Conditinal Format Not Working

I am trying to get a field to turn red if the condition is "High"
I tried using the conditional formatting and it does not work.  I also tried
using the below vba code and this does not work either.  I tried it in the
after update procedure and the on current procedure with no luck.  Could this
be an Access bug?

Private Sub Critical_AfterUpdate()
If Me.Critical = "High" Then
Me.Critical.ForeColor = vbRed
End If
End Sub

Dee,
    Is Critical a manually entered text control?  Or a Combo... or a List?
    Is it bound to a text field?  Details please...
    Your code, although faulty (so far), should have (at least) turned
Critical to red
after an update with "High"  See below for further tweaking of that code...
    Also, what version of Access are you using... and if 2000 or greater...
have
you tried Conditional Formatting?
          ------------------
    You'll also need to indicate what color you want Critical, if it's not
"High."
Otherwise, once you've turned Critical red, and go to another record... that
value will be red too... regardless whether it's "High" or not.

    And... you'll also need to have that same code in the OnCurrent event of
the form, so that when you arrive at a record with Critical = "High", the
text
is made red.  And if not, the text would be made black.

Private Sub Critical_AfterUpdate()
    If Me.Critical = "High" Then
        Me.Critical.ForeColor = vbRed
    Else
        Me.Critical.ForeColor = vbBlack
    End If
--
    hth
    Al Campagna

"Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to get a field to turn red if the condition is "High"
> I tried using the conditional formatting and it does not work.  I also
> tried
> using the below vba code and this does not work either.  I tried it in the
> after update procedure and the on current procedure with no luck.  Could
> this
> be an Access bug?
>
> Private Sub Critical_AfterUpdate()
> If Me.Critical = "High" Then
> Me.Critical.ForeColor = vbRed
> End If
> End Sub

0
Al
5/18/2010 11:12:49 PM
Yes, I tried conditional formatting first since that would be the easiest and
quickest - so I thought - but it did not work.  So then I tried the vba code
and that did not work.  I also tried using your code in both the combo box
after update event and the forms on current event.  Nothing happens.  I dont
get any errors.(critical is the como box - in a single form).  I am using
Access version 2007.

I tested the conditional formatting using "field has focus" and that works -
but not the "expression is"

"Al Campagna" wrote:

> Dee,
>     Is Critical a manually entered text control?  Or a Combo... or a List?
>     Is it bound to a text field?  Details please...
>     Your code, although faulty (so far), should have (at least) turned
> Critical to red
> after an update with "High"  See below for further tweaking of that code...
>     Also, what version of Access are you using... and if 2000 or greater...
> have
> you tried Conditional Formatting?
>           ------------------
>     You'll also need to indicate what color you want Critical, if it's not
> "High."
> Otherwise, once you've turned Critical red, and go to another record... that
> value will be red too... regardless whether it's "High" or not.
>
>     And... you'll also need to have that same code in the OnCurrent event of
> the form, so that when you arrive at a record with Critical = "High", the
> text
> is made red.  And if not, the text would be made black.
>
> Private Sub Critical_AfterUpdate()
>     If Me.Critical = "High" Then
>         Me.Critical.ForeColor = vbRed
>     Else
>         Me.Critical.ForeColor = vbBlack
>     End If
> > End Sub
> --
>     hth
>     Al Campagna
>     Microsoft Access MVP 2007-2009
>     http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
>
>     "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your life."
>

> "Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to get a field to turn red if the condition is "High"
> > I tried using the conditional formatting and it does not work.  I also
> > tried
> > using the below vba code and this does not work either.  I tried it in the
> > after update procedure and the on current procedure with no luck.  Could
> > this
> > be an Access bug?
> >
> > Private Sub Critical_AfterUpdate()
> > If Me.Critical = "High" Then
> > Me.Critical.ForeColor = vbRed
> > End If
> > End Sub
>

> .

What did your expression look like in Conditional Formatting? The correct
syntax should be

[Critical] = "High"

just like that, with the square brackets around the control's name. Then set
the forecolor to red. If [Critical] isn't "High" the formatting should revert
to the default, which is usually black.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
5/19/2010 5:48:48 PM
Dee,
    I suspected that this was a combo box, because a text control with
"High" in it would have at least gone red after entereing "High".
    Sounds like what is "displayed" in Critical is not what the real value
of Critical is.
    Please describe your combo in detail... Columns, NoOfCols, ColWidths,
etc...

    And try this...
    If the your combo is named Critical, then place an unbound text
control on the form, and give it a ControlSource of...
        = [Critical]

  **When you set the value of combo Critical, what does the text control
indicate?
  **Does it display "High" when "High" is selected in Critical?
  **Is Critical a Lookup field in your table design?
--

> [...]
>>     Else
>>         Me.Critical.ForeColor = vbBlack
>>     End If
>> > End Sub
>> --
>>     hth
>>     Al Campagna
>>     Microsoft Access MVP 2007-2009
>>     http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
>>
>>     "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your
>> life."
>>

>> "Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to get a field to turn red if the condition is "High"
>> > I tried using the conditional formatting and it does not work.  I also
>> > tried
>> > using the below vba code and this does not work either.  I tried it in
>> > the
>> > after update procedure and the on current procedure with no luck.

0
Al
5/19/2010 6:20:03 PM
Al,

It is a look up field, so I changed "high" to its number value and it now it
works in both the conditional format and in vba.

Thank you!

"Al Campagna" wrote:

> [...]
> >> that
> >> value will be red too... regardless whether it's "High" or not.
> >>
> >>     And... you'll also need to have that same code in the OnCurrent event
> >> of
> >> the form, so that when you arrive at a record with Critical = "High", the
> >> text
> >> is made red.  And if not, the text would be made black.
> >>
> >> Private Sub Critical_AfterUpdate()
> >>     If Me.Critical = "High" Then
> >>         Me.Critical.ForeColor = vbRed
> >>     Else
> >>         Me.Critical.ForeColor = vbBlack
> >>     End If
> >> --
> >>     hth
> >>     Al Campagna
> >>     Microsoft Access MVP 2007-2009
> >>     http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
> >>
> >>     "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your

Very good!  I avoid Loookup fields... just for that reason.
Too con-foosing...
Al

> Al,
>
> It is a look up field, so I changed "high" to its number value and it now
> it
> works in both the conditional format and in vba.
>
> Thank you!
>
> "Al Campagna" wrote:
>
>> Dee,
>>     I suspected that this was a combo box, because a text control with
>> "High" in it would have at least gone red after entereing "High".
>>     Sounds like what is "displayed" in Critical is not what the real
>> value
>> of Critical is.
>>     Please describe your combo in detail... Columns, NoOfCols, ColWidths,
>> etc...
>>
>>     And try this...
>>     If the your combo is named Critical, then place an unbound text
>> control on the form, and give it a ControlSource of...
>>         = [Critical]
>>
>>   **When you set the value of combo Critical, what does the text control
>> indicate?
>>   **Does it display "High" when "High" is selected in Critical?
>>   **Is Critical a Lookup field in your table design?
>> --
>>     hth
>>     Al Campagna
>>     Microsoft Access MVP 2007-2009
>>     http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
>>
>>     "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your
>> life."
>>
>> "Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, I tried conditional formatting first since that would be the
>> > easiest
>> > and
>> > quickest - so I thought - but it did not work.  So then I tried the vba
>> > code
>> > and that did not work.  I also tried using your code in both the combo
>> > box
>> > after update event and the forms on current event.  Nothing happens.  I
>> > dont
>> > get any errors.(critical is the como box - in a single form).  I am
>> > using
>> > Access version 2007.
>> >
>> > I tested the conditional formatting using "field has focus" and that
>> > works -
>> > but not the "expression is"

>> .

0
Al

linking pages in two different work books
trying to link two different pages in two seperate workbooks. filling in statistical data in first workbook in specific fields. then having to open the next work book and insertin the same in formation again. don't wnat to be redundent and would lik to populate worksheet in workbook 2 with the same input from workshee in work book -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am also in need of this ability. I have a list on one sheet and a chart with the names from the list o another, same workbook. I have been linking each individual name fro the list to their location on the ...

Formatting tabs in a workbook
Is it possible to format a workbook so that a tab is set for each day of the month? I do daily reports on excel and I would like the fromat to goautomatically throughout the workbook. Hello Glen If you mean automatically create new workbook and name worbook tabs with numbers from 1 to number of days in month, this could be done with some programming. HTH Cordially Pascal "Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news:B78FF460-2A77-4540-92E3-78C5137A0AA1@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to format a workbook so that a tab is set for each day of...

have a class like CString but work with ASCII in Unicode mode?
Hi all, I am finding a class work like CString class, but i only need that it work well with ASCII in Unicode mode? CString work with Unicode code in Unicode mode, so i dn't like use it. Using char [MAX_PATH], it isn't good. You could just use CStringA to force it to use ANSI (MBCS). Tom "Duy Trinh (Mr.)" <duy.trinh@mobinex.com> wrote in message news:%230%23VIwQDHHA.2328@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I am finding a class work like CString class, but i only need that it work > well with ASCII in Unicode mode? > CString work with Unicode cod...

Send/Receive Commands stop working 02-13-10
Ofter, after opening Windows Mail and sending and receiving emails for a period of time, the Send and Receive commands will stop working. The only way I have found to solve this problem is to shut down Windows Mail and then enter it again. What could be going wrong here and how might I fix this annoyance? What antivirus software do you use? "Al_Colv" <Al_Colv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FEE558E0-8609-444E-9D67-80B2410A7D75@microsoft.com... > Ofter, after opening Windows Mail and sending and receiving emails for a > period of tim...

Conditional formating using named cell
Hi. In a pivottable in Excel 07 I have the monthly results for a department. I use conditional formating to indicate if the spend value for year to date exceeds the total-year-plan with more than a certain pct. This pct will change over the year, depending on the month shown. Till now I have typed the value in the conditional formating: =3D($J9*4/12)<$G9 [J is total-year-plan and G is the spend value for year to date.] I would like to make the formula dynamic, and have it to refer to a cell called ValueForRed. I have tried to tye =3D($J9*ValueForRed)<$G9 but it does not work. Any s...

Money 2007
Hello, I have the following problem if someone can help me please: I'm starting to setup the budget but there are no % numbers on each budget group, just little square and illegible characters, is this a bug? or am I doing something wrong? thanks for any help -- Cris ...

Upgrade .pst file from 2002 to 2003 format
I want to take advantage of some of the new features of the Outlook 2003 ..pst file format, namely the bigger capacity. After I upgraded OfficeXP to Office 2003, the settings migration worked just fine. Now I want to upgrade the .pst file format. Is that necessary and if it is, how do I do it? Thanks, ~alan Outlook 2003 will create a PST file in the new format by default. Just copy the contents of your old PST file into a new one created by Outlook 2003. Be sure you then set the new one to be your default. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "~~Alan~~" <alan.shepro_NOSPAM...

Problem with termination of a console app within an MFC app while console is working
Hi, I have a mfc application. It executes a console application with CreateProcess which is a lenghtly process. I will hide the console app from the user. My problem is this: I want to close MFC app AND console application While hidden console app. is still active. How can I do this? Code is below: void CCPSDoc::OnAnalyseRun() { // TODO: Add your command handler code here CString str ; str = "cmd /c waitdlg.exe" ; //an app can work 15 minutes STARTUPINFO si; PROCESS_INFORMATION pi; ZeroMemory( &si, sizeof(si) ); si.cb = sizeof(si); si.dwFlags = STARTF_USESHOWWI...

Change default number format
Anyone have any idea how to do this? You could create a template workbook (*.xlt) and format all the cells with the numberformat you want. Then use that whenever you want to use that special format. If you want to use that number format for all new workbooks, name the template workbook book.xlt and store it in your XLStart folder. If you save another copy as sheet.xlt, then any new sheet added to an existing workbook will inherit that number format. mbrucker wrote: > > Anyone have any idea how to do this? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Right click the cell. > format cells ...

Convert Word 2003 to Works
Hi, the new system that I purchased has OfficeWorks installed which I would rather use that the (cumbersum) Office 2003 program and would like to know if their is an easy way to covert the xxx.doc files to Works xxx.wps format? Thanks, Bob Does "Works" open the doc files? If so, you don't need to convert. Boblink wrote: > Hi, the new system that I purchased has OfficeWorks installed which I would > rather use that the (cumbersum) Office 2003 program and would like to know if > their is an easy way to covert the xxx.doc files to Works xxx.wps format? &g...

How to convert fraction format to text format ......
....... and still shows the fraction instead of decimals? I have formatted a range of cells to fraction. Then I key in the = following values:- 1/2 1/5 1/4 1/3 2/7 9/16 etc. etc. Then I format the cells to text and the fractions are converted to = decimals. How can I have both text format and the fractions displayed = as above without writing a formula? I tried custom format, paste special>values etc. and had no luck. I am also having trouble with a formula which works most of the time but = not *all the time*. e.g. A7 formatted to fraction>8/16 then I key in 11/16.=20 The form...

Windows Media Player Format GUIDs
To display MP4 videos from our WPD device, we report to Windows Media Player that the WPD_OBJECT_FORMAT of the object is WPD_OBJECT_FORMAT_MP4. Where will I find the GUID for MOV videos that Windows Media Player now supports? Thanks, Mridul. ...

date format
How do I change the date format to 10-Nov-2003 instead of 11/10/2003 in Outlook? change the date format in windows control panel, regional settings. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, Visual Quick Start Guide - OneNote 2003 Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&...

Find & Replace formating
Any suggestions? Problem with Find & Replace and formating. Sally tried to do a find and replace with the following: find "US", replace with "United States." Instead of replacing it as she has indicated, it replaced it with UNITED STATES. When she undid this and tried to do it again, she looked at the more specific find/replace options (where you can search for a certain format)--in that section, all of the format boxes under "effects" were checked. (I'm not ever sure how that is possible. Superscript AND subscript?) She unchecked them, ran the find rep...

How does XmlSchemaValidationFlags.ProcessSchemaLocation actually work?
Hello to all -- I am familiar with Xml in general and NET 1.1 Xml, but I am new to the ..NET 2.0 changes in System.Xml. I am trying to validate an XML document that is based on a schema that imports several other schemas. I am using VS2005 and .NET 2.0 on Windows 2003 Server with SP1. I am using the Validate method of the XmlDocument class. I am passing in an instance of XmlReader. My code is as follows (I'll explain the commented code in a second): XmlDocument xd = new XmlDocument(); XmlReaderSettings readerSettings = new XmlReaderSettings(); //XmlSchemaSet sche...

Excel drop down menus stopped working in IE
I have users running both Win2k and WinXP with Office XP, both fully patched experiencing the following issue. When users open an excel file in IE some of the drop down menu items do not work. The File menu works but Edit, View, Insert, Format, Tools, Data, and Adobe PDF buttons do nothing. The Go to, Favorites and Help along with the File menus function. All the drop down menus were working fine up too a few weeks ago. I can open the spreadsheet within Excel (not in a browser) and the buttons function correctly. Does anyone know why/how/when this feature stopped working? I get nothing ...

unable to open Microsoft works files
I am unable to open Microsoft Works files with Word 2004, does anyone know how to find the Works converter files? On 9/29/04 1:50 AM, in article 2e4a01c4a57b$54d01520$a501280a@phx.gbl, "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am unable to open Microsoft Works files with Word 2004, does > anyone know how to find the Works converter files? There aren't any. You can use MacLinkPlus Deluxe to convert Works files, however. Gene van Troyer ------------------------------------------- | Office 2004 | OSX.3.4 | PBG4 | iMac 20&...

bring back ability to format subtotals in pivot tables
You used to be able to highlight all of the subtotals for a given field and with one click and then either shade, change font, etc. and that seems to no longer be possible. If someone knows how to do this, please let me konw! If you enable selection in the pivot table, you'll be able to select parts of the pivot table, and format them. To enable selection: From the Pivot toolbar, choose PivotTable>Select Click on Enable Selection "Pam-ADPT" wrote: > You used to be able to highlight all of the subtotals for a given field and > with one click and then eith...

format cell with maximum value
I have a list of number, say 10rows by 10 columns. I want to specify a conditional setting for each cell so that if the cell has the highest value in its row, the cell will be coloured red. So I will get 10 cells that will be coloured red. How do I do that? Thanks Use conditional formatting. If your data starts in A7, then in A7, Format > Conditional Formatting. Use the drop-downs and text box to create your condition: If cell value is equal to =MAX($A7:$J7), then set your format appropriately. Copy the format through your entire table. "Frank Drost" wrote: > I have ...

Formatting incomming mail
Hi, Is it possible to format incomming mail, so that lines starting with "> " show up in a different colour. I want to mimic what ximian does with incomming mail as it makes it very easy to search for "inline" comments in emails. Thanks, Akshay No, if you have a message marked with > it means the message is in Plain Text which doesn't support colors. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office ...

OnInitDialog the event sink does'nt work!
Hi, I am developing an activex with eVC that fire events more like a callback function. Probably is not the best aproach but it seemed to work until I tried to fire events on the activex control on the OnInitDialog event to initialize the control with user data. Seems that the event trapper starts after OnInitDialog! Sure is by design, but how can I go around this? What event fire after OnInitDialog where I can put extra init routines? Working on callback functions for the activeX I tried deriving an OCX class to override some method to make it work more like a callback function but I d...

Any way to round to denominations of 5000 using number format code
I'ld like to have numbers be shown as rounded to the nearest 5000. Thus, if a cell has the value 92,345, I would like it to show 92,000. I want to do this with the format codes...and NOT with a worksheet fxn if at all possible. Also, is there any way to modify this so that it would always round up or down? Thanks. On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:09:04 -0700, "consumer" <consumer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'ld like to have numbers be shown as rounded to the nearest 5000. > >Thus, if a cell has the value 92,345, I would like it to show 92,000. I >wa...

Still not working
I used your method and I get the error- An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. (rsInternalError) Get Online Help The source of the report definition has not been specified. My .Net command- Process.Start("http://localhost/ReportServer?/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=%2fLegReviewRS%2fReviewDetail&rs%3aCommand=Render&RevID=" & CurrentRevID) It is a hidden parameter. This has always worked with the following parameterized command- Process.Start("http://localhost/Reports/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=%2fLegReview...

I use Outlook 2007 and Windows XP PRo. I can see that advanced search doesn't work for me anymore. When I search the inbox for messages from smith, it returns no hits -- even though I can see emails from Smith in the inbox. This is just one example. Sometimes it returns some but not all of the messages that meet the criterion. any advice? Thanks , Are you using an Exchange server? If so, full text indexing may be turned on for your mail store, and may account for the oddities you're seeing. Indexing is usually set to run at some preset time, and until new messages are indexe...

Send To\Mail Recipient not working
I have WinXP w/Outlook 2003. When I right click a file and choose Send To\Mail Recipient, the feature does not work. I have got it to work one time by going to Control Panels\Add Remove Programs\Set Program Access and Defaults. There I select Microsoft Windows, (instead of Custom), restart the computer and I can then send to mail recipient, but only one time. After that I get the Error message, Microsoft Office Outlook, The operation failed. This feature works when I select Outlook Express as my default Email client in Internet options. Please can someone help! Thanks in advance. Gregg ...