Auto fill form

Hi,

I have a table that contains the following information:

Project number; Vendor; Owner; Comments

I would like to have a form that when the project number is filled out the
Vendor and Owner also fills in automatically.  That way the user only has to
input comments regarding the update of the project.

I have tried everything but I am missing some thing somewhere.  I am very new
to access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sara

0
sara_in_ga

I would suggest that you need another table.  This is because you will have
more than one comment entered for each project.
So, if you create a table called "Comments" with the projectnumber as a
foreign key, like so:

ID data type Autonumber
Commentfield data type Memo
ProjectNumber  data type numeric

Then delete the comment field from your existing table.

Finally, create a form, with a record source of your first table, and add a
subform with your comments table as its recordsource.  The link master/child
is projectnumber.

Users can cycle thru the projects to the one they want to comment on, and
enter the comments in the subform.
Any reports could be set up in a similar fashion.

Damon

"sara_in_ga" <u35784@uwe> wrote in message news:7510bec9a957a@uwe...
> Hi,
>
> I have a table that contains the following information:
>
> Project number; Vendor; Owner; Comments
>
> I would like to have a form that when the project number is filled out the
> Vendor and Owner also fills in automatically.  That way the user only has
> input comments regarding the update of the project.
>
> I have tried everything but I am missing some thing somewhere.  I am very
> new
> to access.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Sara

0
Damon
7/12/2007 3:00:11 PM
Klatuu - Thanks for your help.

Thanks, Sara

Klatuu wrote:
>If you mean the project record already exists and you want to navigate to it,
>you will want to use an unbound Combo Box to search with.  The combo box
>wizard should walk you through creating the control.  If not, post back, and
>I can provide an example.
>> Hi,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>> Thanks,
>> Sara

0
sara_in_ga
7/12/2007 6:34:08 PM
Damon,

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Sara

Damon Heron wrote:
>I would suggest that you need another table.  This is because you will have
>more than one comment entered for each project.
>So, if you create a table called "Comments" with the projectnumber as a
>foreign key, like so:
>
>ID data type Autonumber
>Commentfield data type Memo
>ProjectNumber  data type numeric
>
>Then delete the comment field from your existing table.
>
>Finally, create a form, with a record source of your first table, and add a
>subform with your comments table as its recordsource.  The link master/child
>is projectnumber.
>
>Users can cycle thru the projects to the one they want to comment on, and
>enter the comments in the subform.
>Any reports could be set up in a similar fashion.
>
>Damon
>
>> Hi,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
>> Thanks,
>> Sara

0
sara_in_ga
7/12/2007 6:34:39 PM
From what I understand this can't be done on a continuous form.  Is that
right?  Do you know of an alternative?
--
Andrew Buchter

"Damon Heron" wrote:

> I would suggest that you need another table.  This is because you will have
> more than one comment entered for each project.
> So, if you create a table called "Comments" with the projectnumber as a
> foreign key, like so:
>
> ID data type Autonumber
> Commentfield data type Memo
> ProjectNumber  data type numeric
>
> Then delete the comment field from your existing table.
>
> Finally, create a form, with a record source of your first table, and add a
> subform with your comments table as its recordsource.  The link master/child
> is projectnumber.
>
> Users can cycle thru the projects to the one they want to comment on, and
> enter the comments in the subform.
> Any reports could be set up in a similar fashion.
>
> Damon
>

> "sara_in_ga" <u35784@uwe> wrote in message news:7510bec9a957a@uwe...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a table that contains the following information:
> >
> > Project number; Vendor; Owner; Comments
> >
> > I would like to have a form that when the project number is filled out the
> > Vendor and Owner also fills in automatically.  That way the user only has
> > input comments regarding the update of the project.
> >
> > I have tried everything but I am missing some thing somewhere.  I am very
> > new
> > to access.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sara

auto number index snafu
I have a 2003 DB I've been adding to for 2 years. It's at 423 records = now. I export to a PDF for simpler searching and viewing. Using the search the other day, I went to grab DVD 186, on carousel tower= 2. And what came up didn't match the record. The index was totally screwed. I went thru all 423 records and created a numeric index by hand. The auto number field is useless. But I would still prefer an auto number field. Trouble is when I create the auto number field, it's still off the actual numbers of the records.. ie: 99-100 is actually 99-186,187, 188, 189 100-385,...

Forms & Worksheets
I want to create a form in word that will automatically add entered info into an excel worksheet? Is this possible Charlene, Setup you data in ordered columns, with headings in row 1, then menu Data>Form. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Charlene" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8A03DD4-85DB-4F80-B94A-C568FB95531E@microsoft.com... > I want to create a form in word that will automatically add entered info into an excel worksheet? Is th...

Additional lookup for contacts on opportunity form
Hi, I try to customise CRM 3.0 without any training - therefore a question for which I need some help. On the opportunity form exists a look-up (potentional customer) for contacts/accounts. I'd like to add an aditional one to the form (to replace the decision maker). I tryed to create a new field on the opportunity entity but there's no field-type "look-up". It's also not possible to create a new relationship to the contact entity (both system entity's). Does anybody of you know how I can do this? (if yes - please explain it more detailed...). Thanks Joerg Look...

Auto complete in Excel (Office) 2003
Is it possible to increase the *memory* of autocomplete?? I notice in the columns that excel will attempt to autocomplete if the text has been used in the last 100 or so cells (i think). What I would like is it to attempt to remember , say, 500 cells back. Is this possible?? Have I explained myself well enough? :-) Cheers Bob Check http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219730 fo possible solution -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Auto Forward mail to a group of External addresses
Can someone please tell me how I create an Auto Forward to a group of external email addresses. I want to setup an auto forward on my exchange so that all mail sent to forward@mydomain.com is then forwarded to a group of email accounts such as me@hotmail.com, me@yahoo.com, user@mail.com. Can someone please tell me how I set this up on an exchange server. I know how to do it for an individual but I can't work out how I create an auto forward for a group of people. Thanks for any advice! what version Exchange? only the terminology is different...create custom recipients/contacts ...

Outlook 2003 Imap Auto Purge wish list
I hope someone at Microsoft can code in a auto purge Imap deleted email function into there next Service Pack. I can see a problem rolling this out to our employees. There going to delete messages and those messages are going to stay on the Email server until they do a Purge. I'm afraid they just won't do this. We use Imap. No auto purge means emails staying on the server which over time just takes up hard drive space and makes tape backups take longer. wayne Hi Wayne, You should send suggestions to mswish@microsoft.com as the newsgroups are not monitored for feature request...

Forms 07-27-07
Hi, A VB Code is used that has the following line: Me.Visible = False (Me refers to the forms names frmBirthsearch) After this line a second form (form2) is opned based on a query that reads two dates from the frmBirthsearch using the line code: DoCmd.OpenForm "frmBirthdates", acViewNormal at this point frmbearthsearh is hidden. What command shold I add after this in order to close the frmbirthsearch? ...

Auto forward incoming mails.
Outlook 2003. How to configure such that all incoming mails to exchange will auto forward to my personnal email address? You can create a rule for that; Tools-> Rules and Alerts Note that automatic forwarding is disabled by (secure) default on the Exchange server. To enable see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/automaticreply.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Emyeu" <cmchong20@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uNQsdGAkEHA....

Zero filling a number field
I have an auto number field that I want to zero fill to six digits but can't figure out how. Any ideas? You don''t say where you're trying to do this, but basically Format(YourAutoNumber, "000000") pdlginternet@aol.com wrote: >I have an auto number field that I want to zero fill to six digits but >can't figure out how. Any ideas? -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200711/1 You can't do that wi...

forms and column lengths
Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the row above?? Hi there's n o bulit-in feature for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Blair" <Blair@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C1D2CAAD-C4E9-492A-ADF4-CBDB659514A3@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row > when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the > row > above?? ...

Enable/Disable a Form Control Based on Security Group Permissions
How do I enable or disable a control in a form based on a user’s security group membership? For example: If I have a checkbox on a form (call it box1), I want box1 to be enabled if the user who opened Access is a member of a security group called “Breaker Test Admin.” For members of any other group (except of course “Admins”), box1 should be disabled. Thank you, for your help! On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:57:13 GMT, "BenS" <u35527@uwe> wrote: >How do I enable or disable a control in a form based on a user�s security >group membership? For example: If I have a checkbox on a ...

Trying to Create a pop-up form
Due to size limitations on my main form, I am trying to create a form that, when I select a button, it pops up like a dialog box with the main form, Frm_Escheat, in the background I've created a qry which is the record source on my pop-up form. In the criteria of the query is: [Forms]![Frm_Escheat]![statecode] where [statecode] is the field from the Master Form. So, my "pop-up" form is activated when I select the button, but my problem is that it just goes to the pop-up form without the main form showing in the background. Thanks for your help. It would probably hel...

FormatAutoshape->ColorsAndLines->Fill->Color->Background
Does anyone know what the above switch does? As far as I can see, it forces a fill of white. I am using Office 2003 with Windows XP. It forces the fill to match the backgrouns fill at any point (I guess you have a white background). Give your slide a background picture or gradient (right click > format background), cover it with eg a plain blue rectangle. Now insert a circle and do as you did above. Move the circle around to see how it works. -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials...

Auto Fill a Textbox in Form
What is the simplest way to auto fill a textbox (in a form) with the maximum values of more than one field in the last record entered, in the same table? Can the =DMax function be used for this? I have tried =DMax(“[field_1]”, “[field_2]”, “[field_3]” , “table_1”)+1, but this doesn’t work. Is something like this possible with two or more feilds with DMax? Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com See MinOfList() and MaxOfList() here: http://allenbrowne.com/func-09.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allen...

user forms #5
Hello, I have created a user form (click on New Employee). How do I get the information entered in to this form to appear in the correct columns in the Payroll data sheet? And how do I get the combo boxes to display the drop down information from the sheet called input. Regards Runner77 -- Runner77 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Runner77's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30388 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500502 ...

Fill Zeros on Account Segment
Is there a way to have an account segment automatically fill with zeros if the users tabs through the segment? Yes, you can use a free tool called Lookup Plus from Rockton Software www.RocktonSoftware.com HS "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bdbd01c48958$2c32ca70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to have an account segment automatically > fill with zeros if the users tabs through the segment? I have Lookup Plus installed and as near as I can tell it doesn't fill in zeros for you. HSalim wrote: > Yes, you can use a free ...

Adding GAL users into a custom form
Hi, I have created a custom form, and am required to add a series of approvers. What I am trying to achieve is: * Add users from my GAL into a text field, so that when the form is sent, they do not get initially CC'ed the form. Is this achievable, and if so, how do I do it (if you could help by including any appropriate code, that would be great). Regards, Rick ...

chart auto
Hello, i am studying statistics and i have something to do but i don't know. i want to make a work book which i entry a value every month, i want every month the bar chart which i have created to auto add the value of the new month. how can i set the properties in the bar chart like, every month of every year to have the same color (auto)? Thank you for your time ...

User Form Formula ?
Hi On a user form I have 2 Text Boxes in which to enter cash figures Excluding TAX - on the worksheet these 2 figures enter columns E & G - in column K I have the formula =IF(SUM(E3+G3)=0"", SUM(E3+G3)*17.5% - If I create a new Text Box on the user form could it generate the Tax as the formula above and then on clicking Add Iformation Button it would enter column K thus doing away with the formula in column K on the worksheet which is sometimes altered by mistake. Any help much appreciated Cheers ---- Mully Yes, you could add TextBox3.Text = Format(CStr((Val(Tex...

Can I set an auto-bcc recipient for every outgoing message in MO6
I need to have every outgoing message, no matter who they addressed "to", automatically bcc'd to a different one person. How can I do that in MS Outlook Express 6? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer...

How to change form detail section height?
Hi All, This ought to be simple, but it's stumping me. I have a form (Access 2002) with a form header and footer and detail section. I have a combobox and label I want to have appear and disappear based on the setting of a check box. I also want the detail section to shorten up when I hide the controls. When hiding the controls, I set their 'Visible' properties to False, then set their 'Top' properties to 0 to get them out of the area to be shrunk. Finally, I set the detail section's 'Height' property to a smaller value. To bring them bac...

My Device detects as MTP(auto play pops up too) and WMP11 opens,but does not show the device in the Sync Tab
I have a device which when connected to the Windows XP host ( with Service Pack 3 and WMP11 installed), would result in the auto play option coming up asking how to open"View files,Open with Windows Media player to sync) and when I select the WMP option, WMP11 opens up but the device is not listed in the Sync tab. On further fiddling, what i see if i set the following keys in the registry under HKLM\SYSTEM \currentcontrolset\enum\usb\vid_xxx&pid_xxx\xxx\Device Parameters ( here xxx refers to vid,pid and the serialnumber values which are irrelevant here): EnableLegacySupport...