Delete rows in table from Module or Form - 23674

Hi fols
I've been trying to delete som rows from a table:
in a form - wont work
in a module - wont work either
in a query that's called from a module - and ofcoursre , wont work
---
tried this in the module
Set db = CurrentDb()

SQLstr = "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = " & myBox & " And
[magasineId] = '" & myMagsineId & "' & "" ;"

CurrentDb.Execute SQLstr

and this:

DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = " & myBox & " And
[magasineId] = '" & myMagsineId & "' & "" ;"

---
Tried with a query that's called from the module:
code in module:

'stDocname = "delMagQuery"
'DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocname, acNormal, acEdit

code in query:

DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId]=" & myBox & " And [magasineId]='" &
myMagsineId & "' & "";

And nothing works can PLEASE someone help?
Thanks in advance
/Michelle
michellesihdu@brikks.com

0
michelle

What does "won't work" mean?

Do you get an error message? If so, what's the error? If you don't get an
error, are you saying that the SQL runs, but the data's still there? How
have you confirmed that the SQL was run?

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"michelle" <michellesihdu@brikks.com> wrote in message
> Hi fols
> I've been trying to delete som rows from a table:
> in a form - wont work
> in a module - wont work either
> in a query that's called from a module - and ofcoursre , wont work
> ---
> tried this in the module
> Set db = CurrentDb()
>
> SQLstr = "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = " & myBox & " And
> [magasineId] = '" & myMagsineId & "' & "" ;"
>
> CurrentDb.Execute SQLstr
>
> and this:
>
> DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = " & myBox & " And
> [magasineId] = '" & myMagsineId & "' & "" ;"
>
> ---
> Tried with a query that's called from the module:
> code in module:
>
> 'stDocname = "delMagQuery"
> 'DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocname, acNormal, acEdit
>
> code in query:
>
> DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId]=" & myBox & " And [magasineId]='" &
> myMagsineId & "' & "";
>
> And nothing works can PLEASE someone help?
> Thanks in advance
> /Michelle
> michellesihdu@brikks.com

0
Douglas
3/1/2007 6:46:42 PM
On 1 Mar, 19:46, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
> What does "won't work" mean?
>
> Do you get an error message? If so, what's the error? If you don't get an
> error, are you saying that the SQL runs, but the data's still there? How
> have you confirmed that the SQL was run?
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> "michelle" <michellesi...@brikks.com> wrote in message

> > Hi fols
> > I've been trying to delete som rows from a table:
> > in a form - wont work
> > in a module - wont work either
> > in a query that's called from a module - and ofcoursre , wont work
> > ---
> > tried this in the module
> > Set db =3D CurrentDb()
>
> > SQLstr =3D "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] =3D " & myBox & " And
> > [magasineId] =3D '" & myMagsineId & "' & "" ;"
>
> > CurrentDb.Execute SQLstr
>
> > and this:
>
> > DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] =3D " & myBox & " And
> > [magasineId] =3D '" & myMagsineId & "' & "" ;"
>
> > ---
> > Tried with a query that's called from the module:
> > code in module:
>
> > 'stDocname =3D "delMagQuery"
> > 'DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocname, acNormal, acEdit
>
> > code in query:
>
> > DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId]=3D" & myBox & " And [magasineId]=3D'=
" &
> > myMagsineId & "' & "";
>
> > And nothing works can PLEASE someone help?
> > Thanks in advance
> > /Michelle
> > michellesi...@brikks.com- D=F6lj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

Hi again

Thanksfor answering me.

I better start telling you that all the varaiables in the module gets
the correct values.
When Iexecuten this line
   SQLstr =3D "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] =3D " & myBox & " And
[magasineId] =3D '" & myMagasineId & "' & "" ;"

everything looks ok.
Then I execute:
  CurrentDb.Execute SQLstr

After that I have these lines in the module:
Proc_Exit:
Set db =3D Nothing

Which are skipped, I end up
 Err_RunTheDeleteMag:
    MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & vbCrLf & Err.sSQL, vbOKOnl
    'Resume Exit_RunTheChangeBox

And I get a message thats look like this:
 'object does not support the propery or method'

Perhaps a lousy translation from swedish to english but I hope it's
understandable.

You recognise the error?
Can you (or someone give me a hint what to change)?

best regards
/Michelle

Thanks in advance

0
michelle
3/2/2007 1:34:39 PM
Actually, the quotes in your code to generate the SQL look incorrect.

In the first case, it should be

SQLstr = "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = " & myBox & " And
[magasineId] = '" & myMagsineId & "' ;"

(although the semi-colon isn't actually mandatory)

The second case really doesn't make sense to me: you can't put references to
variables in the SQL property of a QueryDef object like that.

If the correction above doesn't help, directly before the CurrentDb.Execute
SQLstr line in your code, insert the following:

Debug.Print SQLstr

Once the code's run, go to the Immediate window (Ctrl-G), and look at the
actual SQL that's being run. Does it look correct? (paste the SQL into your
reply if you're still having problems)

Your query assumes that boxId is a numeric field, and that magasineId is a
text field. Is that correct?

--

On 1 Mar, 19:46, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
> What does "won't work" mean?
>
> Do you get an error message? If so, what's the error? If you don't get an
> error, are you saying that the SQL runs, but the data's still there? How
> have you confirmed that the SQL was run?
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> "michelle" <michellesi...@brikks.com> wrote in message

> > Hi fols
> > I've been trying to delete som rows from a table:
> > in a form - wont work
> > in a module - wont work either
> > in a query that's called from a module - and ofcoursre , wont work
> > ---
> > tried this in the module
> > Set db = CurrentDb()
>
> > SQLstr = "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = " & myBox & " And
> > [magasineId] = '" & myMagsineId & "' & "" ;"
>
> > CurrentDb.Execute SQLstr
>
> > and this:
>
> > DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = " & myBox & " And
> > [magasineId] = '" & myMagsineId & "' & "" ;"
>
> > ---
> > Tried with a query that's called from the module:
> > code in module:
>
> > 'stDocname = "delMagQuery"
> > 'DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocname, acNormal, acEdit
>
> > code in query:
>
> > DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId]=" & myBox & " And [magasineId]='" &
> > myMagsineId & "' & "";
>
> > And nothing works can PLEASE someone help?
> > Thanks in advance
> > /Michelle
> > michellesi...@brikks.com- D�lj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

Hi again

Thanksfor answering me.

I better start telling you that all the varaiables in the module gets
the correct values.
When Iexecuten this line
   SQLstr = "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = " & myBox & " And
[magasineId] = '" & myMagasineId & "' & "" ;"

everything looks ok.
Then I execute:
  CurrentDb.Execute SQLstr

After that I have these lines in the module:
Proc_Exit:
Set db = Nothing

Which are skipped, I end up
 Err_RunTheDeleteMag:
    MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & vbCrLf & Err.sSQL, vbOKOnl
    'Resume Exit_RunTheChangeBox

And I get a message thats look like this:
 'object does not support the propery or method'

Perhaps a lousy translation from swedish to english but I hope it's
understandable.

You recognise the error?
Can you (or someone give me a hint what to change)?

best regards
/Michelle

Thanks in advance

0
Douglas
3/2/2007 2:04:19 PM
On 2 Mar, 15:04, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
> Actually, the quotes in your code to generate the SQL look incorrect.
>
> In the first case, it should be
>
> SQLstr = "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = " & myBox & " And
> [magasineId] = '" & myMagsineId & "' ;"
>
> (although the semi-colon isn't actually mandatory)
>
> The second case really doesn't make sense to me: you can't put references to
> variables in the SQL property of a QueryDef object like that.
>
> If the correction above doesn't help, directly before the CurrentDb.Execute
> SQLstr line in your code, insert the following:
>
> Debug.Print SQLstr
>
> Once the code's run, go to the Immediate window (Ctrl-G), and look at the
> actual SQL that's being run. Does it look correct? (paste the SQL into your
> reply if you're still having problems)
>
> Your query assumes that boxId is a numeric field, and that magasineId is a
> text field. Is that correct?
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> "michelle" <michellesi...@brikks.com> wrote in message

> On 1 Mar, 19:46, "Douglas J. Steele"

Well,well

your row looks pretty much the same as  min.
And it doesn't work.

SQLstr = "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = " & myBox & " And
[magasineId] =  '" & myMagasineId & "' & ;"
    CurrentDb.Execute SQLstr

Any ideas??

best regards
/Michelle

0
michelle
3/3/2007 4:55:59 PM
> On 2 Mar, 15:04, "Douglas J. Steele"
> <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
>> Actually, the quotes in your code to generate the SQL look incorrect.
>>
>> In the first case, it should be
>>
>> SQLstr = "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = " & myBox & " And
>> [magasineId] = '" & myMagsineId & "' ;"
>>
>> (although the semi-colon isn't actually mandatory)
>>
>> The second case really doesn't make sense to me: you can't put references
>> variables in the SQL property of a QueryDef object like that.
>>
>> If the correction above doesn't help, directly before the
>> CurrentDb.Execute
>> SQLstr line in your code, insert the following:
>>
>> Debug.Print SQLstr
>>
>> Once the code's run, go to the Immediate window (Ctrl-G), and look at the
>> actual SQL that's being run. Does it look correct? (paste the SQL into
>> your
>> reply if you're still having problems)
>>
>> Your query assumes that boxId is a numeric field, and that magasineId is
>> text field. Is that correct?
>>
>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no e-mails, please!)
>>
>> "michelle" <michellesi...@brikks.com> wrote in message

>> On 1 Mar, 19:46, "Douglas J. Steele"
>>

> Well,well
>
> your row looks pretty much the same as  min.
> And it doesn't work.
>
> SQLstr = "DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = " & myBox & " And
> [magasineId] =  '" & myMagasineId & "' & ;"
>    CurrentDb.Execute SQLstr

Yours is different than mine. You've got the extra space, ampersand and
space in the end. That means that if myBox has a value of 1 and myMagasineId
has a value of A, your string will be:

DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = 1 And [magasineId] = 'A' & ;

whereas mine will be

DELETE * FROM Photos WHERE [boxId] = 1 And [magasineId] = 'A';

It's the ampersand in there that's killing you.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no private e-mails, please)

0
Douglas

Hiding records on reports by checkbox on form
Hi, I'm in the proccess of buliding a new database. Its purpose is to store various organisation contact details and then to produce reports based on this that can be printed onto sticky labels. This much or basically finished. However, we naturally don't want to print the whole database every time, so I'm using a checkbox on the interface form that will filter the report so that only checked records are prepared for printing. Can anyone tell what code I need to use to do this, and where? I've tried various methods, but nothing seems to work. I'm using accesss 2003 by the w...

Max row's available is too small
Hi, I had two questions...I currently have Excel 97 and the maximum row' available is 65000 and some. If I upgrade to the newest version doe this increase? If not, what are some ways you guys go about getting around thi restriction... What i'm going to be doing is using an Add-In from an external sourc that lets me do certain SQL queries....but the data returned from thes queries may easily be larger than 65k rows.... Any ideas? Thanks, Fran -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Frank, The maximum number of rows in all versions of Excel since 97 is 65536. There i...

Make a pivot table from an existing pivot table
I'm trying to make a completely new pivot table out of an existing pivot table where the existing table is actually the source data (not the original data table). The problem I have is that this intermediate pivot table has 3 columns of unique values (with over 1000 rows) before we get to the data. I can't just copy it and make a pivot table, or create a mirror sheet that isn't a pivot table because of the blank cells underneath each change in value. I have this: Source Name Attempts Data Mail Joe 1 654 2 700 ...

PDF Table to Excel Spreadsheet
This has been asked in numerous places all over the web but I have not found a workable solution. We have a mainframe system that generates PDF reports for billing. However, few people in our organization these days speak mainframe. We need Excel to do calculations on the data. I began working on a method for converting using UEdit Macros and an Excel macro because the fields are fixed-width. My attempts have been unsuccessful. Here is what I want to accomplish: -Copy a region of text from a PDF -Paste into Excel -Break the values out into the appropriate cells. http://www.google.com/sea...

How can I access a public calendar from a custom form
I am trying to create a custom form that would allow a employee to request a vactation time frame. This form would then be mailed to a supervisor who could approve or disapprove the request. I am having difficulty getting the response posted to a public calendar vs. the managers private calendar. Help! -Jeff ...

Best way to design tables for cascading on my form
My company inspects damaged cars for insurance purposes. Up to now, (relating to this issue) I've had tblDamageArea populate a list box on my form where the user can select the various parts of the car that were damaged. I've had this list include parts for multiple kinds of cars and I'd like to make this list cascade to include only those parts relevant to the car type inspected. I've created a tblVehType to separate Sedan, Coupe, 4DoorTruck, SUV, etc. which populates a cbo on my form where the user will select the type which will then be used as the crite...

Missing something basic
Working with Access 2003. I have a table of users, their phone numbers, and job classes called tblUsers. A query extracts that information into qryUsers. I have a form that uses the query as the record source called frmUsers. The form only contains a single combobox so someone can select the user for which they wish to view data in other forms. It works fine for the first user on the list in the combobox. Selecting any other user in the combobox causes the first record in the table to change to that user's name. For example: The table and the query both contain: Timmy Bobby ...

Coverting information in rows to colums
Information is in one column many rows. a1 1234 a2 henry a3 jones a4 43 melrose st a5 wallyvile need to transpose this information into seperate colums example column a 1234 column b henry column c jones etc this spreadsheet has over 300 address See the instructions for Vertical to Horizontal Addresses at: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/data_cleanup_tips_for_microsoft_excel.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "bbc1" <bbc1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E004F1FC-A626-4862-96E5-D44464D454FC@microsoft.com...

Summing cells in pivot tables
I have a problem summing cells in a pivot table. When I double-click on a cell that I want to add, the formula from that cell gets added. Eventually I run out of characters. Is there a way to switch how the cell gets picked up. I can manually enter the cell addresses that I am trying to sum but that takes forever. Thanks, Ted There are instructions here for adding the Generate GetPivotData button to a toolbar, and toggling the feature on and off: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot06.html Ted wrote: > I have a problem summing cells in a pivot table. When I double-cli...

OLXP AutoComplete: How to Delete Single Entry
Q289975 mentions "changing" a single entry, but not deleting it. Posts to this list on the same subject mention how to delete entries from the AutoComplete list, but those suggestions will not work to remove a single entry from the cache. Can anyone suggest a procedure to remove a single entry from the AutoComplete list that actually works? OLXP AutoComplete caches resolved addresses into the <profilename>.NK2 file. Deleting the NK2 file removes single instances but that is a rather extreme solution to the problem. Is there an editor that one can use to edit the NK2 file to re...

More than 65000 Rows
Hello All, Sorry if this has been covered before - couldn;t find a thread when searching though.. Do you know if there's any way to increase the number of rows in a worksheet? Thanks in advance Chris ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ http://www.google.com/groups?num=50&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=row++limit+group%3A*excel*&btnG=Google+Search The bottom line : No. HTH Paul ---------------------------...

Changing row height in a CListCtrl
Hello, I'm trying to change the row height of a list control by means of a slider. Currently, we're doing that by changing the font height. This works perfectly, except for one thing: The font actually changes as well (d'uh). For the items itself it's not really a huge issue, I'm using custom draw and can set the font height to a "fixed" value. But I can't do that for the headers. Is there perhaps another way to change the row height of a list control, or is changing the font height the only way to do it? Thanks, -- Maarten Kools ___________________...

Forms and Reports from CrossTab queries
Hi All, I have read a few postings in this area, but they all seem to be very specific to particular situations. Can someone please guide me towards the best solution to my dilema? I have a form with two list boxes which contain many variables (answers to specific questions from a survey). When two different questions are slected I run a cross tab query resulting in a dymanic result of rows and columns based on the selections. I now want to display the result as a datasheet on my form and in a similar fashion as a report. Any help is, of course, greatly appreciated. Regards, John D...

Hiding a field from a sub form.
I know that this looks easy (and it probably is) but this is what I need to do. I have this code that I can hide a field within the same form ' NI.Visible = Not NB And this works just fine. what I would like to do is Hide a Field from a Sub Form and I am hitting a wall. I tried this, so please tell me where I am brain dead. frmDateEntry!product.visible = not NB Thanks in advance, -- -The Novice Learn Today, Teach Tomorrow Great Success is ones ability to ask for Help. On Fri, 18 May 2007 14:50:00 -0700, TheNovice <TheNovice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know tha...

new to making forms on access
Ok I have a table whihc has column name title and some survey question. Now i want to create a form so that when i select Name ( I guess this will be combo box) I dont know how to do that even where i can select name ? but when i select name the person title auto populates and so does the relevant answers to the questions for example i choose John and the title should auto populate and question 1 should populate also and so on but if i pick adam then everything related to adam populates. Your help will be really appreciated The table look like this Name Title Qu...

is it possible to have datasheet smart tags appear in a form?
is it possible to have datasheet smart tags appear in a form? Thanks ...

Deleting a word from a Cell
Hi Can anyone help, i am trying to deletel the last word from a Cell My cell currently read: - M04274059519 Total and I need a formula that will delete the "total" word Would really appreciate some help linexe On Jan 21, 7:27=A0am, Linexe <l.clark...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > Hi > > Can anyone help, i am trying to deletel the last word from a Cell > > My cell currently read: - =A0M04274059519 Total > > and I need a formula that will delete the "total" word > > Would really appreciate some help > > linexe C...

Import Adobe Form into Access for Report
I am trying to import a PDF into Access to use as a report and populate the fields with a query I have created. I can not find any help in getting this to work. Can someone help me? -- Terry Foster Tax Trilogy ...

Publish Form Changes without restarting IIS?
Is there another way to publish form changes without restarting IIS? We run a 24x7 IT shop and taking down a production system for every change is a pain. thank you. Mike Presumably as you are 24/7 you have multiple CRM servers, so you only need to IISRESET one CRM server at a time, thus users will not notice any loss of service "BWIT" <user1@bwinc.com> wrote in message news:ObSXFVvWFHA.4036@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Is there another way to publish form changes without restarting IIS? We > run a 24x7 IT shop and taking down a production system for every chang...

table manipulation
Hi all my db has a single table, Table1. Table1 is as follows: AUTHOR;TITLE;PUBLISHER rows are not unique; i.e. I can have more than 1 row with the same author. What would be the SQL code to generate a table2 with the following structure: AUTHOR;TITLE-PUBLISHER;...;TITLE-PUBLISHER where every author now has only 1 row and titles and publishers for author are appended to the right as as may fields as necessary? thanks! hugh wrote: > Hi all > > my db has a single table, Table1. Table1 is as follows: > > > AUTHOR;TITLE;PUBLISHER > > rows are not unique; i.e....

Display No. of Rows in Status Bar
Hello: I'm using Excel 2003. Up until recently, whenever I apply an autofilter, my status bar would display the number of rows returned, e.g.: "25 of 100 records found". For some reason it has stopped doing that, and now just says "Filter Mode". I right clicked on the status bar, and chose "Count". It didn't help. Right now I have it on "None", which is what it was on when the row count was displaying before. I don't believe I turned anything off, but I'd sure like to have that feature back. OBTW: I had this problem a mont...

Create field from append query based on linked table name
Here's the setup: Two linked tables called 'PHD' and 'XANS' bring in daily data from two CSV files. A union table-query puts the common data in both into the same name fields. This table-query is called 'SOLS_DATA_MERGE'. I then created a new table called 'SOLS_MAIN' and I ran an append query called 'SOLS_DATA_APPEND' to append the data in the table-query, 'SOLS_DATA_MERGE' into the new table, 'SOLS_MAIN'. The main reason for this was so that I could assign my data a primary key. Even though I have achieved my goal of merging the da...

Custom Roll up and Drill down calculation for Excel Pivot table
Greetings to all - I am currently struggling with a method to apply a custom rollup function for an Excel pivot table. I am trying to calculate a sell through % which is calculated as Sales $/(Sales $ + Ending Inv $). I want to be able to calculate this % at the weekly, monthly, and yearly level. I can successfully add a calculated field which works perfectly when the user has WEEK on the pivot table. However, if the user wishes to remove week and see the Sell Thru % at the Monthly level, then Excel naturally sums the Sell Thru % for each week in the month. This is not an accurat...

Cannot delete resources from Project Server 2007
When trying to delete resources from Project Server 2007 using the Delete Enterprise Objects I receive the following error: The specified Resources and Users could not be deleted because of the following errors: The action was canceled by an event handler. We have Project Server 2007 and EPMLive installed and working together. ...

When deleting an email, it's so fast, it deletes the next email t.
I just started using Outlook 2003 (on a new computer at work). When deleting an email, it's so fast, it deletes the next email too. Is there anyway to change a setting so it doesn't automatically delete emails so fast. I end up undeleting every email... just so I can check to make sure I haven't accidentally deleted something I haven't read yet. I've looked at the mouse settings, but they are set on the slower end. HELP. Thanks, Kathy :) Kathy <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just started using Outlook 2003 (on a new computer at work). When ...