Duplicate form - Stamp New Date

I am trying to copy a form that holds a vehicle's information, it's current
assignment, etc...
What I need to do is when the vehicle's infor is changed (for example,
assignment) I need to copy to duplicate the date and stamp the date of
"change" but also keeping the history of where the vehicle was previously
assigned.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

0
norm

My initial impression is that your table structure is not normalized... that
you're storing a separate, complete record for a vehicle for each
assignment. Instead, what you should have is a table that holds just the
assignments for each vehicle, linked back to the main vehicle table by the
vehicle's ID field. Then, you would create a new record in the assignments
table for that vehicle, and you wouldn't need to copy any of the main data
to a new record.

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"norm" <normkara.remove@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to copy a form that holds a vehicle's information, it's current
>assignment, etc...
> What I need to do is when the vehicle's infor is changed (for example,
> assignment) I need to copy to duplicate the date and stamp the date of
> "change" but also keeping the history of where the vehicle was previously
> assigned.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated

0
Ken
1/25/2008 7:50:47 PM
The problem with this there is more information then just assignments that
has to perserved, I need to duplicate the record:
But first I must mark the original as "Inactive" duplicate the form and
data, make the changes and mark it as "active" this way I have the complete
history of assignments of the specific vehicle. The problem I have is I
inherited this Data Base originally written in DBase IV and that is how it
is set up, so I have 2 tables one "active" and one "assignments" and I need
to perserve the exitsing data. I have a primary key based on VIN number
(Vehicle Indentification Number).

My initial impression is that your table structure is not normalized... that
you're storing a separate, complete record for a vehicle for each
assignment. Instead, what you should have is a table that holds just the
assignments for each vehicle, linked back to the main vehicle table by the
vehicle's ID field. Then, you would create a new record in the assignments
table for that vehicle, and you wouldn't need to copy any of the main data
to a new record.

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"norm" <normkara.remove@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to copy a form that holds a vehicle's information, it's current
>assignment, etc...
> What I need to do is when the vehicle's infor is changed (for example,
> assignment) I need to copy to duplicate the date and stamp the date of
> "change" but also keeping the history of where the vehicle was previously
> assigned.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated

0
norm
1/26/2008 10:25:57 AM
Ken's advice still holds true! You're violating the Cardinal Rule of
Relational Databases by unnecessarily storing duplicate data!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
1/26/2008 2:18:25 PM
Your unnormalized database structure will continue to cause you major pain
as you find more things that need to updated.

It's not clear from your information where you want to put the "inactive"
record. Is that being put into another table? Or in the same table? If in
the same table, how do you handle duplicate primary key (VIN) values when
you add a new "active" record?

And, how do you want to trigger this "mark the current record inactive and
make a new record as the active one"?
--

> The problem with this there is more information then just assignments that
> has to perserved, I need to duplicate the record:
> But first I must mark the original as "Inactive" duplicate the form and
> data, make the changes and mark it as "active" this way I have the
> complete history of assignments of the specific vehicle. The problem I
> have is I inherited this Data Base originally written in DBase IV and that
> is how it is set up, so I have 2 tables one "active" and one "assignments"
> and I need to perserve the exitsing data. I have a primary key based on
> VIN number (Vehicle Indentification Number).
>

> My initial impression is that your table structure is not normalized...
> that
> you're storing a separate, complete record for a vehicle for each
> assignment. Instead, what you should have is a table that holds just the
> assignments for each vehicle, linked back to the main vehicle table by the
> vehicle's ID field. Then, you would create a new record in the assignments
> table for that vehicle, and you wouldn't need to copy any of the main data
> to a new record.
>
> --
>
>        Ken Snell
> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>

> "norm" <normkara.remove@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I am trying to copy a form that holds a vehicle's information, it's
>>current assignment, etc...
>> What I need to do is when the vehicle's infor is changed (for example,
>> assignment) I need to copy to duplicate the date and stamp the date of
>> "change" but also keeping the history of where the vehicle was previously
>> assigned.
>> Any help will be greatly appreciated

0
Ken

Convert weekno to a date
I have a week no. (say week 2) in cell A4 and I want to convert that to the Fiday of that week (in cell B7) in the format Fri 14th Jan 2005. Could anybody tell me how to achieve this please. See if this is something you can work with: A4: 2 (The week number) A5: 2005 (The year..you didn't mention if the formula might apply to other years) B7: =DATE(A5,1,CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(DATE(A5,1,1),2),5,4,3,2,1,7,6)+(A4-1)*7) Does that help? •••••••••• Regards, Ron "Box666" wrote: > I have a week no. (say week 2) in cell A4 and I want to convert that > to the Fiday of that week ...

Any word on CRM 1.2 release date?
Has anyone heard a firm release date yet for CRM version 1.2? And will CRM 1.2 work with SBS2003 that was just released? -kw "Jim" <jim@nospam.com> wrote in message news:ehxGoPvnDHA.644@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Has anyone heard a firm release date yet for CRM version 1.2? > > This depends on where you are based. I've just got home from an MS course, and we told that in Australia it will release to the partners at the conference late next month, and will be released to customers on 12/1/04. It was also confirmed that it will run on SBS2003 - it will ru...

On-line services set up failed with "new & improved" Money update
Money 2005 Premium: with the mid-August unannounced update by Microsoft, I lost my ability to go on-line. I reviewed the instructions inside Money and tried to re-set the on-line service but I'm now in a loop that doesn't seem to have any way to back out of it or to move forward successfully. Instead of disabling the account first, which is listed in the long, weary icon version of the update instructions, I went to set up online services and now have the message "complete setup for online services" which apparently will not work because I consistently get a message ...

date problem #10
Thanks a lot, Dave This piece of code works great. M P Redd -- mpredd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mpreddy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1327 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26358 ...

Duplication of labels within pivot table
I am using a cvs file to copy & paste data into a workbook (not saving the file as an excel document and then coping & pasting into the workbook). This workbook is updated weekly from the same hard format reporting system with current information only - all other aspects of the report remain the same. I am seeing duplication of the labels within my pivot table. It seems that the information is being recorded as stacked data not as continuious data within my data base. Could this be caused by the copy & paste directly from the cvs file rather then from an excel file. At this tim...

New Entity Question
I created a new entity in CRM. After creation, by default, I have the following options under the Actions menu when a new object is created: Actions > Delete; Actions > Deactivate How do I get a "close"/"resolve" option to appear under Actions? (Ex: the way it appears under Cases, Activities, etc...) On the form of my new entity, I have a Regarding field so I'm able to track these objects in CRM. I would like to be able to keep the history in CRM, so I don't want to delete or deactivate these objects. Any advice? Thanks! ...

active form name
Hello!! What function returns active form name? Thanks!! Cesar There is no function to return the current field, window or form name. You can track the specific windows you are interested in using PRE triggers to set a global variable with the name or id or the current window. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Business Solutions http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions polic...

Pulling data for a report from a form
Hi, I have a product report list that want to show the on hand qty. so i have this formula in a report field: =onHand([pkProductID],Forms!FrmMyDate!InvDateQty) but when i preview the report it shows #name? instead. Thank you -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/200912/1 To refer to a textbox on another (open) form, use: =Forms!FrmMyDate!InvDateQty -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "josros60 via AccessMonster.com" <u56159@uw...

create new users STRANGE problem
Hi, I'm developing a web application (using standard asp and not asp.net) to let certain remote users administer exchange 2003. I have installed win2003 standard edition, exchange 2003 enterprise edition,owa and my web application on the same server. My web app, let users to create mailboxes, delete mailboxes, change user password. All works fine, but for example, if I reboot the server, a web application user can create 50 mailboxes. But when any of these users log on to owa, something goes wrong and the admin user cannot mailbox enable other user accounts through the web app, even if he ...

Duplicate Contacts
I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS. I am very new to the Outlook that comes with Microsoft Office 2003. I had made a contact list of members in our church. Our Pastor had the same list, however he had entered some additional information to some of the contacts. We used a sync program to synchronize our Outlooks. But when we did that, we both got duplicate entries showing up on both of our computers. Some of my entries have different information on them than the Pastor's entries. Is there a way to delete the duplicate entries and still have all the information from both entries show up on ju...

duplicate emails being sent
I have a couple of computers that are sending duplicate emails only when they are sending to more than one recipient. Any idea why this is happening? Jeff ...

copy date in a cell if within a date range
Column M is a listing of percentages Column A is various dates, anywhere from Jan 1, 1998 to the present. I need to copy the contents of let's say M3 into cell T3 is the date in cell A3 is any date in the year 2010. If the date is in another year, leave cell T3 blank Thanks "carrerapaolo" wrote: > Column M is a listing of percentages > > Column A is various dates, anywhere from Jan 1, 1998 to the present. > > I need to copy the contents of let's say M3 into cell T3 is the date in cell > A3 is any date in the year 2010. If the ...

MOving CRM to new domain 12-01-03
We are in teh process of changing over to a new domain and need to migrate our CRM server to the new domain. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if a Tech article or paper on how to do this? Thanks In Advance! Microsoft currently say its not possible as per the article i have pasted below. The only way i can think of doing this is installing a parallel CRM system and have code look at the data and migrate between the two systems by creating new objects on the new CRM system. The data migration framework may help but that may also be dependant on the domain being the same etc ...

GST Tax Forms for New Zealand
Hi there, I have recently prchased Money 2005 Standard, ans the box has big claims about it being able to track GST on purchases etc. That all seems to be working well, except I cannot get the GST information out of it at all. How do I setup my tax forms to give me the totals that I need for my GST return? Thanks in advance Jerome Brown Dear Jerome, I also would like to display the GST in a final report. Did you have any luck elsewhere? Marcus "Jerome Brown" wrote: > Hi there, > > I have recently prchased Money 2005 Standard, ans the box has big claims > about...

Bill Summary skips Apay due dates
I know I saw something about this some time ago but I can't find the info anymore. Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Version 16.0.120.1303 Bank - Wachovia Issue: I have 2 monthly Apays that I set up on Wachovia's website which were downloaded into Money's Bill Summary. I looked today and, though the next payment that hadn't posted to the register should be due 10/20/2008 the Due Date showing in Bill Summary was 3/20/2009. I've canceled the Apays and re-created them but I know this is a chronic issue. I already went through the full file repair process a while ago and ...

New CRM Database Views
I am need of creating a new CRM view to handle some report requirements. I have read that views that use views are supported and I have read that I need to create a new database adjacent to the CRM database. How are any of youh hanlding New CRM Database Views? If you scroll down the CRM tables in OrganizationName_MSCRM database then you will see the ffiltered views of table. I have created Reports in Business intelligence by using existing views of CRM . These views correspond to the security role of crm users. /Aamir Hello there, It's a good practice to create a new database to hol...

FREE New Indian oil for men!
Free Indian oil promotion for men! 100% free trial bottle, safe and great fun! Tel : 91-22-24449309/56663081 MURLI WAGHULDE ...

Transfering to new EXCH Server.
We are trying to transfer to a new Exchange 2003 server so we can reformat the old machine. Mailbox transfers are complete and the new box is hooked up internally and to our outgoing IP. I am able to receive mail from outside the network, but all outgoing mail is stuck in the queue. I have set the Virtual Smtp server to all unassigned, and I have nothing in routing. Im not very familiar with these settings. Is the problem the old exchange server? Is there a way to remove it without uninstalling exchange from the old machine? My non deliverables come back with this error message. ...

new blank doc
I some how corrupted my blank doc. When I go to file and open. I get a blank doc with 3 cloums saying next record. How can I get my blank doc back so that I can do my work? Thank you itropier While this newsgroup is for Microsoft .NET (dotnet) questions, you should locate the hidden system file called "normal.dot" and delete it. -Scott "new blank doc" <newblankdoc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95C60997-1B8B-4831-BB69-A56A9B1CBC8B@microsoft.com... >I some how corrupted my blank doc. When I go to file and open. I get a >...

new...delete not work in MFC ? Why ?
Hi, Check out the following code char* t=new char[1000]; t="sdfsdf"; delete t; at delete t; statement , MSVC 6.0 MFC application generates Abort: Unhandled exception Why? Help ! sandSpiderX > Hi, > > > Check out the following code > char* t=new char[1000]; > t="sdfsdf"; > delete t; > > The rule is simple, if you use "new [...] then you must use delete []" and if you use new ... then simply call delete ... In your case you need to do delete [] t; ....but that's not the end of your problems. "char * t&...

Date Problem #2
Hi All Please can someone advise me what to do, I have a date in a textbox where I am using the AddDate method to increment the day , but I am getting strange results. Is this because the US date? if so how do I change this to work for the UK date? Any help would be greatly appreciated regards Subs Hiya- i'm not sure what formula you're using- I put a random date in A1 and pasted the following formula in B1 & C1: =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)+1) it increased the day by 1 in both cells. I then changed the format to UK and it worked just fine. Is this what you're l...

Text to Date
I have been given a database dump (thousands of rows) that put the dates in a text format like this: Aug/11/2009 Is there any way to put this into a date format? Even if it means creating a new field breaking it up and doing some extra steps. Thanks. Change to appropriate cell reference: =DATEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",", ")) -- Best Regards, Luke M "PAL" <PAL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E5E64F4-8B6A-44D5-95C9-8FD45A326DB3@microsoft.com... >I have been given a database dump (thousands of rows) that put the da...

Expiration Date on Trial Period
Is there a way to determine what the expiration date of a trial period installation is? ------=_NextPart_0001_3829F12C Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Cindy, Thanks for posting in. This is Ken in Online Partner Support. The trial program will be expired in 90 days from installation date so why don't you confirm the installation date? If you use Windows Server 2008, you are able to confirm the date from Programs and Features and if you use Windows Server 2003, how about check the create date of install folder? Kind Regards, Ken Microsoft Online Partne...

Want to see only specific number of records on a form
Hi I have a form with default view as "Continuous Forms". When I openthis form I only want to see the records equal to Recordcount i.e. ifI have 3 records I should only see three records. I dont want to seean extra one record which is blank. The easy way is simply to set the allow additions to "no".(you will still be able to add records via a code, or perhaps a "add" button you provide.Or, perhaps you don't even need add record ability...Anyway...give the above a try..it will remove that extra "new record" entry....-- Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)...

Date formats, culture and globalization
Hi, ASP.NET 3.5 We are creating a 3-tier ASP.NET Web Application that needs just to understand dates as UK shortdate format (dd/MM/yyyy). It will only be used in the UK on intranet. I often come across web server and client machine that are incorrectly set up so I want to protect the app from these incorrectly set up hosts. I understand the safe date formats for passing through to the database. SQLParameters pass through a non-ambiguous format and also that 'yyyyMMdd' is also a safe format. So ignore the database side of things - I get that. At the moment all the bou...