Create new table from Form

Hello.  I'm new to this group and I have a question:
I created a form to build a quiz by entering the question,
distractors, correct answer and graphic name if one is used, and some
other information needed for the quiz.  Once the user finishes making
the quiz, I would like to have the user press a button on my form so
that information in the form is put into a new table with the same
field names as the ones used in the form.  I don't want the current
db
that is linked to the form to be used as the final product; once the
new table is created and saved with a user-defined name, the form's
db
is then cleared, or refreshed, so the form can be used to make
another
quiz.  I would greatly appreciate an help.  Thanks in advance!
0
Carlos1815

To create a new table for each individual record in a form is not going to
be workable or maintainable in MS access.

What happens then when you want a printout ten people's results? You'll be
coming back to this newsgroup and asking how can you have a report print
data from different tables? Unfortunately none of the reporting tools in MS
access allows you to do this. MS access simply does not work this way, and
cannot be used in a production environment in which you create a new table
for every single record.

Furthermore in a multiuser environment, and in fact and for most
environments creating tables on the fly is akin to try changing the engne on
an airplane while it is in flight. Try to keep in mind here you're designing
software, and software is simply a machine that solves your problem. When
you build this machine you must freeze the designs before you give it to the
users, and creating a new table for each individual user is not going to
work at all.

You'll have very little flexibility and ability to report on any of this
data with any of the built in reporting tools, since they don't work on
multiple tables with just one record each.

The very simple solution here is to simply add one additional column who to
your table, and put the user's name in that collum. That way you can
distinguish between each record, and you won't have a zillion tables being
created.

Furthermore can you imagine if down the road you decide to add one field to
your design, and you have 200 tables now? You'll be using up so much of your
developer time trying to chase and modify each of the tables as to you will
NEVER get any usefull work done.

So instead of adding a table for each individual user, simply add one little
extra column into your table design, and simply put the user's name into
that collum. This means you will not create a new table for each user. This
desing will also allow all kinds of reporting, statistics, and printouts of
all the information data in a single unified table.

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
2/27/2008 11:29:59 PM
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:28:55 -0800 (PST), Carlos1815 <Carlos1815@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello.  I'm new to this group and I have a question:
>I created a form to build a quiz by entering the question,
>distractors, correct answer and graphic name if one is used, and some
>other information needed for the quiz.  Once the user finishes making
>the quiz, I would like to have the user press a button on my form so
>that information in the form is put into a new table with the same
>field names as the ones used in the form.  I don't want the current
>db
>that is linked to the form to be used as the final product; once the
>new table is created and saved with a user-defined name, the form's
>db
>is then cleared, or refreshed, so the form can be used to make
>another
>quiz.  I would greatly appreciate an help.  Thanks in advance!

You're GOING AT THIS COMPLETELY BACKWARDS.

Forms are just windows, tools to edit data in tables. The tables are
*fundamental*. You don't create tables from forms; you create forms to work
with preexisting tables.

If you want to save multiple quizzes, you need a table of quizzes into which
your form *adds new records* - probably at least two tables, one with a single
record for each newly created quiz, related one to many to a table of quiz
questions.

--
             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Default value in table 10-26-07
Hi all, I am creating an access database and have the following problem. When creating a table in design view, I would like to set the default value. The value will be a web address or part of www.nameofsite.foldername/ however when I set this as a default value and add a record to the table, I do not get the default value I specified. What am I doing wrong and is it indeed possible to do this? Thank you -- Jim Expression web help - http://www.expression-web-designer-help.com Expression web forums - http://www.expression-web-designer-help.com/forum/default.asp Solved needed to put ins...

Adding columns to item table
Are there any incompatibility issues I would need to worry about in adding additional columns to tables in the database? I'm already using most of the available fields in the item table and I would like a place to store each items ASIN assigned from amazon. I don't need to be able to read or write this in either the POS or the Manager, I just need to be able to access it through SQL queries. I would like to know the same thing. Has anybody done that without problems? <tfitts@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ce05743c-7ca2-49cc-89da-815d91c77e4d@1g2000prd.googlegroups.com......

Create Custom Tab
I would like to know how can I create a custom tab on Access2007 and How to create custome group on it -- Nat ...

Form and Subform for single ID
Hi I am in the process of creating a Case Management database. Every week, a coach meets with the students for Case Management purposes. When the youth becomes involved in Case Management, they complete surveys at 6 months intervals. I also have several tables (forms) which are based on survey questions which must be completed at six months intervals. The main youth form is in the Participant table (there is YouthID is the PK). I have created a One-to-Many relationship between this table and the survey tables but there is no referential integrity since I have more youths...

table of contents
The whole tab thing just works like it's broken in Pub 2000. No matter how many times I reset the tabs for the table of contents, it goes back to mish mash when I open it.. I then have to reset each line individually because it's not smart enough to do the whole page. The last line doesn't have a chapter number so it won't stay in line with the others at the right edge. It's a real pain in the neck. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Asussertown <DROPsussertown@adelphia.net>... > The whole tab thing just works like it'...

How do I use the connection string to connect to a table on the database that I am working on.
I have two related tables. and one form of which one of the tables is a subform and i want to write the data on the subform to a textfile. I used this code to connect to the table but because I have already opened the MDB. I get the error that the file is already openned. objConn.CursorLocation = adUseClient objConn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _ "Data Source=C:\Documents and Settings\exds006\Desktop\Electronic LIV;" & "Persist Security Info=False" objConn.Open Is there another way of accessing th...

Can't give access to new Test Company on GP10
I created an additional company on GP10 which I called TEST. Through SQL Server, I restored a backup file of our production database to test. Then I went into GP > User Access Setup, and tried to assign access to the TEST company to users, but it would not allow it. The message read, "The user could not be added to one or more databases." I created the new company as sa, and sa does have access to the TEST company. I would appreciate any help with this. Thanks! Have you tried going into SQL server and removing all the permissions from the Test database before going into...

Creating and using a Deleted folder
I am using outlook 2002 and when an item is deleted it shows as the item with a line thur it. Is there anyway to have the deleted item moved to a deleted folder. I am running outlook with 3 connections. Two I IMAP and one with MS exchange. The exchange one does have a deleted folder but the others don't Scott Adams <adamsfour@aol.com> wrote: > I am using outlook 2002 and when an item is deleted it > shows as the item with a line thur it. Is there anyway to > have the deleted item moved to a deleted folder. No. That's the way IMAP works. -- Brian Tillman ...

How to create xml node like this, thanks
Quite often, when I modify my xml, I need locate the node, if the node doesn't exist, I need create the node. But usually, the node is several level deep, like field[@name="level1"]/field[@name="test1" and @id="2"]/field[@name="test"] What is the best way to do that in C#? thanks! ...

Outlook 2001 & new Exchange server
We recently moved to a new server (Exchange 2003 on Win2003; old server was Exchange 2000 on Win2000). We have one Mac user (MacOS 10.3). Our experience with Entourage X was abysmal, so she uses iCal and Groupcal (from Snerdware) to access her calendar. To look at other users' calendars, she uses Outlook 2001 (which runs in Classic mode). When we moved to the new Exchange server, she could no longer access calendars that she had previously accessed, either from File | Open | Other User's Folder or File | Open and then the shortcut (the error was about permissions, which were as befor...

Word/Outlook convert content to a table when forwarding msgs
How do I prevent Word/Outlook from converting the content of a forwarded message to a table (actually, a bunch of nested tables) when I forward a message? Outlook/Word doesn't do this. Apparently the original message was already formatted this way. If you are convince that is not the case (look at the HTML source of the received message), then you'll have to provide some configuration details for us to work with and steps to reproduce. Also, does this happen to all messages or just this one? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outloo...

Automatically creating new pst file when pst is too big
Would anybody know how to automatically create new pst files after it reaches a certain size? I would like outlook 2000 to automatically archive all email folders and then after reaching a specific size create a new pst. After creating the new pst then it would either inform the user of the location of the old pst or add the new pst to the current profile. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Alex ...

How to convert Null values to zero when create an average query
This is my crosstab query Items Worked April 2010 March 2010 Average Reports 2 4 3 Tables 5 5 Files 2 2 2 As you can see, for "Tables" the query is giving me an average of "5" instead "2.5" because is not counting the null value date. How can I fix that? the SQL query so far is this: TRANSFORM Avg([Integrate Query].T...

!!!!!!! new a.r rahman albems !!!!!!!!!
http://www.winnersdifferce.blogspot.com ...

tutorial to creat my own shapes libraries ?
hi -- in another thread , an MVP expert said : "Visio shapes are relatively easily to create. Do you have a stencil that gives you some of the other hose connections used by a fire department?" how do i do this ? here is an exaple of the sort of shapes i want to port into a visio library : http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/9344/shapes2im.jpg So , can someone please direct me to a turorial , that explains in easy steps how i can use these and similar graphics as visio objects ?? TIA YRS - AJ Do you have them in a vector format? Ie: wmf, emf, autocad dwg, dxf, etc? You c...

how do i create a picture slideshow with music and effects?
I would like to make a DVD or CD with a picture slideshow that includes music, special effects and i really need advise on how to do this? Making a slideshow with music and effect wrote: > I would like to make a DVD or CD with a picture slideshow that includes > music, special effects and i really need advise on how to do this? hmmmm pay someone to do it for you? I would like to make a world free of war. Forget the music, special effects... advise? advice? argh jesus weeped Making a slideshow with music and effect wrote: > I would like to make a DVD or CD with a picture ...

Creating XML Text
Hello, I need to create some well formed XML text live in memory. What I really want is to use the XmlTextWriter object applied to some location in memory (Stream or something?), because it does a nice job of formatting/identing, etc. But I can't figure out how to instantiate the XmlTextWriter object correctly w/o a filespec. I'm not allowed to directly instantiate a Stream & therefore a StreamWriter for that matter since there's no filespec involved. Can someone show me some code to make this work? TIA, -- John C. Bowman Software Engineer Thermo Electron Scientific I...

Creating a Publisher 2007 Document in Arabic
Hi, I currently have a business card designed in Publisher 2007. I want to add a reverse side to it and put the same details on the card in Arabic. I'm going to use a Translation Service to translate the text but could someone tell me what configuration changes I need to make in Publisher and/or Windows in order to be able to paste and style the translated text? Thanks Dominic Help, Type Right to Left... The first entry has the requirements. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ <dominic.martin@dtrack.com> wrote in message news:5bb99815-f0f8-4aa3-8a76-b18b6...

Creating a hyperlink
I'm trying to insert a hperlink to a SmartArt. Is that feasible? Also, is there a way to change a color background of a page? When I click background, i'm only able to put a picture. I don't know about the Smart Art huperlink but for the background color open MS Paint of similar. On a blank canvas select a color then use the fill icon to fill the canvas with your color. Save As a *.jpg Use that as your background picture. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:34:01 -0800, Louise <Louise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm trying to insert a h...

Creat Project Web Access Site : new instance
Hi, Question of a beginner: Using ProjectServer 2007 + SP2 + Dec CU. I want to create a new instance of PWA in the SharedServices1. In the Create Project Web Access Site page, in the "SharePoint Web Application to host Project Web Access" drop down list, I don't have "Default Web Site" as usual. I only have the 2 options: "SharePoint - 22794" and "SharePoint - 80". What did I miss? What I have to do? Thanks for your help Robert: You didn't miss anything. No doubt the 22794 port is running your SharePoint Central admin an...

Runtime error 429: Activex Component Can't create object
Dear helpers, Kindly guide me to resolve my vista related problem. I am running .exe file on Vista ultimate but it giving run time error "429: Activex Component Can't create object". The exe file works well on XP. May be it's a scripting error .... kindly advise what to do ro resolve it. Regards, Hina Naz -- Hina Naz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hina Naz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/226902.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1342465.htm http://forums.techarena.i...

windows forms controls
Does a control similar to the the asp.net repeater or datalist exist for winforms? One where I can have a group of controls repeat like in the asp.net repeater. DataGridView doesn't appear to do that. Ralph wrote: > Does a control similar to the the asp.net repeater or datalist exist > for winforms? > One where I can have a group of controls repeat like in the asp.net > repeater. > DataGridView doesn't appear to do that. I don't know much about the ASP.NET controls. But the Windows Forms namespace includes layout controls, such ...

new worm or something?
This last week my daily spam volume as like trippled from it's usually, on Friday I had about 100 bulk e-mails and this morning, I'm already up to 450 and I'm only at 30%. Most of them have attachments. Anyone else notice the uprise or is it just me. I thought there might be a new worm or exploit out there that's causing all this. Is there a website you guys usually check out that is good for this type of news? Someone's probably sold your name to a new list or something like that. Annoying, isn't it? Do you have antispam software? I've been very pleased with S...

Pivot Table Help #2
I have a sheet that I use to keep track daily of the value of inventory by day, and grouped by week. The value of the inventory is tracked by three different subgroups. (Below is an example). On my piviot table the values are grouped by type and by week. So what I get is a five day average of each Type by week, which is exactly what I want. My averages are as follows: M $796091.00 O $615069.00 R $3180669.00 =================== Grand Totals $1530609.00 The grand totals are where I need help. The grand total is an average of the avaerages. Is it possible to display a sum of the av...

Word 2007
I have created several tables in a Word document. I would like to know if there is a way to copy the table formatting from one table to the next while still mainiting the information that is currently in the table. Well, one way you could do this would be to:- - click in the Table - TableTools - Design contextual tab - Table Styles group - choose a Style in here and then apply the same Style to the other Tables that you have. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Sammy" wrote: > I have created several tables in a Word d...