog for an explaination of my question:

Original Question:
I have a form with the fields: date, client, atty, time, billable and
description. All these fields update the Time Sheet Table.

I want the atty field to automatically take the attorney's name from the
table Attorney which contains one field called Atty.

So for I can only figure out how to use a combo box to chose the Attorney
table field.

Response Received:
Your combo box to select the atty value can be set to display the atty, the
name, or both based on the Row Source, Column Count, and Column Widths. You
only want to store the atty field.

Response to Response:
I do that now. I want to eliminate the combo box. I want the control to
show the atty's initials without having to use a combo box. Example: when
the user opens the form the would see: Date: blank box, Client: blank
box, Atty: DH (using your initials for this example), Time: blank box,
and the user would input the info. The initials (DH) displayed in the Atty
control I am trying to use the source Attorney Table, Atty Field in the
Table. I can not figure out how to do this. With the combo box I am using
now the user selects the atty's initials from the drop down list. In this
case the list would list only one set of initials, DH, which is the only
atty stored in the Attorney Table.
Is there a solution?

Create a query that joins your Time Sheet table to your Attorney table and
use that query as the recordsource for your form.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

"m galvin" <mgalvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had posted this under "Access Reports" in error and received a response
>and
> responded.  Please follow the dialog for an explaination of my question:
>
> Original Question:
> I have a form with the fields: date, client, atty, time, billable and
> description. All these fields update the Time Sheet Table.
>
> I want the atty field to automatically take the attorney's name from the
> table Attorney which contains one field called Atty.
>
> So for I can only figure out how to use a combo box to chose the Attorney
> table field.
>
> Response Received:
> Your combo box to select the atty value can be set to display the atty,
> the
> name, or both based on the Row Source, Column Count, and Column Widths.
> You
> only want to store the atty field.
>
> Response to Response:
> I do that now. I want to eliminate the combo box. I want the control to
> show the atty's initials without having to use a combo box. Example: when
> the user opens the form the would see: Date: blank box, Client: blank
> box, Atty: DH (using your initials for this example), Time: blank box,
> stops
> and the user would input the info. The initials (DH) displayed in the Atty
> control I am trying to use the source Attorney Table, Atty Field in the
> Table. I can not figure out how to do this. With the combo box I am using
> now the user selects the atty's initials from the drop down list. In this
> case the list would list only one set of initials, DH, which is the only
> atty stored in the Attorney Table.
> Is there a solution?

0
Douglas
3/31/2010 2:32:26 PM
high quality Soccer jerseys NBA Jersey tracksuit and jackets, GHD
hairstraightener supplier from www.willpa.com

Are you a Retail businessman who bother by the purchase price?  China
Cheapest TOP wholesale website can help you

we are specialize in replica sport goods manufacturing in china, we can
offer you all kinds of soccer jersey, NBA jersey,shoes and so on. they are
the best brand replica goods whih are look the same as the original goods.
excellent quality and steady supply for them. we have been marketed in Europe
and American for 3 year. all the goods we offer are AAA quality.  our soccer
jersey are Thailand style. If any goods you buy from my company have problem,
we will refund or resend them again. Most of ourProducts have no minimum
order requirements,soyou can shop retail goods at wholesale prices. if you
can buy more than 300usd. We offer free shipping. The more you buy the more
discount for you.

National soccer jerseys: http://www.willpa.com
Club soccer jerseys: http://www.willpa.com
NBA Jerseys: http://www.willpa.com
T-shirt and shirt: http://www.willpa.com
Tracksuit: http://www.willpa.com
Hoody & Jackets: http://www.willpa.com
UGG boots: http://www.willpa.com
Hair style: http://www.willpa.com
shopping Index: http://www.willpa.com

EMS shipping.  7days arrive, paypal accept

want more information pls contact us or check our website: www.willpa.com

Calender Fields
How can i create a date field where the user defines the date using a calender. Hi Faiz, Go to settings/customizations/ select the entity you want to add the field to. Click on attributes/ click new/after you give it name select the attribute type/ select date/time. Save and close\ publish Regards, Jarrett http://www.dynamics.com ...

Launching Form from another Form
Hi guys, I am sure there are a few ways, but what is the preferred way to launch a Form from another? When my user saves a new Case, I want to pop up the Contact form. -Ernst Ernst Kuschke (C# MVP) wrote: > Hi guys, > > I am sure there are a few ways, but what is the preferred way to launch > a Form from another? When my user saves a new Case, I want to pop up > the Contact form. > > -Ernst FWIW, a "Contact Form" can be displayed by navigating to the aspx page at "./SFA/conts/edit.aspx?id={contactGuid}" -Ernst ------=_NextPart_0001_08B36A04 Con...

HOW TO SORT A PIVOT TABLE
How to automatically make that the pivot tables sorts data by itself. Every time a change one value it mixes up my figures.... Right click in the field to be sorted to get a menu Click Field Click Advanced Choose the sort option. Regards BrianB ============================================= "Alex" <alexdfsvsdffgdfgsdg@skynet.be> wrote in message news:<e6Ur9J3hDHA.1692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>... > How to automatically make that the pivot tables sorts data by itself. Every > time a change one value it mixes up my figures.... THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH "Br...

Script terminates - how to continue
So I have this script that goes through a list of remote servers and adds registry keys. When it hits a server that doesn't exist, the below error message is generated. The script then stops but I want it to continue if it hits such a problem. I am using Powershell 2. Completed on loninfra Failed on: servernameA Exception calling "OpenRemoteBaseKey" with "2" argument(s): "The network path was not found. " __________________________________________________________________________ Here is the script: $ErrorActionPreference = "Continue" ...

Control can't be edited; it's bound to a replication system column 'TableName'.
I have an Access 2007 accdb database. It hast a table in it with field names TableName and FieldName and a bunch of others. This table has had a small number of records added to it (37) over the life of the database. Suddenly, the two fields TableName and FieldName cannot be edited. That is even if the table is open as a table and you try to type a new record. When you do that an error message is briefly displayed in the left hand end of the Access main window's status bar. For example if you try to input anything into the TableName field you will be blocked and you will briefl...

Auto Update in Forms
Please help. I am totally terrible in Access and need simple instructions. I have a form that all it has is the employee name control and the employee id number control listed like this: requestor (employee name) tag number (employee id) Can someone give me a simple method for putting in the requestor name and the tag number will pop up automatically. Created a query called qrytaguser which has both fields in it to try to make this happen. Read several forums, but I don't understand VBA code to translate the suggestions. Thanks in advance. -- Johnny ...

My forms will not work with my email when I click submit.
Sending Form Data via E-mail, it will open up my Email but, the data is NOT contained in the body of the e-mail message. The e-mail address I entered for the ACTION attribute shows up. BUT NOT DATA IS CONTAINED IN THE BODY. ***************************** <FORM METHOD=POST ENCTYPE="text/plain" ACTION="pamjck@juno.com"> Name: <INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="name"> <INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="submit button"> ******************************** why is my Email NOT working anymore and adding the data to the body of the e-mail ...

Link subform ID control
Link subform ID control Using Access =9203=85 I have a form with one subform. The subform holds an ID field/control (called synopsisID) and a textbox for narrative entries (memo datatype called synopsis). The main form and subform are properly linked in the Child/Master field setting (synopsisID to synopsisID). My question/issue is how to update the synopsisID textbox on the main form when it=92s assigned (by autonum) in the subform. I tried the after update event of the synopsisID on the subform, but couldn=92t get it to populate the main form. Maybe there=92s a better ...

ALTER TABLE statements showing up in my stored procedures
Hi, Recently, I noticed some ALTER TABLE statements in my stored procedures. I have no idea where they came from. The only thing I can think of is that I do generate scripts to keep my local copy of the database where I develop my application and the production server in sync. I think these statements started showing up after I upgraded to SQL Server 2008 R2 (full version on production server and Express on the local machine). I just tried removing them from one of my stored procedures and they came right back. I then deleted the stored procedure and recreated it without t...

Updating all Fields in Word Document
I need to update all fields in the Word document. I have some of the fields in drawing canvas too. I have tried this, which works fine, but except drawing canvas. http://word.tips.net/Pages/T003879_Updating_a_Field_in_a_Text_Box.html Thank you -- Regards Jan Kratochvil Windows Vista Business SP2, Office 2007 SP 2 Sub UpdateAllFields() Dim oStory As Range For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges oStory.Fields.Update If oStory.StoryType <> wdMainTextStory Then While Not (oStory.NextStoryRange Is Nothing) Set oStory = oStory.NextStoryRange ...

Prevent auto recoloring of chart when using Pivot Table data
I have crated a Pivot tabel with data I want to show in a Chart. My problem is when I refresh data the colours of the "data series" changes. For exaple I want one of my series "OK" always be shown in green colour, but after a refresh of pivot all colours changes. This problem is not only colouring. If I have made changes to my chart so that one series ar plotted on a secondary axis, and I change it to another chart type (e.g. the secondary should be shown as a line instead of column) this also changes when refreshing the data. Most irritating! Anyone that knows how to p...

League Table
Hello - newbie poster here. I've been scouring this group during my current project and found much useful information - thanks to all. However I've come to a halt and need to ask for help on a specific question. I have a spreadsheet working out the Rugby Zurich Premiership scores (LOTS of formulae entering!). The ultimate is to display an automatically calculating league table from the datasheet. I've used the LARGE function to order the points for each team and VLOOKUP to pull in the corresponding team name, games won, lost, drawn, points for and against and the goal differen...

converting plain data to table format
It has been a while since I used excel but I am almost sure there is a way to convert just plain rows and columns of data into a table format. This way I believe that adding rows to this block of data is as simple as tabbing after the last cell and it should just drop down to the next row and insert one??? correct?? Excel should recognize a contiguous range as a table, or list. Include headings in the first row, and leave at least one blank row and column between the table and other items on the worksheet. You can use the built-in data form to add records to the table (Data>Form). Or,...

Preventing users from saving forms into unprotected formats
I need to stop users from saving forms into unprotected formats, e.g. RTF (believe it or not, my users like to mess about with form layout, creating business interoperability problems) I have successfully intercepted the FileSave and FileSaveAs commands. I also need to intercept the Save As dialog which comes up for a new dialog when the file is closed, so I'm using a BeforeDocumentClose event handler. I would like them to be able to choose not to save, so I give them a YesNoCancel message, but I can't prevent the regular message coming up if they click No on my message...

Updating a form after using a workflow rule to update the entity.
I have a workflow rule that, on create of a contact, calls an assembly and updates an attribute of that assembly. It works a treat, but after saving, the attribute does not appear in the form. I have to close and re-open the contact to see the attribute. Is there any way to have this display immediately? Thanks Saira ...

SQLDataAdapter Fill with startRecord parameter
Hi. I can't unserstand how startRecord works; i think there is a problem. I'm using maxrecord=5. If i put zero 0, the dataset is filled with all values in table (rows.count is = @@rowcount) If i put 1 the dataset is filled only with 5 values, but row is not the first one in the table, is the second! If i put 2 the dataset is filled only with 5 values, but row is not the first one in the table, is the third! .... and so on. So MSDN says that startRecord is 0-based index... that seems to be true but in this way we lost our first record !! ...

Editing field properties
Hi everyone, I need to change the properties of a lot of StyleRef fields, but am not sure how to go about it. Where a StyleRef refers to "Heading 1" I need it to refer to "Heading 2". The fields are mainly in headers and footers, but could be anywhere in a document. -- Stephenc The first step is to press Alt+F9 to display all the field codes in the document. The StyleRef field codes will probably look like { STYLEREF "Heading 1" \* MERGEFORMAT } although the keywords may be lower case or mixed case if some of the fields were created manu...

Multiple fields in stLinkCriteria
On form_1, I have a subform. I want to access form_2 using data from form1 and its subform. On the subform 'double_click() I coded: Dim stLinkCriteria As String stLinkCriteria = "([field_a] = """ & Me![field_a] & _ """) AND ([field_b] = """ & [form1].[field_b] & """)" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria The result is an error diolog: Microsoft Office Access can't find the field '|' referred to in your expression. field_a and field_b are the 'keys' f...

Change multple table names
I have over 100 similar worksheets with two tables on each sheet, currently with excel inscrutable names. I would like to automatically change the names of the tables to reflect two things: 1. the name of the worksheet 2. conatentate sfr on the first table in the sheet and ct to the second table on the sheet. I've spent the last four hours searching the internet and playing around with this to no avail. Recording a macro gives me this: Range("Table.AthertonSFR[[#Headers],[Date]]").Select ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Table811131517192123").Name = &q...

Automatic open locked excel file through access control
We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. On Jul 10, 8:43 pm, "shiro" <s...@play.com> wrote: > We know,Excel has prompt password > to open it files. > Is it possible to create a code that can > supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we > open the excel file throu...

Pivot Table Problem #14
Hi All! I am using Excel 2003. I created a report by connecting to a OLAP cube having many Calculated members. When I am trying to group the members of a dimension which is connected to a cube,I am unable to see any of my calculated measure. Can anyone help in this regard..... Thanks in Advance Siv ...

Basic Fill Handle
Hi, here's a plain example of what I'm trying to do: In cell B1 is the formula: =A1 In cell B2 is the formula: =A1 In cell B3 is the formula: =A2 In cell B4 is the formula: =A2 In cell B5 is the forumla: =A3 In cell B6 is the formula: =A3 (we can see where this is heading..) The problem I have is that I want to use the fill handle to copy this series down a whole column, however Excel just won't see the pattern here! (or I'm missing something obvious) Help please!!!! :confused: -- jhct ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jhct's Pr...

Reading an XML 'Field'

Custom name in "from field" in Inbox
Hi, I would like to show custom name on from field in my inbox. By that I mean, I would like to change the way of display name when receive emails. Sometimes, I receive without display name and only shows email address I would like to show my defined name for that. Is there any way to do? Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com JoeBlack <JoeBlack.15roa7@outlookforum-nospam_.com> wrote: > Sometimes, I receive without display name and only show...

Programmatically change an existing Pivot Table
Hello to everyone, wondering if someone has figure out how to change existing Pivot Tables. Once a pivot table is been created the SourceData is read only. Creating a new pivot table using VBA is too complex and time-expensive. Any suggestions? >Once a pivot table is been created the SourceData is read only. Naah. I've managed to update SourceData and refresh my pivot tables programatically (a whole set of 20+ pivot tables, actually). If I remember correctly, the hoop I had to jump through was making sure the string I fed SourceData was in the *exact* correct format. It's ...