Do Option Groups Offer an OTHER Option that Users Can Add Themselves?

Hello, I'm using Access 2003 on a novice level.

I have a question about option groups.

I'd like to know if it's possible to create a set of radio buttons,
check boxes, and/or drop-down lists, with an OTHER option that lets
the user enter a new value.

I know that's possible with Filemaker Pro.  If you enable the OTHER
option, a popup window appears that lets you add a new item to the
list.  I'm not sure if that applies only to drop-down lists, but it
has come in handy at times.

Can it be done with Access?

If so, what are the rudimentary steps to accomplishing this?

Thank you very much.

T. Hulot

Yes, you can do this.

You will need an additional field in your table to store the value of Other

You will need code to make the control bound to the other field visible (or
enabled)  when the Other item (check, radio button, List, etc). is selected.
The code will need to run both in form's Current event and in the Update
event of the control where you select the other option.

If you have a continuous form, you should be able to use conditional
formatting to control enabling/disabling the control to enter the other
value.

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2008

"T. Hulot" <tatihulot@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I'm using Access 2003 on a novice level.
>
> I have a question about option groups.
>
> I'd like to know if it's possible to create a set of radio buttons,
> check boxes, and/or drop-down lists, with an OTHER option that lets
> the user enter a new value.
>
> I know that's possible with Filemaker Pro.  If you enable the OTHER
> option, a popup window appears that lets you add a new item to the
> list.  I'm not sure if that applies only to drop-down lists, but it
> has come in handy at times.
>
> Can it be done with Access?
>
> If so, what are the rudimentary steps to accomplishing this?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> T. Hulot

0
John
2/29/2008 4:33:33 PM
Hi John, thanks for replying.

I'm a bit of a novice, so please bear with me.

I haven't learned about binding controls to fields yet.
Maybe I'm a step ahead of myself?

Anyway...what sort of code are you referring to?  Do I have to write
VBA code, or can the code be created by my making some selections or
choices in a wizard or screen?

Does it require the Expression Builder, or something else?

Honestly, I'm not really sure if I have a continuous form.  The
database is simple, with only a few fields, and it's strictly
flat-file.

Is this task I'm attempting easy enough for a novice to do?

Thank you!

>Yes, you can do this.
>
>You will need an additional field in your table to store the value of Other
>
>You will need code to make the control bound to the other field visible (or
>enabled)  when the Other item (check, radio button, List, etc). is selected.
>The code will need to run both in form's Current event and in the Update
>event of the control where you select the other option.
>
>If you have a continuous form, you should be able to use conditional
>formatting to control enabling/disabling the control to enter the other
>value.

You can use Conditional Formatting if you are willing to see the "OTHER"
field on the form, but it is greyed out.  Otherwise, you will need some VBA
code to do this.

If you can see more than one record at a time on your screen then you have a
continuous form.  If you have to press a button to change records then you
probably do not have a continuous form.

If you enter data into a form and it is saved, then you have a bound form.
The form is tied to a query or to a table.

Add a new option "OTHER" to your option group.- I'll assume the Option Group
is named Frame22.

Add a new field fldOther to your table (and your query if you are using a
query as the source for the form.
Add a textbox control to your form - (name txtOther)
Click on the textbox and then select Format: Conditional Formatting
In the dialog box, select "Expression Is" from the combobox
Type the following into the blank text box  - if your choice for other is
some other value than 2 then put that in the exprssion.
    [Frame22] = 2

IF the frame is bound to a field then use the field name instead of the name
of the control [Frame22] would become something like
   [PlantType] = 8   'Where 8 is the value you are storing for Other.

If you use a combobox with text values then
   [Combobox] = "Other"

CLick on the Enable/Disable button (last button in the group)

--

> Hi John, thanks for replying.
>
> I'm a bit of a novice, so please bear with me.
>
> I haven't learned about binding controls to fields yet.
> Maybe I'm a step ahead of myself?
>
> Anyway...what sort of code are you referring to?  Do I have to write
> VBA code, or can the code be created by my making some selections or
> choices in a wizard or screen?
>
> Does it require the Expression Builder, or something else?
>
> Honestly, I'm not really sure if I have a continuous form.  The
> database is simple, with only a few fields, and it's strictly
> flat-file.
>
> Is this task I'm attempting easy enough for a novice to do?
>
> Thank you!
>
>>Yes, you can do this.
>>
>>You will need an additional field in your table to store the value of
>>Other
>>
>>You will need code to make the control bound to the other field visible
>>(or
>>enabled)  when the Other item (check, radio button, List, etc). is
>>selected.
>>The code will need to run both in form's Current event and in the Update
>>event of the control where you select the other option.
>>
>>If you have a continuous form, you should be able to use conditional
>>formatting to control enabling/disabling the control to enter the other
>>value.

0
John
2/29/2008 8:33:16 PM
John,

Thanks for following up with me.

I'll try this over the weekend, and I'll let you know how things turn
out.

>You can use Conditional Formatting if you are willing to see the "OTHER"
>field on the form, but it is greyed out.  Otherwise, you will need some VBA
>code to do this.

Multi Currency Revaluation Option
We have a cash account in Canada. The amount is reflected properly in our system in Canadian dollars. We changed the exchange rate at the beginning of the year. We would like to reflect this change on my beginning balances for the year 2005. When I try to run the revaluation for finance series for this account, it doesn't update the beginning balances. How do i update my beginning balances in functional currency? Try running a revalue for the last period of the prior year. Don't post it, just print to make sure it is doing what you want. (You may need to open up the fiscal perio...

Removing multiple users from Outlook

Shortcut to other user's folders
At our office we view other user's folders by: File:Open:Other user's folder... Is there a way to make a shortcut in the "Outlook Shortcuts" pane on the left to one or more of these user's folders? Thanks! Edit: This is in Outlook 2000 ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ bump, nobody? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from ht...

automaticaly create a variable sized table from user input
Hi, How can I user data input to a cell by a user to create a table with that number of rows. eg. User enters 1024 in B2 165 in B3 12.5 in B4 A10 would contain 1, B10 would contain =B3+(A10*$B$4) A11 would contain 2, B11 would contain =B3+(A11*$B$4) etc to 1024 The user entered number in B2 could be any whole number between 1 and 1024 Thanks, Iain I could make this better but other things to do right now so try this. Uncomment the last line to remove the formula and just leave the values. Sub makeformula() Range("a10") = 1 Range("b10").Formula = "=B3+(A10*$B$4)...

can i download lxce serv.exe

Add PowerPoint 2007 to Office Basic

how many receivers i can add

Need to add to current formula

Can't configure Outlook Express

total group & max function
I am using Access 2003 I created a Db for Machine Mtce. The table consists of 3 tables, (1) Basic Mach Infor (ie Mach#, Mach Name, Mfg etc) - (2) Operations Table - consists of different prev mtce (PM) that need to be completed at various time frames. Ex: "Mach 100" could have 3 different operations; Oper # 100A to change the oil due every 90 days, Oper # 100B to check the belts due every 180 days, Oper # 100C to grease the machine due every 365 days. The 3rd table is the "PM History" table which includes the history of all of the PM's completed with Work Order...

what printers can run Vista
just purchased a dell which came with Vista on it. now my printer (HP 5550 deskjet) won't print. I need to find a new printer that i can hook up to the computer. This is an Access newsgroup. We help with questions related to Microsoft Access - the database application that is part of MS Office Professional. -- Rick B "monroe" <monroe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC746826-251A-4097-AF88-2805BCDE7DEC@microsoft.com... > just purchased a dell which came with Vista on it. now my printer (HP > 5550 > deskjet) won't print. I need to...

Sum a group of numbers
When I first started using Excel, if I had a bunch of different totals on a worksheet, I could hold down the right mouse button and cover the group I wanted to add. The sum of these numbers would appear on the bottom of either the worksheet or a task bar. I have lost the ability to do this. Or I have lost the task bar. How do I get it back? Hi Barbie, That would be the status bar. If it is not showing, go to View>Status Bar to turn it on. If the sum function is still not showing, right click anywhere on the status bar and select which option you want. HTH Martin "Barbie...

Re-enabled user account cannot log in
In trying to troubleshoot and issue in CRM where I had multiple user accounts for a single ADUC user, I tried disabling and re-enabling a user's account. But even after re-enabling the account the user cannot log in now. The error message says that it is disallowed when he tries to browse to the CRM server. Please help, I need to get this user account working again asap. Joel ...