Displaying a Word doc in form

I have a form that will be used to enter information submitted to me on Word
files  (comment sheets on procedure reviews).  The files do not lend
themselves to being converted to text files and imported into an access
table.  I would like to be able to click a button, choose the *.doc file from
the directory, select the file and have it display in a field on this data
entry form (linked OLE field?).  I could then cut text (paragraphs) from Word
and paste it into a memo field on the form.  I can program the button to find
the file I want, but that's where I am stuck.

The Access form will catalog all of these comments for use later.  A single
word doc (comment sheet) will have multiple comments that I will put into
individual records in the database.

Essentially, I want to have a Word document displayed on half the form and
the rest of the fields on the other half.  I don't want to have to work
between MS Word and Access (i.e., tile two windows).

Hope this makes some kind of sense.  The more I try to explain it the more
confused I make myself.

try using an unbound object frame and set the SourceDoc
property to the path and filename you want to display

Warm Regards,
Crystal
remote programming and training
http://MSAccessGurus.com

free video tutorials
http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal

Access Basics
http://www.AccessMVP.com/strive4peace
free 100-page book that covers essentials in Access

  *
    (: have an awesome day :)
  *

rbm wrote:
> I have a form that will be used to enter information submitted to me on Word
> files  (comment sheets on procedure reviews).  The files do not lend
> themselves to being converted to text files and imported into an access
> table.  I would like to be able to click a button, choose the *.doc file from
> the directory, select the file and have it display in a field on this data
> entry form (linked OLE field?).  I could then cut text (paragraphs) from Word
> and paste it into a memo field on the form.  I can program the button to find
> the file I want, but that's where I am stuck.
>
> The Access form will catalog all of these comments for use later.  A single
> word doc (comment sheet) will have multiple comments that I will put into
> individual records in the database.
>
> Essentially, I want to have a Word document displayed on half the form and
> the rest of the fields on the other half.  I don't want to have to work
> between MS Word and Access (i.e., tile two windows).
>
> Hope this makes some kind of sense.  The more I try to explain it the more
> confused I make myself.
0
Crystal
11/28/2009 11:42:47 PM
Thank you Crystal.  I had done that and it worked to a point.  Different word
documents will be retrieved to copy over comments.  The one that I link to
the unbound frame seems to want to stick around even when I change the
SourceDoc.  How can I refresh that link and have a newly selected word
document show up?

"Crystal (strive4peace)" wrote:

> try using an unbound object frame and set the SourceDoc
> property to the path and filename you want to display
>
> Warm Regards,
> Crystal
> remote programming and training
> http://MSAccessGurus.com
>
> free video tutorials
> http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal
>
> Access Basics
> http://www.AccessMVP.com/strive4peace
> free 100-page book that covers essentials in Access
>
>   *
>     (: have an awesome day :)
>   *
>

> rbm wrote:
> > I have a form that will be used to enter information submitted to me on Word
> > files  (comment sheets on procedure reviews).  The files do not lend
> > themselves to being converted to text files and imported into an access
> > table.  I would like to be able to click a button, choose the *.doc file from
> > the directory, select the file and have it display in a field on this data
> > entry form (linked OLE field?).  I could then cut text (paragraphs) from Word
> > and paste it into a memo field on the form.  I can program the button to find
> > the file I want, but that's where I am stuck.
> >
> > The Access form will catalog all of these comments for use later.  A single
> > word doc (comment sheet) will have multiple comments that I will put into
> > individual records in the database.
> >
> > Essentially, I want to have a Word document displayed on half the form and
> > the rest of the fields on the other half.  I don't want to have to work
> > between MS Word and Access (i.e., tile two windows).
> >
> > Hope this makes some kind of sense.  The more I try to explain it the more
> > confused I make myself.
> .

What is the code you are using to change it?

Is this a continuous form?

rbm wrote:
> Thank you Crystal.  I had done that and it worked to a point.  Different word
> documents will be retrieved to copy over comments.  The one that I link to
> the unbound frame seems to want to stick around even when I change the
> SourceDoc.  How can I refresh that link and have a newly selected word
> document show up?
>
> "Crystal (strive4peace)" wrote:
>
>> try using an unbound object frame and set the SourceDoc
>> property to the path and filename you want to display
>>
>> Warm Regards,
>> Crystal
>> remote programming and training
>> http://MSAccessGurus.com
>>
>> free video tutorials
>> http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal
>>
>> Access Basics
>> http://www.AccessMVP.com/strive4peace
>> free 100-page book that covers essentials in Access
>>
>>   *
>>     (: have an awesome day :)
>>   *
>>

>> rbm wrote:
>>> I have a form that will be used to enter information submitted to me on Word
>>> files  (comment sheets on procedure reviews).  The files do not lend
>>> themselves to being converted to text files and imported into an access
>>> table.  I would like to be able to click a button, choose the *.doc file from
>>> the directory, select the file and have it display in a field on this data
>>> entry form (linked OLE field?).  I could then cut text (paragraphs) from Word
>>> and paste it into a memo field on the form.  I can program the button to find
>>> the file I want, but that's where I am stuck.
>>>
>>> The Access form will catalog all of these comments for use later.  A single
>>> word doc (comment sheet) will have multiple comments that I will put into
>>> individual records in the database.
>>>
>>> Essentially, I want to have a Word document displayed on half the form and
>>> the rest of the fields on the other half.  I don't want to have to work
>>> between MS Word and Access (i.e., tile two windows).
>>>
>>> Hope this makes some kind of sense.  The more I try to explain it the more
>>> confused I make myself.
>> .

0
Crystal

Outlook 2000 not displaying holidays
I can't seem to get them to display. I note that when I pull down the 'events' list it shows holidays from 01/01/98 through 12/31/02 only and that appears to be the problem. Is there a way to import holidays to update the program? ...

GP9 on 64 bit, home page display problem
I have GP9 up and running on two 64 bit servers and I have only one problem, the homepage is displayed incorrectly. Only two icons are displayed and no background images show up. I dug into the code of the "HomePage.xsl" and found the problem. The code uses a function called "base href" to set a variable, @basehref. Whenever @basehref is called, the working directory of the HomePage.xsl is substituted into the code. This is usually an elegant way to code, since the upstream directory structure can change and the code doesn't skip a beat. The problem is, on the 64 bit se...

Filtering, RecordsetClone, Main Form
My client has an Access database that was created in an earlier version of Access and they are now trying to use it with Access 2007. The main Customers form is not working right since changing versions. I can't figure out what's wrong with it. Can you please help me? The form has (5) tabs on it; Tab 1 ("Search by Customer Info") has unbound textboxes for the user to enter search criteria (such as "Dave" in the First Name textbox), then click a command button to display matching records in a subform (continuous form) on this tab. Then, when they find ...

Zooming in on a picture on a form
Hi Running Access 2007. I have a form which shows some details about a person and a tif photo in a fixed frame. Is there a way to say click on the photo and zoom in so that you have a larger view of the whole picture and also keeping the aspect ratio intact ? Bob On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:42:20 +1300, "Bob Matthews" <rgmatthews@orcon.net.nz> wrote: Only if you code that yourself. For example you could write code in the Click event to open a popup form with a larger image. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Hi > >Running Access 2007. >I ha...

Problem with form serial number
I have a table with 3 fields :- ID, Class and FName, My continuous form (which has Fname and Class fields) is bound to a query “qryTblNameClass” The SQL for the query is SELECT tblNameClass.Class, tblNameClass.FName FROM tblNameClass GROUP BY tblNameClass.Class, tblNameClass.SName ORDER BY tblNameClass.Class, tblNameClass.FName; What I would like to do is to group the same class and show its running serial number on the left of the continuous form. I trying putting a textbox on extreme left of the the continuous form detail section to show me the running serial number Eg 1 ...

Word unexpectedly quits when i try to print
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Many times, after I select file and click print, Word says it needs to quit due to a problem that has occurred. However, if I click on the print button on the toolbar, it prints without fail. I need to print certain pages and not the whole document. Why does it keep crashing? Please help! Any time you have a print problem the first things to confirm are that your OS (10.6.2), your software (Office 12.2.3) and -- most importantly -- your printer driver are fully updated. Check the mfr's web site for the ...

word 2007 fonts
Doe anyone know of a site to download (hopefully free) Colibri Bold font greater than 72 pt, which is the largest allowed with word 2007? -- frank mede You don't have to download anything. Even if 72 pt is the largest value you can *select*, you can *type* larger values. For example, you can select the current value in the Font group and type in what you want. Just press Enter to apply the new size to the selected text. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "fmede" <fmede@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1EE4DD54-ED54-427C-8A06-F3BD2A...

Key Words Search against Entire Store
What is the best way to search the entire mail store on Exchange 2000? Example, I want to find all emails containing the words "apple" and "orange" ...

How to convert Dollars & cents from numbers to words?
Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is any function or formulae that can change a dollar value, eg $2,400.00 in cell "A1" to display as "Two Thousand Four Hundred Dollars Only" in cell "B1" ?? Your help is much appreciated. Thank you. Rgds Cedric ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** Cedric No built-in Function, but you can build your own User Defined Function using the info at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q213360 OR ...

Multiple email aliases but emails sent to always show same display
Have an AD account that has multiple SMTP email addresses. However, any emails sent to one of them always show being sent to the users display name so theres no easy way to tell exactly what email address it was sent to. Does anyone know what we can do? Only thing I can thing of is creating separate AD accounts for this emails but that is a way too long winded. Thanks In news:690D8C4F-06FB-4F62-9265-CBDDFC350DA7@microsoft.com, Monkey <Monkey@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Have an AD account that has multiple SMTP email addresses. However, > any emails sent to one of the...

How do you export pictures from my pictures file into a word docu
I am in need of some help I am trying to export some photos from my picture file into a word document so I dont have to open up each individual picture can someone help me with this Select the photo files from your picure folder by SHIFT or CTRL + click and "Copy" Open a Word document and Edit>Paste. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:33:02 -0800, Becky <Becky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am in need of some help I am trying to export some photos from my picture >file into a word document so I dont have to open up each ind...

queries / forms/ report
I have a query for every month of the year and a report that has all 12 months on that report. What I would like to be able to do is to have one query and show each month on the report, but i would also like to able to input the time span that the query should calculate. I hope this make sense. Please let me know if this needs for explination. Thanks for your time. On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:16:00 -0800, Erik <Erik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a query for every month of the year and a report that has all 12 >months on that report. What I would like to be able to d...

Word 2003 not working properly
First part of the issue, MSOffice gives me an error saying MSWord is unable to load as email editor. Second part of the issue, when I open word, any document is blank. I can't even see my cursor. The page layout is weird. I will open documents that I know have information but you can't see it. Things I've tried... • Deleting the Normal.dot. This usually works. Usually, but hasn't all the time. • Complete reinstall • Checked for any add-ins or macros. None are listed. Startup folder is empty. • Virus scan. de nada. When I go into my task manager, Word is ru...

Importing from Outlook to CRM using a custom Contact form in Outlook
The subject says it all. I'm trying to import contacts from Outlook into CRM using Scribe. We have a custom contact form for Outlook contacts, and Scribe isn't picking up the custom fields. Any ideas? I would post a question on the Scribe support forum <joshm@susqtech.com> wrote in message news:1120136692.551538.88360@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > The subject says it all. I'm trying to import contacts from Outlook > into CRM using Scribe. We have a custom contact form for Outlook > contacts, and Scribe isn't picking up the custom fields. Any ideas? > ...

How do you create scrolling marquee text in Word?
This used to be available in versions up to 07. Is there a way to recreate this feature? I read somewhere that is was removed because some found it annoying. Is there any help for me? I need it for a specific application. -- TheTraveler In Word 2007, the only way to create text effects is via a macro. Ask in a programming newsgroup such as microsoft.public.word.vba.general. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "TheTraveler" <TheTraveler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:435B6A12-B905-48E7-B39E-EB4681D26F45@microsoft.com... > This ...

EFT Payables remit doc number
Client is having an issue where the REMITXXXX number that is assigned during the EFT payment process is not getting pulled correctly. The Number that gets assigned is REMIT000000000000001. This is causing duplicate document number problems. the correct number should be REMIT000000000012735 Any thoughts on how to fix this in GP 9.0? Thanks ...

Cannot create new forms or reports
I am using a database in which I previoulsy created forms and reports. I am able to create tables and queries. However, when I select the forms or tables object, the "New" button is greyed out. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks. Is the database suffix .mde or .mdb? If .mde, you can't even modify existing forms and reports. If a multi-user application, that can prevent you from creating/changing forms and reports. Try opening up Access by itself. Then find the specific database file in the Open dialog box and click on it once. Next click on the dropdown next to the...

Howto save Word attachment?
Hi there. Outlook 2003 When someone sends me an e-mail with a word document attached to it, from OE, the attached document displays as a mail in my inbox, and not a message with an attached document. I need to have the document seperate to save it. How do I do this? -- Regards, Deon H The originator of the email should turn off Rich Text formatting and use HTML or plain text. -- Regards, Francine Otterson President, San Diego Outlook User Group MVP - Microsoft Outlook "Deon" <REMOVEdeon@REMOVEsincro.co.za> wrote in message news:Xns98CF5FC4B69FBREMOVEdeonREMOVEsi...

Word 2007 crashes
I am using Word 2007 with Windows Vista Business. In Word, if I go to File and Open and then try to right-click a file, for example, to rename it, the program crashes. The same thing happens in Excel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, RB Have you tried repairing the installation? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "RB" <RB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B6A74A5-0C4D-4727-A7FA-3EE8B87C39F1@microsoft.com... >I am using Word 2007 with Windows Vista Business. In Word, if I go to File > and Open and then try to right-click a...

Word 2004 crashing upon opening
I have Word 2004. Recently when using it, it gave me some trouble about changing "normal". I wasn't really sure what that was all about, and don't recall what I ended up telling it to do... However, not it will not open. It gets past the initial Microsoft logo page, then goes to what would be the menu where you choose to start a blank document. That menu never loads. It stays white for a while, all the while the computer making crunching noises, then quits. I tried reinstalling, but that does not help. I tried using the auto updater, but that freezes as well. ...

how can i change the letters in the top row to words
You can't. You can use letters or numbers or nothing. Tools|options|General tab|check/uncheck R1C1 Reference style or tools|options|view tab|check/uncheck row and column headers. But there's nothing stopping you from putting headers in row 1 and then freezing panes so that row 1 is always visible. As a user of excel, I expect to see the row and column headers. So I don't see a problem showing them. And since many people like A1 reference style and others like R1C1, I (as a developer) let them see what they want. If you want to try freezing row 1 so that it's always vis...

Outllok 2007 display problem
Outlook is open and working fine, I go to do something else on the computer and when I return to Outlook I can see the pane showing all the folders on the left, Inbox with message headers in the middle but the display pane shows: "Cannot display the folder. Exited without properly closing your Outlook data file ......\....\Outlook.pst" I have to shut down the program and restart it and all is ok for a while then back to above. This has happening frequently for the last 3 days or so. I've not done anything different than normal in Outlook - I wouldn't know how to exi...

CRM should not display Tracking tokens, hide them!
When emails are sent from an acitvity in CRM, the system appends a TRACKING TOKEN to the suject line of the email. This tracking token should not be visible to the user. You should allow a CRM administrator to turn off "System generated" messages, but leave CRM tracking of emails on. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft W...

MS Word into Visio Flow Chart
New to Visio ... trying to figure out if there is a way to use MS Word as a Form to pull a field setting bookmark (map) to a specific box/diagram entry in Visio. Any help or direction ... appreciated two scenarios. first you can use visio hyperlink to go to the document/bookmark. the second is write some vba code to do it under the covers. al "George Elkins" <George Elkins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE56E9D1-C117-4DC4-AA1C-DEFDEB32FC14@microsoft.com... > New to Visio ... trying to figure out if there is a way to use MS Word as > a > Form ...

How to get all the texts on all type controls in form?
I want to make the multi-languages program, want to get all texts of each control item in a form, then read the XML file (Control Name and Text) to write to the text of control, and have wrote some codes, but seem that it's complicated. Can anyone tell easy method or sample? thank you. ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Public Shared Sub AllControlOnForm(ByVal FormName As Form, ByVal xPath As String, Optional ByVal ToolTipName As ToolTip = Nothing) Try Dim ReturnValue As String = GetXMLText(xPat...